Resolution to Censure Trump: Re White Supremacists

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Resolution to Censure Trump: Re White Supremacists

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm

There's a Grey Lady article out about how Trump and McConnell are at war -- privately.

The problem with censuring Trump publicly is that the Republicans don't know what he'll do -- how crazy he'll get. So, basically, they are hostages to their uncertainty as to how crazy Trump is. Certainly no profiles in courage, but they are afraid Trump could ruin the country. Which, of course, he is doing anyway.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 pm

I wish I could still believe in the wisdom of the American electorate, but how can I? :confused:
My god, it's full of stars turtles all the way down!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 pm

When GWB was elected the second time, my husband said, "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter." That's been our unofficial house motto ever since.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
RVInit wrote: He went far beyond "I think he messed up" last night. I already had come to the opinion that Ryan has no moral character whatsoever, but that he would say the words he said right to the face of the rabbi - and clearly the two of them know each other, they both acknowledged it - was just utterly disgusting. I had tears in my eyes looking at the rabbi (I apologize, I know she introduced herself, and I wish I could remember her name).
Rabbi Dena Feingold? I think someone upthread said she is Russ Feingold's sister?
Yes, I do believe that was her. I'm pretty sure that is the name she gave now that I hear it. It didn't sink in that she is Russ Feingold's sister, but of course, she must be. :doh:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
RVInit wrote: He went far beyond "I think he messed up" last night. I already had come to the opinion that Ryan has no moral character whatsoever, but that he would say the words he said right to the face of the rabbi - and clearly the two of them know each other, they both acknowledged it - was just utterly disgusting. I had tears in my eyes looking at the rabbi (I apologize, I know she introduced herself, and I wish I could remember her name).
Rabbi Dena Feingold? I think someone upthread said she is Russ Feingold's sister?
Yes, I do believe that was her. I'm pretty sure that is the name she gave now that I hear it. It didn't sink in that she is Russ Feingold's sister, but of course, she must be. :doh:
I believe President Obama also has a relative who is a female Rabbi.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote: I believe President Obama also has a relative who is a female Rabbi.
If I may, :geezer: I know Michelle has a relative who's a rabbi. He's one of the very few African-American rabbis. I don't believe, however that President Obama has another rabbi in his family.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote: I believe President Obama also has a relative who is a female Rabbi.
If I may, :geezer: I know Michelle has a relative who's a rabbi. He's one of the very few African-American rabbis. I don't believe, however that President Obama has another rabbi in his family.
:oops: Inlaws don't count?

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sunrise wrote:
:oops: Inlaws don't count?
Of course in-laws count, but so does gender. Also. Too.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 pm

:lol:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Fortinbras wrote:In 1862 the Senate tabled (killed) a resolution to censure former President James Buchanan ... altho he certainly given plenty of thing to complain about. As far as I know, the Congress has never censured a President or former President (altho, obviously, impeachment seems to serve that purpose).
:snippity: .
Well, President Bartlett was censured because he hid his MS, so... oh, wait. Never mind. :crying:

(But Andrew Jackson was.)
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 am

Not quite there, but more than I expected.

The Hill
Senate approves resolution condemning white supremacist groups

The Senate easily passed a resolution on Monday condemning white supremacist organizations and urging President Trump to speak out against hate groups.

The resolution — introduced last week by Sens. Mark Warner (D-Va.), Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), Tim Kaine (D-Va.) and Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) — cleared the upper chamber by unanimous consent.

The Senate measure formally condemns "the violence and domestic terrorist attack" that occurred last month around a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va.

In addition to urging Trump and the administration to publicly push back against hate groups, the resolution urges Trump and his Cabinet to "address the growing prevalence of those hate groups in the United States."

Senators want Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the Department of Homeland Security to investigate "all acts of violence, intimidation and domestic terrorism" by white supremacists, white nationalists or associated groups and prevent them "from fomenting and facilitating additional violence."
Adding:
Associated Press: Senate approves measure condemning white nationalists
¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Wow! How brave! The Senate condemning nazis!

I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime!

Did I use enough exclamation marks?

What a bunch of pusillanimous punks.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Wow! How brave! The Senate condemning nazis!

I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime!

Did I use enough exclamation marks?

What a bunch of pusillanimous punks.
Yabutt if Trump had to sign this he'd be doing it while holding his nose.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Talking Points Memo
White House: Trump Will 'Absolutely' Sign Joint Resolution On Charlottesville

President Donald Trump is “absolutely” planning to sign a resolution condemning hate groups, the White House said Wednesday, after both the Senate and the House passed a resolution in the wake of a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The measure formally condemns the acts of the white supremacists that gathered in Charlottesville last month to protest the removal of a Confederate statue. The rally ended in violence when a man affiliated with the white supremacists allegedly drove his car through a crowd of counter-protesters and killed one woman.

The resolution passed unanimously in the Senate on Monday and cleared the House on Tuesday. A White House spokesperson told Politico that there were “no announcements” on whether Trump would sign the measure when asked about it Tuesday evening. But White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders cleared up any speculation Wednesday.

“The President was clear in his initial statement that he condemned hatred, bigotry, racism of all forms. He continues to stick to that message. He’s been very consistent in that fact,” she said during a press briefing Wednesday. “In terms of whether or not he’ll sign the joint resolution, absolutely, and he looks forward to doing so as soon as he receives it, which he hasn’t done as (of when) I came out here earlier.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Why not? After all, his brownshirts will smirkingly assure each other he doesn't really mean it.

And they'd be right.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Return to “Congress”