Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 25609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#51

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 am

DoomSeers vindicated!


... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 6121
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#52

Post by RVInit » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:43 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 am
DoomSeers vindicated!
Eggsactly.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#53

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am

The Hill
Dem lawmaker says he will force House vote on impeachment Wednesday

Rep. Al Green (D-Texas) said Tuesday he will bring articles of impeachment to the floor of the Congress on Wednesday for a vote.

Speaking on the House floor, Green said three prominent Democrats have asked to meet with him to discuss the impeachment of President Trump.

"I will meet with them in my office and here's what I will say: I will tell them that impeachment is not about Democrats," Green said. "That it's not about Republicans. I will them that it's about democracy."

Green said impeachment is about government "of the people, by the people, for the people."


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#54

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm

The Hill
House rejects Democrat's resolution to impeach Trump

The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly rejected an effort by Rep. Al Green (D-Texas) to impeach President Trump.

The vote to table the resolution split Democrats, with many of them — including members of leadership — calling Green's move premature.

Green’s articles of impeachment do not allege Trump has specifically committed a crime. Instead, Green argues that Trump has “brought disrepute, contempt, ridicule and disgrace on the presidency” and “sown discord among the people of the United States.”

To back up Green’s assertion, the articles of impeachment cite Trump’s equivocating response to the violent clash between white supremacists and counter-protesters in Charlottesville, Va.; retweets of anti-Muslim videos posted by a fringe British nationalist group; criticisms of NFL players kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality; disparate treatment of hurricane victims in Puerto Rico compared to Texas and Florida; and personal attacks against Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.), who like Green is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

House Democratic leaders have made clear they don’t support impeachment at this point, citing the ongoing special counsel investigation of whether the Trump campaign was involved with the Russian government’s effort to influence the 2016 presidential election.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 6121
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#55

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm
The Hill
House rejects Democrat's resolution to impeach Trump

The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly rejected an effort by Rep. Al Green (D-Texas) to impeach President Trump.

The vote to table the resolution split Democrats, with many of them — including members of leadership — calling Green's move premature.
:snippity:
House Democratic leaders have made clear they don’t support impeachment at this point, citing the ongoing special counsel investigation of whether the Trump campaign was involved with the Russian government’s effort to influence the 2016 presidential election.
:lol: They haven't read the latest WaPo article, which won't even load for me right now because so many people are commenting on it right now.

It seems the specific quid pro quo is out of the bag, and has been known to Mueller for quite some time


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#56

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

BuzzFeed News
Nearly 60 Democrats Just Voted To Move Toward Impeaching President Donald Trump

Nearly 60 Democrats voted to advance a resolution to impeach President Donald Trump on Wednesday after Democratic Rep. Al Green forced a vote in the House on the issue.

The impeachment resolution fell far short of passing, but Wednesday’s vote gave 58 Democrats, many for the first time, the opportunity to publicly indicate their support for removing Trump from office. Four Democrats — Reps. Terri Sewell, Carol Shea-Porter, Joaquin Castro, and Marc Veasey — voted present.

Green has been actively pushing for Trump’s impeachment since May, worrying many Democrats, including House Democratic leadership, who took the unusual step of putting out a joint statement opposing their own member's resolution on Wednesday. Democrats have urged members to wait on Congress and special counsel Robert Mueller to finish their investigations before taking such a drastic step. ...

Green didn’t quite get his wish, however. At Republicans’ direction, the House instead voted on a “motion to table” his resolution — essentially killing it with the support of 364 members, including two-thirds of Democrats in the House. While that meant that Green ultimately didn’t get a straight up-or-down vote on impeachment, the vote forced members of both parties to go on the record about removing Trump from office.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#57

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:49 pm

WaPo - Greg Sargent
Democrats are preparing for impeachment. Good. They should be doing this — now.

The Post’s Paul Kane reports this morning that despite their rhetoric downplaying this possibility, House Democrats are privately preparing for a possible effort to impeach President Trump, should they regain the majority.

That’s excellent news. This is exactly what Democrats should be doing — right now.

Not just because an impeachment battle might actually happen, but also for another reason: Democrats will need to find a more effective way to talk to the American people about the serial degradation of our democracy we are seeing in the Trump era, for the good of the party, yes, but also for the good of the country.

We can surmise that Democrats are preparing for impeachment because they chose Rep. Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.) as the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee — and Nadler is an expert in constitutional law. As Kane reports, this is the “clearest sign yet of how seriously House Democrats consider the possibility of a full-blown constitutional showdown” with Trump, one that could “end with impeachment proceedings.” Or, as Rep. Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.), put it, Nadler won the slot because of the “constitutional argument” and because of the need for Democrats to “prepare for the coming storm.”

This is the right posture — for a number of reasons, some obvious, some less so. To be clear, I’m not necessarily saying impeachment is merited right at this moment. My position aligns with the persuasive argument made by Benjamin Wittes and Jane Chong that there are ample grounds for beginning a formal congressional inquiry into possible impeachment, based on the sum total of Trump’s multiplying fields of misconduct.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#58

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 am

Politico
Impeachment debate divides Democrats as 2018 wave builds

A tidal wave of liberal disdain for President Donald Trump may help deliver the House to Democrats in 2018. And if it does, the new majority will face an immediate, fateful choice: to pursue Trump's impeachment as the base demands, or to coax their allies away from the doomsday button.

Democratic lawmakers acknowledge that their voters are hungry for Trump’s removal from office, even if there is no consensus on the grounds for his impeachment. Polls on the question show as many as three-quarters of Democrats already back impeachment, and one deep-pocketed ally, California megadonor Tom Steyer, has been mounting an expensive pressure campaign across the country to build support for Trump's impeachment. Democratic hostility toward the Republican president seems to intensify daily.

But lawmakers who recall the 1998 impeachment of President Bill Clinton are wary of sparking a political backlash for appearing too eager to remove a president without buy-in from independents and even some Republicans. Their tallest task may be persuading fellow Democrats to cool their jets. How the party handles the explosive question of impeachment could determine whether its new majority is still standing two years later.

"Impeachment, it's not something you ought to welcome. It's not something you ought to be ready to — it's not something you want," said Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), who was elected by his colleagues last week to be the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, the panel that handles impeachment matters.

If Democrats retake the House, Nadler will instantly become the party's gatekeeper on the issue. In fact, his expertise in constitutional law — as well as his outsized voice opposing the Clinton impeachment in 1998 — was a factor in his selection to lead committee Democrats. While he says impeachment would surely be on the table in a Democrat-led House, it's far from certain it would be the right call — politically or constitutionally. And it'll be up to his committee to tell voters why.

"If we were in the majority and if we decide that the evidence isn't there for impeachment — or even if the evidence is there we decide it would tear the country apart too much, there's no buy-in, there's no bipartisanship and we shouldn't do it for whatever reason — if we decide that, then it's our duty to educate the country why we decided it," Nadler said in an interview.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#59

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 am

Politico
Washington's growing obsession: The 25th Amendment ...

In private meetings with more than a dozen members of Congress held on Dec. 5 and 6, [Dr. Bandy X.] Lee briefed lawmakers — all Democrats except for one Republican senator, whom Lee declined to identify. Her professional warning to Capitol Hill: “He’s going to unravel, and we are seeing the signs.” ...

The tweet resuscitated the conversation about the president’s mental state and the 25th Amendment, which allows for the removal of the president from office if the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet deem him physically or mentally “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.”

The amendment is purposefully set up to require a high burden of proof, and there is no evidence that Vice President Mike Pence or the majority of Trump’s Cabinet have turned on him. But Trump’s Tuesday night nuclear taunt managed to cause alarm even within his own party. ...

But Lee’s campaign on Capitol Hill is far from over. Later this month, she has been invited to speak in front of another group of lawmakers, hosted by Connecticut Democratic Rep. Rosa DeLauro at her home. And she has been invited to speak at a town hall by Maryland Democratic Rep. Jamie Raskin, who has proposed a bill to set up a commission to evaluate the president’s fitness for office.

Raskin’s bill would create a body in Congress to evaluate the president’s fitness. “The judgment [about the president’s mental state] is not mine to make,” the freshman congressman said in an interview. “The judgment constitutionally is to be made by the vice president and the Cabinet, or the vice president and a new body. We have an institutional responsibility to set that body up.”

Over the past few months, Raskin said he has seen “a rising chorus of questions about this.” A bill that was at first viewed as a lark, with few co-sponsors, now has 56 co-sponsors. “Lawmakers, the media and lots of people in the public have been calling me about my bill,” he said. “The tweet yesterday set off alarm bells across the country. I’m trying to reassure people that our Constitution has a provision to deal with this.”


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#60

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 am

CNN
More Democratic lawmakers want to consider impeaching Trump

Washington (CNN) A proposal to sideline an effort to impeach President Donald Trump passed the House last Friday by a nearly 300-vote margin, with almost two in three House Democrats joining together against the impeachment plan.
But there was an interesting shift in the vote since a similar proposal was tabled in December: A majority of House Democrats who represent more liberal districts now voted in favor of considering impeachment, perhaps a sign that the left wing of the party could be edging closer to seriously mulling trying to oust the President. Or at least making a show of it.

While it's clear the House — and even the Democratic caucus — are a long way from actually backing impeachment, the gradual shift could have major implications if Democrats are able to win back the House after the 2018 midterm elections.
You can see the shift if you divide House Democrats into two halves: those representing the most liberal districts and least liberal districts. Then compare those who cast votes against a motion to table impeachment on Jan. 19 (a vote against tabling is a vote in favor of considering impeachment; the ideology of each district is determined by partisan voter index data from The Cook Political Report).

The takeaway is that more Democrats from more liberal districts supported impeachment in January than in December, which was tabled by a similar margin. The total number of Democrats backing the plan grew from 58 in December to 66 in January.


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#61

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Business Insider: Secret memo shows surprising bipartisanship during the Watergate succession crisis


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#62

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm

I strongly suspect that the very recent NYT story that Trump had actually given orders to fire Mueller and was talked out of it by his Consigliere is probably not true but a rumor floated by someone well-placed to damage Trump further. I say this because it seems to me obvious that there are plenty of people around Trump who have enough memory and sense to remember what happened to Nixon and who have gone to pains to explain this, each of them in turn, to Trump so that he was fully informed that trying to fire Mueller was suicidal.

This appearance of this unsourced story has, by itself, galvanized the people who are inclined toward impeachment and maybe added to their numbers, but, at best, it's a story of Trump talking about something and not actually doing it. I am sure that a great many people whose lives have been complicated by being investigated - not just people with guilty secrets but some who were completely guiltless - wished the investigation would vanish.



User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 6121
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#63

Post by RVInit » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Forti, the story is not "unsourced". The NYT cites FOUR sources. Although they are not named, I assume you are familiar with NYT policy on unnamed sources. If not, I believe you can read it on their website. These sources obviously were people that have been interviewed by Mueller because the story says that Mueller knows about this. The only way he would know is from interviewing WH staff, who clearly are the sources. Although Mueller's team is likely not leaking anything, nothing stops an interviewee from talking to the press and asking for anonymity, which seems to be the case here.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

SLQ
Posts: 1970
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#64

Post by SLQ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:58 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Forti, the story is not "unsourced". The NYT cites FOUR sources. Although they are not named, I assume you are familiar with NYT policy on unnamed sources. If not, I believe you can read it on their website. These sources obviously were people that have been interviewed by Mueller because the story says that Mueller knows about this. The only way he would know is from interviewing WH staff, who clearly are the sources. Although Mueller's team is likely not leaking anything, nothing stops an interviewee from talking to the press and asking for anonymity, which seems to be the case here.
:yeah: (Also, Fortinbras, you have posted this same comment on at least two threads). Fox has separately confirmed this was true. See Hannity's about-face. And "many people" who are under investigation aren't the president of the United States, whose interference and attempt to act is obstruction of justice.



User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 15093
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#65

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 am

However, I would guess that the timing of the story is no accident.


"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#66

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 am

The New Yorker
The New York Congressman Who Could Lead an Impeachment Charge Against Trump ...

Nadler comes from a safely Democratic district and has never had a competitive race since he first won his seat, in a special election, in 1992. But political calculation dominated our conversations about whether and how the impeachment of Trump could proceed. In Nadler’s reading of history, Nixon was forced from office because Democrats enlisted enough Republicans in the impeachment case to make Nixon’s presumed conviction in the Senate, by a two-thirds majority, likely; then and only then did Nixon step aside. In the Clinton case, conversely, Democrats stuck together and voted en masse against the House impeachment, and Republicans were unable to secure a conviction on the basis of just their own party’s votes in the Senate. Nadler warned of a “partisan coup d’état” against Clinton on the House floor, but, in the end, the political math didn't favor it.

The Clinton impeachment shapes how Nadler views a prospective case against Trump. “I said this on the floor of the House in 1998, and I meant it: impeachment must not be partisan,” Nadler told me. “And that’s true for two reasons. Number one, simple arithmetic. Let’s assume the Democrats get a majority of the House in the election, and let’s assume you vote impeachment on a partisan basis: all the Democrats voted for it; all the Republicans voted against it. Yes, you could impeach the President in the House. But you need a two-thirds vote in the Senate, and what’s the point of it? If you’re going to impeach him, you ought to be pretty sure you can convict him and remove him from office, and you should have good reasons for doing so.”

Removing the President is a dramatic move against the popular will; in effect, Nadler said, “you are nullifying the last election,” which is not something to be undertaken “without having buy-in, at least by the end of the process, by an appreciable fraction” of Republicans as well as Democrats. The alternative? “Twenty or thirty years of recriminations. Of almost half the country saying, ‘We won the election; you stole it from us.’ You don’t want to do that. Which means you should not impeach the President unless you really believe that, by the end of the process, you will have not only Democrats agreeing with you but a good fraction of the people who voted for him.”

There’s also the matter of evidence, and just what the charges would be against Trump. In the Clinton case, Nadler argued that Presidential perjury about a sexual affair did not rise to the level of impropriety envisioned in the Constitution, and he successfully urged Republicans on the Judiciary Committee to hold hearings on just what would constitute an impeachable offense, an exercise that convinced him that “the real test for an impeachable offense is, is this a threat to the constitutional order, to the protection of liberty, to the checks and balances system that the Constitution sets up?” He told me, “The impeachment clause was put into the Constitution as a political tool with which to defend the republic, to defend the constitutional order, to defend against a would-be tyrant.” ...

Still, Nadler insisted to me that he was not prepared to go forward with impeachment just because angry Democrats demand it, or even because he viewed Trump as unfit for office. “You don’t decide to impeach the President for the hell of it,” he told me. In dealing with Trump, Nadler said he expected that Mueller, like previous special counsels before him in the Clinton and Nixon cases, would deliver a report to Congress laying out his evidence related to the President, and he promised it would have to be sufficiently serious and specific. “To initiate impeachment, we would have to be convinced—I would certainly have to be convinced if I were going to help lead it—that the President has committed impeachable offenses, and that those impeachable offenses are so serious that the constitutional order is threatened if he is not impeached and removed from office,” Nadler said. “That’s the real test.”


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#67

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 am

New York Daily News - Sean Wilentz: Grounds for Trump’s impeachment: Forget about collusion claims; his inaction on Russian meddling alone makes the case
FiveThirtyEight: The Midterms Could Set Trump On A Path Toward Impeachment


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
gupwalla
Posts: 2779
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:57 pm
Location: The mind of Cassandra

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#68

Post by gupwalla » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 am

Addie wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 am
The New Yorker
The New York Congressman Who Could Lead an Impeachment Charge Against Trump ...
Removing the President is a dramatic move against the popular will; in effect, Nadler said, “you are nullifying the last election,” which is not something to be undertaken “without having buy-in, at least by the end of the process, by an appreciable fraction” of Republicans as well as Democrats.

There’s also the matter of evidence...“The impeachment clause was put into the Constitution as a political tool with which to defend the republic, to defend the constitutional order, to defend against a would-be tyrant.” ...

“To initiate impeachment, we would have to be convinced—I would certainly have to be convinced if I were going to help lead it—that the President has committed impeachable offenses, and that those impeachable offenses are so serious that the constitutional order is threatened if he is not impeached and removed from office,” Nadler said. “That’s the real test.”
Nadler puts what is in my head into words better than I can. I'm on Team Nadler here.

We're not at a worry point now, though it appears by some measures we could eventually get to a crisis point. President Trump's words are far more outrageous than his actions to date.

It's worth watching the developing space. It is a duty of patriots to be cautiously watchful of their government, and to provide feedback when it veers from the course. That's why we have freedoms of press, speech, peaceful assembly, and redress.

In the meantime, things are better than they might appear. Have hope and patiently endure these noisy times. Maybe go out for a walk if the weather is nice today. Talk to people! The real flesh and blood humans with souls are far nicer than the anonymous charactatures you meet online.


In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24815
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#69

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm

FiveThirtyEight: The Midterms Could Set Trump On A Path Toward Impeachment


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#70

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Are we that eager to make Mike Pence president? Really? Coming into office in the last half of Trump's term would give Pence some voter sympathy and a voter inclination to give him some extra time in the oval office to get up to speed.

As for the Democrats, I would generally be very supportive for either Sanders or Warren in an election -- but, in this situation, Trump will be a tough act to follow - whoever is the next president will have to spend the first year (at least) just undoing all the damage. It's such an ugly and overwhelming job that I don't want to waste anyone I like to do it.



User avatar
realist
Posts: 34347
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#71

Post by realist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm
Are we that eager to make Mike Pence president? Really? Coming into office in the last half of Trump's term would give Pence some voter sympathy and a voter inclination to give him some extra time in the oval office to get up to speed.

As for the Democrats, I would generally be very supportive for either Sanders or Warren in an election -- but, in this situation, Trump will be a tough act to follow - whoever is the next president will have to spend the first year (at least) just undoing all the damage. It's such an ugly and overwhelming job that I don't want to waste anyone I like to do it.
No, certainly do not want Pence either. But if there are the votes to oust Trump there are the votes to neutralize Pence's craziness as well, when necessary.

I also would never support either Sanders or Warren.


ImageX 4 ImageX36
Image

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#72

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

realist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm
Are we that eager to make Mike Pence president? Really? Coming into office in the last half of Trump's term would give Pence some voter sympathy and a voter inclination to give him some extra time in the oval office to get up to speed.

As for the Democrats, I would generally be very supportive for either Sanders or Warren in an election -- but, in this situation, Trump will be a tough act to follow - whoever is the next president will have to spend the first year (at least) just undoing all the damage. It's such an ugly and overwhelming job that I don't want to waste anyone I like to do it.
No, certainly do not want Pence either. But if there are the votes to oust Trump there are the votes to neutralize Pence's craziness as well, when necessary.

I also would never support either Sanders or Warren.
You wouldn't support Sanders or Warren against Trump or Pence? You can't really mean that.


"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#73

Post by p0rtia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Neither Warren nor Sanders is in my top ten either. Would I support either if nominated? Yes.


No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
realist
Posts: 34347
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#74

Post by realist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm
realist wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm
Are we that eager to make Mike Pence president? Really? Coming into office in the last half of Trump's term would give Pence some voter sympathy and a voter inclination to give him some extra time in the oval office to get up to speed.

As for the Democrats, I would generally be very supportive for either Sanders or Warren in an election -- but, in this situation, Trump will be a tough act to follow - whoever is the next president will have to spend the first year (at least) just undoing all the damage. It's such an ugly and overwhelming job that I don't want to waste anyone I like to do it.
No, certainly do not want Pence either. But if there are the votes to oust Trump there are the votes to neutralize Pence's craziness as well, when necessary.

I also would never support either Sanders or Warren.
You wouldn't support Sanders or Warren against Trump or Pence? You can't really mean that.
I didn’t glom in to he was speaking against Trump or Pence. Was pretty busy otherwise. But that said, i’d Seriously have to think long and hard about it, more so with Sanders. I might hold my nose and vote for Warren but would not be happy about it.


ImageX 4 ImageX36
Image

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Resolution of Inquiry Re Impeachment; Commission to Declare President Incapacitated Re 25th Amendment

#75

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 am

Whoever you like or don't like, I feel that Trump has done so much damage - and will continue to do damage (and, if removed, I think Pence would continue in causing damage) that whomever is the next President will be devoting much of his/her time simply to undo the damage, without actually getting on a new agenda. The next President will have to clean the Augean stables.



Post Reply

Return to “Congress”