ACA Sabotage/Trumpcare ....

ZekeB

Re: ACA/AHCA/BCRA, Medicaid, Medicare

Post by ZekeB » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm hearing on the semi-fake news station that a major concern of Iowa farmers is...

... crop insurance.

Crop insurance is necessary to keep family farmers from going bankrupt when the weather doesn't cooperate. They are circling the wagons and demanding that the new farm bill include crop insurance and crop insurance subsities.

These same farmers have a distain for government health insurance. It's as if they never heard of an illness bankrupting a farmer.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Same for flood insurance. As you know, federal flood insurance rates are unrealistically low, making it a very good deal for the owners of properties at high risk for flooding, but resulting in a program whose payouts vastly exceed its revenues. The very Republicans trying to get rid of the ACA have been talking about requiring the gov't to provide even cheaper or preferably free flood insurance. Their argument is that it should be subsidized by all the citizens in the US, because it isn't fair to make only the people directly affected shoulder the full financial burden (i.e. paying the real cost for that insurance). Which is, of course, the exact opposite of their argument against gov't subsidized health insurance.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:06 pm

WaPo: An anti-Obamacare argument evaporates: No counties now lack exchange insurers
Think Progress: There are no more ‘bare’ Obamacare counties in the entire country
Bloomberg: Obamacare’s Last Bare Spot Is Filled
¡Qué vergüenza!

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:23 pm

ZekeB wrote:I'm hearing on the semi-fake news station that a major concern of Iowa farmers is...

... crop insurance.

Crop insurance is necessary to keep family farmers from going bankrupt when the weather doesn't cooperate. They are circling the wagons and demanding that the new farm bill include crop insurance and crop insurance subsities.

These same farmers have a distain for government health insurance. It's as if they never heard of an illness bankrupting a farmer.
Off Topic
Interesting database where you can search to see how much the local farmers are getting. https://farm.ewg.org/search.php
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 pm

from 1949

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ESmHv2h50s

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm

That cartoon makes me very sad. In 1949 we had such great hopes and prospects. Where did we go so wrong?
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Sacramento Bee
Kamala Harris joins with Bernie Sanders to back ‘Medicare-for-all’ health care bill

Oakland

U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris on Wednesday told a crowd of mostly liberal activists that she plans to co-sponsor a “Medicare-for-all” bill pushed by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

The term is synonymous with single-payer health care, a system in which the government operates health care financing, ending the need for insurance companies.

Hundreds of people who packed the Beebe Memorial Cathedral church roared and cheered in applause when Harris said she’d “break some news” about her plans. Harris posted on Twitter shortly after that she intends to “co-sponsor the Medicare for All bill because it’s just the right thing to do.”

Her message was the opposite to that of her U.S. Senate colleague, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who balked at supporting a single-payer system at an event in San Francisco Tuesday night.

Sanders quickly responded to Harris on Twitter, saying “Thank you @KamalaHarris for your support. Let’s make health care a right, not a privilege.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Interesting. Yesterday on Thom Hartman, a caller argued that Harris was unacceptable to the Democratic base because she opposed universal healthcare. That was supposedly the reason "the Democrats," whoever they are, are down on her. And she has such a nice speaking voice....

For the record, I'm on board the Kamala Express.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:44 pm

p0rtia wrote:Interesting. Yesterday on Thom Hartman, a caller argued that Harris was unacceptable to the Democratic base because she opposed universal healthcare. That was supposedly the reason "the Democrats," whoever they are, are down on her. And she has such a nice speaking voice....

The same false claim is being spread about Al Franken. Assange and the whole gang of Putin Puppets have been very busy this week trying to split the Democrats by hurling false accusations about some of the party's brightest prospects. Divide and conquer by operatives posing as liberals.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
p0rtia wrote:Interesting. Yesterday on Thom Hartman, a caller argued that Harris was unacceptable to the Democratic base because she opposed universal healthcare. That was supposedly the reason "the Democrats," whoever they are, are down on her. And she has such a nice speaking voice....

The same false claim is being spread about Al Franken. Assange and the whole gang of Putin Puppets have been very busy this week trying to split the Democrats by hurling false accusations about some of the party's brightest prospects. Divide and conquer by operatives posing as liberals.
We are witnessing the beginnings of the propaganda campaign to trash her, IMO. I'll be interested to see how long it takes to get to he/she is a flawed candidate stage.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:24 am

It's going to be pretty hard for them to argue she's against single-payer if she co-sponsors the bill for it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:54 am

Ha ha ha, that's a good one... oh wait, you're serious? :eek2:
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:58 pm

The Hill
Dems blast Trump for trying to 'sabotage' ObamaCare

Top Democrats blasted the Trump administration on Thursday for moving to slash funding for ObamaCare advertising and enrollment outreach.

"The Trump administration is deliberately attempting to sabotage our health care system. When the number of people with health insurance declines and costs skyrocket, the American people will know who's to blame," Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in a statement. ...

“The Trump Administration’s cynical effort to lower enrollment will create chaos in the health marketplaces and increase premiums for millions of American families," Pelosi said.

"Republicans should be shoring up markets, not denying consumers their right to full information about health plans and yanking away tens of millions of dollars of expected funding from Navigators, just two months before open enrollment begins."

The Senate Health Committee is slated to hold several hearings starting next week as lawmakers push for a bipartisan bill to stabilize ObamaCare's exchanges.
¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Q: Would the insurance companies have an interest in making the promotions for enrollment, or do they prefer to pull out altogether ?

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:28 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Q: Would the insurance companies have an interest in making the promotions for enrollment, or do they prefer to pull out altogether ?
The structure of the ACA discourages that. They can only charge 15% (edit: correction they must spend 80% of premiums for medical care, 85% for large group policies) over the amount spent on actual medical care (and a few other things like quality management). So, they can't really pass the cost of advertising on to their customers.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:38 pm

New York Mag
The Senate Parliamentarian Deals Trumpcare the Final Death Blow

Obamacare repeal has been in a vegetative state for more than a month now. Some say that, for all practical purposes, the GOP’s quest to abolish the Affordable Care Act has been dead since late July. Others insist that Trumpcare has shown flickering signs of vitality, and still has an outside shot at recovery.

On Friday, the Senate parliamentarian ostensibly proved the former camp right: Elizabeth MacDonough informed congressional Republicans that the reconciliation instructions that empower them to repeal Obamacare with 51 Senate votes will expire at the end of September. Any attempt to repeal Barack Obama’s signature law after this month would be subject to a filibuster — and, thus, require Democratic votes. (Technically, Republicans could pass a new budget resolution with reconciliation instructions related to Obamacare repeal, but such a move would seriously complicate their tax “reform” efforts, and is therefore, highly unlikely.)

The chances of Obamacare repeal passing by September’s end are essentially nil. There are only 12 legislative days this month — and in that time, Congress needs to pass a spending bill to keep the government open, raise the debt ceiling, appropriate funds for Harvey relief, and reauthorize the Children’s Health Insurance Program. If congressional Republicans couldn’t find common cause on health care over the past eight months, there’s no way they’re going to find it in those 12, jam-packed days.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean that this Congress won’t pass any health-care legislation in the near future. Republicans may be incapable of gutting Obamacare by themselves — but they could still modestly reform the law, with Democratic help.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

12 legislative days in September - is that like the 12 days of Christmas in December? Surely the Fogbow can produce a parody. Feel free to make edits.

On the first day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell lied to me: America's 1% is tax reform needy.
On the second day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell lied to me: Too little time to repeal Obamacare.
On the third day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell gave to me: Three anxiety attacks.
On the fourth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell said to me: For the base votes, Trump must keep a'tweeting.
On the fifth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell whined to me: Five golden showers.
On the sixth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell gave to me: Sixty+ Republicans lying.
On the seventh day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell sent to me: Seven donation emails begging.
On the eighth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell hid from me: $8 million Russian dollars.
On the ninth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell complained to me: Ninety+ Democrats obstructing.
On the tenth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell tweeted me: Ten Trump tweets.
On the eleventh day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell yelled at me: Eleven reporters reporting.
On the 12th day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell cried to me: Twelve days are not enough.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:12 legislative days in September - is that like the 12 days of Christmas in December? Surely the Fogbow can produce a parody. Feel free to make edits.

On the first day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell lied to me: America's 1% is tax reform needy.
On the second day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell lied to me: Too little time to repeal Obamacare.
On the third day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell gave to me: Three anxiety attacks.
On the fourth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell said to me: For the base votes, Trump must keep a'tweeting.
On the fifth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell whined to me: Five golden showers.
On the sixth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell gave to me: Sixty+ Republicans lying.
On the seventh day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell sent to me: Seven donation emails begging.
On the eighth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell hid from me: $8 million Russian dollars.
On the ninth day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell complained to me: Ninety+ Democrats obstructing.
On the eleventh day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell yelled at me: Eleven reporters reporting.
On the 12th day of Congress, Ryan and McConnell cried to me: Twelve days are not enough.
:thumbs: :clap: :lol:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:06 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:12 legislative days in September - is that like the 12 days of Christmas in December? Surely the Fogbow can produce a parody. Feel free to make edits.

OMG - that's good! Another instant classic.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:59 pm

The Hill
Ex-Medicare chief promotes ObamaCare enrollment on Twitter after Trump cuts outreach funding

Former President Obama’s head of Medicare and Medicaid took to Twitter Friday to spread the word about the Affordable Care Act after it was announced President Trump was cutting outreach funding for the program.

“Trump decided not to inform people of ACA open enrollment in order to sink it,” Andy Slavitt tweeted Friday. “That's not the only option. RT here if you will help spread.”

Over 63,000 people retweeted the message in the first 24 hours after it was posted, which Slavitt cheered in a tweet on Saturday.

Trump’s Department of Health and Human Services announced Thursday that it was slashing funding for ObamaCare enrollment outreach programs. The funding will be cut from $100 million last year to $10 million this year.

Officials also announced they are cutting funding by 41 percent for "navigators," which are outside organizations that help sign people up for ObamaCare exchanges.

Democrats quickly ripped the funding cuts, with Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY.) accusing Trump is “deliberately sabotaging our healthcare system.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
OMG - that's good! Another instant classic.
Thank you! Thank you! :thankyou:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Once more, Zombie Obamacare repeal rises from the dead and this time it looks like they'll have the votes.

From Politico on Tuesday:
President Donald Trump and some Senate Republicans are refusing to give up on Obamacare repeal, even after this summer’s spectacular failure and with less than a month before a key deadline.

The president and White House staff have continued to work with Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolijna and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana over the summer on their proposal to block grant federal health care funding to the states. And though the bill is being rewritten and Congress faces a brutal September agenda, Trump and his allies on health care are making a last-gasp effort.

“He wants to do it, the president does. He loves the block grants. But we’ve got to have political support outside Washington,” Graham said in an interview. He said the bill needs to have a “majority of the Republican governors behind the idea” to gain momentum in the Senate.
And from TPM today:
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said Wednesday that he would support a plan to repeal Obamacare led by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA).
:snippity:
The Graham-Cassidy legislation would essentially dismantle much of Obamacare’s federal infrastructure, turning over federal dollars to the states to do with what they wish, though that flexibility at the state level would come at a sharp cost. Judith Solomon, vice president for health policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, told Politico on August 1 that she estimated it would result in 16 percent less federal spending in 2020 versus the Obamacare status quo’s spending on Medicaid expansion and market subsidies.

McCain was one of three Republican votes against Senate Republicans’ Obamacare repeal effort in late July. :snippity:
“We must now return to the correct way of legislating,” he said after voting the effort down, “and send the bill back to committee, hold hearings, receive input from both sides of aisle, heed the recommendations of nation’s governors, and produce a bill that finally delivers affordable health care for the American people.”

On Wednesday, McCain said it would be a “mistake” if the Graham-Cassidy legislation didn’t follow regular order, but that “it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t vote for it.”

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm

I have not held McCain in any esteem for a long time. Nothing he does or would do surprises me. Even facing an almost-certain, not-too-distant death, he's still beneath contempt.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 pm

“He wants to do it, the president does. He loves the block grants. But we’ve got to have political support outside Washington,” Graham said in an interview. He said the bill needs to have a “majority of the Republican governors behind the idea” to gain momentum in the Senate.
Well, the critical question is: how many of these Republican governors want a bowl of boiling hot potatoes tossed into their laps?
Am I being detained?

Suranis

Re: ACA/AHCA/Whatever the hell the next plan is called....

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 am

McCain shoving himself into the centre of the story, as usual, by saying he might vote for it. Will he? Won't he? Oh, the tension! Oh, the drama! Oh, fuck off.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Return to “Congress”