Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Addie

Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

Thread title has changed

----------------------------------

USA Today
Senate Intelligence Committee to review Russian hacking report sources

WASHINGTON — Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr said Tuesday that the panel will conduct an independent review of the intelligence community's report that charged the Russian government with interfering in the U.S. presidential election to try to help President-elect Donald Trump.

While emphasizing that he "has no reason to doubt the findings" contained in the report, the North Carolina Republican said "we owe it to our colleagues and the American people to do an independent review of the report and its conclusions." The report, released Friday, concluded that Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the hacking of Democratic emails during the election to try to undermine Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Burr said he will direct a small, select group of committee staff to analyze the report, including the classified sources that the FBI, CIA and National Security Agency used to form their conclusions. Those sources have not been publicly revealed because doing so would jeopardize their lives, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told the committee during a hearing Tuesday.

Clapper testified before the panel along with FBI Director James Comey, CIA Director John Brennan and Adm. Michael Rogers, the NSA's director. It was the first time they have testified before Congress since the report's release on Friday afternoon.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Re: Senate Intelligence Committee: Re 2016 Elections

Post by Flatpointhigh » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Addie wrote:USA Today
Senate Intelligence Committee to review Russian hacking report sources

WASHINGTON — Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr said Tuesday that the panel will conduct an independent review of the intelligence community's report that charged the Russian government with interfering in the U.S. presidential election to try to help President-elect Donald Trump.

While emphasizing that he "has no reason to doubt the findings" contained in the report, the North Carolina Republican said "we owe it to our colleagues and the American people to do an independent review of the report and its conclusions." The report, released Friday, concluded that Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the hacking of Democratic emails during the election to try to undermine Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Burr said he will direct a small, select group of committee staff to analyze the report, including the classified sources that the FBI, CIA and National Security Agency used to form their conclusions. Those sources have not been publicly revealed because doing so would jeopardize their lives, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told the committee during a hearing Tuesday.

Clapper testified before the panel along with FBI Director James Comey, CIA Director John Brennan and Adm. Michael Rogers, the NSA's director. It was the first time they have testified before Congress since the report's release on Friday afternoon.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Aww, jeez, flatpoint, I almost forgot. It's not just Trump. It's the whole middle-school, mean kid cohort back in power, where tit goes gunning for tat.

"Fuck you, four eyes. This is just so you remember that we don't give a shit about anything except watching you squirm, punk. Don't try anything sneaky if you ever want to see our spooks alive. Again."

Elite means the best of the best. It's a performance-based superlative and, except with athletes, carried a connotation of Ivy League sophistication and a certain amount of class. This is who Trump voters' anger has been knowingly directed at over the years by the mind set in power now: the elites who run the government but "have no idea what they're doing" because are you better off? No, and it's their fault. They don't consider Trump a member of the elite class, although he most certainly does. ;) He has no class and his sophistication is plated - a thin veneer.

Why has he dismissed the General in charge of the D.C. National Guard, effective at the moment he is being sworn in?
The U.S. Army general who heads the D.C. National Guard and is an integral part of overseeing the inauguration said Friday he has been ordered removed from command effective Jan. 20, 12:01 p.m., just as Donald Trump is sworn in as president.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... bbe8b5bfa6

What was that ridiculous RT 10 minute take-over of CSPAN and the MSNBC crap? Hackers?

A bizarre technical glitch interrupted The Washington Post’s David Ignatius during a Thursday appearance on MSNBC’s “Hardball” with Chris Matthews.

Ignatius was talking about President-elect Donald Trump’s cabinet nominees taking “a hard line on Russia,” when a glitch made Ignatius appear to say “Russia” several times in succession.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/12/hours ... sia-glitch

I don't feel so good about tings today. :?
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm

However they won't investigate collusion between Moscow and the Trump campaign. Because so what if the US president is actually a puppet of a foreign state?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/s ... ion-233572

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Isn't Senate and Intelligence Committee or much of anything else kind of an oxymoron now?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Is it on again? :think:

The Hill
Senate Intel Committee to probe Russian interference in election

The Senate Intelligence Committee announced Friday that it will be launching a bipartisan inquiry into Russian intelligence activities.

"As part of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence’s oversight responsibilities we believe that it is critical to have a full understanding of the scope of Russian intelligence activities impacting the United States," committee chair Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said in a joint statement with ranking member Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.)

"In the course of its regular work, the Committee conducts oversight of the Intelligence Community’s collection and analysis related to Russia; however, the October 7, 2016, joint statement on election security from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI), combined with the declassified Intelligence Community Assessment (ICA) of ‘Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections’ raise profound concerns.”

Burr said the committee will “conduct a bipartisan inquiry of the intelligence reporting” behind the intelligence Community’s report on Russian meddling in the election that was released last week.
¡Qué vergüenza!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:02 pm

I think they are saying they'll investigate the hacks, and Russia's role in hacking, but not investigate whether or not Trump or members of his campaign had anything to do with Moscow. So, Trump gets a free pass.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Yeah, that was yesterday's announcement. Today's seems different somehow. But maybe I'm imagining things. :dazed:
maydijo wrote:I think they are saying they'll investigate the hacks, and Russia's role in hacking, but not investigate whether or not Trump or members of his campaign had anything to do with Moscow. So, Trump gets a free pass.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Here we go:

Politico
Intelligence Committee will investigate possible Russia-Trump links

Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said late Friday that his committee would investigate possible contacts between Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia, reversing himself one day after telling reporters that the issue would be outside of his panel’s ongoing probe into Moscow’s election-disruption efforts.

Burr and the intelligence panel’s top Democrat, Virginia Sen. Mark Warner, said in a joint statement that the committee's probe would touch on "intelligence regarding links between Russia and individuals associated with political campaigns" as well as Russian cyberattacks and other election meddling outlined in an intelligence report released last week.

The committee will use “subpoenas if necessary” to secure testimony from Obama administration officials as well as Trump’s team, Burr and Warner said.

The bipartisan Senate announcement came hours after several House Democrats aired their frustrations with FBI Director James Comey following a classified briefing on Russian election disruption. The Democrats were livid that Comey declined to confirm whether he is conducting an inquiry into potential Trump ties to Russia, The Guardian reported — a question that he publicly declined to answer earlier this week.
¡Qué vergüenza!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Thank you Addie! I am so glad they've widened the investigation!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:11 am

Linking Timeline from spooks thread:

http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... e3#p851484
¡Qué vergüenza!

Suranis

Re: Senate Intelligence Committee: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Suranis » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:20 am

I'm reading on other sites that Comey said something in the last 15 minutes of the meeting with Democrats that sent the meeting into an uproar, and that think is what caused Burr to widen the investigation. Everyone is keeping mum about what he said, but apparently he was lucky to get out of there with his skin.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:33 am

Yeah, really, it seems to have been a donnybrook :boxing:
Suranis wrote:I'm reading on other sites that Comey said something in the last 15 minutes of the meeting with Democrats that sent the meeting into an uproar, and that think is what caused Burr to widen the investigation. Everyone is keeping mum about what he said, but apparently he was lucky to get out of there with his skin.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:40 am

maydijo wrote:Thank you Addie! I am so glad they've widened the investigation!
Here's how it will work. If it confirms what the Democrats believe, but the Republicans can't use it, it'll be binned. If, on the other hand, the Republicans need a little somethin' for an impeachment, well, here it is.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:17 am

I know that this is far fetched and totally off the wall,

But Comey keeps reminding me of the Kim Philby scandal

Not that there is anything similar between the two men, but I wonder if a few key FBI personnel havnr been compromised.

Perhaps an indirect connection through organized crime.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:49 am

Director of National Intelligence report: Background to “Assessing Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections”: The Analytic Process and Cyber Incident Attribution (Pdf)
¡Qué vergüenza!

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:24 am

maydijo wrote:However they won't investigate collusion between Moscow and the Trump campaign. Because so what if the US president is actually a puppet of a foreign state?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/s ... ion-233572

I had the ones below made into 2' by 3' banners to carry with my like minded friends in the Ann Arbor Women's March on the 21st.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:09 am

I'm Your (Putin's) Puppet
Sing it - James and Bobby Purify!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKhLNY5GYI

An Earworm for a Saturday
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 am

Congressional Republicans have Trump right where they want him. He will toe the line and sign off on their agenda or they will be able to impeach him. I am working on my personal belief that he is compromised, that people in his campaign had direct knowledge of Putin's campaign to discredit HRC and help Trump win the White House.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:05 pm

RVInit wrote:Congressional Republicans have Trump right where they want him. He will toe the line and sign off on their agenda or they will be able to impeach him. I am working on my personal belief that he is compromised, that people in his campaign had direct knowledge of Putin's campaign to discredit HRC and help Trump win the White House.
His kids, for sure.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Suranis wrote:I'm reading on other sites that Comey said something in the last 15 minutes of the meeting with Democrats that sent the meeting into an uproar, and that think is what caused Burr to widen the investigation. Everyone is keeping mum about what he said, but apparently he was lucky to get out of there with his skin.
Yep.
Democrats Confront F.B.I. Chief at Closed-Door Intelligence Briefing
WASHINGTON ― Congressional Democrats raged against FBI Director James Comey on Friday after he and other intelligence agency chiefs provided legislators with a classified briefing on Russia’s involvement in last year’s presidential election.

Rep. Tim Walz (D-Minn.) told The Hill that he lost confidence in Comey, citing the last 15 minutes of the briefing as a tipping point but providing no details on what the FBI head or other intelligence officials said.

“I’m disappointed, outraged — many of us are right now,” Walz told The Hill immediately following the briefing.
:snippity:

“What I heard in the briefing made me not trust him, that’s all,” Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.) told reporters.
More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dem ... 81d0eab299
Birfers are toast

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:44 pm

X posted from another thread. The guardian claims to have what was said in that meeting. Reading it I don't think simply dodging a question would have generated that furious reaction, but maybe I'm misreading it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... y-congress
Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat who had pressed Comey during a September hearing about his criteria for acknowledging an investigation, sharply asked Comey if the director was applying a double standard to Trump.

Comey had said in September testimony that his standard was a “a need for public to be reassured, [and] w11hen it’s obvious, it’s apparent, given our activities, public activities that the investigation is ongoing”.

Nadler, according to a different source, then asked Comey in the Friday meeting: “Do you believe that standard has been met with reference to the possible investigation of the Trump campaign’s possible connections to the Russian government? And if not, why not?”

Comey dodged the question, sparking anger among attendees.

A spokesman for Nadler confirmed the congressman pressed Comey on the issue.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm xposting my answer from the other thread here since Suranis put the comment/question in both threads (hope this is ok, I'm still quite new!):

My guess is that the anger is less because of dodging this particular question than it is at how dodging the question semi-answers it. As in, dodging it showcases how very differently Comey & the FBI treated Hillary's email issue during the campaign (& especially during the last week) vs how they treated the Trump information, which various FBI offices have had since IIRC at least July (the Rome office, I think).

I suspect the dodge showed/proved to the Democrats that Comey & the FBI had indeed ignored really important, incredibly damaging information on Trump (no investigation, no comments on it, nothing) yet kept the email issue alive despite the fact that by the last week of the campaign it was well known there was no there there.

Addie

Congressional Briefings & Hearings: (Re Mike Flynn Investigations)

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:03 am

Thread title changed

---------------------------------

The Hill
Committee Dems call for classified briefing on Flynn

Reps. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) and Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) – the ranking members of the Judiciary and Oversight committees, respectively – called for a classified briefing for Congress regarding former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn after his abrupt resignation Monday night.

“We were shocked and dismayed to learn this evening of reports that three weeks ago, U.S. law enforcement officials warned the White House Counsel that General Flynn had provided false information to the public about his communications with the Russian government, but that the Trump Administration apparently did nothing about it,” the two said in a statement.

“The reality is General Flynn was unfit to be the National Security Advisor, and should have been dismissed three weeks ago.

“Now, we in Congress need to know who authorized his actions, permitted them, and continued to let him have access to our most sensitive national security information despite knowing these risks. We need to know who else within the White House is a current and ongoing risk to our national security,” the statement continued. ...

The committee Democrats charged late Monday that Republicans were turning “a blind eye to their constitutional duty to conduct oversight on these issues.”

But, they said, “Democrats believe that this new disclosure warrants a full classified briefing by all relevant agencies, including the Department of Justice and the FBI, as soon as possible and certainly before Thursday, February 16. We are communicating this request to the Department of Justice and FBI this evening.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Re: Congressional Briefings & Hearings: (Re Mike Flynn)

Post by Chilidog » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:15 am

I find it highly amusing that the Trumpanzees defense of Trump in this scandal is essentially that Trump is a bungling idiot.

Return to “Congress”