Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Slim Cognito

Re: Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

From this IANAL's naive and unsophisticated point of view, sounds like they want all Mueller's sekrits so Nunes can blab to Trump, Giuliani (where's he been lately?) and Hannity. That gives them lots o'time to spin it, accusing evil Mueller of manufacturing evidence to frame dear leader. The trumpanzees will respond accordingly.

ImageImageImage x4

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Nunes doesn't even read these documents he's been requesting. He will keep requesting more until Rosenstein says no, then Trump will try to claim he has grounds to fire him. I don't think he has the support for that yet, but it will help him to leave that option open.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:30 am

CNN: Embattled FBI agent meets with Congress behind closed doors in 11-hour marathon ...

Strzok's interview -- which stretched more than 11 hours and included unclassified and classified sessions -- was just the latest instance where Republicans and Democrats came away with dueling assessments over the FBI's actions during the 2016 election.
Daily Beast: Rogue FBI Agent Peter Strzok Swears: I Had Nothing to Do With Spying on Carter Page

Peter Strzok, fired by Robert Mueller and a top target for Hill Republicans and Trump, testified behind closed doors that he was not involved in the FISA application, sources say.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Politico
House GOP rips Rosenstein to his face

House Republicans on Thursday mounted a multi-front effort to rebuke and embarrass the GOP-led Justice Department, hauling Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein before an "emergency" hearing of the Judiciary Committee just as the House voted to accuse him of flouting congressional document requests.

Face-to-face with Rosenstein and FBI Director Chris Wray, Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte invoked the Church Committee — the 1975 investigation into federal surveillance abuses against figures like Martin Luther King, Jr. — and suggested history was repeating itself in the ongoing investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia on its election interference efforts. ...

Just as the House began voting on the resolution to rebuke Rosenstein, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) blasted Rosenstein, accusing him of "keeping information from Congress" and prompting a sharp rebuttal from Rosenstein.

"Your use of this to attack me personally is deeply wrong," Rosenstein said emphatically, noting that he's one part of a large team working on congressional document requests, and rejecting the suggestion that he personally screened the information Congress had demanded. "If you're interested in the truth ... we have a team of folks who are Trump appointees." ...

Shortly after the exchange, the House passed the resolution by a 226-183 vote that split along party lines.

The measure, which is nonbinding, accuses Rosenstein of bucking congressional demands for documents connected to the Russia probe and calls for the Justice Department to comply with subpoenas issued by the Judiciary and Intelligence committees by July 6. President Donald Trump's congressional allies have suggested that failure to do so could lead to holding Rosenstein in contempt or even seeking his impeachment.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Crap.
That went real well <sarcasm>

We've got work to doing!
So, pull on your Sock Puppets --and start Mis-spelling!!!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord
(DNA tests reveal a recessive, silent 'm')

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
Following Following @atrupar
More
LOL! The room breaks out in laughter as @Jim_Jordan makes a fool of himself by suggesting he thinks it's possible to subpoena "phone calls." What a dolt.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Well, at least Jim Jordan's hilarious self-own was pretty entertaining. Especially Rosenstein's deadpan retort that it isn't possible to subpoena phone calls followed by laughter in the gallery at Jordan's expense. What an idiot.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

I love his confident demeanor. I might add that I didn't hear "I don't recall" in any of the videos.
He is tough.

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:48 pm

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Jim Jordan is an eagle-eyed moron.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Could be just me, but Rosenstein looked like he felt like the only adult in the room.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:07 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:53 pm
Could be just me, but Rosenstein looked like he felt like the only adult in the room.
He looked to me like he was pining for the halcyon days of J. Edgar Hoover, when the FBI had enough dirt on every politician to prevent that sort of thing.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:13 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:07 pm
He looked to me like he was pining for the halcyon days of J. Edgar Hoover, when the FBI had enough dirt on every politician to prevent that sort of thing.
For dirt to work, you need shame.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm

They had Strozk for 11 hours if I heard right.These things are opportunities to get their soundbites on camera for the base.
But, in closed session how the hell can it lastthat long?
He handles himself well, but if he wants to counter this he should hold a press conference.
This is partisan nonsense.
Is there full precedent for requesting documents on an ongoing investigation into the President by his party?
I wasn't politically aware enough to make note of such for Clinton. Was such a thing done during the Benghazi investigations?

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Precedent means nothing.
:bag:

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Danraft wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm
They had Strozk for 11 hours if I heard right.These things are opportunities to get their soundbites on camera for the base.
But, in closed session how the hell can it lastthat long?
He handles himself well, but if he wants to counter this he should hold a press conference.
This is partisan nonsense.
Is there full precedent for requesting documents on an ongoing investigation into the President by his party?
I wasn't politically aware enough to make note of such for Clinton. Was such a thing done during the Benghazi investigations?
They want all the dirt Mueller has on Trump so they can pre-spin it. That way, when the indictments come out, Fox will have already convinced people Mueller is framing Trump.

ImageImageImage x4

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Slim, that's exactly my interpretation. "What do you know and how do you know it? Names please." And intimidation that any testimony won't stay private.
Tek, setting aside it "means nothing", I am really curious if there is precedent to help me put it into context.

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm

this is being reported that Jordan got smacked down. That and the fact people were laughing at him is the only soundbite that's needed. Frankly, Jordan looked like a petulant idiot and whats on the news is the moment where everyone was laughing at him. It's easy copy. Whats Rosenstein supposed to do, have a press conference where he calls the guy an idiot? Ya that wouldn't be spun halfway to treason about how partisan Rosenstein is.

Frankly he did the right thing at the end where the chairman called Jordan out and gave Rosenstein an opportunity to respond.

https://twitter.com/CNNJason/status/1012358376284512257
Jason K. Morrell
‏Verified account @CNNJason

Another soft burn.

"No need Mr. Goodlatte, thank you."
Message "we are done with your stupid nonsense."

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 pm

LOL these people attack the press every day until today when they are waving printouts of websites around and asking a guy in front of them under oath which statement they are supposed to believe.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:29 am

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 pm

The Hill
Strzok's lawyer demands House panel release interview transcript, accuses GOP lawmakers of partisan leaks

The lawyer for FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok is calling on the House Judiciary Committee to release the transcript from his recent closed-door testimony before the panel, claiming Republican lawmakers are disseminating false information about his interview.

“Pete, more than anyone, wants full transparency around the examination of his work," Strzok’s attorney, Aitan Goelman, said in a statement late Thursday.

"We ask again that the Committee release the full, unclassified transcript instead of leaking selective excerpts designed to further a partisan agenda," Goelman continued.

Strzok has faced a barrage of attacks from President Trump and conservatives after an internal investigation revealed he had been sending messages critical of the then-Republican candidate during the 2016 presidential race to FBI lawyer Lisa Page.

The Judiciary Committee, teeming with some of the fiercest critics of the FBI and Department of Justice (DOJ), grilled Strzok for a grueling 11-hours on Wednesday.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Yeah. Who would have guessed the closed door session would have resulted in partisan spin?
<snark>
Democratic Congressmen, IMO, should have insisted the non classified portion be public.
I know. I beat this dead horse, that they seem incapable of winning tic tac toe, but I politely insist on being consistent.
<grumble grumble "short sighted weak minded play to lose" grumble grumble>
Rant complete. Consistency achieved.
(and, btw, that's what "please stop' was referring to-being put in "check" and moving an unrelated pawn)

We've got work to doing!

- Dr Whom, Time Lord

vic

Post by vic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Danraft wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:00 pm
Yeah. Who would have guessed the closed door session would have resulted in partisan spin?
<snark>
Democratic Congressmen, IMO, should have insisted the non classified portion be public.
I know. I beat this dead horse, that they seem incapable of winning tic tac toe, but I politely insist on being consistent.
(and, btw, that's what "please stop' was referring to-being put in "check" and moving an unrelated pawn)
Maybe they did insist. But with the chairman making the rules, what could they do? They could boycott the hearing, and then Strzok would have had no chance to get his side across. And then the Republicans would gladly release a transcript which put him in the worst possible light.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Danraft wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:00 pm
<snark>
Uh, the Democrats at several points during yesterday's questioning of Rosenstein and Wray demanded that the transcript of Strozk's interview be released. It's not a matter of them being "incapable of winning tic tac toe," it's a matter of the House of Representatives essentially affords zero power for the minority to do anything at all, particularly on committees.

Return to “Congress”