Ex-Speaker Paul Ryan? (retitled)

Chilidog

Ex-Speaker Paul Ryan? (retitled)

Post by Chilidog » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:42 am

He deserves his own thread

They are not to happy with him over at Brietbart.

One posted has even suggested that he is growing a "Jihadist beard"

LOL

SueDB

Re: Speaker Paul Ryan

Post by SueDB » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Ryan Actually Thinks He Could Be Prez - Won't Run in 2016 to Clear the Decks for Prince Romney.
CONCORD, N.H. -- Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan ruled out a presidential campaign in 2016 on Monday.

Meanwhile, Ryan's former running mate, Mitt Romney, worked rapidly behind the scenes to begin assembling the pieces for a third White House bid that had once seemed implausible.

Taken in tandem, Ryan and Romney's moves have reshaped dramatically the early contours of the race for financial support among wide swaths of the Republican establishment, which had only recently been seen as likely to rally en masse around the prospective candidacy of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

"After giving it a lot of thought, I've decided not to run for president,” Ryan said in a statement to RealClearPolitics. “Our work at the House Ways and Means Committee over the next few years will be crucial to moving America forward, and my job
Another slug that things Americans are by the majority stupid. America is only 47% stupid.

With the trouble Ryan is now running into with the NaziNational Socia... err Tea Party types, it's no wonder he's ducking out.

Although, how do you duck out when you never ducked in??? I don't see his filings anywhere...well maybe nail filings... :sick:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

bob

Post by bob » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan ruled out a presidential campaign in 2016 on Monday.
... in January (of this year). Before assuming the speakership.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:13 pm

That's what I get for reading. :eek2:

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:45 pm

This time fer sure - Its dated 26 Dec 2015 - I checked - Right Wing Nutters Pissed At Ryan...and in other news.........
By Scott Wong - 12/26/15 12:02 PM EST

Outside the Beltway, the right is livid with new Speaker Paul Ryan’s trillion-dollar spending deal with Democrats.

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter says Ryan, just seven weeks on the job, is ripe for a primary challenge. “Paul Ryan Betrays America,” blared a headline on the conservative site Breibart.com. And Twitter is littered with references to the Wisconsin Republican’s new “Muslim beard.”

Ryan is refusing to let the attacks go unanswered and is using his megaphone as the nation’s top elected Republican to try to drown out the chorus of conservative critics.

After Congress passed the nearly $2 trillion government funding and tax-cuts package last week, Ryan touted conservative victories in a roundtable with Capitol Hill reporters, on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday, and again during a trio of interviews with friendly conservative talk radio hosts Michael Medved, Hugh Hewitt and his old political m...
I was wondering what was taking the morans so long. Usually they hate everybody right out of the box.

PS...further in the article is tells how Ryan has been called the M-word
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
by some of the more deranged Republicans. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

gatsby

Post by gatsby » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:39 pm

What kind of budget total did the teabaggers think they wanted?

Any major cuts to federal spending would likely affect the teabaggers the most. :brickwallsmall:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:39 pm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/r ... nt-process
In a consequential shift to how House Speaker Paul Ryan hoped to proceed with House business, Republican leadership announced Wednesday it will limit the consideration of amendments, which Democrats had been using to inflict political chaos.

While the move to a so-called "structured rule" reeks of insidery wonky parliamentary maneuvering, it is a significant departure from how Ryan had promised to run the House. It is also implicitly a concession that Democratic efforts to make life miserable for House Republicans by introducing politically awkward amendments had been effective. The most prominent of those amendments -- one that preserved protections for LGBT Americans -- derailed a major energy appropriations bill last month.

With the change, members will not be able to freely introduce amendments without going through the House Rules Committee, a move that could limit the amendments considered on legislation. Any amendments will be approved through the House Rules committee prior to a vote hitting the floor, an attempt to stop controversial amendments from sinking the must-pass spending bills.

Any member can still submit amendments, but the Rules Committee will have the final say.

The shift signifies Ryan's reckoning with reality. When he took the Speaker's gavel, the former Budget Committee chairman pledged he was committed to opening up the legislative process even when that meant forcing members to take tough votes. But free-wheeling and politically charged amendments have made it a tough promise for Ryan to keep. A source in a Republican conference meeting told TPM that it became clear "Democrats will continue to offer contentious amendments, but then not support bills on final passage."

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:12 am

OMG, Democrats wanted protections for LGBT Americans? No wonder Ryan had to put a stop to that kind of nonsense! :madguy:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 pm

CNN: Paul Ryan and allies brace for fallout in leadership race from Trump backers:
Top House Republicans are moving to quiet dissent over Speaker's Paul Ryan's rocky relationship with Donald Trump as some on the far right of the GOP conference are threatening to stir up trouble in leadership elections next month.

Regardless of what happens on Election Day, Ryan is in a difficult situation given the deep divisions in the Republican Party. He has become a target of Trump's grassroots supporters, and there is some concern among members that if Trump loses outside groups could try to put pressure on GOP offices to dump Ryan as speaker, especially if they don't like the outcome of the year-end spending bill Congress will take up.

And if, as most members told CNN, there is a smaller Republican majority -- potentially 230 seats or less compared to the 247 they have now, the speaker's room to maneuver will shrink with fewer moderates in his party, boosting the clout of his biggest critics: members of the conservative House Freedom Caucus.

Multiple House Republicans say if someone wants to challenge the speaker they are entitled to make their case, and they should use the use the current system to appeal to colleagues as to why they would be a better candidate. But some are frustrated that those who aren't happy with Ryan won't actually run but instead could derail him by casting protest votes in January that would deny him the 218 votes he needs to be sworn in again as speaker on the House floor.

So far no House GOP member is floating their name as an alternate candidate, and multiple House Republicans tell CNN there aren't any moves behind the scenes to mount a challenge to Ryan. But that could change after the election results are in, and House GOP members are bracing for double-digit losses.

But one man is putting his hat into the ring: Paul Nehlen, a Wisconsin businessman who lost resoundingly to Ryan in their August primary fight.

Nehlen told CNN Tuesday he plans to run against Ryan for speaker given that the Constitution allows people who are not elected representatives to serve as House speaker. (Non-members like Colin Powell have often received protest votes during speakership elections.)

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:58 pm

The Hill: Chatter grows that Ryan could step down:
Chatter is growing louder on Capitol Hill that Paul Ryan’s days as Speaker are numbered.

Four House Republicans, including a senior lawmaker close to leadership, told The Hill they expect Ryan to step down after Tuesday’s elections, arguing that he faces a daunting path to the 218 votes he needs to win a full two-year term leading the House GOP.

“Speculation is growing that Paul will not return,” said one senior GOP lawmaker close to leadership.

The lawmaker noted that if the GOP majority shrinks, Ryan could lose next year's floor vote to remain Speaker with a relatively small number of GOP defections.

“Why would he put himself in a situation where as few as 10 dissident members or one ill-timed quote from Trump could put his future in jeopardy?"
The outcome of the presidential race is a major factor for Ryan.

If Trump loses narrowly to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, he and his die-hard loyalists will almost certainly try to pin some of the blame on Ryan.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:01 pm

bob wrote:The Hill: Chatter grows that Ryan could step down:
:snippity:
If Trump loses narrowly to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, he and his die-hard loyalists will almost certainly try to pin some of the blame on Ryan.
:-D I think there will be plenty of blame for many, many people! And I am sure we all look forward to watching it being spread around. It should be quite a shitstorm.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:06 pm

They had a very hard time finding someone who would take the job last time. The GOP members had to beg Ryan to take the job and he gave them conditions before he would accept. Ryan does not look like a happy man. He knows Trump is going to cost him big time no matter the result of the election. His owner reason for keeping the post is that he will still have 'the power of the purse' and he gets to pull the strings on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_of_the_purse

June bug

Post by June bug » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Ryan turned out to be worse than Boehner and, IMHO, any likely replacement is going to be much worse than Ryan. Expect nothing but impeachment to get done for the next two years in the House.

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:47 pm

June bug wrote:Ryan turned out to be worse than Boehner and, IMHO, any likely replacement is going to be much worse than Ryan. Expect nothing but impeachment to get done for the next two years in the House.
The related speculation is that Pelosi may pull a Willie Brown and offer the Democrats' support to a sane, moderate Republican.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:50 pm

June bug wrote:Ryan turned out to be worse than Boehner and, IMHO, any likely replacement is going to be much worse than Ryan. Expect nothing but impeachment to get done for the next two years in the House.
Impeachment cost the House a lot of seats last time around. I don't think* leadership is stupid enough to do it again. It would cost them the House.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:00 pm

I am ashamed to say I had to look it up on Wikipedia, but it seems that Speaker of the House is elected like the Pope, there has to be an absolute majority and if there isn't they keep voting over and over again. If the Republicans lose some seats but are still in the majority, and they can't agree ahead of time to only nominate one Republican to go against Pelosi, it could be quite a spectacle of them voting over and over again.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Dan1100 wrote:I am ashamed to say I had to look it up on Wikipedia, but it seems that Speaker of the House is elected like the Pope, there has to be an absolute majority and if there isn't they keep voting over and over again. If the Republicans lose some seats but are still in the majority, and they can't agree ahead of time to only nominate one Republican to go against Pelosi, it could be quite a spectacle of them voting over and over again.
Shades of the start of the present session: If Ryan is the leading Republican candidate, and a Yoho is a reasonable second, Pelosi will direct just enough Democrats to vote for Ryan.

June bug

Post by June bug » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Impeachment cost the House a lot of seats last time around. I don't think* leadership is stupid enough to do it again. It would cost them the House.
Mike McCauley and Jason Chaffets are already promising impeachment hearings and McCauley as further talking up conviction and removal. I don't think we really have any idea of just how stupid Republicans are prepared to be.

June bug

Post by June bug » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:56 pm

bob wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:I am ashamed to say I had to look it up on Wikipedia, but it seems that Speaker of the House is elected like the Pope, there has to be an absolute majority and if there isn't they keep voting over and over again. If the Republicans lose some seats but are still in the majority, and they can't agree ahead of time to only nominate one Republican to go against Pelosi, it could be quite a spectacle of them voting over and over again.
Shades of the start of the present session: If Ryan is the leading Republican candidate, and a Yoho is a reasonable second, Pelosi will direct just enough Democrats to vote for Ryan.
Yoho? The name I've heard most is Gohmert!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:47 pm

There are a lot of stupid Republicans in Congress, but Yoyo and Gomer are two of the worst in my opinion. Neither competent or trustworthy enough to be dogwalkers. This is all assuming that Orley and Ryan's GOP contender don't split the votes enough in his state that a Dem gets elected, can only hope.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:58 pm

bob wrote:
If that's the way it goes down, hopefully the Democrats don't just give Ryan their votes. Hopefully he has to promise to get rid of the Hastert Rule and let the House vote on important bills whether there is a majority of Republicans for them or not.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 pm

01/03/17 11:18 AM EST
Ryan reelected Speaker in near-unanimous GOP vote
<snipped video at the link>

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Tuesday won reelection as Speaker of the House in a near-unanimous GOP vote that reflected a unified Republican party dead set on dismantling the past eight years of the Obama administration.

Conservative Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), a frequent thorn in leadership's side, was the sole Republican to defect from Ryan. Massie cast his vote for Rep. Daniel Webster (R-Fla.), who challenged Ryan for the Speaker's gavel in 2015 but not this year.

The final vote totals were 239 votes for Paul Ryan, 189 votes for Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), two votes for Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) and one vote each for Reps. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.), John Lewis (D-Ga.) and Daniel Webster (R-Fla.).

Pelosi loses four, Ryan one
Paul Ryan and Nancy Pelosi are both basically winners today. <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/31247 ... e-coverage
Paul Ryan wins re-election with votes from all but one Republican
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) won re-election Tuesday with 239 votes, securing his spot as leader of the 115th Congress. In a formal vote on Congress' opening day, Ryan earned the support of every Republican except Rep. Tom Massie (R-Ky.), who voted for Rep. Daniel Webster (R-Fla.). The nearly unanimous vote marks a striking move towards party unity, as several Republicans defected when Ryan was first elected speaker in 2015.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was re-elected as minority leader, winning the support of most Democrats. Three Democrats voted against her, with Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) voting for Rep. John Lewis (R-Ga.); Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.) voting for Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio); and Rep. Ron Kind (D-Wis.) voting for Cooper.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/670730/pa ... republican

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:46 pm

This just makes me sick...
:snippity: Leashes Come Off Wall Street, Gun Sellers, Polluters and More :snippity:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

I expect even worse to come. What a bunch of losers,legislating by ideology, not for the good of the people.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Is the end near for Paul Ryan's tenure as speaker?

Trump just threw him under the bus truck. Vroom Vrooom

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... y-possible

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Chilidog wrote:Is the end near for Paul Ryan's tenure as speaker?

Trump just threw him under the bus truck. Vroom Vrooom

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... y-possible
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/p ... p=cur&_r=0

No wonder Trump wanted everyone to watch her last night.

Edit, typo.

Return to “Congress”