U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Kendra

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:02 pm
Try not to hurl but, IMO, the gray is more attractive than that god-awful shoe polish look he's been sporting.

Now back to my regularly scheduled disgust for the whole shebang.
I agree.

RVInit

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Try not to hurl but, IMO, the gray is more attractive than that god-awful shoe polish look he's been sporting.

I agree. He looks like a real person now. That shoe polish hair was gawdawful.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:

I agree. My first thought was that he looks different but not bad. Better than the obviously dyed look.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:

I agree. My first thought was that he looks different but not bad. Better than the obviously dyed look.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:20 pm

There is nothing wrong with a white head of hair so long as it is natural.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Wouldn't you love to know what was in that storage locker?

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Whip

Post by Whip » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 am
kate520 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm
He even looks a little like Manafort.
Unlike Manafort, Sorvino has been an amazing actor, singer, sculptor, businessman and humanitarian. He has one of the most diverse and impressive resumes in Hollywood and New York. Pretty good for a guy with a high school education. And a lot better than the scum that is Paul Manfort, who has a JD from Georgetown, who has spent his entire dissolute and prodigal life promoting dictators and autocrats, and who will probably spend the rest of his life in prison where he so deservedly belongs.
:yeah: Paul Sorvino is awesome.
I'm a little partial to Mira myself. :-D

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Politico: Appeals court denies immediate release for Manafort:
A federal appeals court has turned down former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort’s request for immediate release from jail in advance of two federal criminal trials he is facing.

A three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals issued an order Thursday afternoon denying a request to let him out as the court continues to consider his appeal of a district court judge’s order last month revoking the house arrest he’d been under since October.
The (boilerplate) order.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:27 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 pm
Politico: Appeals court denies immediate release for Manafort:
A federal appeals court has turned down former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort’s request for immediate release from jail in advance of two federal criminal trials he is facing.

A three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals issued an order Thursday afternoon denying a request to let him out as the court continues to consider his appeal of a district court judge’s order last month revoking the house arrest he’d been under since October.
The (boilerplate) order.
No surprise here. Judge Jackson's reasoning for her decision was bulletproof, and she made an excellent record.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Law and Crime
Legal Experts Say Manafort Could Be Cutting Plea Deal as Judge Suddenly Delays Proceedings

The judge overseeing Paul Manafort‘s federal court case on charges of tax evasion and bank fraud in Virginia delayed proceedings in a surprise move on Monday afternoon. According to legal experts familiar with the federal court system, this could be an indication that Manafort is about to cut a plea deal.

Per Politico’s Josh Gerstein, U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III postponed a hearing set for tomorrow on issues regarding change of venue requests and trial delays. Gerstein noted, “Jurors were to be summoned on the day following the rescheduled hearing. Jury selection set to open the next day.”

The delay may or may not have caught the prosecution and defense off guard–but was certainly a shock to those watching the events unfold from a distance. According to the publicly-accessible court docket, no party had submitted a request for such a delay and there was also no indication of an official court notice being filed as of late Monday afternoon.

Many legal observers noted that this was a strange turn of events with the trial fast approaching; several even indicated that this last-minute interruption could signal Manafort’s last-minute willingness to flip.

¡Qué vergüenza!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 am

Well, that is curious. :?:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 am

Maybe the new jail is not as accommodating? :think:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:47 am

Reality Check wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 am
Maybe the new jail is not as accommodating? :think:
Maybe Manafort's taste of jail has informed his viewpoint?

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 am

Maybe real prison is a wake up call to Manafort about what the future might really hold. That's got to be scary.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 am

A come to jeebus moment would be a nice thought, but I think that would be more sense than he has ever shown to date. More likely something he is more afraid of came out and self preservation took over.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:16 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 am
Maybe real prison is a wake up call to Manafort about what the future might really hold. That's got to be scary.
It would scare me! Perhaps the judge was thinking that granting the move request, giving Manafort a taste of the stakes he has in the game might push him towards a deal, avoiding a long, tiring and very expensive courtroom shitshow?

Of course that can't be a proper judicial motivation... but they say judges are human too!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 am

I doubt the judge would be motivated to force a trial. But when you come into her* courtroom whining about the conditions of confinement when she knows damn well that you have it better than every other pretrial detainee in the federal system, then she might motivated to act.

*I think it was a her. I can’t keep straight in my head which trial has which judge. And I’m going to add that last sentence about which judges to the list of things I hope no one can ever say about me.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:59 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 am
I doubt the judge would be motivated to force a trial. But when you come into her* courtroom whining about the conditions of confinement when she knows damn well that you have it better than every other pretrial detainee in the federal system, then she might motivated to act.

*I think it was a her. I can’t keep straight in my head which trial has which judge. And I’m going to add that last sentence about which judges to the list of things I hope no one can ever say about me.
The Virginia case is before the crusty T.S. Ellis, III, definitely not a her. Amy Berman Jackson is the judge in D.C.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 am

Off Topic
Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 am
You're probably right! I can't keep it straight (not that I try hard) and as judges are often referred to as "Judge Perpthwacker" or as "the judge" or "the court", there aren't as many cues as in most situations. I confess to lazily defaulting to the male pronoun. It's a shame we don't have a good, non-clumsy, gender-neutral pronoun for persons.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 am

Isn't this the judge that claimed that Mueller wouldn't even be interested in the money laundering if it weren't for the fact that Manafort was involved in the Trump campaign? I listened to Rachel's show last night (actually, a recording of it on YouTube very early this morning) where she brought up a number of things about this case, including that the prosecutor apparently wanted three weeks for the trial and is only getting one week. I guess that's for the prosecutor and defense? Yikes. Wouldn't this kind of case likely be difficult for jurors to understand? I've never watched a case like this, so I don't really have a good feel for how it usually goes down and how easy it is for jurors to follow.

Any comments about that from the IAALs?

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am

So what could have happened was the U.S. Attorney and defense counsel called the judge's chambers or clerk together and said they wanted to meet with the judge off the record -- i.e., not to be placed on the docket at this time -- to protect witnesses and the investigation. It happens. Things get continued or postponed without docket entries explaining who asked for what and why. Then in the future it all comes out.

If Manafort wants to make a deal that's what's happening behind the scenes. Unlike Michael Cohen's case, where Cohen's PR lawyer and the opposing clown prince announce and kibitz every move.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:19 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am
So what could have happened was the U.S. Attorney and defense counsel called the judge's chambers or clerk together and said they wanted to meet with the judge off the record -- i.e., not to be placed on the docket at this time -- to protect witnesses and the investigation. It happens. Things get continued or postponed without docket entries explaining who asked for what and why. Then in the future it all comes out.

If Manafort wants to make a deal that's what's happening behind the scenes. Unlike Michael Cohen's case, where Cohen's PR lawyer and the opposing clown prince announce and kibitz every move.
:thumbs:

It seems like it would sure be in Manafort's best interest to cut a deal. Relying on Trump for a pardon may not.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 am
A come to jeebus moment would be a nice thought, but I think that would be more sense than he has ever shown to date. More likely something he is more afraid of came out and self preservation took over.
:like:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 am
:like:
Was Rachel Maddow correct in her assertion that this judge has so far not entertained either side in any attempt to delay the trial?

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1 ... 4225553408
Tom WinterVerified account @Tom_Winter
NEW: The Special Counsel's Office notifies the court that they will seek immunity for up to 5 people to testify under conditions of immunity in the upcoming trial against Paul Manafort in Virginia.

They say these people have not been publicly named before in the case.
12:02 PM - 17 Jul 2018

Tom Winter ‏Verified account @Tom_Winter

The Special Counsel's Office says they aren't sure if they will call any of the witnesses so they want to file the requests for immunity under seal.

Tom Winter Verified account @Tom_Winter

From the filing: “The motions indicate that the named individuals will not testify or provide other information on the basis of their privilege against self-incrimination, and that the government is requesting that the Court compel them to testify at the upcoming trial.”

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”