Immigration Bills

Addie

Immigration Bills

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:18 am

Thread title changed

----------------------------------

The Hill
Graham to roll out extension of Obama immigration program

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Wednesday said he will offer legislation to extend a key Obama administration immigration program.

"I'm going to introduce legislation with my Democratic colleagues and my Republican colleagues that would continue the legal status of the DACA kids," Graham told reporters.

Pressed on details of his legislation, which he'll roll out next year, Graham said: "It's going to be basically if you have legal status today, you'll continue to have legal status."

President-elect Donald Trump pledged during the campaign to nix President Obama's executive orders, including the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

The program — which has faced a lengthy legal battle — provides people living in the U.S. illegally who arrived as children with work authorization and a temporary halt on deportation if they meet certain requirements.

Slim Cognito

Re: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:34 am

How crazy is it that I now look to Lindsey Graham as a beacon of hope?

Trying to coordinate goggies to Trumpies in trouble:
Manafort's bankers are not good boys and girls.
ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:33 am

Slim Cognito wrote:How crazy is it that I now look to Lindsey Graham as a beacon of hope?
That's a rhetorical question, yesno? :shock:

The point of no return is no longer even visible in your rearview mirror. :-

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 pm

JANUARY 5, 2017
Unauthorized immigrants covered by DACA face uncertain future

More than 750,000 young unauthorized immigrants have received work permits and deportation relief through the federal government’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program since it was created by President Barack Obama, according to the latest data released by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. But they now must wait and see what becomes of the program under the Trump administration.

The program known as DACA was created through an executive action signed by Obama in August 2012.

It gives unauthorized immigrants who came to the U.S. before age 16 – a group sometimes called “Dreamers” – a chance to stay in the U.S. to study or work, provided they meet certain conditions such as being enrolled in high school or having a high school degree or GED equivalent, and not having a serious criminal conviction. Those approved for the program are given a work permit and protection from deportation for two years. Benefits can be renewed. <SNIP>
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... in-future/
01/04/17
Obama to Trump: Protect 'Dreamers'
The president relayed to Hill Democrats a 'very direct' conversation he had with his successor on a key immigration initiative.

President Barack Obama told Democratic lawmakers Wednesday that he stressed to Donald Trump the importance of his 2012 executive action that shielded so-called "Dreamers" from deportation and granted them work permits — a program that Trump vowed to dismantle as he campaigned during his presidential bid.

Obama relayed details of his immigration conversation with the president-elect during a morning confab at the Capitol with House and Senate Democrats. Though the meeting focused largely on Obama’s health care law, the outgoing president separately noted to lawmakers that he “spoke to Trump very directly” about beneficiaries of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, according to one member who attended.

“His message was, those are good kids who didn’t do anything wrong,” the lawmaker said. “That was heartfelt. He brought that up.” Two other sources confirmed Obama’s remarks at the private meeting.

The lawmaker said Obama indicated that a fight over the future of DACA recipients would be one issue that would prompt him to get back in the political arena.

Trump pledged as a candidate to overturn Obama’s executive actions on immigration — though since his election, Trump has taken a softer tone toward so-called Dreamers. <SNIP>
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/o ... ers-233183
JANUARY 5, 2017
Senator Kamala Harris’s first act in office is to protect DREAMers from Trump’s deportation forces

President-elect Donald Trump's draconian immigration plans have left millions of people uncertain and afraid for their future in this country, including the hundreds of thousands of young people known as DREAMers whom President Obama has worked to protect. But as Obama prepares to leave office, others are gearing up to defend his acts. California's newly-elected Senator Kamala Harris is doing so with her first move in office. <SNIP>
http://shareblue.com/senator-kamala-har ... on-forces/
Kamala Harris Verified account
‏@KamalaHarris
As my first official act as California’s U.S. Senator, I’m co-sponsoring legislation protecting the 744K DREAMers from being deported.

12:01 PM - 4 Jan 2017
Kamala Harris Verified account
‏@KamalaHarris
These individuals were raised in this country and deserve to fully participate and earn a piece of the American dream.

12:02 PM - 4 Jan 2017

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Re: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)/DREAM Act

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 pm

The Hill
Graham, Durbin call for action on DREAM Act by end of September

Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) are urging Congress to act before the end of September on legislation that would create protections for young undocumented immigrants.

The call to action came after the Trump administration announced Tuesday that it would end the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which shields immigrants brought to the country illegally as children from deportation.

Graham and Durbin, who both sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said it is imperative that lawmakers act swiftly to pass the DREAM Act, a measure they have introduced that would offer legal status to individuals who received protections under DACA. The DREAM Act was first introduced in 2001 by Durbin and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah).

Both lawmakers are part of the Gang of Eight — the group of senators who authored a 2013 bipartisan immigration reform bill. That measure passed in the Senate but ultimately died in the House.

Graham said Tuesday that Trump's decision to end DACA with a six-month delay gives lawmakers a deadline to take action, which could help propel legislation through Congress.

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Addie wrote:The Hill

:snippity:

Graham said Tuesday that Trump's decision to end DACA with a six-month delay gives lawmakers a deadline to take action,which could help propel legislation through Congress.
...only to be stopped cold at the President's desk.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 pm

He doesn't have the guts to veto it. He just wants to be able to say he beat out Obama's DACA. That's all he cares about.
much ado wrote:
Addie wrote:The Hill

:snippity:

Graham said Tuesday that Trump's decision to end DACA with a six-month delay gives lawmakers a deadline to take action,which could help propel legislation through Congress.
...only to be stopped cold at the President's desk.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Associated Press
Trump vows to revisit DACA if Congress stumbles ...

8:40 p.m.

President Donald Trump now says he will "revisit" a program protecting young immigrants brought into the country illegally as children if Congress doesn't act.

Trump announced Tuesday that he was phasing out President Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program, but said he'd give Congress six months to come up with an alternative before ending it completely.

Now he's tweeting that, "Congress now has 6 months to legalize DACA (something the Obama Administration was unable to do)." But he says, "If they can't, I will revisit this issue!" It's unclear what that means.

Trump had tweeted earlier that he was looking forward to working with Republicans and Democrats in Congress "to address immigration reform in a way that puts hardworking citizens of our country 1st."

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:30 pm

That tweet is more of Trump's bullshit attempts to have it both ways (many sides, many sides?). Not only will he not revisit this issue, if Congress actually passes anything, quite likely he'll veto it.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Photo taken by my friend Marcy, of a DACA protest, from her office in the Federal Bldg., San Francisco, around 6:45 this evening.
DACA9517SF.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image Image Image Image

bob

Post by bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm

(The building on the other side of the blocked road? The 9th Circuit's main courthouse.)

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Last Friday the ShitGibbon said he loved the 800,000 Dreamers.

Today he proved his hatred for things Obama is greater than that love.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:09 am

He is a compulsive and serial liar, so this is a surprise-NOT!! He is also a nasty venal little tiny man, but then we already knew that as well.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

Slim Cognito wrote:How crazy is it that I now look to Lindsey Graham as a beacon of hope?
Same here. And Orin Hatch at times.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:57 am

Kendra wrote:
Same here. And Orin Hatch at times.
:yeah: I think it's called grasping at straws.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Christina Wilkie ‏Verified account @christinawilkie 4h 4 hours ago

The faces on Schumer, Pelosi and McConnell in this photo capture the negotiating leverage each party has right now.
https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/sta ... 4597591040

The last thing the GOP in Congress want is a clean DACA bill because it will have around 75% support, a lot of them will have to vote for it anyway. They want to attach it to Trumpcare, Paul Ryan-style tax reform, anything that would otherwise get 0 Democrat votes.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 pm

BuzzFeed News
Donald Trump Just Made A Deal With Democrats To Avoid A Government Shutdown ...

Pelosi and Schumer, who held a joint press conference before the White House meeting decrying Trump's decision did not say whether they had come to an agreement with the president on DACA. Democrats, and a handful of Republican members of Congress, have pushed to pass the DREAM Act which would provide protections for those immigrants, but it is unclear whether Trump supports that legislation on its own.

"As Democratic leaders, we also made it clear that we strongly believe the DREAM Act must come to the floor and pass as soon as possible and we will not rest until we get this done," the two Democrats said Wednesday.

Trump told reporters after the meeting that he is confident that Congress will get something done, saying that he'd like to "see a permanent deal" to protect DREAMers that includes border security funding as well.

"Chuck and Nancy would like to see something happen, and so do I. And I said if we can get something to happen, we’re going to sign it and we’re going to make a lot of happy people," Trump said.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm

HuffPo
Nancy Pelosi Says Trump Promised Her He'd Sign The Dream Act

WASHINGTON ― House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that President Donald Trump told her on two occasions that he supports and would sign a bill to give legal status to young undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children.

“We made it very clear in the course of the conversation that the priority was to pass the Dream Act,” Pelosi said at a press briefing. “Obviously it has to be bipartisan. The president supports that, he would sign it. But we have to get it passed.”

Democrats are pushing for the bill, called the Dream Act, after Trump rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program earlier this week. So-called Dreamers who received two-year work permits and deportation protections will begin to lose them in six months unless Congress steps in to act.

Trump has said he wants to work with Congress, including Democrats, to pass a bill that addresses DACA recipients before that time. He called Pelosi earlier Thursday and made the comment about the Dream Act then, as well as in a meeting on Wednesday, according to Pelosi.

After their phone conversation, Trump tweeted to say Dreamers should not worry about being detained over the next six months, which a Democratic aide said Pelosi requested he say publicly.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Over the years I am sure that I have taught many Dreamers. I doubt that the other students paid them any attention or were aware of DACA.

That has probably changed. Some of them are aware that we were turning into a Fascist country and may still be.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:22 pm

I grew up in a town that was about 40% Mexican. I didn't really know who was legal and who wasn't and I didn't really care. But I remember, as we approached junior and senior year of High School, that a lot of my friends sort of . . . gave up. Some of the brightest kids in my class, all through grade school and middle school, were Mexicans; but about half-way through high school they just seemed to stop caring. The town was very poor and I really don't know if it was because college was just out of reach for them, or if it was because they were in the country illegally and knew their options were limited. But I remember feeling incredibly sad that these very smart kids didn't really have much of a future.

My dad was a school teacher. He said most of the Mexican kids he taught were there illegally; but he really didn't care either. My dad loved his Mexican students because their parents pushed them to excel. Most of the parents would come to him at the start of the year and tell him, "You keep my child on track. You let me know if he's causing any problems. I have to work 12 hours a day in those fields and I want something better for him." When DACA came into force he was jubilant because it meant those kids had a chance now. He's a hopeless optimist so he thinks Congress will come through; but I know there's a part of him that is also heartbroken because of this.

So yeah. Anything that helps level the playing field - DACA or free tertiary education or anything else - I'm all in favour of it. I know the kids I grew up with were, for the most part, really great people with a lot to offer. Think of how much talent the US is wasting by telling them they don't have a place there

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 am

Addie wrote:HuffPo
Nancy Pelosi Says Trump Promised Her He'd Sign The Dream Act

WASHINGTON ― House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that President Donald Trump told her on two occasions that he supports and would sign a bill to give legal status to young undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children.

“We made it very clear in the course of the conversation that the priority was to pass the Dream Act,” Pelosi said at a press briefing. “Obviously it has to be bipartisan. The president supports that, he would sign it. But we have to get it passed.”

Democrats are pushing for the bill, called the Dream Act, after Trump rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program earlier this week. So-called Dreamers who received two-year work permits and deportation protections will begin to lose them in six months unless Congress steps in to act.

Trump has said he wants to work with Congress, including Democrats, to pass a bill that addresses DACA recipients before that time. He called Pelosi earlier Thursday and made the comment about the Dream Act then, as well as in a meeting on Wednesday, according to Pelosi.

After their phone conversation, Trump tweeted to say Dreamers should not worry about being detained over the next six months, which a Democratic aide said Pelosi requested he say publicly.
I will believe it when I see the signature on the bill.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

MRich

Post by MRich » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

ShaunaDACA.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:38 pm

LAT: UC sues the Trump administration for rescinding DACA protections for immigrant students:
The University of California sued the Trump administration Friday for rescinding protections for immigrant students without legal status, saying it unconstitutionally violates their rights on “nothing more than unreasoned executive whim.”

The lawsuit filed in the northern district of California is the first legal effort by a university to block the Trump administration's decision to end protection from deportation of nearly 800,000 young immigrants who were brought to the United States illegally before age 16, completed high school-level education and stayed out of trouble.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 am

Press Herald
Sen. Collins says ‘dreamers’ should have a chance to stay in U.S.

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine said Friday that she believes Congress will reinstate the Obama-era protections for people who were brought to the United States illegally as children, known as “dreamers.”

“I believe Congress needs to act quickly,” said Collins, who was appearing at the “Eggs and Issues” breakfast at York County Community College. ...

Collins agrees with Trump that Obama overreached his authority by issuing DACA as an executive order, but believes that Congress should pass a law allowing the dreamers to stay. Before Obama’s executive order, efforts to approve similar legislation, called the DREAM Act, failed to overcome a Senate filibuster in December 2010.

Collins voted to maintain the filibuster that sank the DREAM Act, citing concerns that it allowed some undocumented young people with criminal records to stay in the United States.

According to an official White House blog from 2010, those with serious criminal records would have been barred from applying for DREAM Act protection. The 2012 executive order also prohibits those with significant criminal records from receiving benefits.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Republicans are coming to "heel" on this issue?

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Return to “Congress”