Immigration Bills

Volkonski

Re: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)/DREAM Act

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Hallie Jackson

@HallieJackson

.@POTUS is being emphatic: “I’d love to see a shutdown” if we can’t get immigration deal figured out. “Shut it down.”
1:35 PM - Feb 6, 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44 pm
https:// twitter.com/HallieJackson/status/960960226135601154
Hallie Jackson @HallieJackson

.@POTUS is being emphatic: “I’d love to see a shutdown” if we can’t get immigration deal figured out. “Shut it down.”
1:35 PM - Feb 6, 2018
Let the Dow Jones drop to a deep state....

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:41 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:54 pm
I am waiting for the Congress to push thru a bipartisan legislation and give it to the clown-in-chief for signing. He has said in the past that he would sign anything that comes along. Egg on his face real soon now for vetoing?
:thumbs: Although I am afraid that was before Miller and Kelly got a hold of him.
And Cotton, the Arkansas bete noir.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Trump chief of staff: immigrants who didn’t apply for DACA were “too lazy to get off their asses” And they should be grateful Trump is willing to legalize them.
White House Chief of Staff John Kelly has a message for Democrats, and for immigrants: Don’t criticize the White House’s ideas for immigration policy. Be happy, instead, that President Trump is willing to allow even “lazy” immigrants to eventually become US citizens.

“Lazy” was how Kelly described immigrants who were eligible to apply for deportation protections and work permits under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, but who didn’t have protections at the time Trump shut the program to new applicants in September 2017. It’s estimated that 1.8 million immigrants in the US met the criteria for DACA, but as of September, only 690,000 had it.

The rest, Kelly told reporters Tuesday morning, were “people that some would say were too afraid to sign up, others would say were too lazy to get off their asses.”

And by proposing that those “lazy” immigrants should also be allowed to get legal status and eventual citizenship in the one-page framework the White House released before the State of the Union, Kelly said, the president was being incredibly generous — “beyond what anyone could have imagined.”
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... trump-lazy

Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Off Topic
The more Kelly talks, the more I hate him. I didn't realize he was as hateful toward immigrants as he is. I guess the dead giveaway should have been when Trump tapped him for DHS.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 pm

It's raw racism, pure and simple. This is what he thinks, and in fuckhead's White House--in fuckhead's Amerika--it's the norm, so he says it.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Have I told you lately that John Kelly is a national disgrace? He works for the laziest man in America for f's sake! He's a racist, pure and simple. And a liar. Just a disgrace.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm

You want to know why I am utterly convinced Trump is a die-hard racist? It's not just the long history, but also the fact that he has been approached by business, like my evil too big to fail employer, and had it explained to him that we employ Dreamers. We have a couple hundred at the bank, it's my understanding. The bank would like a solution that gave the Dreamers a legal way to stay in the country. That's our professed policy. I can't imagine how many other businesses are in the same position that come next month they're going to start losing trained employees because of stupid bigotry. It's going to be a real drag on the economy. We're going to learn that no, you can't replace someone who has a skilled job with years of experience with someone who has no experience. You just can't.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 pm

mmmirele wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm
You want to know why I am utterly convinced Trump is a die-hard racist? It's not just the long history, but also the fact that he has been approached by business, like my evil too big to fail employer, and had it explained to him that we employ Dreamers. We have a couple hundred at the bank, it's my understanding. The bank would like a solution that gave the Dreamers a legal way to stay in the country. That's our professed policy. I can't imagine how many other businesses are in the same position that come next month they're going to start losing trained employees because of stupid bigotry. It's going to be a real drag on the economy. We're going to learn that no, you can't replace someone who has a skilled job with years of experience with someone who has no experience. You just can't.
Plaintiff's Exhibit 1: Donald Trump.

I do wonder if the knuckle draggers have ever stopped to think that "their" tax money paid to educate the Dreamers. Seems like a huge pissing away of a sound investment.
And for all the ranting that the *President likes to do about MS-13, gangs are formed largely because of a breakdown of sociological support systems. Ya know, like families. So what do the deplorables want to do? Break up functional families by deporting good people. Makes sense.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm

She's persisted. :-D

Alex Moe

@AlexNBCNews

Pelosi announces on the House floor that she just heard from the House Historian she has been giving the longest continuous speech on the House floor since 1909
4:04 PM - Feb 7, 2018

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 pm

You can watch the latter 3 and a half hours of it here. Its basically her standing there refusing to yield the floor, talking about dreamers and reading letters. With none of the slight of hand that Ted Crus was allowed to do in his "Long Speach" (the camera focused on someone else talking for 15 minutes and when it came back Cruz was there looking refreshed.

The woman is tough, I couldn't do that.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 am

George W. Bush on immigrants: 'We ought to say thank you and welcome them'
BY AVERY ANAPOL - 02/08/18 07:45 AM EST
TheHill.com

Former President George W. Bush said on Thursday that the U.S. needs to “welcome” immigrants and thank them for doing the "jobs that Americans won't do."

"Americans don’t want to pick cotton at 105 degrees, but there are people who want to put food on their family’s tables and are willing to do that,” he said, according to The Associated Press. "We ought to say thank you and welcome them.”

Speaking at a summit in Abu Dhabi, Bush criticized President Trump’s approach to the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which protects undocumented immigrations who were brought to the U.S. as children from deportation.

“America’s their home,” Bush said of DACA recipients.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... nd-welcome

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBJ1Aok
Senate braces for showdown over ‘dreamers'

Senators are predicting a free-for-all, and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is using a House bill not related to immigration as the base legislation in order to create a fair playing ground.

"It sounds like Senator McConnell's just going to pull up a shell bill and let people have at it. ...It ought to be pretty fascinating," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), McConnell's top deputy.

Sen. Dick Durbin (Ill.), Cornyn's Democratic counterpart, predicted: "You're going to hear as many variations as the fertile minds of my colleagues can produce."

That would be in stark contrast to McConnell's usual tight grip on proceedings.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Ted Cruz cast lone vote against advancing 'Dreamer' legislation

https://m.chron.com/news/politics/artic ... ium=social
Texas U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz stood alone Monday in voting against a GOP motion to start debate on a new immigration proposal that could resolve the standoff over "Dreamers."

The 97-1 vote dramatized the Texas Republican's hardline stance against President Donald Trump's proposal to grant a path to citizenship for as many as 1.8 million young immigrants brought into the country illegally as children.

Cruz has frequently derided as "amnesty" any plan that confers legal status or citizenship on people living in the country illegally.

"I do not believe we should be granting a path to citizenship to anybody here illegally," Cruz said at the Capitol last month shortly after Trump broached the idea of offering a path to citizenship for Dreamers in exchange for border wall funding. "Doing so is inconsistent with the promises we made to the men and women who elected us."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm

CNN Breaking News

@cnnbrk

A second federal judge has blocked the Trump administration from ending DACA
http://
cnn.it/2EAMmzV

3:15 PM - Feb 13, 2018
Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis of the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York ruled that DACA participants and states are likely to succeed in their challenge that the way President Donald Trump terminated the Obama-era program was arbitrary and capricious.

Trump last year announced his plan to end DACA, the policy that allowed undocumented immigrants brought to the US as children to stay in the country, effective March 5. That deadline has become central in the congressional debate over immigration, but Democrats and Republicans are nowhere near a breakthrough.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 pm

House GOP leaders will whip conservative immigration bill

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/37371 ... ation-bill
House GOP leaders on Wednesday will whip a conservative immigration bill authored by Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), GOP sources told The Hill.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) made the call Tuesday afternoon. And Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) informed his whip team of the development during a meeting Tuesday evening, according to a source in the room.

The vote-counting effort fulfills a promise Ryan made to conservatives in the House Freedom Caucus, but there’s no guarantee the bill can secure enough votes to come to the floor.

Last month, the Speaker vowed that he’d only bring up the Goodlatte bill for a vote if it had the support of 218 Republicans — an extremely high bar. In exchange, Freedom Caucus members agreed to back a funding bill to avert a government shutdown.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm

@sahilkapur
NEW: @USChamber breaks with Trump and McConnell, pushing Congress to protect Dreamers with “no reduction in legal immigration.”
link to letter itself for non-twitterers.

https://www.uschamber.com/sites/default ... senate.pdf

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:39 pm

More than $13K raised for Montana man who quit job over work on ICE subpoena
BY BRANDON CARTER - 02/13/18 07:20 PM EST 23

A crowdfunding campaign has raised more than $13,000 for a Montana man who quit his state government job after being asked to process a subpoena for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Last week, Jordon Dyrdahl-Roberts tweeted that he had quit his job at the Montana Department of Labor and Industry after being asked to respond to ICE subpoenas for Montana workers as part of the Trump administration’s crackdown on illegal immigration.

A GoFundMe page set up to raise money for Dyrdahl-Roberts had raised more than $13,000 as of Tuesday.

Dyrdahl-Roberts tweeted after his resignation that he was quitting the job because “I want to be able to look my child in [the] eye.”

Dyrdahl-Roberts told The Huffington Post that he was “deeply humbled” by the crowdfunding campaign.

“I’ve had Dreamers reach out and say thank you,” he said. “One person told me their grandmother was a Holocaust survivor and if someone hadn’t made a choice like mine, they wouldn’t have survived. I wept.”

The crowdfunding campaign for Dyrdahl-Roberts was started by Juli Briskman, a former government contractor who was fired from her job after flipping off President Trump’s motorcade in November.

Briskman was the beneficiary of a GoFundMe campaign following her firing and told The Huffington Post she began the campaign for Dyrdahl-Roberts because she thought he was “brave.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... er-work-on

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:47 am

GOP civil war?

Rachael Bade

@rachaelmbade

.@freedomcaucus Chair @RepMarkMeadows just called for “new leadership” in the House Republican Conference, accusing @SpeakerRyan's team of slacking on putting forth a GOP immigration vote
10:33 AM - Feb 14, 2018

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Jordan Fabian

@Jordanfabian

A certain White House official just made some very intense attacks against @LindseyGrahamSC on immigration during a conference call with reporters, but the WH is not allowing the aide's comments to be put on record
12:44 PM - Feb 15, 2018

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Trump is having a hissy fit because he couldn't blame yesterday's massacre on MS-13 so he's threatened to veto the bipartisan proposal because a Dreamer might want to sponsor his grandmother.

Trying to coordinate goggies to Trumpies in trouble:
Manafort's bankers are not good boys and girls.
ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:54 pm

So now what happens?

The New York Times

@nytimes

Breaking News: Senators from both parties rejected a centrist immigration deal to help so-called Dreamers and fund a wall. President Trump had opposed it.
nyti.ms/2o9YBsS

2:49 PM - Feb 15, 2018
The bill, drafted by a group called the Common Sense Coalition, fell 54-45, six votes short of the 60 votes required for the Senate to consider it not long after the White House issued a veto threat. The vote came as lawmakers are weighing a series of immigration proposals, including a far more hard-line approach that meets conditions set by President Trump.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm

WaPo says that Trump's plan also failed, but in a more bigly way: it got only 39 votes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 9cd7f25565

Am I being detained?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 pm

RiverheadLOCAL
@RiverheadLOCAL

Zeldin bill would allow government to revoke citizenship for alleged offenses up to 10 years after naturalization.
ow.ly/4TAE30ivOj6

11:14 AM - Feb 20, 2018
The bill-

https://zeldin.house.gov/sites/zeldin.h ... _xml_0.pdf

A very large number of offenses would be cause for denaturalization. Possilbe that Melania could have been denaturalized had this law been in effect during her first 10 years of citizenship. ;)

Return to “Congress”