The Treasury department has turned over the files related to this case

https://www.fincen.gov/news/news-releas ... t-and-long

Addie

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Addie » Sat May 13, 2017 7:05 am

McClatchy
Trump letter accounts for more than $100 million in Russian income since 2008

WASHINGTON

President Donald Trump collected at least $100 million from Russian people or organizations between 2008 and this March, according to a personal letter from his tax counsels that he released Friday in response to a senator’s unofficial query.

The amount could be higher. The letter notes that money from sales of condominiums or other products would “not have been separately identified as ‘Russian’ in your books.” The letter goes on to state that regarding such income, “the amounts are immaterial.” ...

Trump released the letter, saying it had been sent to Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who had asked former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper in a recent Senate hearing if he had ever seen “a situation where a Trump business interest in Russia caused him concern.” Clapper’s answer appeared to be less than a wholesale no – he said he’d seen nothing to concern him in the investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 election but that he couldn’t answer beyond that because it could interfere with an investigation. ...

The letter that Trump released was signed by Sheri Dillon and William Nelson and dated March 8, 2017. In it, the authors explain that they have served as tax counsel for Trump and The Trump Organization since 2005. It offers no explanation for why they were writing Trump. At the time, Trump’s possible business ties to Russia had been the subject of numerous news stories.
¡Qué vergüenza!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 13, 2017 7:22 am

Addie wrote:McClatchy
Trump letter accounts for more than $100 million in Russian income since 2008
"with few exceptions."

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 am

Addie wrote:Talking Points Memo
Grassley: Senate Wants 'Independence From The President' In FBI Dir. Nominee
At this point I can say I would be a better head of the FBI than, say, DeVos of Education, AG Sessions, Carson . . . well, you get the drift. I may not know law enforcement, etc., but I'm smart enough to know what I don't know.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 13, 2017 8:05 am

Unconfirmed, but a NYT tweet posted to DU says Comey agrees to testify only in public.
Addie wrote:I suspect so, a bipartisan subpoena. I can't blame him.
Chilidog wrote:So Comey is waiting for the subpoena?
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 13, 2017 9:45 am

Yahoo News - Michael Isikoff
Who told Trump he was in the clear? Not us, key senators say

Just hours after White House spokesman Sean Spicer said President Trump had received assurances from a key senator that the idea of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia was a “hoax,” a spokesman for the senator, Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, denied any such conversation.

“Sen. Grassley has not spoken to President Trump about what he has learned in briefings related to investigations into Russian interference in our elections, and he has never referred to the notion of collusion as a ‘hoax,’” Grassley’s spokesman, Taylor Foy, emailed Yahoo News. Grassley is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and together with ranking minority member Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has been briefed on details of the FBI investigation into Russian meddling in last year’s presidential election.

Foy’s statement seemed to directly contradict Spicer’s remarks earlier Friday, raising new questions about the credibility of White House accounts of the firing of FBI Director James Comey. “I think the president’s comments about Russia and collusion have been very clear with respect to some of the charges that have been made,” Spicer said. “He’s been very clear that he believes that the notion there’s collusion is a hoax. It’s been reaffirmed by several people, including Sen. Grassley and others who have spoke to him.” ...

In his second emailed statement late Friday, Foy went on to say: “In fact, just today, he [Grassley] and Senator Feinstein, the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, called on the Justice Department and the FBI to brief the full committee on the investigation into Russian interference. The bipartisan request is intended to ensure that all Judiciary Committee senators, both Republicans and Democrats, have a better understanding of what went on and where the investigation stands.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhLWkQ331og
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 14, 2017 10:59 am

Talking Points Memo
Graham Says Trump Should Turn Over Any Audio: 'You Can't Be Cute About Tapes'

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) on Sunday joined Democrats in calling for President Donald Trump to turn over any recordings he made of conversations with fired FBI Director James Comey.

“If there are any tapes, they have to be turned over. You can’t be cute about tapes,” Graham said on NBC News’ “Meet the Press.” “I doubt if there are, but we need to clear the air.” He said he wants Comey to come before the Senate Judiciary Committee to discuss conversations he had with Trump before his abrupt termination.

Graham said he does not believe Trump “is a target” of a probe into possible connections between his associates and Russian officials, and said Trump should “let the investigation go forward” — and lay off the tweeting.

“I would advise the President not to tweet about the investigation going forward,” Graham said. “He needs to back off here.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm

CNN
Schumer: No new FBI director without a special counsel on Russia

Washington (CNN)Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Sunday that the Senate should refuse to confirm a new FBI director until the Department of Justice appoints a special counsel to lead a probe into allegations of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

"I think there are a lot of Democrats who feel that way," Schumer said on CNN's "State of the Union." "We'll have to discuss it as a caucus, but I would support that move."

Virginia Sen. Mark Warner, the top Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee, proposed the idea after President Donald Trump fired FBI Director James Comey last week.
¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Addie wrote:CNN
Schumer: No new FBI director without a special counsel on Russia
:snippity: .
I guess that's the point Teh Donald forgot to consider properly when he heated himself up in rage to fire Comey (I see in my mind how Teh Donald copies Alex Jones who works himself up in front of the mic). No replacement in the queue before kicking Comey out. So now the list of possible candidates will be rather limited, and each candidate will imediately be scrutinized and torn up in the press. No quiet probing for a candidate and then presenting the new director in the shiny bigly lights. And Teh Donald likely ignored that closing the deal in this case includes getting the opinion of Congress / Senate.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun May 14, 2017 7:34 pm

RTH10260 wrote:I guess that's the point Teh Donald forgot to consider properly when he heated himself up in rage to fire Comey (I see in my mind how Teh Donald copies Alex Jones who works himself up in front of the mic). No replacement in the queue before kicking Comey out. So now the list of possible candidates will be rather limited, and each candidate will imediately be scrutinized and torn up in the press. No quiet probing for a candidate and then presenting the new director in the shiny bigly lights. And Teh Donald likely ignored that closing the deal in this case includes getting the opinion of Congress / Senate.
Look at all those prosecutors he fired. Have any of them been replaced?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Kendra wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:I guess that's the point Teh Donald forgot to consider properly when he heated himself up in rage to fire Comey (I see in my mind how Teh Donald copies Alex Jones who works himself up in front of the mic). No replacement in the queue before kicking Comey out. So now the list of possible candidates will be rather limited, and each candidate will imediately be scrutinized and torn up in the press. No quiet probing for a candidate and then presenting the new director in the shiny bigly lights. And Teh Donald likely ignored that closing the deal in this case includes getting the opinion of Congress / Senate.
Look at all those prosecutors he fired. Have any of them been replaced?
He's running a slimey government, no need to replace those superfluous staffers.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 pm

BuzzFeed
Trump Revealed Highly Classified Information To Russians During White House Visit

President Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian officials during a meeting last week at the White House, two US officials confirmed Monday to BuzzFeed News.

The meeting included Russia's ambassador, Sergei Kislyak, and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. The disclosures were first reported by the Washington Post, which cited current and former US officials who said the information was considered so sensitive that some details had been withheld from American allies and was restricted within the US government.

Two US officials who were briefed on Trump’s disclosures last week confirmed to BuzzFeed News the veracity of the Washington Post report, with one noting that “it’s far worse than what has already been reported.”

At least one member of the Senate Intelligence Committee was also briefed on Trump’s disclosures, an intelligence committee staffer said. Sen. Mark Warner, the ranking Democrat on the committee, was not briefed, according to his office. Other members of the committee also said they did not receive a briefing.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 pm

White House defends Trump on classified intel report

The White House on Monday evening pushed back sharply on reports that President Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian officials during a meeting last week.

Speaking to the press outside the White House Monday evening, national security advisor H.R. McMaster said: "The story that came out tonight, as reported, is false."

The president and the foreign minister reviewed a range of common threats to our two countries, including threats to civil aviation. At no time -- at no time were intelligence sources or methods discussed. And the president did not disclose any military operations that were not already publicly known. Two other senior officials who were present, including the secretary of State, remember the meeting the same way and have said so.

Their on-the-record accounts should outweigh those of anonymous sources. I was in the room, it didn’t happen,” he said.
In statements, McMaster two other senior Trump officials sought to characterize the disclosures as benign and pertaining only to “common threats.” <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... tel-report
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Trump has proven he can't be trusted. It's time to cut him off. Is it conceivable they would stop giving Trump sensitive information?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 am

Politico
Pompeo to brief House Intelligence Committee Tuesday

CIA Director Mike Pompeo will brief House Intelligence Committee members Tuesday night, according to two sources familiar with the meeting. Pompeo is expected to address reports that President Donald Trump shared highly classified information with Russian officials during a White House meeting last week.

One source said the meeting was previously scheduled, though lawmakers are expected to grill Pompeo about the latest revelations.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 16, 2017 11:58 am

The Hill
Acting FBI head calls Russia probe 'highly significant'

Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe on Thursday said the investigation of Russia’s attempts to meddle in the presidential election is “highly significant,” despite claims by the White House that it is one of the "smallest things" happening at the bureau.

“Sir, we consider it to be a highly significant investigation,” McCabe told Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) when asked about the White House’s comments on the investigation.

McCabe, who had been serving as Comey's deputy until his firing, said he would not consider the investigation to be one of the smallest things the bureau is working on at this time.

McCabe’s comments come one day after White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that the Russia probe is one of “the smallest things” the FBI has “going on their plate.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 pm

CNN
Senate intel wants brief from White House officials in Trump's Russia meeting

(CNN)The Senate intelligence committee wants to be briefed by White House officials who were in the room when President Donald Trump met with Russian officials and apparently disclosed classified information.

Committee chairman Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina and Virginia Sen. Mark Warner, the top Democrat on the committee, said at a joint news conference Tuesday they were seeking a briefing from the White House on what was said last week between Trump and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak.

"Once Mark and I have an opportunity to talk individuals that were in the meeting, that will either confirm our confidence or possibly shake our confidence," Burr said.

Warner added that if transcripts of the meeting exist, the committee would be seeking those, too.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am

Bloomberg
Trump Faces Deepest Crisis of Presidency as Comey Memo Lands ...

Congressional Republicans have largely backed Trump through the rocky initial months of his administration, but the events of the past week -- Comey’s firing, the report that Trump disclosed classified information to Russian officials, and Comey’s memo -- are testing the party’s patience.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a Bloomberg Television interview on Tuesday that Republicans desire “less drama” from the White House. Several Republicans said Tuesday after the memo surfaced that Comey should testify to Congress. AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for House Speaker Paul Ryan, said the Wisconsin Republican backed Chaffetz’s demand for documents.

“If true, these memoranda raise questions as to whether the president attempted to influence or impede the FBI’s investigation as it relates to Lt. Gen. Flynn,” Chaffetz wrote.

Democrats were far less sparing in their criticism.

Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, a member of the Judiciary Committee, called the memo as reported “powerful evidence of obstruction of justice.” ...

“At best, President Trump has committed a grave abuse of executive power,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California said in a statement. "At worst, he has obstructed justice."

Second-ranking Senate Democrat Dick Durbin told reporters, "Each day as this unfolds, this pattern of obstruction of justice grows." The Illinois senator said he wants to see Comey’s memos and hear his testimony in public.
¡Qué vergüenza!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 pm

This looks like as good a place as any:
House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

:snippity:

Some of the lawmakers laughed at McCarthy’s comment. Then McCarthy quickly added: “Swear to God.”

Ryan instructed his Republican lieutenants to keep the conversation private, saying: “No leaks...This is how we know we’re a real family here.”
More at the link https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 578af12bd2

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:59 pm

SLQ wrote:This looks like as good a place as any:
House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

:snippity:

Some of the lawmakers laughed at McCarthy’s comment. Then McCarthy quickly added: “Swear to God.”

Ryan instructed his Republican lieutenants to keep the conversation private, saying: “No leaks...This is how we know we’re a real family here.”
More at the link https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 578af12bd2
From the link...
The conversation provides a glimpse at the internal views of GOP leaders who now find themselves under mounting pressure over the conduct of President Trump. The exchange shows that the Republican leadership in the House privately discussed Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election and Trump’s relationship to Putin, but wanted to keep their concerns secret. It is difficult to tell from the recording the extent to which the remarks were meant to be taken literally.
Could this be the recording Mensch may have been referring to? I know she's a nut case, but I would LOVE to see Ryan go down for his complacency in this Trump/Russian fluster cluck. :pray:

viewtopic.php?p=880679#p880679http://th ... 79#p880679
Birfers are toast

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 pm

CNN
Surprise, relief dominate Capitol Hill after special counsel named for Russia investigation

(CNN) Some Republicans joined Democrats in breathing a sigh of relief Wednesday at news that deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had appointed a special counsel to lead the investigation into whether Trump's campaign had any ties to Russia.

While many members said they were caught off-guard, a bipartisan array of lawmakers applauded the selection of former FBI Director Robert Mueller to lead the investigation. ...

A senior GOP leadership aide told reporters Wednesday that Rosenstein will brief all House members Friday in a classified meeting. Rosenstein was already scheduled to speak to all senators on Thursday afternoon for a similar briefing.
In initial conversations with top congressional sources, there was a relief about the decision--at least in the short term-- as sources believed the announcement would take the pressure off Republicans to create a 9/11 type commission or even a select committee.

Schumer joined other Democrats in expressing confidence that Mueller was "exactly the right kind of individual for this job."

"I now have significantly greater confidence that the investigation will follow the facts wherever they lead," Schumer continued in his statement.
¡Qué vergüenza!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Could this be the recording Mensch may have been referring to? I know she's a nut case, but I would LOVE to see Ryan go down for his complacency in this Trump/Russian fluster cluck. :pray:
Ms. Daisy, I was wondering the same thing, but hadn't followed the Mensch thread enough to remember what she said.'

Edit: Here's what Mensch said about Ryan, which is not quite what was said in the Ryan/McCarthy recording:
On Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, normally third in the line of succession, I can report as fact that sources say that Ryan has been legally intercepted, and is on tape, admitting that he knew Russian money was being laundered into the Republican party. Without co-operation pending resignation Ryan may find himself swept up into a RICO prosecution involving the apparatus of the Republican party who accepted laundered Russian money.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

I can't find it now, but one some thread hereFound it! Here's a link to the transcript of the McCarthy/Ryan tape that WaPo listened to:
Transcript of Tape.
Having read it, I have to say that their second explanation (a lame attempt at humor) is probably true.

Typical Republicans though, when the story first dropped, both McCarthy's and Ryan's offices denied the conversation ever took place...UNTIL they were told WaPo had the tape and they realized they couldn't get away with that. :madguy:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm

A joke? Not buying it. No friggin' way.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Return to “Congress”