Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Addie

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post #451 by Addie » Wed May 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Bloomberg

Republicans Close Ranks Behind Trump Amid Democrats' Comey Fury

Senior Senate Republicans closed ranks behind President Donald Trump Wednesday after his dismissal of FBI Director James Comey, rejecting calls for a special prosecutor to investigate Russia’s meddling in the election and possible collusion with Trump’s campaign. ...

Democrats met privately to plot their response. In his floor speech, Schumer said they will insist that a special prosecutor be appointed by a career Justice Department official rather than Rosenstein, that Comey must testify before senators, and that Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions undergo questioning from senators in separate private briefings.

The minority leader said Democrats will pursue "several things" in coming days. They began slowing down the Senate’s operations Wednesday, refusing to allow committee meetings to run longer than two hours. A spokesman for Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, the Democratic whip, said the repeated objections were on purpose.

"Today is not a business-as-usual day with a constitutional crisis on our hands," said Ben Marter, Durbin’s spokesman.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #452 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Lani wrote:
Claude Taylor @TrueFactsStated

Comey is still going to testify. In closed session. No holds barred. You may have heard me say this. Comey. Is. A. White Hat.
3:08 PM · May 9, 2017

This guy reported the grand jury subpoenas a week ago, so I suspect he's accurate about this as well.

This guy has been 2-3 weeks ahead of MSM. CNN's breaking news about the subpoenas Claude tweeted at least last week and he mentioned the rocket docket in the Eastern District of Virginia. I watched in real time as he and Louise Mensch tracked that down with the name of the cases. He has also tweeted there are at least 2 cases maybe 3. One in NY and 2 in the ED of VA. One is a money laundering case, one a FARA (Foreign Agent Registration Act) and the other has not been determined. Between 28 to 42 folks will be subpoenaed and possibly indicted.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #453 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 pm

[quote="Addie"]Bloomberg

Republicans Close Ranks Behind Trump Amid Democrats' Comey Fury

They are scared of what the Russians might have on THEM which has not been released. Louise Mensch has tweeted that Trump is on tape. Ryan is on tape. There is evidence Pence is involved. McConnell has assisted in slowing everything.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Addie

Post #454 by Addie » Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm

NPR

Senate Intelligence Panel Subpoenas Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn

The Senate Intelligence Committee issued a subpoena for President Trump's former national security adviser Gen. Michael Flynn.

In a joint announcement, Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., vice chairman of the panel, said. "The subpoena requests documents relevant to the Committee's investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 elections."

The senators said the documents are the same as those first requested from Flynn on April 28. But through his legal counsel, Flynn declined to cooperate with the committee's request.

Politico reports that Flynn's attorneys told the committee that the former general would not cooperate with the investigation unless he was granted immunity. ...

Flynn's contacts with the Russian government are also being examined by the FBI's investigation of possible links between Trump campaign officials and Russian meddling in the elections. The status of that probe is unclear in the wake of Trump's firing of FBI chief James Comey on Tuesday.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #455 by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 9:33 am

Reuters

Comey infuriated Trump with refusal to preview Senate testimony: aides

The anger behind Donald Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday had been building for months, but a turning point came when Comey refused to preview for top Trump aides his planned testimony to a Senate panel, White House officials said.

Trump, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had wanted a heads-up from Comey about what he would say at a May 3 hearing about his handling of an investigation into former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

When Comey refused, Trump and his aides considered that an act of insubordination and it was one of the catalysts to Trump’s decision this week to fire the FBI director, the officials said.

"It gave the impression that he was no longer capable of carrying out his duties," one official said. Previews of congressional testimony to superiors are generally considered courteous.

Comey, who testified for four hours before the Senate Judiciary Committee, said it made him feel "mildly nauseous" that his decision to make public his reopening of a probe into Clinton's handling of classified information might have affected the outcome of the Nov. 8 presidential election. But he said he had no regrets and would make the same decision again.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #456 by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 10:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMz0zXybENo

Andrew G. McCabe, who was named acting F.B.I. director upon the firing of James B. Comey, is appearing before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post #457 by RVInit » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks, Addie. Listening to it now.

McCabe was asked if Comey's firing has made any impact on the FBI ability to continue the investigations. Well, Trump hasn't yet put his man in charge of the FBI, so of course not...yet. I think Democrats need to impede and obstruct any attempt for Trump to name a new FBI Director. McCabe said he would inform Congress about any attempts by the administration to impede the investigations.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Kendra

Post #458 by Kendra » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks for the updates. The boss is back in (big Trump fan), so best not attempt to listen whilst I'm working. Dang.

Addie

Post #459 by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Cotton really grates on my last nerve.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post #460 by Kendra » Thu May 11, 2017 12:15 pm

http://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/trump-f ... ames-comey

Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe rejected the White House criticism that rank-and-file agents had lost faith in the bureau's former leader, James B. Comey.

When Mr. Trump fired Comey on Tuesday, White House officials said that Mr. Comey had lost the confidence of agents.

"That is not accurate," Mr. McCabe testified, adding that serving with Mr. Comey had been the
"greatest privilege and honor of my professional life."

"Director Comey enjoyed broad support within the FBI and still does to this day," Mr. McCabe said. "I can confidently tell you that the vast majority of FBI employees enjoyed a deep and positive connection to Director Comey."

Mr. McCabe testified he will report to Congress if there is any effort to interfere in the bureau's investigation of Russia's meddling in the election or potential collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) is upping the pressure on Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, whose letter has been used by White House officials to justify the president’s decision to fire FBI Director James Comey.

Mr. Schumer said on the Senate floor Thursday that he would soon be sending Mr. Rosenstein a letter with a list of questions the lawmaker said he wanted answered publicly.

Mr. Rosenstein won the backing of most Senate Democrats when he was confirmed to his position late last month in an overwhelming 94-6 vote.

Mr. Schumer said Thursday that Democrats voted for Mr. Rosenstein “because he had a reputation for integrity” and assured them that he would act independently at the Justice Department.

“The events of the last week have made many of us question that belief,” Mr. Schumer said.

Mr. Rosenstein, a longtime federal prosecutor who has worked for both Republicans and Democrats, said in a letter recommending Mr. Comey’s dismissal that the FBI director shouldn’t have spoken publicly last summer after closing an investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server. He also criticized Mr. Comey’s decision to announce, days before the November election, that the investigation had reopened.

Addie

Post #461 by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Politico

Rosenstein seeks meeting with Senate Intelligence leaders

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has requested to meet with the Senate Intelligence Committee, including committee chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and vice-chairman Mark Warner (D-Va.), sources told POLITICO.

Rosenstein was seen walking into the Senate Intelligence Committee space as the panel was holding a hearing on worldwide threats.

The request came after President Donald Trump unceremoniously fired FBI Director James Comey, citing a three-page letter from Rosenstein questioning the director’s fitness to serve. It also came amid reports that Rosenstein, a well-regarded federal prosecutor, was furious over the White House’s characterization of his apparent recommendation and even threatened to quit.

It’s unclear whether Rosenstein made the request to the committee unilaterally, or took his request through official channels at the Department of Justice. He arrived with a security detail.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post #462 by RVInit » Thu May 11, 2017 12:47 pm

:shock: Interesting.

In general I agreed with the statements he made regarding Comey's public announcement after the initial closing of the Clinton email investigation. But I seriously doubted that Trump fired Comey for the reasons stated in Rosenstein's letter.

I'm guessing this will be a private meeting and no statement will be made after the fact. Unless Republicans can figure out a way to turn it into an opportunity for more sycophantic statements of support for Trump.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post #463 by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 1:05 pm

This is going around DU. I can't verify. No TV.

CNN just reported that Mark Warner & Richard Burr having a meeting with Rod Rosenstein NOW

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #464 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 am

Business Insider

Top Democratic senator: I've read Rod Rosenstein's memo on Comey 3 times, and each time it gets worse

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California on Thursday cast suspicion on the memo written by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein that recommended the firing of James Comey as FBI director, saying in a statement she had grown more "troubled" by its contents after reading it three times.

"The memo appears to have been hastily assembled to justify a preordained outcome," Feinstein said, adding that it read more like a "political document" than "meaningful analysis."

"Given Rosenstein's legal expertise and 27-year Justice Department career, I would have expected him to produce a detailed and comprehensive rationale for Director Comey's firing, including input from the agents and staff who worked with Director Comey," she continued.

Feinstein, who is the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, also said the memo cited months-old quotes from op-ed articles and media appearances and no current insights from within the FBI.

Feinstein's statement also called for Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions to recuse themselves from the "appointment, selection, and reporting of" a special counsel to investigate contacts between associates of President Donald Trump and Russia.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #465 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 8:30 am

CNN

Top Dem: Trump did interfere with Russia probe

(CNN)Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe said President Donald Trump hasn't made any effort to impede the investigation into possible ties between his campaign and Russia -- but a top House Democrat disagrees.

"I don't think you can say so categorically he's made no effort to interfere," Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said in an interview with CNN's "Erin Burnett Outfront" Thursday night.

"I think that the firing was all about the Russia investigation," he continued. "So I'm certain that what Mr. McCabe said may be true in the sense that the President isn't calling line agents who are working on the investigation or, in other very ham-handed ways, trying to interfere with the day-to-day operation of the investigation."

"But nonetheless, he fired the top cop on that investigation, and I think no one believes this was about Hillary Clinton's emails, I think it was all about the Russia case," Schiff said.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #466 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Politico

Democrats seek new probe on whether Trump meddled with FBI

Four Senate Democrats on Friday asked the Department of Justice's inspector general to open a new probe into any "political interference with the FBI’s investigation into" possible collaboration between President Donald Trump's campaign and Russian officials to upend the 2016 election.

Sens. Gary Peters (D-Mich.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Tom Carper (D-Del.) and Maggie Hassan (D-Del.) specifically asked the watchdog to look into "the provision of resources for the investigation, including efforts by the President and Attorney General to allocate resources based on unsubstantiated claims of wiretapping." ...

Attorney General Jeff "Sessions is himself recused from the Russia investigation, in part because he provided false testimony in his Senate confirmation hearing regarding his own communications with Russian officials," the Democrats wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO. "Mr. Sessions’ participation in this matter appears wholly inappropriate and raises further concerns of possible political interference."

The Democrats also asked the IG to address whether White House or Department of Justice decisions "fell outside regular protocol or constituted political inference in an ongoing investigation, including whether or not Mr. Comey informed the President 'on three separate occasions' that he was not under investigation." ...

The Democratic senators are seeking a fresh probe focused specifically on alleged meddling in the FBI's work by Trump and Sessions. The Democrats tailored their request to spending and resource allocation by the FBI, given their jurisdiction as members of the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #467 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Talking Points Memo

Grassley: Senate Wants 'Independence From The President' In FBI Dir. Nominee

The Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will evaluate the President Donald Trump’s nominee for FBI director, said Thursday that he expected Trump would not nominate anyone to lead the bureau who had a connection to his campaign or presidential transition.

In an appearance on CSPAN’s “Newsmakers,” Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) was asked by Roll Call’s Niels Lesniewski if he would be concerned if Trump’s nominee to take over from Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe “was someone who may have to recuse themselves from the Russia investigation because they were advising Trump on the campaign or were somehow otherwise involved in the transition?”

“I think the President and the people close to the President don’t want to emphasize that anymore. They’re going to get somebody entirely away from that, as far as I can tell,” Grassley said. He noted that he would withhold judgment on any potential nominees until he got further indication from the White House. Trump abruptly fired FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday.

Grassley said earlier in the interview that both Democrats and Republicans would ask of the nominee, “how are they going to handle this investigation?” referring to the investigation, confirmed by Comey under oath, of possible coordination between Trump’s 2016 campaign and Russia.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #468 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Politico

Schiff demands Trump turn over Comey 'tapes'

The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee said Friday that if President Donald Trump has tapes of his conversations with ousted FBI Director James Comey, he should turn them over to Congress.

The statement Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) came after Trump tweeted that “James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” The tweet followed a New York Times story in which sources close to Comey said Trump had asked him over dinner to pledge loyalty to the president and that Comey declined.

“If the President has ‘tapes’ of his conversations with Director Comey, it is because the president himself made them,” Schiff said in a statement. "For a President who baselessly accused his predecessor of illegally wiretapping him, that Mr. Trump would suggest that he, himself, may have engaged in such conduct is staggering.

“The president should immediately provide any such recordings to Congress or admit, once again, to have made a deliberately misleading — and in this case threatening — statement,” Schiff added.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #469 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Talking Points Memo

Top Senate Intel Dem: Comey Won’t Appear Before Committee Next Week

Fired FBI Director James Comey turned down an invitation to be interviewed by the Senate Intelligence Committee next week, according to that panel’s leading Democrat.

Asked on MSNBC Friday afternoon if he believed it was “critical” to speak to Comey, Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) affirmed that it was, but said “he won’t be testifying on Tuesday” as he was invited to do.

“I have enormous respect for Jim Comey and I believe at the appropriate time and place, he will tell his side of the story,” Warner continued. “And my hope is that will be in front of our committee.” ...

The FBI and House and Senate Intelligence Committees are all conducting investigations into Russia’s interference in the U.S. presidential election, including possible collusion between Russian operatives and Trump campaign officials.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #470 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Associated Press

Intel chair says 3 Trump associates cooperating

The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee says three associates of President Donald Trump have responded to requests for information and documents related to the panel's investigation into Russia's election meddling.

North Carolina Republican Richard Burr notes, however, that former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn hasn't yet responded to a subpoena demanding documents. It was just issued Wednesday.

Burr said Friday in Raleigh, North Carolina, that "we're trying to assess the value of the responses" from the other three.

The Associated Press has reported that letters seeking information about contacts between people affiliated with the Trump campaign and Russian officials or representatives have been sent to former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, longtime Trump associate Roger Stone and former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post #471 by Chilidog » Fri May 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Addie wrote:Talking Points Memo

Top Senate Intel Dem: Comey Won’t Appear Before Committee Next Week

Fired FBI Director James Comey turned down an invitation to be interviewed by the Senate Intelligence Committee next week, according to that panel’s leading Democrat.

Asked on MSNBC Friday afternoon if he believed it was “critical” to speak to Comey, Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) affirmed that it was, but said “he won’t be testifying on Tuesday” as he was invited to do.

“I have enormous respect for Jim Comey and I believe at the appropriate time and place, he will tell his side of the story,” Warner continued. “And my hope is that will be in front of our committee.” ...

The FBI and House and Senate Intelligence Committees are all conducting investigations into Russia’s interference in the U.S. presidential election, including possible collusion between Russian operatives and Trump campaign officials.

So Comey is waiting for the subpoena?

Addie

Post #472 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 pm

The Hill

Treasury to share financial info on Trump and Russia for Senate probe: reports

The Treasury Department’s financial crimes unit will share information requested by the Senate Intelligence Committee as part of its investigation into potential ties between President Trump’s campaign and Russia, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

The Senate panel requested the records from the Treasury unit, known as FinCEN, late last month, sources told the newspaper. The sources didn't specify the nature of the records, but one source described the records as critical for the panel reaching a conclusion on whether there was any coordination between Trump associates and Russia during the campaign.

The move comes days after Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) delayed Trump’s pick for a key Treasury post in an attempt to obtain those documents from the Treasury Department.

"I have stated repeatedly that we have to follow the money if we are going to get to the bottom of how Russia has attacked our democracy. That means thoroughly review any information that relates to financial connections between Russia and President Trump and his associates," Wyden said in a statement.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #473 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 7:39 pm

I suspect so, a bipartisan subpoena. I can't blame him.

Chilidog wrote:So Comey is waiting for the subpoena?

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #474 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 8:57 pm

ABC News

Sen. Durbin says President Trump 'may be obstructing justice'

Sen. Dick Durbin, the Senate's number two Democrat, said President Trump may be obstructing justice by firing FBI Director James Comey, who was leading the investigation into Russia's meddling in the U.S. election and Moscow's ties to Trump associates.

“President Trump is dangerous because he may be obstructing justice in terms of the investigation that goes to the heart of our democracy, the accountability of the president,” the Illinois senator said during an interview on MSNBC Friday.

While most Senate Democrats and some Republicans have criticized the timing and rationale for Comey’s firing, Durbin’s assertion that Trump may have been obstructing justice is notable because it would be an impeachable offense. President Richard Nixon resigned after the House Judiciary Committee approved three articles of impeachment against him, including one for obstruction of justice. President Bill Clinton was impeached by the House on two charges including obstructing justice; he was acquitted by the Senate.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #475 by Addie » Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 pm

CNN

Democratic Rep.: 'Very strong case' for obstruction of justice against Trump

Washington (CNN)Rep. Jerrold Nadler said in an interview Friday that President Donald Trump's dismissal of FBI Director James Comey and subsequent tweet that Comey "better hope" their conversations weren't taped add up to a "strong case" that Trump tried to obstruct justice.

The New York Democrat's comments come after news reports that Trump requested Comey pledge his loyalty to the President at a dinner shortly after Trump took office. Nadler's remarks also follow the President's comment in an interview with NBC's Lester Holt on Thursday that he considered the FBI's investigation of alleged collusion between Trump campaign aides and Russian officials in his decision to fire the FBI director.

"Asking for loyalty of the FBI, which is supposed to be independent -- especially when he just admitted he was thinking of firing Comey essentially because of the Russian investigation -- those two things combined make a very strong case for the President having committed an obstruction of justice and that's got to be investigated," Nadler said on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront." ...

Still, Nadler said on CNN that it's still "too early" to talk about impeachment as an avenue Democrats would pursue. ...

Like some lawmakers, including California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Nadler said he believes that if Trump did record conversations with Comey, which the President's tweet suggested he did, then those recordings would be government property.

Adding:

WaPo: Trump Has A Long History Of Secretly Recording Calls, According To Former Associates

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Congress”