Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Reality Check

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 08, 2017 5:36 pm

SLQ wrote:This f&*%$r from Louisiana, John Kennedy, is a complete a$$hole. Yates kept her cool, though, and gave him the obvious answer. No, of course she's not on the Supreme Court. But she has a duty to tell the truth and not advance frivolous arguments.
That guy is a complete idiot.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 08, 2017 5:37 pm

SLQ wrote:This f&*%$r from Louisiana, John Kennedy, is a complete a$$hole. Yates kept her cool, though, and gave him the obvious answer. No, of course she's not on the Supreme Court. But she has a duty to tell the truth and not advance frivolous arguments.
He brings it up again in round two of questions. :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

tek

Post by tek » Mon May 08, 2017 5:47 pm

having seen some of the hearing, all I can say is ...

Yates is a true professional.
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm

All that and more....but I'm fighting back the urge to shout at the television "Why doesn't anyone ask why the President of the United States is using the medium (and the maturity most of the time) of a teenage girl as his major means of communicating?

FFS, he has not offered any official congratulations to the newly elected President of France, he just sent a damn tweet! Twitter is for middle school kids you phucking idiot! The President's twitter account ought to be the responsibility of a well supervised intern, not the personal, daily nay, hourly obsessive atttention of the ACTUAL President of the United States.

I mean, really. Do you think the President of McDonalds twitter account is something the CEO of a hamburger chain spends hours a day on?

Let that sink in....
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm on my cell phone so I have to Lincoln run the tweet

https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%2Ft ... &cuid=2386

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... total-hoax
President Trump on Monday dismissed the testimony of two former Obama administration officials, saying “the Russia-Trump collusion story is a total hoax.”

Trump tweeted Monday evening that acting Attorney General Sally Yates’ testimony before a Senate Judiciary subcommittee was “old news” and referenced Director of National Intelligence James Clapper’s statement that there is “no evidence” of collusion between Trump’s presidential campaign and Russia.

“Sally Yates made the fake media extremely unhappy today --- she said nothing but old news!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

“Director Clapper reiterated what everybody, including the fake media already knows- there is "no evidence" of collusion w/ Russia and Trump,” he added.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 pm

tek wrote:having seen some of the hearing, all I can say is ...

Yates is a true professional.
Absolutely!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 08, 2017 9:58 pm

I think more folks are realizing that when the GOP screams that something is a hoax, it's 'cause it ain't.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 09, 2017 12:19 am

Full transcript: Sally Yates and James Clapper testify on Russian election interference

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... abc31d473a
Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account @BraddJaffy 1h1 hour ago
Bradd Jaffy Retweeted Yashar
Problem is—Clapper didn't say that; in fact he said he didn't even know about FBI Trump/Russia investigation till Comey revealed it publicly
Bradd Jaffy Verified account
@BraddJaffy
NBC News • Senior news editor and writer, NBC Nightly News. The more em dashes — the merrier.
Seth Abramson Retweeted
Seth Abramson‏ Verified account @SethAbramson 2h2 hours ago
Seth Abramson Retweeted Donald J. Trump
Clapper did NOT say this. He said Comey never briefed him. Trump is a pathological liar and should be removed from office under the 25th Am.
I recommend that you read the other tweets on his timeline
Seth Abramson Verified account
@SethAbramson
Attorney and former criminal investigator. Professor, @UofNH (Journalism, Writing). Prose @WashingtonPost, @DallasNews, @KCStar and https://tinyurl.com/zexzndy .
huffpost.com/seth-abramson
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am

Three takeaways from the Senate hearing with Sally Yates, James Clapper
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... s-james-c/

6 Takeaways From Monday’s Senate Hearing on Russia
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/us/p ... .html?_r=0
https://archive.is/wvo5E
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 am

https://www.propublica.org/article/come ... inaccurate
Comey’s Testimony on Huma Abedin Forwarding Emails Was Inaccurate
FBI director James Comey generated national headlines last week with his dramatic testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, explaining his “incredibly painful” decision to go public about the Hillary Clinton emails found on Anthony Weiner’s laptop.

Perhaps Comey’s most surprising revelation was that Huma Abedin — Weiner’s wife and a top Clinton deputy — had made “a regular practice” of forwarding “hundreds and thousands” of Clinton messages to her husband, “some of which contain classified information.” Comey testified that Abedin had done this so that the disgraced former congressman could print them out for her boss. (Weiner’s laptop was seized after he came under criminal investigation for sex crimes, following a media report about his online relationship with a teenager.)
:snippity:
The problem: Much of what Comey said about this was inaccurate. Now the FBI is trying to figure out what to do about it.

FBI officials have privately acknowledged that Comey misstated what Abedin did and what the FBI investigators found. On Monday, the FBI was said to be preparing to correct the record by sending a letter to Congress later this week. But that plan now appears on hold, with the bureau undecided about what to do.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 am

Comey makes me nauseous.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 am

At a minimum.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 am

In an alternative universe...

Howard Baker declared that he didn't care about some third rate burglary, what he wanted to know was "Who the hell was leaking all this stuff to Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. I mean, all these leaks, these disclosures of secret White House discussions, this was a crime, and dammit, we need to get to the bottom of how The Washington Post knows what Bob Haldeman and Chuck Colson were telling the President. Who was leaking what plans John Mitchell was making, plans that affect National Security, to reporters?"

Also last night, the body of White House Counsel John Dean was found in Rock Creek park, with four gunshot wounds to the head, an apparent suicide.

:bag:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 am

Feinstein.senate.gov
BACKGROUND / TIMELINE – Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am

Independent
Senior Republican senator 'wants to probe Trump's tax returns'

A leading Republican politician has said he would like to probe possible links between Donald Trump’s businesses and Russia and believed it would be “helpful” to obtain his tax returns.

Senator Lindsey Graham said he wanted to use a congressional committee he sits on to investigate the issue, after a former senior intelligence official had testified that he could not fully comment on the issue.

The South Carolina senator also reportedly said that getting hold of the president’s tax returns would be helpful to the effort, though he said it was too soon to talk about issuing a subpoena to the White House. ...

CNN said that Mr Graham had made the comment following testimony before the Senatoe Judiciary Committee from James Clapper, who served as director of national intelligence under Barack Obama.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Business Insider
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse: Something is preventing Trump from reaching 'obvious conclusions'

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, the ranking member of the Senate Crime & Terrorism Subcommittee, addressed the "peculiar behavior" behind President Donald Trump's "warm embrace" of former national security adviser Mike Flynn.

"[Flynn] lied to a lot more than the Vice President," said Whitehouse on MSNBC's "All in with Chris Hayes." "There's a very good chance he lied to the FBI during the interview ... that's a lot going on in the White House." ...

"It suggests that there is some sensitivity to Russia in this White House that prevents them from reaching obvious conclusions, like 'My national security advisor may be compromised, let's firewall the guy till we get to the bottom of this,'" said Whitehouse.

"I don't know if they're trying to send a signal to him, if they're afraid that he is cooperating or might be cooperating and they want to kind of calm him down," continued Whitehouse. "I don't know what that is all about. It doesn't make obvious sense."
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 pm

CNN
First on CNN: Senate Russia investigators ask Treasury for Trump team financial information

(CNN)Senate Russia investigators have sent a request to the Treasury Department's criminal investigation division for any information related to President Donald Trump, his top officials and his campaign aides, the top Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee told CNN Tuesday.

"We've made a request, to FinCEN in the Treasury Department, to make sure, not just for example vis-a-vis the President, but just overall our effort to try to follow the intel no matter where it leads," Sen. Mark Warner told CNN. "You get materials that show if there have been, what level of financial ties between, I mean some of the stuff, some of the Trump-related officials, Trump campaign-related officials and other officials and where those dollars flow -- not necessarily from Russia."

FinCEN is the federal agency that has been investigating allegations of foreign money-laundering through purchases of US real estate. ...

"Chairman Burr and I requested that information -- until we get it, I'm not going to support the administration's nominee for undersecretary of Treasury finance, for terrorism and finance, because they owe us these documents first," Warner said.
¡Qué vergüenza!

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue May 09, 2017 6:47 pm

I saw this today on the Facebook:
Sally Yates be like.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Little is scarier to a man in power than a woman who can't be rattled. They hate that.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Politico
Burr threatens subpoenas if Trump aides ignore his deadlines

Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr on Tuesday threatened to subpoena Trump campaign aides if they ignore deadlines to turn over records to his panel, explaining that he had received just two responses to an initial request for information.

“I think all options are on the table, and I think you can envision what those options are,” the North Carolina Republican told reporters. “The most severe would be subpoena.”

The Intelligence panel’s top Democrat, Mark Warner of Virginia, said it appeared that just one person was complying with Tuesday’s initial deadline to provide the committee with records of any meetings they had with Russian officials ahead of the presidential election. Neither Warner nor Burr would name the individual who is complying.

The other individual who has responded to the committee, former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser Carter Page, suggested in a letter last week he would not provide the requested records — leading to an angry joint statement from Warner and Burr. ...

“I think in some cases we have seen — in the case of Carter Page publicly — a complete reversal in his willingness,” Burr said. “You wait another day, and he may be back to voluntarily doing it. So I don't want to rush to judgment. I'd rather wait until we see firmly where people are.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 pm

The Hill
GOP Intelligence chairman troubled by Trump's firing of FBI director

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said Tuesday he is “troubled by the timing and reasoning” of President Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey.

“I have found Director Comey to be a public servant of the highest order, and his dismissal further confuses an already difficult investigation by the committee,” Burr said in a statement.

The chairman is leading a Senate investigation into Russia’s influence over the 2016 presidential election.

“In my interactions with the director and with the bureau under his leadership, he and the FBI have always been straightforward with our committee,” Burr said. “Director Comey has been more forthcoming with information than any FBI director I can recall in my tenure on the congressional intelligence committees.”

Burr’s statement, along with statements of concerns Tuesday evening by two other Republican chairmen, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), raises pressure on Republicans to endorse the appointment of a special prosecutor or the creation of an independent committee to examine Russia’s influence on domestic politics.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 pm

CNN
Grand jury subpoenas issued in FBI's Russia investigation

Washington (CNN)Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year's election, according to people familiar with the matter. CNN learned of the subpoenas hours before President Donald Trump fired FBI director James Comey.

The subpoenas represent the first sign of a significant escalation of activity in the FBI's broader investigation begun last July into possible ties between Trump campaign associates and Russia.

The subpoenas issued in recent weeks by the US Attorney's Office in Alexandria, Virginia, were received by associates who worked with Flynn on contracts after he was forced out as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2014, according to the people familiar with the investigation.

Robert Kelner, an attorney for Flynn, declined to comment. The US Attorney's Office in Alexandria, the Justice Department and the FBI also declined to comment.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 am

Frank Thorp V
(@frankthorp)
Reminder: Fired FBI Director Comey was scheduled to testify before Senate Intel on Thursday (h/t @MariannaNBCNews): pic.twitter.com/32l2llhtoQ

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 am

Claude Taylor @TrueFactsStated

Comey is still going to testify. In closed session. No holds barred. You may have heard me say this. Comey. Is. A. White Hat.
3:08 PM · May 9, 2017
This guy reported the grand jury subpoenas a week ago, so I suspect he's accurate about this as well.

Return to “Congress”