Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Danraft

Re: Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Post by Danraft » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 pm

I understand I seem too harsh in my judgement.
If the statement is made that " I don't know if they insisted" on public hearings, then
the point is made. I'm saying we KNOW what the next move will be. So, it opens the preemptive response possibility.
Recognizing that the conservative media would not necessarily air such protestations of anticipated misinformation, just getting it out on the mainstream media, noting the other many examples of how the people should be furious that they are not being given the truth by the people that "work for them" is valuable.
The ground has to be softened. The issue repeated and repeated. Just like Trump with 'No Collusion", eventually it is accepted as having truth to it.
The advantage of doing this with actual truth needn't be stated.

Perhaps I'm asking too much. Dunno.
It does seem like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football. Every time it's the same gag.

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:55 pm

The Hill
House committees subpoena FBI agent Strzok to testify in public

Two powerful House committees issued a subpoena for FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok to testify publicly at a joint hearing slated for next week.

It was not immediately clear whether Strzok will comply with the order issued by the Judiciary Committee and the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The committees issued their subpoena for 10 a.m. EDT on July 10.

In a letter to the Judiciary panel earlier this week, Strzok's lawyer accused the committee of selectively leaking portions of a closed-door interview Strzok provided last week and called the standing invitation to testify publicly a "trap."

"Having sharpened their knives behind closed doors, the committee would now like to drag back Special Agent Strzok and have him testify in public — a request that we originally made and the committee denied," Aitan Goelman said, according to CNN. "What's being asked of Special Agent Strzok is to participate in what anyone can recognize as a trap."

¡Sterngard! come home.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Ratrap bastids wrote: n a letter to the Judiciary panel earlier this week, Strzok's lawyer accused the committee of selectively leaking portions of a closed-door interview Strzok provided last week and called the standing invitation to testify publicly a "trap."

Interesting. Can we ask Russia to hack their emails? :-D

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:55 pm
The Hill
House committees subpoena FBI agent Strzok to testify in public

Two powerful House committees issued a subpoena for FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok to testify publicly at a joint hearing slated for next week.

It was not immediately clear whether Strzok will comply with the order issued by the Judiciary Committee and the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The committees issued their subpoena for 10 a.m. EDT on July 10.

In a letter to the Judiciary panel earlier this week, Strzok's lawyer accused the committee of selectively leaking portions of a closed-door interview Strzok provided last week and called the standing invitation to testify publicly a "trap."

"Having sharpened their knives behind closed doors, the committee would now like to drag back Special Agent Strzok and have him testify in public — a request that we originally made and the committee denied," Aitan Goelman said, according to CNN. "What's being asked of Special Agent Strzok is to participate in what anyone can recognize as a trap."
Of course it's a trap. I hope his lawyers fight that subpoena. He's already testified. They will limit their questions in the public session in order to make him look bad. Fuck them.

We really probably don't even need a Republicans Behaving Badly thread anymore. Every damn thing they do, regardless of the thread it ends up in, is pretty much Republicans (politicians) behaving badly. Fuckwads.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Associated Press
FBI agent removed from Mueller team set to testify publicly

WASHINGTON (AP) — An FBI agent removed from special counsel Robert Mueller’s team because of derogatory text messages about President Donald Trump is expected to speak publicly to members of Congress next week.

The House judiciary and oversight committees announced a Thursday morning hearing for agent Peter Strzok (STRUCK).

Strzok was interviewed by lawmakers behind closed doors for hours last week. The judiciary panel subpoenaed him to appear publicly to answer questions. He was initially supposed to testify this coming Tuesday. ...

He briefly worked for Mueller’s team but was reassigned last summer following the discovery of anti-Trump text messages he had exchanged with an FBI lawyer.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

ABC News
Former FBI lawyer Lisa Page subpoenaed by House panel for private interview

The House Judiciary Committee has issued a subpoena for Lisa Page, the former FBI lawyer who exchanged text messages with FBI agent Peter Strzok critical of then-presidential candidate Donald Trump, to appear on Capitol Hill for a closed-door interview Wednesday morning, according to congressional officials familiar with the subpoena.

Republicans on the committees have raised concerns about political bias at the FBI and Justice Department regarding the handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation and the Trump-Russia probe during the 2016 presidential campaign, pointing to the text messages between Page and Strzok - who according to the report, were having an extramarital affair - as evidence of anti-Trump bias.

Page's attorney Amy Jeffress said they have been "working with the Committee staff to arrange Lisa's voluntary appearance," suggesting her client needs more time to prepare for an interview.

"We asked the Committee staff to explain the scope of the investigation and provide sufficient notice that would allow her to prepare, which are normal conditions for congressional committees, but these committees have not followed the normal process," Jeffress said in a statement. "The FBI has agreed to provide Lisa with her notes and other documents to allow her to prepare, but they have not provided those documents to date, so we are still waiting to work out a reasonable date for her interview."

"Lisa has cooperated voluntarily with another congressional committee that had no objection to explaining the scope of its investigation or providing sufficient notice for her interview. Lisa also cooperated fully with the OIG investigation and appeared voluntarily for multiple interviews, including after she left the FBI,” Jeffress added.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Politico
House conservatives prep push to impeach Rosenstein

House conservatives are preparing a new push to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to three conservative Capitol Hill sources — putting the finishing touches on an impeachment filing even as Rosenstein announced the indictment of 12 Russian intelligence officers for interfering in the 2016 election.

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows, in fact, had the impeachment document on the floor of the House at the very moment that Rosenstein spoke to reporters and TV cameras Friday.

Conservative GOP lawmakers have been plotting to remove Rosenstein for weeks, accusing him of slow-walking their probe of FBI agents they’ve accused of bias against President Donald Trump.

Democrats contend Republicans’ fixation on Rosenstein is really an effort to undermine special counsel Robert Mueller, who reports to Rosenstein and has been making inroads in his investigation of the Russian election interference plot. Mueller’s probe has entangled members of Trump’s inner circle and Trump has increasingly assailed it as a politically motivated “witch hunt” as it’s presented greater danger to him and his allies.

Conservative sources say they could file the impeachment document as soon as Monday, as Meadows and Freedom Caucus founder Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) look to build Republican support in the House. One source cautioned, however, that the timing was still fluid.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 pm
Politico
House conservatives prep push to impeach Rosenstein

House conservatives are preparing a new push to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, according to three conservative Capitol Hill sources — putting the finishing touches on an impeachment filing even as Rosenstein announced the indictment of 12 Russian intelligence officers for interfering in the 2016 election.

:snippity:
Correct me if I am wrong, but it takes 2/3's of the Senate to actually remove him. That's obviously not going to happen.

So what do they hope to accomplish even if they do impeach him in the House? Is this just another chance to look stupid like yesterday's hearing? They aren't going to convince anyone who isn't already a Trump humper and they are going to alienate "law and order" Republicans (if there are any of those left).

It just seems like a stupid move from every angle I can think of.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Political cover for the Elf to fire him.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm

However they get rid of Rosenstein, they've got their Alfa Bank backup man in place.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:12 pm

What Dan1100 said.

Also...does it seem like it's probably too late anyway? That indictment made it fairly clear that they already know who and what are probably going to be the subjects of the next (last?) indictment. I think might be game over at this point.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm
Maybe.

I think they are going to regret it before it's over.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:26 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Maybe.

I hope they regret it before it's over, when it's over, and for at least a fucking generation after it's over.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:26 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Maybe.

Rosenstein' says indictment timing addressed both Monday's Putin meeting, and protecting the DAG. Trump's plans may be disrupted on both counts.
The testimony yeSteady was supposed to "set the volleyball" for the Spike(impeachment of Rosewnstein)--and they face-planted instead..

By design, Trump will claim responsibility for anything good,and blame his enemies for bad. Miidterm strategy was discussed before inauguration. Except now, the Mueller investigation adds a layer of desperation for all involved in accepting dark money from dubious sources. Steering public opinion is the task of the entire GOP, because, as Paul Ryan said, they could be "held accountable".
If my "tinfoil hat" should be ordered for having that perspective, so be it. The John McCain types with some amount of integrity were replaced with a crop of Tea Party naive uninitiated and now black-mailed congressmen with quite a lot to lose.
I don't expect sanity any=time soon.

op

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:04 pm

WaPo
Freedom Caucus leaders want Rosenstein investigated for alleged threats

Two leaders of the conservative House Freedom Caucus want the Justice Department’s internal watchdog to investigate whether Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein threatened congressional aides in a January meeting.

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), the group’s chairman, and Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), a co-founder and influential conservative leader, made the request of Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz on Monday, according to a letter obtained by The Washington Post.

“This notion Mr. Rosenstein threatened to use his official investigative powers as Deputy Attorney General to retaliate against rank-and-file staff members for sending written oversight requests raises concerns he has abused his authority in the context of this investigation,” they wrote.

The call for a probe comes as President Trump’s defenders in Congress have turned up the heat on the Justice Department and the FBI over their probes into the 2016 presidential candidates — culminating last week in a fiery hearing where Republicans berated senior FBI official Peter Strzok for sending text messages during the campaign criticizing and denigrating then-candidate Trump.

The letter requesting the investigation into Rosenstein’s behavior comes on the same day Trump questioned the findings of U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies that Russia meddled in the 2016 election. Rosenstein is overseeing the pending investigation led by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III probing both that meddling and allegations, yet to be proven, that Trump’s campaign colluded with that effort.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 pm

The Hill
House GOP questions FBI lawyer for second day

House Republicans grilled former FBI lawyer Lisa Page behind closed doors on Monday as they sought to make the case that bias influenced the bureau’s investigations of President Trump and Hillary Clinton.

It was the second day of a grueling interview for Page, whose emails and text messages with FBI agent Peter Strzok have been cited by GOP lawmakers as suggesting the FBI was biased against the Republican presidential candidate.

Lawmakers from the House Judiciary and House Oversight and Government Reform committees remained mostly tight-lipped on the details of her testimony, though multiple Republicans praised her as cooperative and forthcoming. ...

“In many cases, she admits that the text messages mean exactly what they say, as opposed to agent Strzok, who thinks we have all misinterpreted his own words on any text message that might be negative,” Ratcliffe said.

Democratic Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (Ill.), however, said he had not heard any contradictions.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:14 am

USA Today OpEd - Fred Wertheimer and Norman Eisen
In bid to impeach Rod Rosenstein, House Republicans are abusing power to protect Trump

Even as President Donald Trump was standing with Russian President Vladimir Putin this week — and against his own intelligence agencies and Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation — a lower-profile but equally reprehensible attack was unfolding in Washington. Reps. Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan are considering articles of impeachment against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Mueller’s probe.

This effort to impeach Rosenstein is unprecedented, baseless and a gross abuse of the impeachment process.

In the 229-year history of the Constitution, there has never been an impeachment of an executive branch official at a sub-cabinet level, such as Rosenstein. This is for good reason. The impeachment process was intended by the framers to be used only in rare cases; it was never meant to be used to settle policy differences between an executive branch agency and Congress, no matter how serious.

For months now, Trump has relentlessly attacked Rosenstein and the Mueller investigation. He has been aided and abetted in his efforts by key House Republicans who are acting as members of his defense team rather than as representatives of the American people and members of an independent branch of government.

Trampling norms to protect Trump

The goal of all of this is to disrupt, discredit, undermine and, if possible, get rid of Rosenstein, eliminate the Mueller investigation and — ultimately — protect Trump. In their zeal, House Republicans have chosen to trample on the norms of our criminal justice system and attempt to politicize a Justice Department criminal investigation in ways we have not seen since the 1970s Watergate scandals.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

New York Times
Justice Dept. Releases Secret Carter Page Surveillance Documents at Center of Partisan Clash

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has disclosed a previously top-secret set of documents related to the wiretapping of Carter Page, the onetime Trump campaign adviser who was at the center of highly contentious accusations by Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee that the F.B.I. had abused its surveillance powers.

[documents here]

Democrats in February rejected the Republican claims that law enforcement officials had improperly obtained the warrant, accusing them of putting out misinformation to defend President Trump and sow doubts about the origin of the Russia investigation. But even as Republicans and Democrats issued dueling memos characterizing the materials underlying the surveillance of Mr. Page, the public had no access to the records.

On Saturday, those materials — an October 2016 application to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to wiretap Mr. Page, along with several renewal applications — were released to The New York Times and several other news organizations that had filed Freedom of Information Act lawsuits to obtain them.

“This application targets Carter Page,” the application said. “The F.B.I. believes Page has been the subject of targeted recruitment by the Russian government.” A line was then redacted, and then it picked up with “undermine and influence the outcome of the 2016 U.S. presidential election in violation of U.S. criminal law. Mr. Page is a former foreign policy adviser to a candidate for U.S. president.”
Adding:
CNN: FBI releases Carter Page surveillance warrant documents

¡Sterngard! come home.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 am

Question.
Sessions, as AGOTUS, would have control of the timing of the release of the Page documents.
Right?
Except that he recused himself, so the timing, meant to forestall the impeachment proceedings, happened because Sessions recused himself, right?

Trump will be furious.
Do we have an Over-Under on whether he tells Congress to move forward?
I'll take Over, and the 6 GOP Representatives refuse.

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 am

New York Times: Without Evidence, Trump Claims Vindication From Release of Carter Page Documents
Politico: Carter Page acknowledges working as informal adviser to Russia
WaPo - Philip Bump: With the release of new documents, Devin Nunes’ memo on Carter Page has gotten even less credible
The Hill: Schiff: Surveillance warrant docs show that Nunes memo 'misrepresented and distorted these applications'
The Hill: Rubio pushes back on Trump: DOJ didn't do anything wrong with Carter Page surveillance
Law & Crime: Here’s the 5 Important Details We Learned From Just Released Carter Page FISA Warrant

¡Sterngard! come home.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 am

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-make-c ... plications
What to Make of the Carter Page FISA Applications

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:05 am

Cross-posting

WaPo
Trump calls for end of Mueller probe, saying it’s ‘discredited’ by Carter Page surveillance

President Trump on Monday made a fresh call to end the investigation of special counsel Robert S. Muller III, citing the release over the weekend of a previously classified application to wiretap former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, who was under suspicion by the FBI of being a Russian agent.

In a series of tweets, Trump falsely claimed that Mueller’s investigation was prompted by the surveillance. Trump and other Republicans have accused the FBI of relying too heavily on a dossier compiled by a former British intelligence officer to seek the surveillance order for Page from a federal judge, arguing Trump was the real target.

In his tweets, Trump complained that the “Fake Dirty Dossier” compiled by Christopher Steele was paid for by Democrats and Hillary Clinton’s campaign, saying it “was responsible for starting the totally conflicted and discredited Mueller Witch Hunt!”

“A disgrace to America,” Trump wrote. “They should drop the discredited Mueller Witch Hunt now!”

The counterintelligence investigation by the FBI into Russian election interference began months before the Obama administration sought the court surveillance order on Page in October 2016. Muller was appointed as special counsel in May 2017, after Trump fired then-FBI Director James B. Comey.

¡Sterngard! come home.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 am

This thread is worth reading in its entirety, even if it was a mighty depressing read for a criminal defense attorney on a Monday morning.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Business Insider: Here's what's actually in the FBI's Carter Page surveillance docs, and how it matches up with what lawmakers are saying about them

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Politico
White House: Trump considering revoking clearances from former CIA, FBI chiefs

President Donald Trump is considering revoking security clearances from ex-officials including former CIA Director John Brennan, former FBI Director James Comey and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Monday.

Sanders said Trump believes the former officials "politicized" their positions by accusing Trump of inappropriate contact with Russia, and she said in some cases they "monetized their clearances," without clarifying what she meant.

"The fact that people with security clearances are making baseless charges provides inappropriate legitimacy to accusations with zero evidence," Sanders said. She also said Trump was eyeing clearances held by former NSA Director Michael Hayden, former national security adviser Susan Rice and former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Return to “Congress”