Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:45 am
Lock him up.
:yeah:
Hubs (and me) at the Rockabilly Fest
ImageImageImage x4

tek

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

Post by tek »

This footnote is some mighty fine lawyerin!
By August 15, 2019, Mr. Flynn’s new counsel received eighteen hard drives from former counsel at Covington & Burling LLP (“Covington”), which contained more than 330,000 documents. Present counsel has been working as diligently as possible since first appearing in June 2019. Present counsel provided the Court new and extensive briefings and motions on issues important to Mr. Flynn’s defense—based primarily on information the government only began dribbling out over the last year or so—since its first Bradyproduction of March 4, 2018, and the Inspector General’s Reports. We are a small team working on a shoe-string budget funded by thousands of hard-working patriots across the country who are making non-tax-deductible contributions primarily in amounts from $1 to $100 to www.MikeFlynnDefenseFund.com.
There's no way back
from there to here

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'm convinced.

:bored:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Advice to Sidney: Don't take the job if you can't do it whether from lack of staff or money.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

When he plead guilty, didn't that take the case against his son off the block?
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm
When he plead guilty, didn't that take the case against his son off the block?
Yes.
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 pm
Advice to Sidney: Don't take the job if you can't do it whether from lack of staff or money.
Or competence.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 pm
Or competence.
:clap:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

So, his son was gonna walk, he was gonna get probation and then the GOOD LAWYERS came along and they bvoth might end up doing years.

Victory!
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Gregg wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm
So, his son was gonna walk, he was gonna get probation and then the GOOD LAWYERS came along and they bvoth might end up doing years.

Victory!
That would be a Birther level legal victory. :dance:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Barr isn't going to let anyone touch Flynn's son.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

I can't help but love how Rudy Davis' second favorite lawyer is failing like this :rotflmao:
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Oh, look. Sidney Powell got a big profile feature in Politico. Apparently, she has ESP!
When I met Powell in Manhattan early last month, I asked if she was concerned the new aggressive legal strategy might backfire; Flynn had already reaffirmed his guilty plea a year ago in a testy hearing before Sullivan, who is respected as a fair-minded, no-nonsense jurist. But Powell was feeling bullish. “There’s not going to be a sentencing,” she said to me over breakfast at the W Hotel in Times Square. She wore a beige turtleneck sweater and a diamond necklace that sparkled, like the glint in her eye when she made her prediction.

“I don’t know how, but I can read the way these particular government lawyers say things to know that they are lying and hiding things,” she explained, referring to the prosecutors in the Flynn case. “And I knew as soon as I started hearing and seeing what was going on with General Flynn that he had been set up.” (The lead prosecutor in the Flynn case did not respond to requests for comment for this article.)
Of course, that was right before Judge Sullivan wrote that opinion basically blowing up every one of her arguments. But such things are unimportant when you are the bestest lawyer ever. Actually, the rest of the piece makes me sad. Powell started as a federal prosecutor, and then went into the private sector with a particular affinity for castigating prosecutorial misdeeds, which is a cause near and dear to my heart. But that cause didn't really gain her the celebrity she craved until she jumped on the Trump train.

Also she wears leopard print boots, which are pictured in the article.
It wasn’t until we both stood up to leave that I realized how tall Powell was (six feet) and that she was wearing tight-fitting leopard print pants and matching boots with two-inch heels and gleaming spikes. She saw my eyes grow wide at the sight of the boots. “I call these my attitude adjusters,” Powell said with a big smile. “And I don’t mean my attitude.”
Good grief.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

I wonder if she owns a Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 am
It wasn’t until we both stood up to leave that I realized how tall Powell was (six feet) and that she was wearing tight-fitting leopard print pants and matching boots with two-inch heels and gleaming spikes. She saw my eyes grow wide at the sight of the boots. “I call these my attitude adjusters,” Powell said with a big smile. “And I don’t mean my attitude.”
Good grief.
I've dealt with female attorneys like her before. (For the record, I'm also a female attorney, just in case anyone thinks I'm being sexist.) They think they have to come across as ballbusters to be taken seriously. I was defending a client in a deposition once, and this female attorney showed up in a biker jacket. She proceeded to treat my client very roughly and rudely, attempting gotcha questions. The problem is that she was coming from a very weak position factually and legally and my client was very well prepared. :boxing: Biker chick attorney lost the case, in a big way. (One of her clients was caught lying under oath about having received $29k, and it was revealed that biker chick attorney knew about it.) BTW, she didn't wear the biker jacket in court.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Notorial Dissent

Aw, it'd have been such a much more magnificent fail if she'd worn the biker jacket to court, nothing like showing respect and professionalism...…..
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

bob

Post by bob »

Flynn filed a supplemental sentencing memorandum.

It is "somewhat" difficult to follow, but it seems to be arguing that, if the court does not permit Flynn to withdraw his plea, he should be sentenced to probation.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:46 pm

It is "somewhat" difficult to follow, but it seems to be arguing that, if the court does not permit Flynn to withdraw his plea, he should be sentenced to probation.
Lock him up already.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

bob wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:46 pm

whaaa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hubs (and me) at the Rockabilly Fest
ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob »

Methinks Flynn's new lawyers didn't think this all the way through.

(And FIFmyself.)

Notorial Dissent

Rhetorical question. Just what did the brain trust that is his new collection of lawyers think was going to happen when he withdrew his plea? Oh gee, sorry, and let him go???? He made a plea to avoid the other charges and the very real time serious they could bring.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:lol: LOL. Judge Sullivan asks for briefing on the standard in D.C. to permit withdrawal of a guilty plea. And then tells the parties what the lead case is and what the standard is.

I wonder if Flynn's lawyers are so clueless that they will not realize what the judge has done. I think all they are doing is digging a deeper hole.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

For those playing along at home... Here's the Readers' Digest of Cray:

The district court has the discretion to grant a motion to withdraw a guilty plea before the sentence is imposed "upon a showing by the defendant of any fair and just reason."

The court will only set aside the guilty plea "for good cause shown."

The Court considers three factors:

1. the defendant must have a "legally cognizable defense" to the charge;

2. the defendant must how either an error in the taking of the plea or some "more substantial" reason he failed to press the case. Cray says this is really the starting point; if there is no error, the appellate court is unlikely to reverse even if the defendant can show he had a defense.

3. If the defendant can show both of those things, then the question is whether the government would be substantially prejudiced by the delay. I think this means that the defense doesn't get to game the system, drag the thing out, then come in at the last minute with a motion to withdraw the guilty plea after all the government's witnesses have died or lost their incentive to testify, or whatever.

I think the judge is telling them they're never going to get there.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Notorial Dissent

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:37 pm
:lol: LOL. Judge Sullivan asks for briefing on the standard in D.C. to permit withdrawal of a guilty plea. And then tells the parties what the lead case is and what the standard is.

I wonder if Flynn's lawyers are so clueless that they will not realize what the judge has done. I think all they are doing is digging a deeper hole.
Based on their performance to date, I would say it is a classic case of whooooshhh!!!

Maybenaut I think never going to get there is the least of their problems catching a clue is where it starts and fails with them, well that and dancing out of their league to begin with.

bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:02 pm
the defendant must how either an error in the taking of the plea or some "more substantial" reason he failed to press the case.
The usual claim here is ineffective assistance of prior counsel, i.e., prior counsel dumptrucked the defendant into taking the plea depite being innocent/the prosecution's case being weak.

Shirley Flynn's prior counsel will be rushing to fall on that sword. :roll:

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”