Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Dan1100

Re: Congressional Committees: Re 2016 Elections & Russia

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 pm

much ado wrote:
Skip Intro wrote:
much ado wrote:Will a Special Prosecutor be appointed? How likely does that seem with what we know now?
Appointed by ??????
I believe by the Attorney General. At least that's how it was done for the Watergate criminal investigation, I think. From Comey's statement, this is not yet a criminal investigation. A Special Prosecutor may be needed if the investigation uncovers activities that may be criminal.
But Sessions recused himself, so I believe it would be the Acting Deputy Attorney General for now and then the new, improved Deputy Attorney General once he is confirmed.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

bob

Post by bob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Congress could, of course, introduce legislation to create a special prosecutor an independent counsel. Congress could then specify who gets to make the appointment (e.g., itself, a court, etc.).

Too (also), either branch of Congress (or both) could set up a select committee to investigate.
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm

from a long liveblog from today's hearings.

James Comey, Mike Rogers testify before House Intelligence Committee
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03 ... ittee.html

PoliticsTeam moderator 5 hours ago
Several (Democratic) senators call for independent investigation:
Senator Ben Cardin ‏Verified account
@SenatorCardin

Today's #ComeyHearing confirms it: Americans deserve a nonpartisan, transparent, public investigation into #Russia's attack on our democracy

10:55 AM - 20 Mar 2017
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:00 pm

bob wrote:Congress could, of course, introduce legislation to create a special prosecutor an independent counsel. Congress could then specify who gets to make the appointment (e.g., itself, a court, etc.).

Too (also), either branch of Congress (or both) could set up a select committee to investigate.
Given the current makeup of the House and Senate, it is surely unlikely that either of the above will occur without significant pressure being brought to bear upon Republicans. That pressure will have to come from the public and will have to be strong enough that individual Republicans fear for their own futures at the ballot box.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 pm

WaPo
Full transcript: FBI Director James Comey testifies on Russian interference in 2016 election
¡Qué vergüenza!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 am

I'm old and my memory is fuzzy. Please refresh.

As I recall, a few weeks ago there was a story that someone in the FBI (not Comey, maybe a deputy?) contacted Priebus and told him the whole Trump/Russia investigation story was "bullshit." Then Priebus phoned that someone asking if the FBI could make a statement confirming there was no Trump/FBI investigation (a big no-no on it's own). That somebody said they'd get back to Priebus and, when he did, he told Priebus, sorry, no, we can't make that statement.

Now, my question. Was a name attached to the person Priebus said contacted him re: the bullshit statement, and why isn't Priebus in a truckload o'trouble over this?

Sure, the GOP isn't going to do anything about it, but WTH is the media? Seems like this would be the week to bring that back up.

(and, no, this isn't' because I have RP as the next one under the bus. Swear to God.)

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:29 am

Or Priebus made the source up from whole cloth. I believe Priebus called someone to try to squash the Russia story, but the part about an FBI employee reaching out to him first is just a bit too pat.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 am

RoadScholar wrote:Or Priebus made the source up from whole cloth. I believe Priebus called someone to try to squash the Russia story, but the part about an FBI employee reaching out to him first is just a bit too pat.
Several articles have appeared regarding this matter. Here's the one from Politico:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/reince-prie

Personally, I'll place my bet on RoadScholar's view that Priebus' story is a fabrication.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am

Here's another link:

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/20 ... ia-reports
Spicer said it was the FBI that first approached the White House about the veracity of a New York Times story asserting that Trump advisers had contacts with Russian intelligence officials during the presidential campaign. Spicer said Priebus then asked both FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Director Andrew McCabe if they would condemn the story publicly, which they declined to do.

‘‘The chief of staff said, well, you’ve put us in a very difficult situation,’’ Spicer said. ‘‘You’ve told us that a story that made some fairly significant accusations was not true. And now you want us to just sit out there.’’

The White House also enlisted the help of Republicans on Capitol Hill to talk to reporters about the New York Times story. Jack Langer, a spokesman for Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., the chairman of the House intelligence committee, said the White House asked Nunes to speak with one reporter. He said the chairman told the journalist the same thing that he has said publicly many times before — that he had asked but not received any information from intelligence officials that would warrant a committee investigation of any American citizens’ contacts with Russian intelligence officials.

The Washington Post reported Friday that the chairman of the Senate intelligence committee also was enlisted by the White House. The newspaper quoted Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., saying he had conversations about Russia-related news reports with the White House and engaged with news organizations to dispute articles by The New York Times and CNN.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 am

The name attached, according to CREW: FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe

The original news story on CNN reported that the WH initiated the contact. Later the WH claimed that on Feb 15, before the call was made, McCabe had said to Priebus in person, at an unrelated meeting, that the story was bullshit. That's how Politico had it.
Slim Cognito wrote:I'm old and my memory is fuzzy. Please refresh.

As I recall, a few weeks ago there was a story that someone in the FBI (not Comey, maybe a deputy?) contacted Priebus and told him the whole Trump/Russia investigation story was "bullshit." Then Priebus phoned that someone asking if the FBI could make a statement confirming there was no Trump/FBI investigation (a big no-no on it's own). That somebody said they'd get back to Priebus and, when he did, he told Priebus, sorry, no, we can't make that statement.

Now, my question. Was a name attached to the person Priebus said contacted him re: the bullshit statement, and why isn't Priebus in a truckload o'trouble over this?

Sure, the GOP isn't going to do anything about it, but WTH is the media? Seems like this would be the week to bring that back up.

(and, no, this isn't' because I have RP as the next one under the bus. Swear to God.)
¡Qué vergüenza!

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 am

Here's another player in pin the Manafort on the Putin. Never heard of her before this article.
You had to be at least a part-time detective on the Trump-Russia beat to get the clues. The name of the tweeter, Andrea Chalupa, rang a bell. I looked her up. The sister she referenced was Alexandra, an operative for the Democratic National Committee who in 2015 had begun digging into the affairs of Donald Trump’s campaign chairman at the time, Paul Manafort. Since the bigtime D.C. lobbyist for developing world kleptocracies was close to pro-Russia elements in Ukraine, Chalupa began to suspect Moscow would have some sort of connection to the Trump campaign. She didn’t pay much attention at first, because Trump’s campaign was just a clown show. But then he got traction and she looked again. And then came the suspected Russian hacks of the DNC, including her own email account. Even stranger things began to happen, as her sister’s tweeted shorthand reminded everyone on Monday afternoon.

Yes, there had been an “attempted home break-in” last year, in her leafy, virtually crime-free neighborhood of northwest Washington, D.C., as Politico’s Kenneth P. Vogel and David Stern reported in January. Her iPhone was hacked, too, and a death-metal track popular in Russia appeared on her playlist. Her car was broken into and trashed twice, with nothing stolen. The second time, the burglar left a red, traditional Ukrainian blouse draped across the back seat. She reported the incidents to the D.C. police and FBI, which by then had opened a counterintelligence investigation into Russian subversion. No arrests have been made.You had to be at least a part-time detective on the Trump-Russia beat to get the clues.
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity: [words about Monday's hearing]
Back across town, Alexandra Chalupa was hoping investigators will keep drilling into the many and complex layers of Russian subversion on Trump’s behalf. The burgeoning scandal is so grave nobody has dared to hang a “-gate” on it. Watergate really was a third-rate burglary compared to what became apparent on Monday: Moscow’s hijacking of the 2016 election, with the possible collusion of its occupants.

“Important concerns were raised” in Monday’s hearing, Chalupa told Newsweek, carefully choosing her words. But she’d really like the FBI to catch the people who hacked her phone, twice broke into her car, tried to get into her house and continue to threaten her and her friends today.
http://www.newsweek.com/trump-comey-rus ... ngs-571349

Meanwhile, this happened. Russian attorney involved in US money-laundering case reportedly ‘thrown’ from 4th story apartment
Gorokhov was set to be a witness in USA v. Prevezon, a cause that, until recently, was being prosecuted by fired U.S. attorney Preet Bharara. President Donald Trump ousted Bharara in a high-profile firing last week. As BuzzFeed reports, one of the attorneys reportedly on the shortlist to replace Bharara is US Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who in the past defended Prevezon.

Gorokhov’s spokesman William Browder told BuzzFeed the lawyer was “thrown from the fourth floor of his apartment building.” The spokesman said Gorokhov’s name had been redacted from all of the documents surrounding the case because “the feds were very concerned for his safety.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/russia ... apartment/
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 am

If I were Trump, I would be afraid to say anything bad about Putin. :cantlook:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 am

Putin has Trump by the short hairs.

I don't know why I think this is so funny, it should be horrifying. Trump is in a predicament of his own making. I wonder if he's getting any sleep at all since Monday.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 am

For some reason, I'm reminded of this:
O’Reilly said: “He’s a killer, though. Putin’s a killer.”

“There are a lot of killers,” Trump replied. “We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent?”
:snippity:
.... In December 2015, the MSNBC host Joe Scarborough told Trump: “He kills journalists that don’t agree with him.”

Trump replied: “Well, I think that our country does plenty of killing too, Joe.”

The same week, Trump told ABC News: “In all fairness to Putin, you’re saying he killed people. I haven’t seen that. I don’t know that he has. If he has killed reporters I think that’s terrible. But this isn’t like somebody that’s stood with a gun and he’s taken the blame or he’s admitted that he’s killed. He’s always denied it.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... imir-putin

Committee to Protect Journalists: 36 journalists murdered in Russia since 1992, 23 since Putin became president. https://cpj.org/killed/europe/russia/murder.php
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Re: Congressional Briefings & Hearings: (Re Mike Flynn Investigations)

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Associated Press
Lawmakers want details on Flynn's foreign contacts, payments

WASHINGTON (AP) — A House committee wants the White House and Trump administration officials to detail all the payments and contacts that former national security adviser Michael Flynn had with foreign government representatives spanning the past three years.

The bipartisan letter by top members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee seeks material on Flynn's communications and payments from Russian, Turkish and other foreign sources since Flynn retired as Defense Intelligence Agency chief in August 2014.

The requests also seek material on Flynn's security clearance.

The letter went to White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, FBI Director James Comey, Defense Secretary James Mattis and National Intelligence Director Dan Coats.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:34 pm

This is all wild, stinky stuff.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm

The Hill
GOP chairman: Trump transition team was under surveillance

The U.S. intelligence community incidentally collected information on members of President Trump's transition team and the information was "widely disseminated" in intelligence reports, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said Wednesday.

"I recently confirmed that on numerous occasions, the intelligence community collected information on U.S. individuals involved in the Trump transition," Nunes told reporters.

"Details about U.S. persons involved in the incoming administration with little or no apparent foreign intelligence value were widely disseminated in intelligence community reports."

The information was "legally brought to him by sources who thought we should know it," Nunes said, though he provided little detail on the source.

Nunes also said that "additional names" of Trump transition officials had been unmasked in the intelligence reports. He indicated that Trump's communications may have been swept up.
¡Qué vergüenza!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:This is all wild, stinky stuff.
And lest anybody forget: Trump tried to install Flynn and Manafort into high level positions in the US government.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm confused. Why is this news? It appears to be a red herring intended to appear that Trump was right about surveillance. Except it isn't surveillance of Trump.
"This is a normal, incidental collection, based on what I could collect," Nunes said. "This appears to be all legally collected foreign intelligence under" the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Nunes said he alerted House Speaker Paul Ryan about the collection and is traveling to the White House Wednesday afternoon.

"I'm actually alarmed by it," Nunes said.
Why is he alarmed by "normal, incidental" collection (provided it's even true.) And why is he talking about it? It appears to be classified? And why is he going directly to the White House with mere unproven suspicions related to a Congressional investigation of Trump?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/ ... index.html

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 pm

ETA: Lest anyone misinterpret, my questions are rhetorical. :sarcasm:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm

So we went from "Obama illegally wire tapped me!" to "I feel vindicated because I was caught up in legal surveillance of Russian subjects."

And his base will lap it up.

Personally, this raises more questions than answers.

‘SOMEWHAT’ VINDICATED BY NUNES
• In a surprise development, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes said U.S. intelligence agencies had gathered information on Trump and his transition team before Trump was sworn in as president. Nunes briefed Trump about the investigation at the White House, and when Trump was asked about it, he said he felt “somewhat” vindicated. “I very much appreciated the fact that they found what they found.”

Trump has said former President Barack Obama wiretapped his Trump Tower office last year. Even Nunes — as well as officials including FBI Director James Comey — have said there’s no evidence that is the case.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump- ... 2017-03-22

Updated entry:

Here's a twitter thread that questions if this was something Nunes did on his own so Trump could save face.

Luke Russert‏Verified account @LukeRussert
Okay----real talk thread----this Nunes story is insane. In my 7 years covering the Hill, never saw something like this from Intel Chair

@LukeRussert 1. This week every intel agency worth a damn has told Congress that Obama absolutely did NOT spy/tap Trump's phone

2. So Trump WH looks terrible because he lied and implied his predecessor committed a crime.

3. So Nunes, gets a call from a "source" that claims intel agencies got "incidentally" picked up some stuff on Trump campaign?

4. Nunes, briefs Ryan, then runs to the WH to brief Trump. Then speaks to reporters without briefing the Intel Comt!?!?!?

5. Nunes acting on a "source" seems to have used his extremely important position to give Trump light cover on a manic tweet.

6. This is very dangerous. I have trouble seeing somebody like Mike Rogers doing this. Intel Chairmen don't act like this.

7. Lastly, who was the Trump Campaign talking to that got them swept up? Nunes might want to care about that...

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Mediaite
Ex-CIA Chief of Staff: Other House Intel Committee Members Likely Horrified Over Nunes Actions

Following House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes’ press conference on his briefing of President Donald Trump over his finding of “incidentally collected” communications of Trump transition members, a former CIA chief of staff lit into the Republican lawmaker over his actions.

MSNBC security analyst Jeremy Bash noted that he served as counsel to the House Intelligence Committee in the past while pointing out that he “never heard of a chairman of an oversight committee going to brief the President of the United States about concerns he had about things he read in an intelligence report.”

“The job of the committee is to do oversight of the executive branch,” Bash exclaimed. “Not to bring them into their investigation or to tip them off to things they may be looking at.”

He continued, “I’ve gotta believe that other members of the committee are horrified at what they just witnessed. This is a chairman that’s supposed to be doing impartial, bipartisan investigations of the president’s inner circle and instead he basically goers and tells the president and his team everything he knows.”

At the presser, Nunes was asked if he was providing “political cover” to Trump regarding the president’s tweets earlier this month that his predecessor wiretapped Trump Tower prior to the election.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Interesting video response to Nune's announcement.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Schiff's statement
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:58 pm

When does Nunes go so far that he has to recuse himself? Are we there yet?
¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Congress”