Resolution to Censure Trump: Re White Supremacists

Addie

Resolution to Censure Trump: Re White Supremacists

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm

BuzzFeed News
Democrats Will Introduce A Bill To Censure Trump Over His Response To Charlottesville

Three Democratic members of Congress are introducing a resolution to censure President Donald Trump over his "inadequate response" to the deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville this past weekend.

While a vote to censure the president has no legal ramifications, it is a significant and rare symbolic vote of disapproval. Only three presidents have been successfully censured by the House or Senate in history.

Reps. Jerrold Nadler, Bonnie Watson Coleman, and Pramila Jayapal announced on Wednesday that they would introduce the resolution on Friday during a brief session of the House, which is in recess until after Labor Day.

Members of Congress from both parties have been frustrated that it took Trump two days to explicitly condemn white supremacists in the wake of racist violence in Charlottesville, which left 32-year-old Heather Heyer dead and many more injured. On Tuesday, he did an about-face during a press conference in Trump Tower, angrily defending the white supremacists in Charlottesville, and once again blaming "both sides" for the violence there.

In addition to censuring the president for his overall response, the resolution would, if adopted, censure Trump for "his failure to immediately and specifically name and condemn the white supremacist groups responsible for actions of domestic terrorism"; for claiming that "both sides" were responsible for the violence; and for "employing people with ties to white supremacist movements in the White House, such as Steve Bannon and Sebastian Gorka."

Lastly, the resolution would "urge President Donald Trump to fire any and all White House advisors who have urged him to cater to the alt-Right movement in the United States."

¡Qué vergüenza!

bob

Re: Resolution to Censure Trump: Re White Supremacists

Post by bob » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Only three presidents have been successfully censured by the House or Senate in history.
"For completeness": Jackson (by the Senate, but it was later expunged); Tyler (by the Senate); and Polk (by the House).

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm

This is great. A "No" vote on censure is a "Sure, I'm a racist" vote. Cool. :thumbs:

Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 pm

much ado wrote:This is great. A "No" vote on censure is a "Sure, I'm a racist" vote. Cool. :thumbs:
Except the Republicans would need to allow it to even proceed to a vote.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Calling Nazis evil is the easiest political layup I can think of (purely aside from being morally correct). Let's see if Congress can make the basket where the President double-dribbled and bounced off the rim.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Given it can't happen until after Labor Day, the Republican response will almost certainly be, "He called them out by name, he doesn't condone racism, it was weeks ago, it's time to move on, now where are we on the Benghazi investigation?"

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:51 pm

maydijo wrote:Given it can't happen until after Labor Day, the Republican response will almost certainly be, "He called them out by name, he doesn't condone racism, it was weeks ago, it's time to move on, now where are we on the Benghazi investigation?"
Well, sure, if he does not do something even more stupid. Didn't some highly respected member of this forum once opine that "Trump will always make things worse."? That's where my money is. :towel:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

much ado wrote:
maydijo wrote:Given it can't happen until after Labor Day, the Republican response will almost certainly be, "He called them out by name, he doesn't condone racism, it was weeks ago, it's time to move on, now where are we on the Benghazi investigation?"
Well, sure, if he does not do something even more stupid. Didn't some highly respected member of this forum once opine that "Trump will always make things worse."? That's where my money is. :towel:
And the Republicans will overlook that too. When it comes to Try!p, they will say the right thing, but they won't lift a finger to actually act against him. They are very obviously trying to play to both sides here. Well, where Nazis are concerned, there is really only one side.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm

The bill will die in (or before) committee. The enablers and political cowards in the GOP won't let it get a vote. Because:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:The bill will die in (or before) committee. The enablers and political cowards in the GOP won't let it get a vote. Because:
And how many votes will the newly formed Nazi Party of America get in 2018? Trump will do everything in his power to remove their cover. He keeps making it more and more difficult for Republicans to assert they are not racist white supremacists. It's a good thing. :towel:

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm

I agree with :sterngard:
The bill will die in (or before) committee. The enablers and political cowards in the GOP won't let it get a vote.
much ado wrote:And how many votes will the newly formed Nazi Party of America get in 2018?
Unfortunately, I think they'll get more than enough, especially with the way Congressional districts are gerrymandered.

At the moment, I am a DOOMSEER...and I can't find my :towel: .

much ado

Post by much ado » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 pm

June bug wrote:Unfortunately, I think they'll get more than enough, especially with the way Congressional districts are gerrymandered.

Well, :geezer: is likely to be correct. But I have hope. I guess I am a HOPESEER. Trump keeps making it worse for his supporters. I don't see him suddenly restraining his inexorable decline to absolute depravity. Where is absolute depravity? Trump will show us the way.

Who was it that said that the Republican party could survive if Trump lost but could not survive if Trump won? I think they were right. :towel:

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

much ado wrote:But I have hope. I guess I am a HOPESEER. Trump keeps making it worse for his supporters.
Hope you're right - I really do.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Donald Trump is a one-man "race to the bottom."

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 pm

much ado wrote:
June bug wrote:Unfortunately, I think they'll get more than enough, especially with the way Congressional districts are gerrymandered.

Well, :geezer: is likely to be correct. But I have hope. I guess I am a HOPESEER. Trump keeps making it worse for his supporters. I don't see him suddenly restraining his inexorable decline to absolute depravity. Where is absolute depravity? Trump will show us the way.

Who was it that said that the Republican party could survive if Trump lost but could not survive if Trump won? I think they were right. :towel:
The Republicans are between a rock and a hard place of their own making. If they do the right thing and basically throw the white supremacists out of the party and force them to organize their own party, then they lose 20% of their membership and the Democrats will crush them. If they continue their mealy mouth dog whistle tactics of pretending not to support racists while trying to keep their support, Trump's big mouth is going to force the Wall Street and Chamber of Commerce types out of the party (especially since they are failing to get their economic agenda out of Congress).

As Hillary said, “You can't keep snakes in your backyard and expect them only to bite your neighbors.”

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm

The Hill
Pelosi endorses push to censure Trump

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Friday endorsed an effort to censure President Trump for his equivocating response to the violence resulting from a white supremacist march in Charlottesville, Va.

“Every day, the President gives us further evidence of why such a censure is necessary. Indeed, with each passing day, it becomes clearer that the Republican Congress must declare whether it stands for our sacred American values or with the President who embraces white nationalism,” Pelosi said in a statement.

“Democrats will use every avenue to challenge the repulsiveness of President Trump’s words and actions.”

Earlier this week, Democratic Reps. Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.), Bonnie Watson Coleman (N.J.) and Pramila Jayapal (Wash.) unveiled a resolution that would censure Trump for his “inadequate response to the violence” and “failure to immediately and specifically name and condemn the white supremacist groups responsible for actions of domestic terrorism.”

So far, only Democrats have signed on to the resolution.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm

RoadScholar wrote:Donald Trump is a one-man "race to the bottom."
He's been digging and jackhammering for so long that he has to look up to see the bottom.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

bob

Post by bob » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:40 pm

WaPo: House Speaker Paul Ryan won’t support censure of Trump:
U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan said he will not support a resolution to censure President Donald Trump over his comments following a white supremacist rally in Virginia, but said Trump “messed up” by saying “both sides” were to blame for violence and that there were “very fine people” among those marching to protect Confederate statues.

Ryan made the comments during a town hall Monday night organized by CNN in his Wisconsin congressional district, after being asked whether he would back the resolution that comes following Trump’s comments about the rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. The question came from Rabbi Dena Feingold, the sister of former Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, who grew up in the same city as Ryan.

Ryan said censuring Trump would be “counterproductive.”

“If we descend this issue into some partisan hack-fest, into some bickering against each other and demean it down into some political food fight, what good does that do to unify this country?” Ryan said, adding that it would be the “worst thing we could do.”
Maybe the country could use a little unifying on baseline propositions, like nazis, white nationalists, and white supremacists are bad? :think:

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:53 pm

In 1862 the Senate tabled (killed) a resolution to censure former President James Buchanan ... altho he certainly given plenty of thing to complain about. As far as I know, the Congress has never censured a President or former President (altho, obviously, impeachment seems to serve that purpose).

On occasion the Congress or one chamber has adopted a resolution expressing a vote of confidence in the President or otherwise praising him for some action.

Any other President would take a censure resolution deeply to heart, esp one about coddling kluxers, but I cannot predict how Trump would react.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Is anybody really surprised at the reaction and non-action of Ryan, McConnell, et al? The GOP is in bed with these people. The GOP is in bed with the very people who want to destroy the USA. They'll talk tough for those few remaining Republicans who aren't racist pond scum, but they'll never act, because these are their people.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 pm

maydijo wrote:Is anybody really surprised at the reaction and non-action of Ryan, McConnell, et al? The GOP is in bed with these people. The GOP is in bed with the very people who want to destroy the USA. They'll talk tough for those few remaining Republicans who aren't racist pond scum, but they'll never act, because these are their people.
I had to turn off the TV during Ryan's talk. I just couldn't stand to listen to him make excuses for Trump energizing and courting racists, especially when I saw the look on the rabbi's face as she listened to him. I wanted to fly through the tv screen and wrap her in my arms and carry her out of that room. She couldn't possibly have looked more crushed and disappointed at Ryan's utter and complete exoneration of Trump's behavior and words.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

bob

Post by bob » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Fortinbras wrote:As far as I know, the Congress has never censured a President or former President (altho, obviously, impeachment seems to serve that purpose).
Upthread:
bob wrote:
Only three presidents have been successfully censured by the House or Senate in history.
"For completeness": Jackson (by the Senate, but it was later expunged); Tyler (by the Senate); and Polk (by the House).

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:27 pm

RVInit wrote:
maydijo wrote:Is anybody really surprised at the reaction and non-action of Ryan, McConnell, et al? The GOP is in bed with these people. The GOP is in bed with the very people who want to destroy the USA. They'll talk tough for those few remaining Republicans who aren't racist pond scum, but they'll never act, because these are their people.
I had to turn off the TV during Ryan's talk. I just couldn't stand to listen to him make excuses for Trump energizing and courting racists, especially when I saw the look on the rabbi's face as she listened to him. I wanted to fly through the tv screen and wrap her in my arms and carry her out of that room. She couldn't possibly have looked more crushed and disappointed at Ryan's utter and complete exoneration of Trump's behavior and words.
Totally agree with you may. No way is today's GOP going to censure one of their own.

And RV, what you describe makes me glad I didn't watch Ryan last night. Just the phrase "I think he messed up" was enough to make me sick. it sounded like he was commenting on Trump missing a putt, for gawd's sake!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 pm

June bug wrote:
RVInit wrote:
Totally agree with you may. No way is today's GOP going to censure one of their own.

And RV, what you describe makes me glad I didn't watch Ryan last night. Just the phrase "I think he messed up" was enough to make me sick. it sounded like he was commenting on Trump missing a putt, for gawd's sake!
He went far beyond "I think he messed up" last night. I already had come to the opinion that Ryan has no moral character whatsoever, but that he would say the words he said right to the face of the rabbi - and clearly the two of them know each other, they both acknowledged it - was just utterly disgusting. I had tears in my eyes looking at the rabbi (I apologize, I know she introduced herself, and I wish I could remember her name).

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

RVInit wrote: He went far beyond "I think he messed up" last night. I already had come to the opinion that Ryan has no moral character whatsoever, but that he would say the words he said right to the face of the rabbi - and clearly the two of them know each other, they both acknowledged it - was just utterly disgusting. I had tears in my eyes looking at the rabbi (I apologize, I know she introduced herself, and I wish I could remember her name).
Rabbi Dena Feingold? I think someone upthread said she is Russ Feingold's sister?

Return to “Congress”