Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 pm

I'll add to my post on the Jim Jordan thread that, though I am an atheist, I wouldn't mind there being a Hell to which we could send Louie Gohmert. His line of questioning was the most disgraceful, classless, bush league, irresponsible bullying since the Army-McCarthy hearings, and even Brit Hume called him out for it.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:20 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 pm
I'll add to my post on the Jim Jordan thread that, though I am an atheist, I wouldn't mind there being a Hell to which we could send Louie Gohmert. His line of questioning was the most disgraceful, classless, bush league, irresponsible bullying since the Army-McCarthy hearings, and even Brit Hume called him out for it.
:fingerwag: Cf. Carl Gallups on the Facebook:
OMGOSH! YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS EXCHANGE!
It need to be said - and Louis Gomert from TX SAID IT!
WOW!
The RWNJs are loving this bread and circuses.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 pm

David Cicilline:

UPDATE: Republicans couldn’t find an excuse to stop us from releasing the Strzok transcript. Sending to DOJ for redactions and will release as soon as it’s available.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Did Gym Jordan get to ask any questions?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:20 pm
fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:11 pm
:fingerwag: Cf. Carl Gallups on the Facebook:
OMGOSH! YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS EXCHANGE!
It need to be said - and Louis Gomert from TX SAID IT!
WOW!
The RWNJs are loving this bread and circuses.
It's totally ridiculous that they are getting all high and mighty about marital infidelity.

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Turtle wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm
Did Gym Jordan get to ask any questions?
I just googled it and he did. He apparently spent his time trying to discuss from whom Strzok received the “three dossiers from. Trying to catch him up and failing.

I would link but am on my phone. Sorry.

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 pm

I was out most of the day today, but what I saw at the beginning and end was pretty appalling from the republicans. It's time for the FBI to start investigating them.

:brickwallsmall:

Strzok seems to have held up very well, though. Maybe the Democrats could take some lessons from him.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:34 am

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 pm
I was out most of the day today, but what I saw at the beginning and end was pretty appalling from the republicans. It's time for the FBI to start investigating them.

:brickwallsmall:

Strzok seems to have held up very well, though. Maybe the Democrats could take some lessons from him.
He did hold up very well. I thought he had excellent command of the facts and recall.

It was plain that he holds Pinhead Gowdy and Jim Jordan in unabashed contempt.

Heck, in the afternoon when other GOP worms would yield their time to Jordan there were audible groans from the audience. (No offense meant towards worms)

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:59 am

They thought that Jordan needed to "look tough" to counter the Ohio State issue.

It didn't seem to work out so well.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:17 am

This is the whole argument:
"He wrote some critical texts and I can't point to evidence of bias in his investigative actions, but he's biased because just look at him he has bias and also look at the texts!"

I imagine it would have hit harder if they were able to get Strzok to lose his composure.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 am

:?:

Who are the men sitting directly behind Strozck (sp?) during his testimony? Fellow FBI agents?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Crooks and Liars
Rep. Kathleen Rice Goes Full New Yorker On DHS Officials

Anyhow, Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-NY), ranking Dem on the House's Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, asked if top DHS officials agreed with our intelligence agencies' assessments (and the Senate Intelligence Committee's assessment) that Russia interfered with our elections in 2016. Two of those top officials, Soraya Correa and John Zangardi refused to take a position.

This did not go well for them. Let's just say Rice's bullshit detector was set on high, and her threshold was low. Just a few words into Correa's fumbling non-answer to the Yes or No question, Rice pulled the classic, sharp-toned "I have stop you there." This drew a comically contrite response from Correa, who immediately recoiled, placed her hands in her lap, and said, "I'm sorry." And yet...

Correa ultimately claimed she had no opinion on whether Russia interfered.

Rep. Rice told her, "That is frightening. FRIGHTENING."

Then, pointing to Zagardi, Rice said, "How 'bout you?"

ZAGARDI: Yes, thank you for the opportu...

RICE: YES OR NO? Do you agree with the findings?

ZAGARDI: Ma'am, I'm here to testify to the authority...

(Oh, John. John. That was a piss-poor idea.)

RICE: No, you're here to ANSWER MY QUESTIONS...If we can’t get people here … to acknowledge that there was interference in the 2016 election, none of you should be in the positions that you’re in to protect us in 2018, or 2020...So, Yes or No?

¡Estiveo! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 pm

CNN
In rebuke to Trump, senators may vote to side with US intel community

(CNN) Talks have begun on Capitol Hill to reaffirm support in the Senate for the intelligence community's assessment that Russia interfered in the US elections, Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn told CNN on Monday evening.

The discussions have only just begun, but GOP lawmakers are discussing putting together a measure that would clearly state support for the unanimous conclusion within the intelligence community that Russia was behind the 2016 attacks on the US elections.

"There's some discussion about what we might be able to do to let the community know we are supportive of them and their efforts -- and not be confused by any of this," Cornyn, who's the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, said in an interview after President Donald Trump threw cold water on the intelligence community's 2017 assessment that Russian President Vladimir Putin had directed a campaign to attack the US elections with the goal of electing Trump. ...

Cornyn said it's possible senators may put together another "sense of the Senate" resolution, which would not be binding but would allow the GOP-led chamber to formally register its objections to Trump's stunning comments alongside Putin on Monday in Finland.

"I don't know what the President's mental calculation was in giving Putin a pass," the Texas Republican said. "But there's no question in my mind that Putin was responsible."

¡Estiveo! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Associated Press
Lawmakers call Trump's press conference with Putin 'bizarre,' 'shameful'

"Bizarre." "Shameful." "Disgraceful."

That's the swift and sweeping condemnation directed at President Donald Trump on Monday after he sided with Russian President Vladimir Putin during a stunning appearance in Helsinki — and that's just from the Republicans. ...

Democrats pleaded with their GOP colleagues who have majority control of Congress to rein in the president and become a stronger legislative check on the executive branch.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., the minority leader, says never in the history of the country has an American president supported an adversary the way Trump sided with Putin. He challenged Republicans to move beyond words and confront the president directly by increasing sanctions on Russia and requesting testimony about the summit from Trump administration officials, among other things.

"We need our Republican colleagues to stand up for the good of this country," he said.

And House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Trump's weakness in front of Putin wasn't just "embarrassing" but also "proves that the Russians have something on the President, personally, financially or politically."

¡Estiveo! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Reuters
Mike Pompeo to testify on Russia next week: Senate panel chair

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will testify before Congress to discuss Russia next week, the Republican chair of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee told reporters on Tuesday.

U.S. Senator Bob Corker did not give a specific date for the hearing, which comes after U.S. President Donald Trump’s summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki on Monday. Representatives for the State Department had no immediate comment on the congressional hearing.

¡Estiveo! come home.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm

I don’t trust Pompeo. He will lie. He’s Trump’s poodle.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:06 pm
I don’t trust Pompeo. He will lie. He’s Trump’s poodle.
Pompeo ain't no poodle. Poodles are very intelligent. 8-)

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Sekrit Stuffs!
PoliticusUSA
@politicususa

Former Republican strategist Steve Schmidt bluntly said that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is up to his eyeballs in the Russia scandal and needs to be removed from power.
http://ow.ly/bdSm30kZGCI

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Russia scandal is good. Let’s make it a thing.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:40 pm

It Was Mitch McConnell Who Stopped Obama From Blocking Trump’s Treason

As Trump tried to blame Obama for his potential crimes against his own country, it is important to remember that it was Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell who stopped any bipartisan action before the election against the Russian attack.

Here is the real history that Trump is trying to hide.
It was Barack Obama who wanted to issue a joint statement condemning Russian election meddling with Republicans, but Mitch McConnell refused to cooperate. It was the Obama administration that secured documents relating to the Russia investigation so that they couldn’t be destroyed by Trump and the Republicans. It was Obama who warned for years that America’s election system and infrastructure needed to be upgraded and repaired. (A warning that was ignored by Republican state and local election officials.)

McConnell went even further. When Congress wanted to act, the Senate Majority Leader expressed doubt about the intelligence that Russia was attacking the United States and stopped Congress from taking action against Russia.
The Republican Party prevented President Obama and the Democrats from doing anything to stop the Russian attack. In hindsight, we now know that this is because Republicans were also benefiting from the Russian activities.
Trump knows why Obama didn’t do anything to stop his treason. Mitch McConnell is the reason why Russia was able to attack our country. McConnell was also a big part of why Trump was able to win the election.
If America wants to blame someone when they go to the polls in November for Trump’s presence in the White House, cast your vote for the Democratic Senate candidate to blame Mitch McConnell.
https://www.politicususa.com/2018/07/14 ... eason.html

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm

DiUoE-NXkAENfTk.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm
DiUoE-NXkAENfTk.jpeg
I would love to see information about Mitch McConnell and his part in downplaying the Russian cyber and social media attack break loose on Twitter.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm
DiUoE-NXkAENfTk.jpeg
I would love to see information about Mitch McConnell and his part in downplaying the Russian cyber and social media attack break loose on Twitter.
Same here!

Return to “Congress”