Re: Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:54 pm
MsDaisy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:26 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm
Sure, but I for one would like to know how many anti-Hillary texts were sent by other FBI agents.

I bet the number is far from zero.
And that too. Also.
And if the anti-Hillary texts were being sent on government phones, there should be appropriate discipline.
Agreed: Violating the written regs is violating the regs. If Strzok violated them and got the mandated punishment, that's that. The political import is irrelevant.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:37 pm

"I’m deeply embarrassed that Peter Strzok’s career was ruined by my father’s political grandstanding."

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that family!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:47 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that family!
:thumbs:

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:50 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 pm
(I'd prefer not to link to his twitter account.)
There's a bot that repackages the logorrhea so you don't have to visit Trump's account -- https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Politico Mag - Bradley P. Moss
Trump’s Purge of the FBI Is Complete ...

What was so unusual in the context of Strzok’s firing, however, was the direct intervention of Deputy Director David Bowdich into the process. Just like in any other FBI disciplinary proceeding, Strzok was initially afforded the right to appeal the proposed termination of his employment to Candace M. Will, the head of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility. I have appeared before Will several times on behalf of FBI clients and I can state from personal experience that she is well-credentialed and compassionate, but ultimately very strict. She is a firm believer in the notion that the FBI has to hold itself to the highest ethical and moral standards and that is often reflected in her determinations. In 11 years of practice, I cannot think of a single time I have ever managed to persuade Will to reverse a proposed termination of an FBI official’s employment.

Nonetheless, according to a statement from Strzok’s attorney, Will chose not to uphold the proposed termination of Strzok’s employment. Instead, she concluded that it was appropriate to instead demote Strzok and suspend him for 60 days. She apparently also concluded that Strzok would be afforded what is known as a “last chance agreement,” which is effectively a written understanding between the agency and the employee that even the slightest instance of misconduct going forward can and will likely result in immediate termination. That Will reached this conclusion is very surprising and, in my professional opinion, speaks to just how thin the case for firing Strzok likely was.

That Deputy Director Bowdich chose to overrule Will is what takes this matter so far outside the ordinary practice of the FBI disciplinary process. I have never seen senior FBI leadership unilaterally and directly intervene in such a manner, whether in my client’s favor or otherwise. If Strzok had not been satisfied with Will’s determination, appealing to Deputy Director Bowdich would not even have been a formal option. His final stage of administrative appeal would have been before the Disciplinary Review Board, which is comprised of three senior FBI officials but to my knowledge does not typically (if ever) include the deputy director.

To be clear: No legal restriction likely prevented Deputy Director Bowdich from directly intervening. After all, Strzok was effectively an “at-will” employee. What is concerning here is the continuous and repeated appearance of political considerations seeping into the traditionally apolitical disciplinary process at the FBI. President Trump made no bones about his distaste for Agent Strzok, just as he similarly publicly criticized Director Comey and Director McCabe prior to their terminations. All three men played or were still playing a role in the investigation into the president’s campaign before they were fired.

With the firing of Peter Strzok, the president’s purge of senior FBI leadership who helped launch that investigation is now complete. For those wondering whether Trump would allow the bureau to do its job without political interference from the White House, I think we have our answer.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Axios
Trump revokes John Brennan's security clearance

President Trump has revoked the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, according to White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders at today's press briefing.

The details: Sanders also stated that Trump is also considering revoking the clearances of former intelligence and law enforcement officials like James Comey, James Clapper, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, and Andrew McCabe.
Adding:
The Hill: Clapper: Trump revoking Brennan's security clearance is an 'infringement' on free speech
Talking Points Memo: Trump Strips John Brennan Of Security Clearance ...

Per CNN, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats was not consulted about the revocation.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:56 pm

New York Times
Trump Revokes Security Clearance of John Brennan, Former C.I.A. Director

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Wednesday revoked the security clearance of John O. Brennan, the former C.I.A. director under President Barack Obama, citing what he called Mr. Brennan’s “erratic” behavior.

The White House had threatened last month to strip Mr. Brennan and two other Obama administration officials — Susan E. Rice, the former national security adviser; and James R. Clapper Jr., the former director of national intelligence — of their security clearances.

Mr. Trump has questioned the loyalties of national security and law enforcement officials and dismissed some of their findings — particularly the conclusion that Moscow intervened in the 2016 election — as attacks against him.

Former high-ranking officials in defense, intelligence, diplomacy and law enforcement usually maintain their clearances to advise those still in government. A clearance also serves a more personally profitable function: helping departing officials get jobs at security contractors or similar firms.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:29 pm

NBC News
Trump's full statement about why he revoked Brennan's security clearance

President Donald Trump's statement, released by the White House:
As the head of the executive branch and Commander in Chief, I have a unique, Constitutional responsibility to protect the Nation’s classified information, including by controlling access to it. Today, in fulfilling that responsibility, I have decided to revoke the security clearance of John Brennan, former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Historically, former heads of intelligence and law enforcement agencies have been allowed to retain access to classified information after their Government service so that they can consult with their successors regarding matters about which they may have special insights and as a professional courtesy. Neither of these justifications supports Mr. Brennan’s continued access to classified information.

First, at this point in my Administration, any benefits that senior officials might glean from consultations with Mr. Brennan are now outweighed by the risks posed by his erratic conduct and behavior. Second, that conduct and behavior has tested and far exceeded the limits of any professional courtesy that may have been due to him. Mr. Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility. In 2014, for example, he denied to Congress that CIA officials under his supervision had improperly accessed the computer files of congressional staffers.

He told the Council of Foreign Relations that the CIA would never do such a thing. The CIA’s Inspector General, however, contradicted Mr. Brennan directly, concluding unequivocally that agency officials had indeed improperly accessed congressional staffers’ files. More recently, Mr. Brennan told Congress that the intelligence community did not make use of the so-called Steele Dossier in an assessment regarding the 2016 election, an assertion contradicted by at least two other senior officials in the intelligence community and all of the facts.

Additionally, Mr. Brennan has recently leveraged his status as a former high-ranking official with access to highly sensitive information to make a series of unfounded and outrageous allegations – wild outbursts on the internet and television – about this Administration. Mr. Brennan’s lying and recent conduct, characterized by increasingly frenzied commentary, is wholly inconsistent with access to the Nation’s most closely held secrets and facilitates the very aim of our adversaries, which is to sow division and chaos. More broadly, the issue of Mr. Brennan’s security clearance raises larger questions about the practice of former officials maintaining access to our Nation’s most sensitive secrets long after their time in Government has ended.

Such access is particularly inappropriate when former officials have transitioned into highly partisan positions and seek to use real or perceived access to sensitive information to validate their political attacks. Any access granted to our Nation’s secrets should be in furtherance of national, not personal, interests.

For this reason, I have also begun to review the more general question of the access to classified information by former Government officials. As part of this review, I am evaluating action with respect to the following individuals: James Clapper, James Comey, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, and Bruce Ohr. Security clearances for those who still have them may be revoked, and those who have already their lost their security clearance may not be able to have it reinstated. It is for the foregoing reasons that I have exercised my Constitutional authority to deny Mr. Brennan access to classified information, and I will direct appropriate staff of the National Security Council to make the necessary arrangements with the appropriate agencies to implement this determination.

¡Sterngard! come home.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm pretty sure DJT didn't write a single word in that statement.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Reminded of this headline from last year: "Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador."

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:44 pm

The Hill
Dem: Trump revoking Brennan's security clearance is 'Moscow politics'

A Democratic lawmaker on Wednesday called President Trump’s decision to revoke former CIA chief John Brennan’s security clearance “Moscow politics.”

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) defended Brennan as “a patriot” in a tweet following the announcement.

“Anybody that disagrees with Trump finds themselves on a hit list. John Brennan is a patriot,” Pascrell tweeted. “His faith to America is unwavering. We have a leader now who won't tolerate difference in opinion. This is Moscow politics, in and out.” ...

Former administration officials typically keep their security clearances in order to provide advice to their successors.
Also The Hill
John Kerry blasts Trump for "personal petty politics" and "banana republic behavior"

Former Secretary of State John Kerry blasted President Trump for revoking former CIA Director John Brennan’s security clearance.

Kerry, a frequent Trump critic, accused the president of putting “petty politics ahead of patriotism.”

“This is putting personal petty politics ahead of patriotism and national security, end of story,” Kerry tweeted. “You expect this banana republic behavior in the kind of countries that the State Department warns Americans not to travel to, but not at home in the USA.”

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 pm

MSN News
Brennan fires back at Trump: 'I will not relent'

Former CIA Director John Brennan on Wednesday blasted President Trump's decision to revoke his security clearance as an "abuse of power" intended to punish him for his vocal criticism of the president.

"I do believe that Mr. Trump decided to take this action, as he's done with others, to try to intimidate and suppress any criticism of him or his administration," Brennan said during an interview on MSNBC.

Brennan said Trump's decision will not stop him from speaking out.

"If Mr. Trump believes this going to lead me to just go away and be quiet, he is very badly mistaken," said Brennan, who led the nation's top spy agency under President Obama.

But Brennan said he feared the revocation sends "a very chilling message" to the national security community about silencing dissent, whether it is made in public or in private.

¡Sterngard! come home.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:02 pm

First, at this point in my Administration, any benefits that senior officials might glean from consultations with Mr. Brennan are now outweighed by the risks posed by his erratic conduct and behavior. Second, that conduct and behavior has tested and far exceeded the limits of any professional courtesy that may have been due to him. Mr. Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility.
Wait. Is Trump talking about himself?? :think:

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

tek

Post by tek » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:05 am

Just saw a clip on MSNBC, from back when this idea of revoking security clearances first came up.. Paul Ryan was asked about this idea and whether it was a dangerous path.. he said "I think the president is just trolling" ...

So far no comment from Ryan's people about that.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:19 am

When I heard about Brennan today, my heart sunk. And that was before I knew that 45 also released his enemies list. Meanwhile, I was in a funk about Manafort, knowing that the orange creature might pardon him IF he was convicted.

During the last weeks of the '16 campaign, I realized 45's rants were not just insane. They were statements about what he would do if elected. As we all now see. I expect him to urge DOJ to bring/fabricate charges against his opposition. HRC being #1.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 am

SLQ wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:02 pm
First, at this point in my Administration, any benefits that senior officials might glean from consultations with Mr. Brennan are now outweighed by the risks posed by his erratic conduct and behavior. Second, that conduct and behavior has tested and far exceeded the limits of any professional courtesy that may have been due to him. Mr. Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility.
Wait. Is Trump talking about himself?? :think:
Yes. Like so many on the right, he follows the "accuse your antagonists of that which you are doing" policy. The simple way to defang honest criticism whilst bamboozling his followers.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:28 am

Lani wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:19 am
I expect him to urge DOJ to bring/fabricate charges against his opposition. HRC being #1.
I expect mass resignations if that were to happen. There is a vast gulf of difference between revoking a clearance - which the President has unilateral authority to do, and has relatively little practical effect - and embarking upon criminal prosecutions.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:16 am

Associated Press
Brennan: Trump worked with Russians and now he's desperate

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former CIA Director John Brennan said Thursday that President Donald Trump yanked his security clearance because his campaign colluded with the Russians to sway the 2016 election and is now desperate to end the special counsel's investigation.

In an opinion piece in The New York Times, Brennan cites press reports and Trump's own goading of Russia during the campaign to find Democrat Hillary Clinton's missing emails.

Trump himself drew a direct connection between the revocation of Brennan's clearance and the Russia probe, telling The Wall Street Journal the investigation is a "sham," and "these people led it!"

"So I think it's something that had to be done," Trump said.

Brennan wrote that Trump's claims of no collusion with Russia are "hogwash" and that the only question remaining is whether the collusion amounts to a "constituted criminally liable conspiracy."

"Trump clearly has become more desperate to protect himself and those close to him, which is why he made the politically motivated decision to revoke my security clearance in an attempt to scare into silence others who might dare to challenge him," he wrote.
Adding:
New York Times (paywall): John Brennan: President Trump’s Claims of No Collusion Are Hogwash
CBS/AP: Trump links yanking ex-CIA chief John Brennan's security clearance to Russia probe
New York Mag: Trump Admits Revoking Brennan’s Security Clearance Was About the Mueller Probe
Salon: Trump ties enemies list to Mueller probe: Like after his firing of James Comey, Trump lays bare his true intentions

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am

Tea Pain
@TeaPainUSA
Attackin' the Intelligence Community is like pickin' a fight with your ex-wife. She's seen you naked and knows stuff you long forgot about.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 am

New York Mag: Trump Admits Revoking Brennan’s Security Clearance Was About the Mueller Probe.
Not sure if Mueller is laughing his ass off or shaking his head because Trump won't stop obstructing.

ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:27 pm

WaPo
Trump has now fired or threatened most senior officials related to the Russia investigation

President Trump says that although he has never obstructed justice in the Russia investigation, he does “fight back.”

And, as of Wednesday, he had “fought back” against a majority of top officials involved in leading, overseeing or making administration decisions about that probe. According to an analysis by The Washington Post, of the more than a dozen officials with what could be construed as leadership roles in the investigation, more than half have been fired and/or threatened with official recourse.

The most recent examples were the White House’s revocation of former CIA director John Brennan’s security clearance Wednesday and the threats to do the same for nine other current and former officials who have run afoul of Trump. In one fell swoop, the White House effectively more than doubled its enemies list — and served notice that ex-officials who were involved in the probe will not be permitted to criticize Trump willy-nilly.

Not all the firings have come directly from Trump or relate directly to the probe; FBI officials Andrew McCabe and Peter Strzok, for instance, were terminated by the bureau after highly critical inspector-general reports, and former acting attorney general Sally Yates refused to defend Trump’s travel ban in court. But Trump has targeted all of them, and all three also saw their security clearances threatened Wednesday (even as McCabe and Strzok don’t appear to have them anymore).

Here’s a rundown:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Elijah Cummings has sent a letter to John Kelly demanding a briefing and documents on the decision to revoke John Brennan's security clearance. https://bit.ly/2MSjXGp

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Reminded of this headline from last year: "Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador."
The series of pictures that this is from has Trump looking like he’s lost, having a senior moment, has no idea where or with whom he is.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:20 pm

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... -clearance

AUSTIN — Admiral William H. McRaven literally wrote the book on black ops. He led the team that brought down Osama bin Laden and questioned outmoded concepts of sexual assault in the military and at his alma mater in Austin.

Now, he's challenging the leader of the free world. On Thursday, just hours after the news that ex-CIA director and frequent Donald Trump critic John Brennan's security clearance had been revoked, McRaven had a message for the president:

"Revoke my security clearance, too."

In an op-ed for The Washington Post, McRaven praised Brennan as "a man of unparalleled integrity" and maligned the president for what he called Trump's "McCarthy-era tactics" to "suppress the voice of criticism."

"Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs," McRaven wrote. "Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation."

Return to “Congress”