Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm
Excuse me while I do the In Your Face dance!
:banana:
Hooray for Dianne Feinstein!!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer1:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 pm

I don't understand. We're in a world that it jammed with a virtually limitless set of good political choices that Democrats can make. Yet Feinstein manages to zero in, with almost uncanny accuracy, on the one that is most likely to be harmful to the country and its institutions in the long run.

Seriously SMH.

Yeah, there's a badass quality to the move. Yeah, there's a "we ain't playing" marker that's been tossed down. Fine. But she also just assaulted the institutional norms surrounding the role of the minority party, at a time when the Republican base and their overly-carotenated leader are clamoring for the elimination of the remaining minority powers in the Senate, and going into an election cycle where there is a real chance of retaking the majority - guaranteeing that, should Democrats win, the Republican minority will feel even more free to continue assaulting the remaining framework of our democratic institutions than they already have been.

Congress has, for years, been so unpopular with the American public that a 20% approval rating marks a good month. Petty bickering and a failure to work together are a big part of that. The Democrats could have run on a "restore responsible government" platform. Or they could dig deeper into the mud. They dug.

And for what? Congress isn't going to take action based on the Fusion testimony, and Mueller already has access to all the info. What do they get out of the unauthorized release, aside from a short term boost and the ability to grab a mid-week news cycle ten months before the election, at a time when the Republicans weren't doing anything anyway.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:44 pm

I think I’m with Dunford. I’m confused.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 pm

I don't care about anything whatsoever. I am happy :bunny:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:44 pm

The Hill
Cornyn breaks with Grassley, says he's 'glad' Feinstein released Fusion GPS transcript

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) broke with colleague Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) on Tuesday in saying he was "glad" that Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) released the Senate testimony of Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson. “I think that’s a good idea," Cornyn said. "I’m glad that it was done.”

"I respect Chairman Grassley, and I don't really understand how this happened, but I do think more transparency is important," Cornyn said.

A spokesman for Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, issued a statement saying it was "confounding" that Feinstein would release a transcript of the panel's interview with Simpson in the middle of an investigation.

"It’s totally confounding that Senator Feinstein would unilaterally release a transcript of a witness interview in the middle of an ongoing investigation — a witness that Feinstein herself subpoenaed last year for lack of cooperation," Grassley's press secretary said in a statement.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 pm

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
What didn’t Republicans want you to see in the Fusion GPS transcript?

Sens. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) and Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) made a fateful decision acting unilaterally with a phony “criminal referral” of Christopher Steele, a Brit over whom the United States has no jurisdiction anyway and whom they never saw testify, not just because it made them look like partisan hacks. They set a new standard that anyone on the committee could act independently and without bipartisan consent of their colleagues. So Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-Cal.) did them one better. ...

What stands out most from an initial perusal of the transcript is the professionalism and seriousness of Fusion GPS and Steele. By attempting to suppress a candid look into the dossier (really a series of memos, Simpson explains), Republicans once again are caught acting like Trump henchmen, trying to play down the investigation into Russia, not unearth and air what they learn.
Adding:
Vox - Matt Yglesias: Newly released Senate testimony debunks a key conservative theory on Trump and Russia

The big news Republicans didn’t want you to see.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:06 pm
WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
What didn’t Republicans want you to see in the Fusion GPS transcript?

Sens. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) and Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) made a fateful decision acting unilaterally with a phony “criminal referral” of Christopher Steele, a Brit over whom the United States has no jurisdiction anyway and whom they never saw testify, not just because it made them look like partisan hacks. They set a new standard that anyone on the committee could act independently and without bipartisan consent of their colleagues. So Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-Cal.) did them one better. ...
And, just like that, Grassley and Graham's egregious misconduct in unilaterally referring Steele goes from an egregious breach of democratic traditions to "a new standard" accepted by everyone. Yay normalization!

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

tek

Post by tek » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I'm with DiFi on this.

I'm tired of these GOP f'kwits smearing people with selective leaks, and carrying on "investigations" that are no such thing.

Just my $0.02.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm
I'm with DiFi on this.

I'm tired of these GOP f'kwits smearing people with selective leaks, and carrying on "investigations" that are no such thing.

Just my $0.02.
Good $.02.

You hit something critical that I had missed. If the majority has to worry about the minority releasing full information, it makes it harder to get away with selective leaks. That's a long-term benefit that I hadn't seen.

I'm still concerned that normalizing unilateral actions is going to cause a great deal of long-term harm, but the offsetting benefit is enough to make me walk back from where I was to "wait and see."

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:42 pm

tek wrote:
I'm with DiFi on this.

Just my $0.02.
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm
tek wrote:
I'm with DiFi on this.

Just my $0.02.
Good $.02.

You hit something critical that I had missed. If the majority has to worry about the minority releasing full information, it makes it harder to get away with selective leaks. That's a long-term benefit that I hadn't seen.

I'm still concerned that normalizing unilateral actions is going to cause a great deal of long-term harm, but the offsetting benefit is enough to make me walk back from where I was to "wait and see."
And this is why we love you!

tek

Post by tek » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:31 pm
tek wrote:
I'm with DiFi on this.

Just my $0.02.
Good $.02.

I'm with you on that..
It remains to be seen whether we have stateswomen who can pull this back up into the rational world, or if this is "I see your bullshit and I raise you bullshit"

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Politico
Top Democrats accuse GOP of ignoring Russia threat

Six senior House Democrats on Tuesday said Republicans "put President Trump ahead of our national interests" by failing to address the threat they said Russia poses to future U.S. elections and national security.

"Rather than pursue the truth on behalf of the American people, House Republicans have waged an aggressive campaign to shut down congressional and criminal investigations into Russia’s attack," the lawmakers wrote in a letter to Speaker Paul Ryan.

The Democrats urged Ryan to convene a meeting of leaders from both parties to begin confronting the prospect of future Russian election interference. They listed a number of issues they said Congress hasn't fully investigated, from discerning security vulnerabilities in the nation's electrical grids and infrastructure to settling questions about whether associates of President Donald Trump aided Russia's 2016 effort to influence the election.

Signing the letter were Rep. Elijah Cummings, the ranking member of the Oversight Committee; Rep. Maxine Waters, the ranking member of the Financial Services Committee; Rep. Elliot Engel, the ranking member of the Foreign Affairs Committee; Rep. Jerrold Nadler, the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee; Rep. Bob Brady, the ranking member of the administration committee and Rep. Bennie Thompson, the ranking member of the Homeland Security Committee.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 am

The Hill
Senate Dem: ‘Comity has fallen apart’ on Judiciary Committee

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said on Wednesday that comity had fallen apart on the Senate Intelligence Committee following increased tensions between Republicans and Democrats on the committee.

"Unfortunately comity has fallen apart on that committee for the time being," Murphy told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day."

"I think it's just another reminder that if we're going to get to the bottom of what happened with respect to the 2016 election, it's going to come through Robert Mueller's investigation," he continued.

"I've always been skeptical that the Judiciary Committee or the Intelligence Committee was going to keep Republicans and Democrats together on their own investigations." ...

Murphy said he thought it was the right move on Feinstein's part.

"Remember the Republicans on that committee didn't consult with her with respect to their referral to the Department of Justice on Fusion GPS," Murphy said.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 am

The Hill
Dems warn of Russian election interference across Europe ...

The report also says President Trump has not proposed a plan to ensure U.S. elections remain free of Russian interference, according to The Associated Press, which obtained a copy ahead of its public release.

“Never before has a U.S. president so clearly ignored such a grave and growing threat to U.S. national security,” says the report, which addresses Russian election interference in democracies since the 2016 presidential race.

It was spearheaded by Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.), the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and was not signed by any Republicans on the committee, according to the AP.

Cardin explained the report is an effort for Americans to understand the "true scope and scale" of attempts from Russian President Vladimir Putin to undermine democracy.

“While President Trump stands practically idle, Mr. Putin continues to refine his asymmetric arsenal and look for future opportunities to disrupt governance and erode support for the democratic and international institutions that the United States and Europe have built over the last 70 years,” Cardin said in a statement, according to the AP.

He accuses Putin of "relentless assault to undermine democracy and the rule of law in Europe and the United States."
Report (Pdf): Putin's Asymmetric assault on Democracy in Russia and Europe: Implications for U.S. National Security

¡Sterngard! come home.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am

White House Official Says Voter Fraud Panel Found Nothing, Will Delete Voter Data

Well then.

Trumpanzees are gonna be pissed. Where's those millions of illegal votes, Donnie? :twisted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wh ... mg00000009

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:31 pm

WaPo
Democrats go it alone on Russia probe after partisan breakdowns

Democrats are striking out on their own this week over all but one of the congressional investigations into Russian meddling, independently releasing reports and transcripts, and attacking Republicans they accuse of intentionally undermining active probes in deference to President Trump.

Senior Democratic officials in the Senate, frustrated by what they consider a Republican campaign to discredit the law enforcement and intelligence agencies investigating the president, cleared their members to release the interview transcript of one of the Russia investigation’s most sensitive witnesses and, separately, to publish a report detailing the disinformation and intimidation tactics the Kremlin deploys against democracies globally.

In the House, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) endorsed a letter sent Tuesday to Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), accusing him of orchestrating a campaign to bury a congressional probe into Trump’s alleged ties to the Russian government and defame the agencies investigating those matters. ...

But increasingly, Democrats see Republicans as dedicating more energy to attacking federal law enforcement than seriously investigating the allegations that have been unearthed. For them, the criminal referral of Steele — who approached the FBI in 2016 over concerns Trump could be blackmailed or compromised, Simpson told the committee — was “a breaking point,” according to one congressional aide.

¡Sterngard! come home.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 am

IANAL, but I’m curious about something. We know Trump’s firing of Comey, asking him to let Flynn go etc… is one thing that “potentially” opens him up to an obstruction of justice charge. So how is what republicans like Nunes, Grassley and others are doing to undermine or even shut down this Russian investigation all together any different? Are they not also attempts by individual republicans to obstruct justice in trying to shut down or de-legitimize this entire investigating?

Example from the WaPo article yesterday

Democrats go it alone on Russia probe after partisan breakdowns
Karoun Demirjian
Snip
House Democrats are incensed that the committee’s splintering probe is being eclipsed by new GOP-led investigations into the FBI’s conduct during the Clinton email scandal.

“House Republicans have chosen to put President Trump ahead of our national interests,” a group of six Democratic committee ranking members wrote to Ryan this week, suggesting he and other GOP leaders “have blocked, stonewalled, and rejected our basic requests to investigate, hold public hearings, and advance legislation” related to Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost ... 74f974bdf8

If so shouldn't they also be held accountable? :think:

Birfers are toast

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

Daily Beast
Steve Bannon Lawyers Up ... As Russia Investigators Get Ready to Pounce

Steve Bannon is lawyering up as he gets ready to face investigators looking into the Trump-Russia nexus.

The Daily Beast has learned that the former top White House strategist has retained Bill Burck, of the firm Quinn Emanuel. Two sources tell us Burck is helping Bannon prepare for an interview with the House intelligence committee, which is currently scheduled for next week. Sources also said Bannon plans to “fully cooperate” with investigators.

Burck also represents White House Counsel Don McGahn and former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus for the purposes of the Russia probe, as Law360 reported last September. ...

That was all months before Trump and his former chief strategist had a public falling out last week that resulted in Bannon losing his job at the pro-Trump Breitbart News.

So House investigators will have scores of questions for the ousted White House official-turned-ousted Breitbart chairman––at the exact moment when his allies have abandoned him.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Independent
Steve Bannon to be questioned by House's Trump-Russia investigation

Donald Trump’s former top strategist is to appear before congressional investigators probing possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia’s alleged meddling in the election.

Steve Bannon, who was fired by Mr Trump last summer after spending the first six months of the administration as one of the most powerful people in the White House, is to be questioned on Tuesday by members of the House Intelligence Committee. Reports suggest the committee members will focus on the months Mr Bannon spent on Mr Trump’s campaign.
Adding:
LA Times: Stephen Bannon will give closed-door testimony in House panel's Russia investigation

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

WaPo
Schiff lays out Republican efforts to block access in Russia probe

The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday detailed a list of witnesses and documents Democrats say Republicans have kept them from accessing during the panel’s Russia investigation, and blamed the committee’s chairman and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) for attempting to end the probe before it is complete.

Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.) said that committee Republicans had blocked Democrats’ efforts to subpoena Deutsche Bank for financial records related to President Trump’s family on the suspicion that Russians “may have laundered money through Trump properties.” Democrats also were stymied in their effort to subpoena executives at Twitter, Schiff said, to secure the direct messages that members of Trump’s inner circle exchanged with representatives of WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange, who Democrats believe acted as Russian intermediaries during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Schiff complained that Republicans were unwilling to press those members of the Trump team who participated in a June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower for a complete record of their communications over email, telephone, and encrypted applications. Then-campaign manager Paul Manafort, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and son Donald Trump Jr. attended the meeting, which was initially billed to Trump Jr. as a means of securing information damaging to Trump’s political opponent, Democrat Hillary Clinton.

According to two people with knowledge of the materials, the phone records Trump Jr. turned over to the panel were heavily redacted. Schiff added that GOP leaders refused to seek testimony from additional witnesses with knowledge of the Trump Tower meeting, including Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and the president’s daughter and adviser Ivanka Trump.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Bloomberg
Russia’s Oligarchs Brace for U.S. Report Listing Putin Friends

The U.S. Treasury Department is finishing its first official list of “oligarchs” close to President Vladimir Putin’s government, setting off a flurry of moves by wealthy Russians to shield their fortunes and reputations.

Some people who think they’re likely to land on the list have stress-tested the potential impact on their investments, two people with knowledge of the matter said. Others are liquidating holdings, according to their U.S. advisers.

Russian businessmen have approached former Treasury and State Department officials with experience in sanctions for help staying off the list, said Dan Fried, who previously worked at the State Department and said he turned down such offers. Some Russians sent proxies to Washington in an attempt to avoid lobbying disclosures, according to one person that was contacted.

The report is expected to amount to a blacklist of Russia’s elite. It was mandated by a law President Donald Trump reluctantly signed in August intended to penalize the Kremlin for its alleged meddling in the 2016 election. A rare piece of legislation passed with a bipartisan veto-proof margin, the law gave Treasury, the State Department and intelligence agencies 180 days to identify people by “their closeness to the Russian regime and their net worth.”

That deadline is Jan. 29.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Newsweek
Jared Kushner Will Be Interviewed By Senate Judiciary Committee For Trump-Russia Investigation, Grassley Confirms

The Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee confirmed Friday that President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, will still be interviewed as part of the committee's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

"Kushner is still going to be interviewed," Republican Senator Chuck Grassley said at a town hall meeting in western Iowa. "We're getting some more documents and that's not done."

Grassley assured constituents Friday that the interview would happen just days after expressing hesitation that his committee could easily secure a voluntary interview with Kushner after his Democratic counterpart, Senator Dianne Feinstein, published a 312-page transcript detailing a private interview with the founder of Fusion GPS, the organization behind the so-called Trump dossier. Grassley said Friday that the committee is just waiting on documents that Kushner has delayed in handing over before conducting the interview.

"We're going to do that," Grassley said as an Iowan rebuked him over the committee's five-month delay in interviewing Kushner. "Right now, Senator Feinstein is wanting more documents, and we wait until we get the documents, go through the documents, then we have a basis for the interviews that we're going to have."

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 am

Spontaneous grassroots growing against Grassley
LOGAN, Ia. — U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley faced relentless questioning about President Donald Trump’s fitness for office and his own handling of the investigation into Russian election meddling at a rural town meeting here Friday morning.

Amid a smattering of questions about trucking regulations, homeopathic medicine and pension security, a steady stream of attendees pressed Grassley to defend his handling of the ongoing Russia investigation and to offer his views on Trump’s conduct on the job.
More at the link
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 029340001/

This isn't a good sign for the GOP.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 am

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 am
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 029340001/

This isn't a good sign for the GOP.
Heather Nejedly of Pisgah caught Grassley’s attention, stood and said: “I just love our wonderful President Trump,” drawing a chorus of mocking laughter mixed with sincere applause.

“I just think we’ve all got to come together,” Nejedly said, turning to Mikels and others. “You know, I don’t know you, I don’t know you, but don’t hate so much. We’ve got to come together and stop hating so much.”
I'm sure she said the same thing about the treatment of Obama. Aren't you sure?

Return to “Congress”