Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Lani

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:00 pm

No worries. State Department sez sanctions will improve relations with Russia!
The near unanimous votes for the sanctions legislation in Congress represent the strong will of the American people to see Russia take steps to improve relations with the United States. We hope that there will be cooperation between our two countries on major global issues and these sanctions will no longer be necessary.
https://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks ... 272938.htm

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:54 pm

The Hill
Dems introduce act would authorize FBI Director to revoke WH staff security clearance

A group of House Democrats have introduced a measure that would give the FBI director the authority to revoke a White House staffer's security clearance if they deem it necessary to national security.

The bill, called the Security Clearance Review Act, was introduced by Reps. Don Beyer (D-Va.) and John Conyers (D-Mich.) on Friday, and backed by 19 other Democratic co-sponsors.

The measure is the latest effort by some Democrats geared toward revoking the security clearance of President Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner.

Kushner has faced scrutiny over his failure to disclose meetings with Russian nationals and officials during the 2016 election and presidential transition.

"Donald Trump’s refusal to hold his senior staff accountable for their deceptions on Russia have sadly made this legislation necessary,” Beyer said. “Despite all we have learned about his secret meetings with Russians, Jared Kushner apparently continues to hold his clearance."

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:43 pm

Bill Browder's full letter to the House Judiciary Committee
“I hope that my story will help you understand the methods of Russian operatives in Washington and how they use U.S. enablers to achieve major foreign policy goals without disclosing those interests,” Browder writes

Russia has a well-known reputation for corruption; unfortunately, I discovered that it was far worse than many had thought. While working in Moscow I learned that Russian oligarchs stole from shareholders, which included the fund I advised. Consequently, I had an interest in fighting this endemic corruption, so my firm started doing detailed research on exactly how the oligarchs stole the vast amounts of money that they did. When we were finished with our research we would share it with the domestic and international media.

For a time, this naming and shaming campaign worked remarkably well and led to less corruption and increased share prices in the companies we invested in. Why? Because President Vladimir Putin and I shared the same set of enemies. When Putin was first elected in 2000, he found that the oligarchs had misappropriated much of the president’s power as well. They stole power from him while stealing money from my investors. In Russia, your enemy’s enemy is your friend, and even though I’ve never met Putin, he would often step into my battles with the oligarchs and crack down on them.

That all changed in July 2003, when Putin arrested Russia’s biggest oligarch and richest man, Mikhail Khodorkovsky. Putin grabbed Khodorkovsky off his private jet, took him back to Moscow, put him on trial, and allowed television cameras to film Khodorkovsky sitting in a cage right in the middle of the courtroom. That image was extremely powerful, because none of the other oligarchs wanted to be in the same position. After Khodorkovsky’s conviction, the other oligarchs went to Putin and asked him what they needed to do to avoid sitting in the same cage as Khodorkovsky. From what followed, it appeared that Putin’s answer was, “Fifty percent.” He wasn’t saying 50 percent for the Russian government or the presidential administration of Russia, but 50 percent for Vladimir Putin personally. From that moment on, Putin became the biggest oligarch in Russia and the richest man in the world, and my anti-corruption activities would no longer be tolerated.
More here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ee/534864/

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:51 pm

BuzzFeed News
The Center For American Progress Is Releasing A Nearly 50-Page Report Claiming Trump-Russia Collusion

A major progressive think tank wants Democrats to stop being shy about accusing the Trump campaign of colluding with Russia.

The Center for American Progress has written a nearly 50-page report for Democrats in Congress, making the case for collusion between President Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia. The report, a draft of which was reviewed by BuzzFeed News ahead of its release Wednesday, makes the bold claim “it is now clear there was collusion” and that “this is the biggest political scandal in American history.”

CAP’s report, which includes several appendices linking to news reports and quotes from the Trump administration, does not include any new information, but it does represent a push for a dramatic change of tone for Democrats in Congress.

“We're... trying to convey that it’s time to stop beating around the bush on Trump’s collusion with Russia. There is a mountain of evidence that Trump and his associates colluded with Russia and it’s time to start saying so,” Adam Jentleson, senior strategic adviser and the former deputy chief of staff for Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid, told BuzzFeed News in an email. ...

CAP’s plan is to deliver the report to “key offices” on the Hill with the hope of giving Democrats the “confidence” to make a collusion argument. Jentleson said Democratic leadership, as well as members of the Judiciary and Intelligence committees in the House and Senate will be receiving the report.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 pm

Addie wrote:BuzzFeed News
The Center For American Progress Is Releasing A Nearly 50-Page Report Claiming Trump-Russia Collusion

A major progressive think tank wants Democrats to stop being shy about accusing the Trump campaign of colluding with Russia.
:snippity:

CAP’s plan is to deliver the report to “key offices” on the Hill with the hope of giving Democrats the “confidence” to make a collusion argument. Jentleson said Democratic leadership, as well as members of the Judiciary and Intelligence committees in the House and Senate will be receiving the report.
Methinks it might be a good idea to deliver the report to the GOP as well. Slowly but surely, more and more of them are starting to act like Americans rather than just Repubs.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 am

Karma is a bitch." - Jomas Thefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Foggy wrote:I need my own copy. :smoking:
YES!!!!!!

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Cross-posting

Center for American Progress
Russiagate: The Depth of Collusion

Introduction and summary

According to the U.S. intelligence community report released on January 6, 2017, Russia mounted an “unprecedented” intervention into our 2016 presidential election with the expressed intent “to undermine public faith in the U.S. democratic process” and to elect Donald Trump. Therefore, there were effectively two campaigns to elect Donald Trump in the 2016 cycle: the Trump campaign and the Russian campaign. At question is whether these campaigns acted entirely independently of each other or whether there was collusion—which, in this context, entails secretly working with the Russians to advance their campaign in a U.S. election. It is now clear there was collusion. ...

This report outlines:
What is known about collusion between the Trump campaign, the Trump administration, and the Kremlin

The potential depths of collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow

The legal jeopardy and what laws may have been broken
Foggy wrote:I need my own copy. :smoking:

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 am

Politico
Hunt for Trump dossier author inflames Russia probe

Two Republican House Intelligence Committee staffers traveled to London earlier this summer to track down the former British intelligence operative who compiled a controversial dossier on President Donald Trump and Russia, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The previously unreported trip underscores the importance of the 35-page dossier Christopher Steele wrote last year to Congressional probes into possible collusion between Moscow and the 2016 Trump campaign.

It has also inflamed simmering tensions between House and Senate investigators as they pursue parallel probes into the Trump-Russia connection. House Intelligence Committee Republicans did not tell Democrats on the House panel, the Senate Intelligence Committee nor special counsel Robert Mueller’s office that the investigators were pursuing Steele.

The House staffers left their contact information at two addresses associated with Steele, a former agent for Britain’s MI6 foreign intelligence service. One of those locations was Steele’s lawyer’s office, where the former spy was meeting with his counsel when the House investigators showed up.

Senate officials—whom NBC News has reported were negotiating their own interview with Steele—fear the aggressive move could spook Steele and derail his potential cooperation with their own probe.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm

CNN
Sources: House GOP staffers fly to London to find Steele, invite to testify expected ...

A congressional source familiar with the trip said House investigators are expected to send a letter to the author of the file, Christopher Steele, inviting him to testify before the House intelligence committee -- but it will have to be approved by the leaders of the panel's investigation first.

Steele, a former British intelligence official, has been a highly sought-after witness ever since it was revealed he wrote the dossier, which contained unverified claims that Russian operatives had compromising personal and financial information about Trump. ...

The trip by House Republican staff investigating Russian interference in the US election touched off a spat behind the scenes at the Capitol because Democrats on the investigation were kept in the dark, according to a separate source familiar with the trip.

But another source downplayed anger from Democrats on the House committee and Senate staff who were also seeking Steele, saying that it was not coordinated with them because the House Republican staffers' orders were to find a contact for Steele's lawyer -- not directly interview Steele in London or try to schedule an interview with Steele there. ...

The effort to bring in Steele speaks to the larger tug of war between House, Senate and federal investigators working with special counsel Robert Mueller, who are all competing for access to many of the same witnesses. The trip was first reported by Politico Friday.

¡Qué vergüenza!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:25 pm

it was not coordinated with them because the House Republican staffers' orders were to find a contact for Steele's lawyer -- not directly interview Steele in London or try to schedule an interview with Steele there. ...
Is that somehow easier for random US travelers to do in person in a large, unfamiliar metro versus over the internet and phone?

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 pm

gupwalla wrote:
it was not coordinated with them because the House Republican staffers' orders were to find a contact for Steele's lawyer -- not directly interview Steele in London or try to schedule an interview with Steele there. ...
Is that somehow easier for random US travelers to do in person in a large, unfamiliar metro versus over the internet and phone?
Sounds like some staffers decided on a ROAD TRIP at taxpayer expense.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:01 am

Why Dana Rohrabacher's name keeps coming up in the Russia investigation
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol- ... story.html
It’s a story that involves Russian tax fraud, foreign adoptions, dinner with a foreign agent and a meeting in Trump Tower with the soon-to-be president’s son. And much of it has just recently come to light.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:30 pm

CNN
Schiff: We want to meet with dossier author

Washington (CNN)California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff said both he and the Republican leading the House intelligence committee's Russia investigation want to meet with the former British intelligence officer who authored a controversial dossier containing explosive allegations about President Donald Trump and top members of his campaign.

Schiff's comments to CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday came after news broke that a pair of Republican staff members on the committee traveled to London to try to get an interview with the dossier author, Christopher Steele. In the interview, Schiff said he had not known about the trip and suspected Texas Rep. Mike Conaway, the Republican leading the investigation, had not either.

"I wasn't aware of it," Schiff said. "I don't think Mr. Conaway was either. But the reality is we do want to meet with Mr. Steele." ...

Steele has largely shied from the spotlight since it became public that he wrote the incendiary document, and Schiff said he and Conaway would be willing to interview Steele in the United Kingdom should Steele not wish to travel to the United States.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Bloomberg
‘Good Conservative’ Grassley Ramps Up His Panel’s Trump-Russia Probe

Donald Trump may have annoyed the wrong man in Congress.

Senator Chuck Grassley, the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, has been ramping up an investigation into possible collusion between Russia and Trump’s presidential campaign, in addition to the president’s dismissal of former FBI Director James Comey.

The plain-spoken Iowa Republican had sharply criticized the administration’s initial failure to respond to many lawmakers’ requests for information. He also hasn’t been shy about other topics, including the use of foul language by the recently dismissed White House communications chief, Anthony Scaramucci.

Grassley’s decision to move full speed ahead on Russia, including threatening Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr., and others with subpoenas, will likely force a more public -- and unpredictable --- autopsy of topics the administration would rather fade away. Grassley, working with the Judiciary Committee’s top Democrat, Dianne Feinstein of California, is pressing to uncover any attempts to obstruct justice or influence the presidential election.

The senator’s approach puzzles some of his Republican colleagues. GOP leaders have preferred to keep the Russia probe limited to the Intelligence Committee, a buttoned-down panel that usually conducts its business behind closed doors.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Addie wrote:Bloomberg
‘Good Conservative’ Grassley Ramps Up His Panel’s Trump-Russia Probe

Donald Trump may have annoyed the wrong man in Congress.

The senator’s approach puzzles some of his Republican colleagues. GOP leaders have preferred to keep the Russia probe limited to the Intelligence Committee, a buttoned-down panel that usually conducts its business behind closed doors.
The other Republicans haven't seen the documents that shocked Grassley to his core forcing him to ask Dianne Feinstein to speak at a press gathering.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Tell ya what... the look on their faces after that briefing chilled me to the bone.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:42 pm

I know I've never gotten over it.
RoadScholar wrote:Tell ya what... the look on their faces after that briefing chilled me to the bone.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Addie wrote:I know I've never gotten over it.
RoadScholar wrote:Tell ya what... the look on their faces after that briefing chilled me to the bone.
Same here.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Kendra wrote:
Addie wrote:I know I've never gotten over it.
Same here.
Me three.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Me four.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Me five.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:22 am

That's it. As grim as it gets.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks for finding this, pipi!

Return to “Congress”