Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Addie

Re: Congressional Committees: Re FBI's Independence

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm

CNN
Rep. Chris Stewart joins other Republicans in calling for Sessions to step down

GOP Rep. Chris Stewart, a member of the House Intelligence Committee, joined the growing list of Republicans calling for Attorney General Jeff Sessions to resign.

"This is hard for me, it really is, because I think Jeff Sessions is one of the most honorable men in Washington, D.C.," Stewart told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Friday afternoon. "But we have been weakened in our investigation into very important concerns at the Department of Justice and the FBI. Jeff Sessions is not able to take the reins and direct that investigation."

He continued: "We need the director there who can take the reins and be assertive in that. He can't do that when he is recused. I believe it may be time for him to step aside."

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:58 am

WaPo - Aaron Blake
The GOP’s very strange letter calling for an investigation of Christopher Steele ...

The backdrop against which this letter has suddenly emerged is extremely important here.

There is an increasing effort among Republicans and the conservative-leaning media to question the legitimacy of the Russia investigation. Increasingly prominent in that effort are attempts to use the Steele dossier as the basis for a deep-state conspiracy against the president. The argument is basically that the dossier was used as the pretext for investigating the Trump campaign — despite The Washington Post and others reporting that other things also factored into that decision — and that it represents collusion between the Democrats who helped fund it and federal law enforcement. Grassley has long called for answers about the FBI's use of the Steele dossier. The FBI at one point reached an agreement to use Steele as a source, though that agreement was scrapped when his role in creating the dossier became public.

As a journalist, you generally prefer that things be stated on the record for all to see. But in this case, Grassley and Graham are making a very serious accusation about someone who is deeply involved in the most significant political story in our country right now, and without any substantiation.

Why not make this referral privately? What's the purpose of making it public, besides raising suspicions about Steele personally — and without the chance to really defend himself against unspecified charges?

About the only reason I can think of is that they want to apply political pressure — either because they don't trust the Justice Department to investigate Steele if they inquired privately or because they want to make the case that the investigation ignored their concerns if it doesn't, or both.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 am

WaPo - Fact Checker Analysis: What you need to know about Christopher Steele, the FBI and the Trump ‘dossier’

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm

The Hill
Trump: Republicans should 'take control' of Russia investigation

President Trump on Wednesday called on Republicans to “take control” of the investigation into whether his campaign colluded with Russia and labeled the ongoing probe the “single greatest Witch Hunt in American history.”

“There was no collusion, everybody including the Dems knows there was no collusion, & yet on and on it goes. Russia & the world is laughing at the stupidity they are witnessing. Republicans should finally take control!” Trump tweeted. ...

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he's not sure what the president had in mind with his comments, adding that he doesn’t plan to follow up with Trump on the matter.

“I don’t intend to have a discussion with the president on that point and I hope he doesn’t call me and tell me the same thing that you said he said,” Grassley told CNN’s Manu Raju on Wednesday when told about Trump's tweet.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm
The Hill
Trump: Republicans should 'take control' of Russia investigation

President Trump on Wednesday called on Republicans to “take control” of the investigation into whether his campaign colluded with Russia and labeled the ongoing probe the “single greatest Witch Hunt in American history.”

“There was no collusion, everybody including the Dems knows there was no collusion, & yet on and on it goes. Russia & the world is laughing at the stupidity they are witnessing. Republicans should finally take control!” Trump tweeted. ...

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he's not sure what the president had in mind with his comments, adding that he doesn’t plan to follow up with Trump on the matter.

“I don’t intend to have a discussion with the president on that point and I hope he doesn’t call me and tell me the same thing that you said he said,” Grassley told CNN’s Manu Raju on Wednesday when told about Trump's tweet.
His tweet didn't really say what he thought they should take control of. It just said Republicans should "take control". I guess one can assume he meant the investigation, but who knows what he means.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Addie wrote:
The Hill

:snippity:
His tweet didn't really say what he thought they should take control of. It just said Republicans should "take control". I guess one can assume he meant the investigation, but who knows what he means.
"Take control" ==> "Shut those investigations down asap."

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm
RVInit wrote:
Addie wrote:
The Hill

:snippity:
That is exactly what he is chomping at the bit trying to find a way to do.

Birfers are toast

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Isn't Steele a Brit? Even if the Congress decides to spend money on an investigation of him, what exactly can they do? Other than put him on a list of those not allowed in the country?

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm
Other than put him on a list of those not allowed in the country?
He could be charged with a crime. And the US could submit his name to Interpol/seek extradition.

And, in theory, be snatched and sent to an American jail.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm

bob wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm
Jez wrote:
He could be charged with a crime. And the US could submit his name to Interpol/seek extradition.

They would need to get creative, lieing to the FBI is not considered a crime for extradition.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:45 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm
bob wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm
Jez wrote:

They would need to get creative, lieing to the FBI is not considered a crime for extradition.
I still think it's about pointing the finger at somebody they don't have to offer evidence against. It's a win/win.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:07 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm
RVInit wrote:

That is exactly what he is chomping at the bit trying to find a way to do.
:thumbs:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Cross-posting
ABC News: FBI vets: What many are missing about the infamous 'dossier' amid Russia probe

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 am

HuffPo
House GOPers Say A Secret Memo Could End The Trump-Russia Probe. Their Staff Wrote It.

#ReleaseTheMemo is the latest way Republicans on Capitol Hill are trying to undermine the Mueller probe.

WASHINGTON ― House Republicans spent the end of the workweek telling everyone who would listen that the American people must be allowed to see a top-secret four-page document that could bring an end to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 elections.

One thing about that document: Republican staffers wrote it.

The memo Republican staffers compiled reveals information that is “absolutely shocking,” “sickening,” “jaw-dropping” and “worse than Watergate,” GOP members of Congress said Thursday and Friday. The document could send government officials to jail, one congressman said. “Is this happening in America or is this the KGB?” asked another.

Even the most plugged-in news consumer could be forgiven for thinking the classified memo is an executive branch document that exposes wrongdoing within the Justice Department and the FBI. It isn’t. ...

Later on Friday, all nine Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee issued a statement calling the memo a “misleading set of talking points attacking the FBI.” Since the documents that the GOP-prepared memo cites are highly classified, the Democrats said, they will not be made public and it will become “impossible for the few Members who have seen the documents to explain the flaws and misstatements contained within the talking points” without disclosing sources and methods.

“This is by design,” they said. “Not surprisingly, the GOP campaign to attack the FBI now has been joined by the same forces that made common cause during the Trump campaign — Wikileaks, Julian Assange and a multitude of online Russian bots are now involved in promoting this effort. It should be seen for what it so plainly is: yet another desperate and flailing attempt to undermine Special Counsel Mueller and the FBI, regardless of the profound damage it does to our democratic institutions and national security agencies.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am

Many of those #releasethememo accounts are Russian, which tells you something.

That's part of why I asked if anyone has any idea whether this "memo" is anything legitimate or that could end the investigation.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Adam Schiff says:
But Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said that the memo was a "profoundly misleading set of talking points drafted by Republican staff attacking the FBI and its handling of the investigation."
"Rife with factual inaccuracies and referencing highly classified materials that most of Republican Intelligence Committee members were forced to acknowledge they had never read, this is meant only to give Republican House members a distorted view of the FBI," Schiff said in a statement. "This may help carry White House water, but it is a deep disservice to our law enforcement professionals."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/ ... index.html

This is all I got.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am

That's part of why I asked if anyone has any idea whether this "memo" is anything legitimate or that could end the investigation.
I learnt from the innertoobz somewheres that Nunes had a hand in drafting the memo.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm
pipistrelle wrote:

I learnt from the innertoobz somewheres that Nunes had a hand in drafting the memo.
Without going all conspiracy, it all does make one wonder why Nunes works so hard.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm
pipistrelle wrote:

Without going all conspiracy, it all does make one wonder why Nunes works so hard.
Some suggest sycophancy.
Some suggest stupidity.
I suggest delusion.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Axios
Devin Nunes won't show FBI the FISA abuses memo

Rep. Devin Nunes, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, has declined to show the FBI a memo he co-wrote which accuses the intelligence community of abusing FISA, the Daily Beast reports. The memo alleges that the FBI used the Steele dossier on Trump-Russia ties as a pretext to obtain FISA wiretaps against American citizens.

The backdrop: The classified memo has been thrust into the spotlight with House Republicans and right-wing media demanding that the Intel Committee #ReleaseTheMemo and make the allegations public.

¡Qué vergüenza!

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 pm

So does this guy know his shit?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

He should know it, but he seems to lack the capacity for self-reflection.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm
He should know it, but he seems to lack the capacity for self-reflection.

He seems to think Obama really wiretapped Trump and that FISA courts hand out warrants for no good reason.

Must be really easy to get a law degree wherever he went.

Return to “Congress”