US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Kendra

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

:?:

Slight take on playing devil's advocate, but how did Manafort walk out with that data? How is polling data stored? Super sekrit stuffs that only Trump and Jared should have their hands on? Could Manafort have walked into an unguarded computer room and copied the file and went on his way with no one being the wiser?

But yeah, if Pauly really stole something from Trump w/o his knowledge, you'd think DOTUS would be ticked and relegate him to coffee boy.

NotaPerson

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Slight take on playing devil's advocate, but how did Manafort walk out with that data? How is polling data stored?
The raw data (poll responses) would be in a computer file. I seriously doubt that Manafort handed over that, though it's entirely possible. More likely he shared crosstabs that the polling firm gave him - showing how the poll responses (opinions on trust in government, for example) varied by age, gender, race, etc. This is the sort of data that the Russians would find useful in targeting social media messages, fake news stories, etc.
Am I being detained?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 pm

NotaPerson wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm
Kendra wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Slight take on playing devil's advocate, but how did Manafort walk out with that data? How is polling data stored?
The raw data (poll responses) would be in a computer file. I seriously doubt that Manafort handed over that, though it's entirely possible. More likely he shared crosstabs that the polling firm gave him - showing how the poll responses (opinions on trust in government, for example) varied by age, gender, race, etc. This is the sort of data that the Russians would find useful in targeting social media messages, fake news stories, etc.
TY. Also just found this which was helpful (to me): https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ith-russia

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Courthouse News

@CourthouseNews
3m3 minutes ago
More
Facing Disbarment, Manafort Resigns as Lawyer http://ow.ly/63e230njcl0
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm
Courthouse News

@CourthouseNews
3m3 minutes ago
More

Ury & Moskow are his lawyers :rotflmao: .

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Azastan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm
Courthouse News

@CourthouseNews
3m3 minutes ago
More

Ury & Moskow are his lawyers :rotflmao: .
:lol: Yeah, I started to question if this was a spoof story when I read that.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Bloomberg
Mueller Says Gates Continues to Cooperate in Several Probes

Rick Gates, who worked on President Donald Trump’s campaign and inauguration, is still cooperating with Special Counsel Robert Mueller on “several ongoing investigations,” Mueller’s office said in a court filing.

Gates, who pleaded guilty to conspiring to defraud the U.S., testified as a prosecution witness against his former boss, onetime Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

Gates’s ongoing cooperation means it’s not appropriate to start his sentencing process, Mueller’s office wrote with defense lawyers in a status report filed Tuesday in federal court in Washington. The two sides asked they be allowed to file another report by March 15.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:39 pm

New docs just out from Mueller. No link yet, just reporting on MSNBC. Heavily redacted.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Brandi Buchman

@BBuchman_CNS
2h2 hours ago
More
And for your reading pleasure - SPC's response in full. The FBI agent's declaration is a mere 30 pages long but with exhibits, the full response comes in at 188 pages.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... reach.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Scott Dworkin

Verified account

@funder
Following Following @funder
More
BREAKING: Court docs say: “in 2017 Manafort told Gates that he was using intermediaries, including [redacted] to get people appointed in the Administration.” Translation: Putin chose Trump’s cabinet, via Manafort. Makes sense. Almost everyone appointed was linked to Putin.

7:07 PM - 15 Jan 2019

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Also today, in the Sekret Grand Jury Subpoena case, the press wants to see all the good stuff.
Motion of Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press for leave to intervene to file a motion to unseal.
Motion of Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press for leave to intervene to file a motion to unseal. in In Re Grand Jury Subpoena, No. 18A669
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... f-the.html
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am

Government's Motion for Leave to File Document Under Seal. This motion itself was filed under seal.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Under.html

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 am

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am
Government's Motion for Leave to File Document Under Seal. This motion itself was filed under seal.
If I ever practice law again, I want you to be my paralegal! :thumbs:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am

While we can only guess and :daydream: who the people are with the redacted names, wouldn't odds be good that some of those folks recognize themselves and might be having panic attacks?

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 am
NMgirl wrote:
Practice law again, Trl! I'm so up for that. During the Nevada trials, I had an index of every document filed, a précis of each, and another index of all the attorneys representing the defendants, as well as all the AUSAs, with detailed biographies. I posted a fraction of the documents I accumulated (my PACER bill was about equal to a luxury trip around the world in a private jet) and it seemed stalk-y to me to post personal details about the attorneys, so I restrained myself on that front. (And I'm now a Twitter buddy of one of the defense attorneys.)

On second thought, you probably don't want to hire me: I tend not to see the forest for the trees. But oh, I really enjoyed the documents and the research.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 am
While we can only guess and :daydream: who the people are with the redacted names, wouldn't odds be good that some of those folks recognize themselves and might be having panic attacks?
And wouldn't that just be delicious.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Daily Beast
Rick Gates Tells Mueller About Trump Team’s Dealings With Israeli Intelligence Firm

Psy Group delivered plans for ‘social media manipulation’ in 2016 and the special counsel is digging in as part of his probe into Mideast influence.

Rick Gates, the former campaign aide to Donald Trump, is cooperating with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into whether individuals from the Middle East worked with the Trump campaign to influence the election, according to two individuals with first-hand knowledge of the investigation.

Gates has answered questions specifically about Psy Group, an Israeli firm that ex-employees say drew up social media manipulation plans to help the Trump campaign, according to sources familiar with the questions. Mueller’s team also asked Gates about interactions with Psy Group’s owner, Joel Zamel, and Lebanese-American businessman George Nader, who worked as an emissary for Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the sources said.

On Tuesday, Mueller’s team said that Gates was cooperating with “several ongoing investigations” in asking a federal judge to delay his sentencing for financial crimes he pleaded guilty to committing with former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort. One of the ongoing investigations is into possible Middle Eastern election influence, three people with knowledge of the probe told The Daily Beast. ...

Gates requested proposals in 2016 from Psy Group that would help Trump in his campaign for president, The New York Times reported last year. Those proposals included social media manipulation tactics such as creating fake avatars to engage voters and Republican campaign delegates. Gates reportedly spoke about the proposals with George Birnbaum, a Republican consultant with connections in Israel. Former Psy Group employees who spoke with The Daily Beast said they only interacted with Birnbaum, whom they were introduced to by an intermediary, and did not have contact with Gates.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 am
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 am
NMgirl wrote:
:snippity:

On second thought, you probably don't want to hire me: I tend not to see the forest for the trees. But oh, I really enjoyed the documents and the research.
That's what the lawyer is for!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/01/16/m ... f-ukraine/
MANAFORT WAS PURSUING A UKRAINIAN “PEACE” DEAL WELL AFTER HE WAS CHARGED FOR LYING ABOUT BEING AN AGENT OF UKRAINE
Great play by play from empty wheel.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Paul J. Manafort, Jr.'s Unopposed Motion for an Extension of Time to File His Reply to the Special Counsel's Declaration in Support of Its Breach Determination
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Reply.html

Unrelated: Who is paying Manafort's legal bills?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:09 am

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm
MANAFORT WAS PURSUING A UKRAINIAN “PEACE” DEAL WELL AFTER HE WAS CHARGED FOR LYING ABOUT BEING AN AGENT OF UKRAINE
emptywheel wrote:In any case, consider how insane this is. Manafort was charged with lying (and getting other people to lie) about his work with Ukraine on October 27, 2017. And yet Manafort appears to have continued that Ukraine-related work for another seven months, while he was supposed to be preparing for his first trial for evading taxes on the funds he earned in Ukraine. And while the government is not telling us what Manafort tried to engage the White House about during that period, timing-wise it may well be that he continued to try to engage the President’s top advisors in this period.
Why should this come as a surprise? He was obstructing justice from his jail cell with the help of his attorneys. Which, by the way, what the actual fuck? I can't believe nothing happened to those guys. (Or am I wrong? Did something happen and I missed it?
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:13 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:09 am
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm
emptywheel wrote:In any case, consider how insane this is. Manafort was charged with lying (and getting other people to lie) about his work with Ukraine on October 27, 2017. And yet Manafort appears to have continued that Ukraine-related work for another seven months, while he was supposed to be preparing for his first trial for evading taxes on the funds he earned in Ukraine. And while the government is not telling us what Manafort tried to engage the White House about during that period, timing-wise it may well be that he continued to try to engage the President’s top advisors in this period.
Why should this come as a surprise? He was obstructing justice from his jail cell with the help of his attorneys. Which, by the way, what the actual fuck? I can't believe nothing happened to those guys. (Or am I wrong? Did something happen and I missed it?
Nope. You got it.
Uuumm. When you blinked, the goal posts were moved.
The Mercury Project

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:15 am

Sounds to me like he's expecting a pardon.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”