ACA/AHCA/Whatever the hell the next plan is called....

pipistrelle

Re: ACA/AHCA/BCRA, Medicaid, Medicare

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Chilidog wrote:did you notice at the end, Sanders and Ben Cardin cracking up?

https://video-cdn.buzzfeed.com/45288/mp ... 1501249506
Thanks for this much clearer version. It looks like they saw something on a screen, possibly McConnnell's sad face. McConnell shuffled away like he's not in the best of shape either. Who was the guy who just dropped his head?

I assume that was Schumer that stood up and told the Democrats to pipe down. I appreciate that. The White House/House joint kegger did not sit at all well with me.

Someone brought up McCain voting no to cover for those who wanted to but feel they can't.

Kudos to Murkowski and Collins. I wish Capito hadn't caved after that excellent comment about not coming to Washington to hurt people.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 am

I dont know who said this but I saw this graphoc on a forum and thought I'd share

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:21 am

Thanks. Senator McCain.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Somerset
Occupation: I take apart ICs, touchscreens & camera modules and figure out why they don't work.

Post by Somerset » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:38 am

Suranis wrote:I dont know who said this but I saw this graphoc on a forum and thought I'd share

Wow.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:35 am

Somerset wrote:
Suranis wrote:I dont know who said this but I saw this graphoc on a forum and thought I'd share

Wow.
:yeah:

BrianH

Post by BrianH » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:09 am

I read that if the Senate doesn't pass something in response to the AHCA by the end of the fiscal year, then to proceed under budget reconciliation the process would need to start over with a new bill in the House.

But I'm not following the author's point on this week's votes. On Tuesday the Senate voted on the BCRA and on Wednesday on "repeal and delay." I recall the BCRA vote needed 60 votes to get past the parliamentarian advisory. But I thought Wednesday's vote was a vote on the bill, and not merely procedural. If the earlier votes didn't preclude Friday's vote, I'm not following why Friday's vote now precludes McConnell from cobbling together something else for vote.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:13 am

Anxiously awaiting answer..... :waiting:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 am

Senator Chris Murphy on the vote:
My elevator reaches the basement at the same time as the other elevator in the bank.
Off that elevator steps my friend Senator John McCain. It’s exactly midnight.
“Murph!” he yells, and swats me on the back. Someday, I’ll get to tell my grandkids what he said next. We didn’t talk long — he shot off like an arrow with his coterie of staff. But I will remember the moment for the rest of my life, a reminder of why there is no one else in politics, and there will never ever again be anyone in politics, like John McCain. The original Maverick. A man with a sense of dignity and purpose that is all too rare nowadays in public life.
I walk onto the Senate floor just behind John. He goes over to Senator Schumer and they talk briefly. John then finds the Assistant Republican leader John Cornyn, and they have a short, tense conversation. McCain then goes to his seat. And sits.
I text my wife. “Turn on C-SPAN. Something is about to happen you need to see.”

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:02 am

Great article. :thumbs:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

Slate
The Future of Universal Health Care Is Medicaid ...

But there’s a bit more to the story, an important wrinkle. The part of Obamacare that saw the most support—the part that formed the foundation of its defense—was the Medicaid expansion. By expanding the program, the Affordable Care Act created a large constituency for its preservation, one that even included Republican governors like Brian Sandoval in Nevada and John Kasich in Ohio, who cared more about their constituents than fulfilling the national Republican Party’s campaign promises. And looking forward from this fight, durability of Medicaid provides a lesson for advocates of universal health coverage. The path to enduring reform isn’t through the exchanges or other market-based policies—it’s through government guarantees.

It’s worth repeating that “Obamacare repeal” was something of a misnomer for the larger Republican health care effort. In both the Senate’s Better Care Reconciliation Act, crafted in June, and the American Health Care Act passed by the House, the most significant cuts were for Medicaid. Friday morning’s failed “skinny” repeal didn’t contain Medicaid cuts—it focused largely on the the ACA’s regulated insurance markets—but it would have opened the door to a bill that did, had the Senate passed it and Congress progressed to writing a final version in conference committee. ...

If the Democrats were paying attention, the extent to which Medicaid was the key to defending the Affordable Care Act should be a glowing neon sign. As the party looks to fix real problems with the law, bolstering and expanding Medicaid should be a top priority. Because of its association with the poor and disabled, it will likely face continued assault from hostile lawmakers. Weakening that association, and making it a broad-based program like Medicare, will strengthen it, with the added advantage of expanding the constituency for improvement. In practical terms, that means first pushing for every state—no matter who controls the statehouse—to adopt the Medicaid expansion (19 states have yet to take that step), which would help close a good deal of the nation’s remaining coverage gap.

It also means taking a page from the Nevada Legislature and exploring ways to turn Medicaid into a de facto public option for people on the health care exchanges. Democrats in that Legislature passed a bill that would have allowed individuals and businesses to buy into Medicaid, strengthening the program by increasing the number of beneficiaries and alleviating the problem of choice and cost on the individual market. Boosting subsidies or enticing private insurers becomes less critical when consumers have Medicaid as a low cost option. What’s more, it’s clear that when voters receive Medicaid, they like it, giving it a powerful set of advocates and opening the political space for forward movement with the program. Looking to the long-term, a combination of buy-ins and expansion could make Medicaid the vehicle to universal health care that many on the left see in Medicare.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 am

I recommend reading Chris Murphy's post (at pipistrelle's link): it's not over-long and it's a fascinating read.

(For those with short memories, Chris Murphy is a Democrat senator who handled a lot of the ACA heavy lifting in the Senate in the Obama years.)

I'm curious what McCain said to Murphy. I wonder whether it was McCain giving the finger to Trump and the assholiosi of the Republican slugfarm? Whether or not the other post above about the Republicans' failure to pass that vote means that restrictions on reconciliation screw them, I guess it's possible that McCain's team identified that as an issue and decided it was a good time to strike. That clog lobbed into the machinery might not stop it, but it certainly won't help the Republicans.

I agree with Murphy's more general point that this is a disgraceful way to run an arm of the legislature, and that the notion that one body might pass a bill or motion only on the understanding that the other body would stop it is abhorrent on its face.

Somerset
Occupation: I take apart ICs, touchscreens & camera modules and figure out why they don't work.

Post by Somerset » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:51 am

Reality Check wrote:
Agreed. Well worth reading.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 am

I am so glad I got to read that. Thanks, Pipi :bighug:
Somerset wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
Agreed. Well worth reading.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:33 pm

http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/ ... 6bf740270e
GOP faces facts: Americans want health safety net
BY NOAM N. LEVEY

The dramatic collapse of Senate legislation to repeal the Affordable Care Act may not end the Republican dream of rolling back the 2010 healthcare law. But it lay bare a reality that will impede any GOP effort to sustain the re- peal campaign: Americans, though ambivalent about Obamacare in general, don’t want to give up the law’s landmark health protections.

“There may be a whole lot of Americans who are complaining about government, but that doesn’t mean they agree with eliminating the safety net,” said former Sen. Dave Durenberger, a Minnesota Republican and healthcare policy leader in the 1980s and ’90s. “We saw that with Social Security and Medicare in Reagan’s day. Now it is a much broader group of people who rely on those health protections.”

And as the Senate debate this week illustrated, Obamacare’s safety net — both guaranteed insurance for the sick and expanded Medicaid coverage for the poor — proved too valued to tear apart.

That means that, while attacks on Obamacare will probably continue, it’s increasingly unlikely that President Trump or GOP congressional leaders will be able to rip out the law “root and branch,” as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) once promised.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:07 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html

A look at McConnell and mostly McCain.
The Kentucky Republican counts success almost entirely through political victories, wins and losses best measured by the elections every two years. The Arizona Republican measures success in the worthiness of the fight — a determination that is sometimes influenced by his predilection for playing the “maverick” and the attention that brings.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Trump is now threatening to with old Cost Sharing Reduction (CSR) payments.

I don't think that this is a well thought out plan by Trump.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Chilidog wrote:Trump is now threatening to with old Cost Sharing Reduction (CSR) payments.

And this would be different or unusual when or why? He'd also have to be able to follow through, and no politician is going to let a threat to pork get by, that is their livelihood.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:38 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Chilidog wrote:Trump is now threatening to with old Cost Sharing Reduction (CSR) payments.

And this would be different or unusual when or why? He'd also have to be able to follow through, and no politician is going to let a threat to pork get by, that is their livelihood.
World's stupidest question (from me): If the CSRs are baked into ACA, and ACA is law, wouldn't withholding them or attempting to withhold them be against the law?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:44 pm

There's the $64 question.

These are the payments that are tied up in a convoluted lawsuit between the House Republicans and --- well it was Obama, now it's Trump, right now.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:26 pm

That thing about only one may be bullshit becasue... GUESS WHAT!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/2 ... eal-241128

Senate Republicans’ party-line attempts to repeal Obamacare aren’t dead just yet.

Some congressional Republicans and President Donald Trump aren’t giving up on their effort to roll back the health care law and are trying to write legislation that could get 50 Republican votes, according to multiple administration and Capitol Hill sources.

Trump seemed optimistic about moving forward on the bill on Friday after the shocking setback this week appeared to cripple his legislative agenda, according to a White House official. Yet several senior Republican Senate aides and allies of GOP leaders cautioned against any feelings of momentum coming from the White House on Saturday, particularly after Trump again instructed Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to change the Senate voting threshold to a simple majority and gut the legislative filibuster.

McConnell has resisted such a suggestion publicly and has been pushing back against Trump privately, according to people familiar with their interactions. One person close to McConnell said Trump has asked McConnell personally to change the rules but said no.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Chris Hayes tweeted that it's not true.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:03 pm

The Hill: Trump threatens to end Obamacare payments unless repeal passes:
President Trump on Saturday threatened to end key payments to insurance companies made under Obamacare if a repeal and replace bill is not passed.

"After seven years of 'talking' Repeal & Replace, the people of our great country are still being forced to live with imploding ObamaCare!" the president wrote in a tweet.

"If a new HealthCare Bill is not approved quickly, BAILOUTS for Insurance Companies and BAILOUTS for Members of Congress will end very soon!" he added.

Trump has previously threatened to withhold the payments, known as Cost Sharing Reduction (CSR) payments, which lower the amount individuals have to pay for deductibles, copayments and insurance.
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Although I'm thankful for McCain's vote, I didn't see a glimmer of hope that he now understands the necessity of ensuring care for all. I also noted that Mazie Hirono didn't receive a fraction of the respect that McCain received. (Her courage and humanity have been noted in this thread. Thank you.)

There has been growing attention to her, her personal struggle, and her contribution to healthcare for all. HuffPo has aggregated some of the videos and tweets here:

This Senator Isn’t Letting A Cancer Diagnosis Slow Her Fight To Save Obamacare

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_597a2 ... 4ebb73df3b

Her statement on the Senate floor.
http://www.snappytv.com/tc/5358764/3464917

And here:

Sorry, I can't make the videos display from my phone. :(
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

tek

Post by tek » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Democrats need to message, loud and hard, that this is the OSG basically pulling the plug on healthcare.

Nothing nuanced. "he has chosen to not uphold the law of the land" with both barrels.
He lost, he's a sore loser and he's taking it out on YOU.
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Twitter:
Unless the Republican Senators are total quitters, Repeal & Replace is not dead! Demand another vote before voting on any other bill!
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Return to “Congress”