ACA Sabotage/Trumpcare ....

Suranis

Re: ACA/AHCA/BCRA, Medicaid, Medicare

Post by Suranis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:13 pm

I wonder what chapter of the Art of the Deal thats from

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:40 pm

bob wrote:Twitter:
Unless the Republican Senators are total quitters, Repeal & Replace is not dead! Demand another vote before voting on any other bill!

Most of the next votes are going to be confirmations of federal judges and defense spending bills, then the debt ceiling. I'm sure that will go over very well if they are holding those up for a bill nobody wants to actually pass.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Unless the Republican Senators are total quitters, Repeal & Replace is not dead! Demand another vote before voting on any other bill!
My understanding is that by advancing to a final vote and then failing to pass a measure, the Senate's shot at passing health care through reconciliation is in fact dead.

If any of the Republicans know how to read opinion polls, they'll leave it that way.

Or - and I know this is a radical concept - they could sit down with Democrats and work out a bipartisan bill to shore up acknowledged problem areas in the current law with solutions that have broad bipartisan consensus and then pass the bill through regular order.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 pm

So I checked the congressional calendar and the senators are supposed to be on the August break now. I know they planned to stay to vote on the ACA, but since they did that*, I assumed they had blown town. Did they decide to stay anyway?

*I'm sure that changing their vacation plans had no effect on anybody's vote Thursday night. :nope:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 pm

gupwalla wrote:
My understanding is that by advancing to a final vote and then failing to pass a measure, the Senate's shot at passing health care through reconciliation is in fact dead.

If any of the Republicans know how to read opinion polls, they'll leave it that way.

Or - and I know this is a radical concept - they could sit down with Democrats and work out a bipartisan bill to shore up acknowledged problem areas in the current law with solutions that have broad bipartisan consensus and then pass the bill through regular order.
No, it looks like it's still alive. The vote on the skinny bill was technically an amendment to the House bill, not the bill itself.

Like the House investigations into Hilary Clinton, this thing is never going to go away.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

much ado

Post by much ado » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Skip Intro wrote:No, it looks like it's still alive. The vote on the skinny bill was technically an amendment to the House bill, not the bill itself.

Like the House investigations into Hilary Clinton, this thing is never going to go away.
This whole thing is confusing. But I can't find any reference that says that the bill is not dead, for example, the Washington Post:
Washington Post wrote:Following the failed skinny repeal vote, Majority Leader McConnell said it was time to move on from health-care reform. For now, the bill is dead.
Which health-care plans the Senate rejected (and who voted ‘no’)

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Most likely they told Donald they won't get anywhere through reconciliation and to leave it alone because the other options will require 60 votes.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Trump has the answer.

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 pm

The Hill
Dems pivot to offering ObamaCare improvements

House Democrats are poised to advance a flood of proposals designed to address the problems dogging President Obama's signature healthcare law –– a move that puts pressure on Republican and Democratic leaders alike.

The strategy marks a pivot for the Democrats, as party leaders have throughout the year discouraged members from offering improvements to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), fearing they would highlight problems with the law and divert attention from the Republicans’ months-long struggle to repeal and replace it.

But rank-and-file Democrats are getting restless, with some saying they can no longer tell constituents they oppose the Republicans’ repeal bills without offering solutions of their own. ...

“We have stood ready with ideas and thoughts about how we can mend or improve the Affordable Care Act,” Rep. Joseph Crowley (N.Y.), chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, said Friday. “So it is really incumbent upon them to come join us and bring us to the table.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Senate is still scheduled for the next 2 weeks but the House is gone till September 5.

Unfortunately, according to Steven Dennis of Bloomberg, it was an amendment that failed so the AHCA could still be brought back. (I'm asking Steven about the name, had read that congressional offices were not tallying comments if people referred to the AHCA instead of the Senate named BRCA.)
Steven Dennis ‏Verified account @StevenTDennis
Just to be clear, AHCA is still alive and on the Senate calendar. It can be called up when and if McConnell has 50 votes.
He has 49.
9:54 PM - 29 Jul 2017
Justin Gould‏ @SkyMogul72 49m49 minutes ago
Replying to @StevenTDennis @maggieNYT
Reminder: only one bill per topic can be brought up in the Senate under reconciliation rules. Since skinny repeal failed, done until FY19.

Steven Dennis‏ Verified account @StevenTDennis 46m46 minutes ago
The bill itself did not fail. The vote was on an *amendment*. The bill was returned to the Senate calendar.
Twitter discussion here:
Joe Biden Reportedly Lobbied John McCain Ahead Of Crucial Obamacare Repeal Vote
McCain has the same kind of brain cancer that Biden's son Beau died of in 2015.
Jul 29, 2017 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe ... 64e8797fa9
Rand Paul wins for most evil to a sick Senator. This should help change McCain's vote. :roll:
As the long night came to a close, McConnell announced what the Senate would turn to next -- starting debate on the annual defense bill, a top priority for McCain as chairman of the Armed Services Committee.

But an objection was shouted from the back row. It came not from the other side of the aisle, but from Rand Paul, Kentucky’s other Republican senator, a reminder that despite the overtures toward bipartisanship, sometimes the biggest challenges have come from within the GOP.

McCain swiveled to shoot a look at Paul, another longtime sparring partner. Paul’s objection meant unexpected hurdles that delayed consideration later Friday of the typically bipartisan bill that McCain, facing cancer treatment, will not be able to stick around to help pass. He starts radiation and chemotherapy back in Arizona on Monday.

But for now, he had done what he could do. McCain brushed past reporters in the halls and the crowd of activists singing in celebration outside the Capitol. For now, he was heading home.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html

Donald threatens Congressional healthcare, sounds like a winning strategy.
Frustrated by the failure of the Obamacare repeal in the Senate, President Trump on Saturday threatened to end federal subsidies for healthcare insurance — for Congress as well as the rest of the country. “If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!” Trump tweeted, fuming about Congress’ failure to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which he said was “imploding.”

Such a move could cause havoc and much higher premiums in insurance markets, since many low- and moderate-income people depend on those subsidies to help cover the cost of their policies. Through a series of administrative maneuvers by Congress and the Obama administration, members and their staffs also benefit from those subsidies.

Targeting congressional healthcare might score Trump some populist points with his base, but it would likely come at a cost of poisoning his relationship with Congress. Just making the threat on Saturday highlights how far things have eroded between Trump and top GOP lawmakers. And it comes a day after Trump pushed out former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, an establishment Republican who was the GOP congressional leadership's trusted liaison in the White House.

Trump's longstanding threat to let the health insurance plans fail would come with its own political price. The federal government sends about $600 million a month to insurance companies to help cover the cost, and Trump is threatening to cut that off to allow Obamacare markets to collapse.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/washing ... story.html

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:07 am

As Trump steams, Senate Republicans consider new repeal effort
Some congressional Republicans are backing a proposal by Sen. Lindsey Graham they hope can get 50 Republican votes.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/2 ... eal-241128
Trump, increasingly impatient with the long-stalled repeal effort, met with three Senate Republicans about a new plan to roll back the health care law on Friday, signaling some lawmakers — as well as the president — are not ready to ditch their seven-year campaign promise.

The group is trying to write legislation that could get 50 Republican votes, according to multiple administration and Capitol Hill sources. The proposal from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) would block grant federal health care funding to the states and keep much of Obamacare’s tax regime. White House officials also met with House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) to brainstorm how to make the idea palatable to conservatives, according to two sources familiar with the meeting.

The White House-health care huddle came just hours before Trump savaged Senate Republicans in a series of Saturday tweets for failing to repeal Obamacare. If the Senate doesn't pass a bill soon, Trump warned, he may halt Obamacare payments subsidizing health plans for low-income individuals — an idea adamantly opposed by Republicans and Democrats alike.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:32 am

Please do not tell me I admitted I was wrong for nothing. I thought this was over. R's in Congress are just plain hateful.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:00 am

I don't know any other way to describe it except hateful.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 am

Lani wrote:I don't know any other way to describe it except hateful.
:like:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 am

I'm sure there were lots of Republicans that were very relieved that McCain said no.

The thing that has to be borne in mind is that the Koch brothers, and other donors, have been very publically saying that the pubs have to repeal the ACA, and they have been threatening to pull their money if they dont. So the pubs might feel that they have zero choice but to keep pushing this even though they know its a loser, and they want to move onto other things.

Without the Koch money they are in a lot of trouble fundraising the stupidly expensive pageants American elections have become. Of course, one of the things that made it so expensive was the Koch money in the first place

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

June bug

Post by June bug » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:29 am

Suranis wrote:I'm sure there were lots of Republicans that were very relieved that McCain said no.

The thing that has to be borne in mind is that the Koch brothers, and other donors, have been very publically saying that the pubs have to repeal the ACA, and they have been threatening to pull their money if they dont. So the pubs might feel that they have zero choice but to keep pushing this even though they know its a loser, and they want to move onto other things.

Without the Koch money they are in a lot of trouble fundraising the stupidly expensive pageants American elections have become. Of course, one of the things that made it so expensive was the Koch money in the first place
:like: Well said, Suranis.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Trump tells the Senate what to do. I am sure that McConnell will get right on it. ;)

Mulvaney: No other votes until Senate votes again on health care

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/3 ... 1?cmpid=sf
The Senate should not vote on anything else until it’s voted again on repealing Obamacare, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Sunday.

Mulvaney said that “yes,” it's official White House policy that the Senate shouldn’t hold a vote on another issue — not even an imminent crisis like raising the debt ceiling— until the Senate votes again on health care.

“In the White House's view, they can't move on in the Senate,” Mulvaney said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “You can't promise folks you're going to do something for seven years, and then not do it.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Volkonski wrote:Trump tells the Senate what to do. I am sure that McConnell will get right on it. ;)

Mulvaney: No other votes until Senate votes again on health care

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/3 ... 1?cmpid=sf
The Senate should not vote on anything else until it’s voted again on repealing Obamacare, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Sunday.

Mulvaney said that “yes,” it's official White House policy that the Senate shouldn’t hold a vote on another issue — not even an imminent crisis like raising the debt ceiling— until the Senate votes again on health care.

“In the White House's view, they can't move on in the Senate,” Mulvaney said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “You can't promise folks you're going to do something for seven years, and then not do it.”
:rotflmao:

Also, does Mulvaney strike anyone else as plastic with a reptilian inner core?

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 pm

http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/latimes
McConnell: Architect of failure
DOYLE MCMANUS
Mitch McConnell is helping the Trump presidency fail. That’s not the outcome the Senate Republican leader intended, of course. But that’s what he achieved last week when he presided over the apparent collapse of his party’s seven-year campaign to repeal Obamacare.

Instead, President Trump’s first big legislative effort just ended in a stinging loss.There’s plenty of blame to go around, but McConnell, the owlish Kentuckian with a now-dented reputation as a legislative wizard, was the man in charge. What went wrong?

First, McConnell and his Republicans had no plan — in part because they never expected Trump to win the presidential election. That meant many GOP senators had never done the hard work of figuring out what kind of Obamacare replacement they wanted, and what compromises they might accept if they ever had a chance to negotiate. There was no consensus about the kind of policy outcome they were seeking, beyond something they could call “repeal.”

Second, McConnell didn’t use the regular legislative process. Instead of sending healthcare to Senate committees for deliberation, he assembled a panel of 13 GOP senators, all white men, to write a bill behind closed doors. That had two effects. It locked Democrats out of the process. And it offended Republicans who were not included.

But it backfired.

“This is a disappointment,” he (McConnell) said. “A disappointment indeed.”

He was mourning more than merely the failure of one attempt to repeal Obamacare. He was seeing an entire legislative program heading into danger.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/latimes
McConnell: Architect of failure
DOYLE MCMANUS
:snippity:
Second, McConnell didn’t use the regular legislative process. Instead of sending healthcare to Senate committees for deliberation, he assembled a panel of 13 GOP senators, all white men, to write a bill behind closed doors. That had two effects. It locked Democrats out of the process. And it offended Republicans who were not included.

But it backfired.
Backfired? All but three of those Republican senators voted in favor. Democrats were never going to vote for a purely destructive Republican bill of this sort, although they would have cooperated on a genuinely bipartisan approach to improving healthcare. The Republican sheep obeyed their master's sheepdog. That was not the problem.

The real problem is that Republicans are assholes out to wreck healthcare but, unfortunately for their appalling party, just a few Republicans retain a flickering glimmer of humanity in the dark voids where their souls used to be.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:08 pm

I guess whether you see McConnell as failing Trump's agenda, or Trump as failing McConnell's, or some third thing, depends a bit on what Trump's actual health care agenda is.

It's possible to read the last few months as Trump very spitefully demanding that Ryan, McConnell, Priebus, Spicer, and the rest of the RNC/GOP eat every last one of their fucking vegetables for seven years of self-serving, inhumane rhetoric on health care.

I realize this is a contrarian view.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:13 pm

WaPo - Dave Weigel
Republican health-care tactics could be used to enact universal coverage, Democrats say

WASHINGTON—Outnumbered but emboldened, progressive Democrats who watched Republicans fail to unwind the Affordable Care Act are thinking harder about passing major expansions of health-care coverage. For many younger activists and legislators, the push to undo the ACA with just 51 Senate votes is less a cautionary tale than a model of how to bring about universal coverage.

The ambitious idea, discussed on the congressional backbenches and among activists, is not embraced by Democratic leaders. In the hours after the repeal push stalled, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer suggested that Republicans “sit down and trade ideas” with Democrats. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi suggested that Republicans fully fund subsidies for current ACA exchange plans — money that U.S. President Donald Trump frequently threatens to cut off.

But for many younger Democrats and activists, the Republicans’ near-miss on repeal demonstrated boldness from which a future left-wing majority could learn. Democrats passed the ACA through regular order, with a fleeting, fractious Senate supermajority. Republicans proved that major health-care policy changes can be pushed nearly to the finish line in the reconciliation process, with just 50 supportive senators and a vice-president ready to break a tie. ...

Last week, as the Senate debated then waylaid the repeal bills, the PCCC held all-day training sessions for 2018 Democratic candidates in a hotel near the Capitol. Many swing-district hopefuls either said they embraced single-payer health care or described it as an obvious goal to work toward.

“The image I have in my head is that everyone who wants to see a doctor can see one, without going to the ER or going bankrupt,” said Rick Neal, an international aid worker who was exploring a run against Rep. Steve Stivers, an Ohio Republican. “Health care doesn’t fit in this free-market fantasy that people have, because people will do anything to see a doctor. The high premiums we’re seeing right now are an indication of market failure.”

Andy Kim, a former National Security Council staffer now running against Rep. Tom MacArthur, Republican of New Jersey, described the ideal process for passing a bill in now-common progressive terms — starting with what voters want, not what might win over Republicans.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:11 am

McConnell, the owlish Kentuckian with a now-dented reputation as a legislative wizard,
Thanks TRL, got a big laugh from that line!

"Medicare at 55" is getting more attention since it would shift those 55-64 costs to the bigger pool and reduce costs for younger people. Instead of saying "single payer," saying "Medicare" means a lot more to most people.

It's entirely possible that the GOP is swinging so hard to the right the pendulum will come back to Medicare for all. Remember the GOP had it all in 2004 and lost it all, they're good at that.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:24 am

New York Mag
As Trump Threatens Obamacare, Bipartisan Group of House Members Plots a Fix ...

Meanwhile, a group of about 40 House Republicans and Democrats have been working on legislation that would protect the health insurance industry from the whims of our notoriously mercurial commander-in-chief. The Problem Solvers caucus has been meeting quietly for the past few weeks to look at ways to stabilize the Obamacare, and according to Politico they plan to unveil their ideas on Monday.

Their most significant proposal is providing funding for CSR subsidies, which are expected to be $7 billion this year. The subsidies reimburse insurers for covering out-of-pocket costs like co-pays and deductibles for the lowest income exchange enrollees. Earlier this year, the Kaiser Family Foundation concluded that eliminating the payments would cause premiums to increase an additional 19 percent. Since the federal government would have to pay more in tax credits that subsidize premiums for low-income exchange customers, eliminating CSR payments could actually cost the federal government an additional $2.3 billion in fiscal year 2018.

Trump only has control over the payments because the House sued the Obama administration in 2014, arguing that the payments required congressional approval. A federal district court judge ruled in favor of the House last year, but the president was allowed to continue making the payments as the matter worked its way through the courts. If Congress decided to fund the CSR payments in the meantime, the lawsuit would be a moot point.

According to Politico, members of the Problems Solvers and other centrist allies are considering a number of other changes to stabilize the marketplace ...

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 am

Salon - Amanda Marcotte
Democrats must strike now on health care: Medicaid buy-in is the answer ...

While I share the dream of ripping out our health insurance system by its root and replacing it with a single payer system — or better yet, a national health system like the one in the U.K. — single-payer advocates ought to agree that Medicaid buy-in is a more politically feasible route. The idea is that people shopping on the insurance market, either as individuals employers buying company policies, would be able to buy plans from Medicaid instead of private insurers. If done correctly, Medicaid could offer standardized, transparent coverage plans at prices that are more attractive than what private insurers can generally offer.

A system where people could buy into the government insurance program or (if they prefer) buy private insurance isn’t quite single-payer, but it’s awfully close, especially if the government program is widely popular and a better deal than anything for-profit companies could offer. It’s also close to the Canadian system, where residents pay a special tax that’s functionally an insurance premium, but one that goes to the government instead of to private insurers. (Our Medicare system already works this way: People pay their premiums to Medicare as a payroll tax.)

A buy-in system, I suspect, would also satisfy a lot of conservative voters. Republican politicians and pundits hate the idea, of course, because they have elaborate theories about the glories of capitalism and their funding comes from private enterprises that want to keep health care as a profit-making industry. But honestly, most conservative base voters are less interested in defending capitalism than they are in the idea that people shouldn’t get a “handout” and should earn their keep. Medicaid buy-in satisfies that objection, because it would still require paying premiums. Best part is the word “buy” is in the name, making it hard for conservative pundits to claim it’s a handout.

As for the more centrist Democrats, it’s worth remembering that the ACA almost had a public option, which is similar to the Medicaid buy-in I’m proposing here. It was only taken out because during Senate debate over the ACA, then-Sen. Joe Lieberman threatened to derail the entire process if a public option remained in the bill. That happened because Lieberman is a terrible person and also because he was indebted to the insurance industry (a major employer in the state of Connecticut). ...

Medicaid buy-in is also less of a big lift, politically speaking, than most alternative plans to expand access. It wouldn’t require reforming or rebuilding the entire health care system, but could be introduced as an amendment to the existing Affordable Care Act.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “Congress”