Ex-Speaker Paul Ryan? (retitled)

Hektor

Re: Ex-Speaker Paul Ryan? (retitled)

Post by Hektor »

Yes, replacing Paul Ryan with someone better, cheaper and more effective will be as easy as replacing Obamacare.

Azastan

Re: Speaker Paul Ryan

Post by Azastan »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/p ... p=cur&_r=0

On Fox News on Sunday, Mr. Trump’s chief of staff, Reince Priebus, an ally of Mr. Ryan’s, said he had not spoken to the president about the Twitter post, but he called the timing “coincidental.”
I bet he said that with a straight face, too.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Azastan wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/p ... p=cur&_r=0

On Fox News on Sunday, Mr. Trump’s chief of staff, Reince Priebus, an ally of Mr. Ryan’s, said he had not spoken to the president about the Twitter post, but he called the timing “coincidental.”
I bet he said that with a straight face, too.
Most senior Republicans are highly accomplished liars.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Chilidog wrote:Is the end near for Paul Ryan's tenure as speaker?

Trump just threw him under the bus truck. Vroom Vrooom

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... y-possible
OMFSM --- Is this person now running the WH and telling Trump how to run a government cause Teh Donald does not have the guts stamina :?:

PS. where was the stamina of Teh Donald when he ought to have worked the Art Of The Deal but instead threw in the towel ?

ETA for PPS. imo the Democrats ought to pick on Teh Donald and his stamina quote and air his failure.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

His art of the deal involves a small group of people and involves him winning what he wants or need. The world of politics and making a deal with 535 Representatives and Senators is a whole bunch different. He demands Ryan do his bidding. He thinks that is his only role.

He is not setting his staff in a war room where their sole object is to go out and find the votes they need to accomplish the task. They are not greasing the palms that need to be greased. They are not using the power of the office of President to push the fence-sitters off the fence. They have not listened to even the representatives in their own party so they may discover what they may need to do got get a bill passed.

For a Stradivarius to sound like one of the greatest instruments constructed, the violinist has to know how to make that type of instrument create that world-renowned sound. The power of persuasion inherent in the position of President is only useful if the current officeholder knows how to use it.

Paul Ryan may be weak, but the President failed to hold up his end of the deal.

North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Every so often, more frequently recently, especially when Trump spent the weekend slacking off golfing at Mar-a-Who-the-fork-cares after the DonTCare bomb blew the Republican agenda to smithereens, the image of Obama ragging on The Donald that fateful night about how hard being the Apprentice Master must be and how deciding who to fire would keep him up nights, man he was so glad he didn't have The Donald's job, pops into my mind. Trump was livid. Mr. Zero Sense of Self-deprecating Humor later responded to a question during the primary about divesting by saying he could easypeasy do both jobs, his and the President's, and he wouldn't even need extra staff. Heck, if a n...black man can do it, pfffft.

Trump simmers and burns then acts out like a toddler when he doesn't get his way. It's the whole damn reason we are afflicted with him, IMH,NNS* opinion, his immature reaction to a rather ordinary roast from Obama, as roasts go. I'm appalled that the most august office in our country has been turned into a clique of cool kids trying to win the favor of the quarterback/homecoming king, with about as much gravitas.

Deliver us, amen.

*Not Necessarily Snarky

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Agree, Kate. Too, also, WHY would ANYONE choose to work in an environment in which you are scared daily that you might lose your job by sabotage or bullying?

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Ryan is not yet an Ex-Speaker. With the Republicans in the majority, Ryan's abdication simply means another Republican - one probably more in step with Trump - would replace him. Ex-judge Pirro doesn't get to decide who will be Speaker of the House, one of the advantages of the separation of the three branches .... But how did Trump know in advance what she'd say?

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

They are friends, He probably rang her up and asked her to slag off Ryan

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Chilidog wrote:Is the end near for Paul Ryan's tenure as speaker?

Trump just threw him under the bus truck. Vroom Vrooom

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... y-possible
Just a second thought:

Using "JudgeJeanine" as a messenger presents Trump as a weak guy with no backbone whatsoever. Even if the two spoke together and Trump whined about Ryan, he should not have tweeted the upcoming rant of JJ. At least then it would have looked like JJ had brought up the issue all by herself.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

RTH10260 wrote:
Just a second thought:

Using "JudgeJeanine" as a messenger presents Trump as a weak guy with no backbone whatsoever. Even if the two spoke together and Trump whined about Ryan, he should not have tweeted the upcoming rant of JJ. At least then it would have looked like JJ had brought up the issue all by herself.

Sadly, his believers probably think it makes him look even more important, having a "judge" side with him. :brickwallsmall:

M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times Editorial Board
Paul Ryan, Brought Down to Size

“Look, I’m a policy guy.”

That was Paul Ryan’s line before last Friday, when the health care bill he designed in secret went down without a vote, his own party showing what they thought of his policy.

Time and again when he was asked about President Trump’s attacks on immigrants or the courts, his ties to Russia or his claims of massive election fraud, the speaker of the House would say he was too busy working on his agenda, “A Better Way,” to think about all that nasty stuff.

That Mr. Ryan failed on the policy promise that Republicans have been running on for eight years makes it clear that if he is the policy wonk of the Republican Party, then the Republican Party has no policy. And with a health care plan that would have stripped 24 million Americans of basic care and drastically hiked premiums for people over 60, it seems that they don’t much care what Americans need or want.

The discrepancy between promise and reality should be no surprise to anyone who has looked at Mr. Ryan’s proposals over the years. Mr. Ryan has been rolling out grand pronouncements in bound volumes with fancy covers and snappy names, but the main message never changed: America‘s “path to prosperity” (remember that one? 2011) lies in tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, and slashing social programs and regulations.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Addie wrote:New York Times Editorial Board
Paul Ryan, Brought Down to Size

:snippity:

“Look, I’m a policy guy.”
:snippity:
Are there, in fact, any rational Republican policy wonks in the House? Asking, not commenting.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I'm not really comfortable with all the public, on teevee, gloating about the failure of the Ryan non-Health care bill. It could cause Republicans to say fuck it, we'll show them and pass something that the my-way-or-the-highway Caucus WILL get behind. That would be a disaster for countless of Americans. After watching the Republicans for the last 8 years and during the W Administration I have full confidence that something that will totally screw Americans will pass with enough Republican votes. We need to keep up, and even increase, the pressure on what are now known as "moderates" that their constituencies want affordable insurance that has meaningful coverage and can't be cancelled when they actually need it. Ryan is gearing up to do battle, of this I have no doubt. And he will use the rhetoric on tv to help convince Repubs to get behind worse than what he was already offering.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

RVInit wrote:I'm not really comfortable with all the public, on teevee, gloating about the failure of the Ryan non-Health care bill. It could cause Republicans to say fuck it, we'll show them and pass something that the my-way-or-the-highway Caucus WILL get behind. That would be a disaster for countless of Americans. After watching the Republicans for the last 8 years and during the W Administration I have full confidence that something that will totally screw Americans will pass with enough Republican votes. We need to keep up, and even increase, the pressure on what are now known as "moderates" that their constituencies want affordable insurance that has meaningful coverage and can't be cancelled when they actually need it. Ryan is gearing up to do battle, of this I have no doubt. And he will use the rhetoric on tv to help convince Repubs to get behind worse than what he was already offering.
Did you read that Vox article I linked to in the other thread? It explains the why the GOP did what they did.

Basically the only way to avoid a senate filibuster was to try to sneak the ACHA through on a retroactive budget reconciliation bill for 2017. They want to use the upcoming 2018 reconciliation bill to avoid a filibuster to pass tax cuts.

They can't do both without running into problems cutting revenues too much.

The thing is, next year they will be in the middle of the mid term campaigns. Will they want to gut the ACA then?

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chilidog wrote:
RVInit wrote:I'm not really comfortable with all the public, on teevee, gloating about the failure of the Ryan non-Health care bill. It could cause Republicans to say fuck it, we'll show them and pass something that the my-way-or-the-highway Caucus WILL get behind. That would be a disaster for countless of Americans. After watching the Republicans for the last 8 years and during the W Administration I have full confidence that something that will totally screw Americans will pass with enough Republican votes. We need to keep up, and even increase, the pressure on what are now known as "moderates" that their constituencies want affordable insurance that has meaningful coverage and can't be cancelled when they actually need it. Ryan is gearing up to do battle, of this I have no doubt. And he will use the rhetoric on tv to help convince Repubs to get behind worse than what he was already offering.
Did you read that Vox article I linked to in the other thread? It explains the why the GOP did what they did.

Basically the only way to avoid a senate filibuster was to try to sneak the ACHA through on a retroactive budget reconciliation bill for 2017. They want to use the upcoming 2018 reconciliation bill to avoid a filibuster to pass tax cuts.

They can't do both without running into problems cutting revenues too much.

The thing is, next year they will be in the middle of the mid term campaigns. Will they want to gut the ACA then?
Yes, I did read the article. I really appreciate all the articles that you and others, like Addie, supply. I don't always have time, especially right now, to search these out myself, so it has been really great to have so many of you that do the work and then I try to read whenever I can.

You are probably right more than I am about this, I think I get really concerned about what they are up to. I'm not sure where I heard that Ryan is trying something already. I sure as hell hope not.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Cross posted in Republicans Behaving Badly

'House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump'
A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the U.S. Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... f#comments

--- George W Bush

ImageImage
HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray »

RVInit wrote:Cross posted in Republicans Behaving Badly

A month before Donald Trump clinched the Republican nomination, one of his closest allies in Congress — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy — made a politically explosive assertion in a private conversation on Capitol Hill with his fellow GOP leaders: that Trump could be the beneficiary of payments from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016 exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Before the conversation, McCarthy and Ryan had emerged from separate talks at the U.S. Capitol with Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman, who had described a Kremlin tactic of financing populist politicians to undercut Eastern European democratic institutions.
So who gave up the audio file?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

True. Eale does jes>
i we dsai --==

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Tolland, you ok?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

HeatherGray wrote:
RVInit wrote:Cross posted in Republicans Behaving Badly

So who gave up the audio file?
A patriot?

I wondered too.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

kate520 wrote:Tolland, you ok?
Maybe the cat is posting.

North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

;)

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Whip

Post by Whip »

pipistrelle wrote:
A patriot?

I wondered too.

no way a bundy could have gotten a hold of it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Northland10 wrote:
kate520 wrote:Tolland, you ok?
Maybe the cat is posting.
Whoever gave up the file, this is just too delicious. Everyday gets more cray-cray.

Return to “Congress”