Iran Sanctions Bills/Iran Deal

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Kriselda Gray » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 pm

From what I gathered reading around the web, the bill won't let congress shuttle the deal itself, it only allows them to review aspects related to the sanctions congress imposed. I believe there is also supposed to be a clause that would prevent congress from trying to pass another bill later to get ant more say in it than what this one allows.

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

SueDB

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by SueDB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:56 am

The world is looking, pointing, and laughing at the incompetent boobs trying to think they are somehow relevant with 1850's policies in a 21st century world.

Next thing you know, there will be another GOP nut job in South Pigsknuckle Arizona trying to sponsor a bill giving the Arizona Legislature veto power over International Agreements, cause...just cause.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Addie

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:09 pm

New York Times

Rouhani Dismisses White House Compromise With Congress on Iran Nuclear Deal

TEHRAN — Iran’s president on Wednesday dismissed the compromise worked out between the Obama administration and Congress over an impending nuclear agreement as internal American politics, saying the Iranians were negotiating with six countries, not just the United States.

The president, Hassan Rouhani, also reiterated Iran’s position that onerous economic sanctions that have been imposed on the country for years by the United Nations, United States and European Union must be lifted with the signing of any final agreement.

The remarks by Mr. Rouhani, a prime architect of a framework nuclear agreement reached April 2 with the so-called P5-plus-1 group of powers, amounted to the first official Iranian reaction to a compromise reached on Tuesday between the White House and the Senate over the nuclear negotiations. ...

“Let the world, the P5-plus-1, the U.S. House of Representatives and the Senate, the U.S. president and the U.S. government, let everybody know that if there is not going to be an end to sanctions in this round of the talks, there is not going to be a deal,” he said.

“At the end of these talks and upon the time of signing the deal there should be an announcement on the end and lifting of the oppressive sanctions against the Iranian nation.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 pm

New York Times Editorial

A Reckless Act in the Senate on Iran

Congress has formally muscled its way into President Obama’s negotiations with Iran, creating new and potentially dangerous uncertainties for an agreement that offers the best chance of restraining that country’s nuclear program. ...

Mr. Obama’s acquiescence might be a tactical move. He could veto the congressional vote on the final agreement, which is supposed to be concluded by the June 30 deadline, rather than expending political capital in vetoing this measure if it were to pass both chambers of Congress. But the Senate committee’s action puts him in an weakened position as the only leader involved in the negotiations who may not be permitted to fully honor commitments that were made.

The nuclear deal is the product of a multinational negotiation with Iran conducted by the United States, France, Britain, China, Germany and Russia. In no other country has a legislative body demanded the right to block the agreement. Even if Congress barred Mr. Obama from waiving American sanctions, the European Union and the United Nations Security Council could lift the sanctions they imposed, thus undercutting the American decision. ...

Every president has negotiated similar agreements as part of executive authority. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee has wrongly and inappropriately diminished the president’s power to conduct the nation’s foreign policy as he was elected to do.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Dolly » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 pm

<snip>

Next thing you know, there will be another GOP nut job in South Pigsknuckle Arizona trying to sponsor a bill giving the Arizona Legislature veto power over International Agreements, cause...just cause.

This is close.

States slam the brakes on Iran, enact tough economic sanctions

While the United States and Iran edge closer to a nuclear deal, nearly two dozen U.S. states are imposing their own sanctions against Tehran – a move some say could derail fragile talks between the two countries.

The states, though, say they aren’t budging. In fact, Kansas and Mississippi are even considering adding more sanctions.

Several states across the country have put their own measures in place to punish Iran-linked companies operating in certain sectors of its economy, directing public pension funds with billions of dollars in assets to divesting from the firms and sometimes barring them from public contracts, Reuters reported.

In more than half of those states, restrictions will only expire if all federal sanctions against Iran are lifted – an unlikely scenario. <SNIP>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04 ... sanctions/

ETA: to clean up text and WARNING = autoplay video at the liink

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

June bug

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by June bug » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:12 pm

:explode:

Kriselda Gray

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Kriselda Gray » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:47 pm

I HATE KANSAS' GOVERNMENT! Some days, I almost wish a tornado would blow through Topeka and clear all the bullshit (especially Brownback) but that would be ugly - and messy - and could hurt too many innocent people.

-----

kate520

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by kate520 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:11 am

Almost wish? Honey, you are far kinder than I.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

ZekeB

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by ZekeB » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:28 am

I really don't care about Dorothy. She's dead now anyway, too. Toto can stay. I had a Toto dog once. He was a nice dog that could talk and he was the only critter that was happy to see me come home.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Kriselda Gray

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Kriselda Gray » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:49 am

Almost wish? Honey, you are far kinder than I.:lol:

I suppose what I would really wish for is a tornado with pinpoint accuracy that could sweep all the evil politicians away to an Oz of their own liking (and no shoes anywhere for them to use to get back here.). :mrgreen:

-----

Kriselda Gray

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Kriselda Gray » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:54 am

I really don't care about Dorothy. She's dead now anyway, too. Toto can stay. I had a Toto dog once. He was a nice dog that could talk and he was the only critter that was happy to see me come home.

While I was still living near Chicago, our dog had puppies, which, of course, I named. One was all black except for a big white dot on her chest, so that was her name - Dot. She was so cute, though, that it quickly became Dottie. A few weeks later, before we'd found homes for the pups - and before my parents had decided if we could keep one - my dad learned he was being transferred to Kansas. He decided to break both pieces of news to me at one time by asking if I'd like to take Dorothy back to Kansas :) She was a great dog!

-----

Estiveo

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Estiveo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm

I suppose what I would really wish for is a tornado with pinpoint accuracy that could sweep all the evil politicians away to an Oz of their own liking (and no shoes anywhere for them to use to get back here.). :mrgreen:

Meh, I just want a house to land on 'em.

(NADT)

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

esseff44

Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by esseff44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm

I just want them out of office and without any power over other people's lives, liberty and property.

Addie

Re: Iran Sanctions Bills

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 am

Politico
Republicans might block Trump from killing Iran nuke deal

President Donald Trump might soon toss the Iran nuclear deal back to Congress to decide its fate — but it’s no sure thing that lawmakers would kill it for good.

Critics of the Obama-era agreement, led by the president himself, appear to be on a mission to tank the accord. Naysayers in Congress are vowing to take advantage of a fast-track mechanism that would allow lawmakers to reinstate sanctions against Tehran with a simple majority vote.

But while congressional Republicans unanimously opposed the nuclear deal two years ago, there’s far less unity on how quickly the GOP-led Congress should move to “snap back” sanctions that were lifted as part of the Iran agreement. Doing so would effectively dismantle the 2015 deal.

Even a few defections would make a difference in the Senate, where Republicans hold a narrow 52-seat majority. Democratic senators, even those who opposed the nuclear agreement two years ago, want the deal to remain in place. As it stands now, enough Republicans are undecided that GOP leaders would struggle to corral the votes needed to reimpose sanctions.

The choice could land on Capitol Hill later this month, if Trump declines to certify by an Oct. 15 deadline that Iran is complying with the nuclear deal. The agreement lifted stiff sanctions against Iran that had been in place for decades in exchange for significant restrictions on the nation's nuclear program.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: Iran Sanctions Bills/Iran Deal

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Politico
Mattis: Stick to Iran deal

President Donald Trump's top Pentagon advisers told Congress Tuesday they believe Iran is sticking to the 2015 agreement to halt its nuclear weapons program and expressed support for keeping the pact.

“At this point in time, absent indications to the contrary, it is something the president should consider staying in,” Defense Secretary Jim Mattis testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Trump must decide by Oct. 15 whether to certify that Iran is keeping up with its end of the deal, which lifted economic sanctions in return for Iran freezing its nuclear weapons development and allowing more intrusive inspections of its atomic facilities. ...

But appearing alongside Mattis, Marine Gen. Joe Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, also told the panel Iran “is not in material breach” of the agreement, contending that the pact has “delayed the development of a nuclear capability by Iran.”

Asked about Trump's criticism of the deal, Mattis also offered that “I support the rigorous review that he has got going on right now." But when pressed by Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) on whether he thinks remaining in the pact is in the U.S. national security interest, he replied “Yes, senator, I do.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 am

The Guardian
Despairing of Trump, Europeans look to Congress to save Iran nuclear deal

European governments fear a concerted effort to persuade Donald Trump to continue to certify the Iran nuclear deal may have failed and are now looking for other ways to try to salvage the two year-old agreement.

European lobbying efforts are now focused on Congress which will have two months to decide – in the absence of Trump’s endorsement of the 2015 deal – whether to reimpose nuclear-related sanctions.

Fresh sanctions could in turn trigger Iranian withdrawal and a ramping up of its now mostly latent nuclear programme, taking the Middle East back to the brink of another major conflict.

When Trump threatened to withhold certification by a congressional deadline of 15 October, the UN general assembly in mid-September was seen by the European signatories of the agreement – the UK, France and Germany – as the last best chance to convince Trump of the dangers of destroying it.

But according to the accounts of several diplomats involved, the effort got nowhere.
Adding:
WaPo: Trump’s generals thwart him on the Iran deal

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Reuters
Trump plans to announce he will decertify Iran nuclear deal: Washington Post

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump plans to announce next week that he will decertify the Iran nuclear deal, saying it is not in the U.S. national interest and forwarding the issue to Congress to address, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The Post, citing people familiar with the White House strategy, said the president’s decision would be the first step in a process that could lead to the demise of the 2015 deal that limited Iran’s nuclear activities.
Adding:
WaPo: Trump plans to declare that Iran nuclear deal is not in the national interest

¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm
Reuters
Trump plans to announce he will decertify Iran nuclear deal: Washington Post

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump plans to announce next week that he will decertify the Iran nuclear deal, saying it is not in the U.S. national interest and forwarding the issue to Congress to address, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The Post, citing people familiar with the White House strategy, said the president’s decision would be the first step in a process that could lead to the demise of the 2015 deal that limited Iran’s nuclear activities.
Great strategy: the US has boots on the ground in Iraq / Syria to kill off ISIS, while at the same time increasing the troops in Afghanistan. Needs ships in the Chinese Sea to keep China at bay, and has a fleet shipping south to keep tabs on N.Korea. And when Iran restarts its nuclear program there will be just hot air when Teh Donald wishes to confront Iran. :brickwallsmall:

Apart that the other partners in this multinational agreement may get huffy over the US position.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:46 pm

This was posted to the Snopes facebook group and I thought I'd share it.

Well, it looks like this may become a a topic of discussion over the next few weeks.
I don't care which side of the issue you are on, if you are going to argue with your family and friends about this topic, you should at least be informed (arguing sucks, knowledge rules ;-) ).
Below are some resources for you to have intelligent discussions on this topic:
Iran Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action
This page has the text of the agreement, including the 5 Annex documents. If you really want to understand the agreement fully, this is the best place to start:
https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/iran/jcpoa/
What You Need to Know: JCPOA Packet
If you don't want to read through all 110 pages of the JCPoA, this document provides a decent summary of the agreement.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/si ... o_know.pdf
IAEA Inspection Reports
This site allows you to review the inspection reports provided by teh International Atomic Energy Agency. These are made available each quarter.
https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/i ... ea-reports
CRS Iran Nuclear Agreement Assessment
This report was commisioned by Congress to provide a current assessment of of the agreement. It was just published on 9/15/2017 so it is very current and very informative.
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/R43333.pdf
Iran-United States Claims Tribunal
IMPORTANT: This is NOT related to the JCPoA, but because of social media memes and fake news, some think the two are related. If you ever see someone talking about "pallets of cash" or "1.7 billion payouts", they are talking about this courts claim settlements, not the JCPoA. Specifically, that payout was part of the settlement of the U.S. & Iran Foreign Military Sales Program that has been in this court since the late 1970s.
http://www.iusct.net/

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Excellent sources of information. This is important, there is so much misinformation about the "Iran nuclear deal", including, apparently, many people thinking this was a bilateral agreement between the US and Iran, and also the payments being made to Iran. Thanks for posting this, nice to have all of this in one place.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:59 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:58 pm
Excellent sources of information. This is important, there is so much misinformation about the "Iran nuclear deal", including, apparently, many people thinking this was a bilateral agreement between the US and Iran, and also the payments being made to Iran. Thanks for posting this, nice to have all of this in one place.
And this point I would like to note that the other partners in the "nuclear deal" part are there to guarantee to Iran that most of the deal will still hold in the case that the US pulled out. It was already then Irans fear, that the US may unilaterally pull out and they would be left with a sour lemon. The "Iran Deal" is essentially a package of five (iirc) separate contracts/treaties/deals. One is the socalled "payments". This was not a bribe that Obama gave to Iran. It was a repayment with interest of a downpayment that Iran made in the 1970s for an arms deal that later went south. The moneys were subsequently blocked and Iran had for a long time already been in negotiations with the US to have that money repayed. With the US wanting the nuclear part to succeed, they agreed to have that significant amount released to Iran.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:02 am

New York Times
Growing Chorus Confronts Trump Against Leaving Nuclear Deal

WASHINGTON — President Trump is coming under mounting pressure from European allies and fellow Republicans to preserve the Iran nuclear deal. With the president widely expected to disavow the agreement when he outlines his Iran strategy on Friday, defenders and even erstwhile opponents of the deal are urging him not to unravel it completely.

Mr. Trump’s top national security aides are united behind a plan to decertify the deal, but leave it in place, with a goal of revising its terms. But in pursuing that course, the president will set off a volatile sequence of events that some warn could end up mortally wounding the agreement.

On Capitol Hill, lawmakers will have to decide whether to reimpose punitive sanctions on Tehran, a move that would almost certainly scuttle the 2015 deal that was brokered by world powers. In European capitals, allies are showing signs of resisting pressure to join the United States in trying to renegotiate its terms.

“While the Trump administration is making a very fine distinction between a decertification that is a report to Congress rather than leaving the deal, I’m concerned that that distinction will be lost on our allies and adversaries,” said Senator Chris Coons, a senior Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 pm

WaPo
On the eve of Trump delivering decision on Iran deal, Congress strategizes

Members of Congress who have squared off on the Iran nuclear deal since its inception strategized Wednesday in preparation for President Trump’s highly anticipated announcement on its fate.

Leading House Republicans huddled with national security adviser H.R. McMaster Wednesday evening for a classified briefing on the administration’s plan for the 2015 agreement. Emerging from the meeting, McMaster told reporters simply that it had been “Great, thanks.”

If Trump decides to decertify Iran’s compliance, as expected, Congress will have 60 days to decide whether to “snap back” sanctions that were lifted in exchange for curbs on Iran’s nuclear program. If sanctions were reimposed, despite the International Atomic Energy Agency verifying eight times that Iran has lived up to its end of the deal, the United States would be in breach of its commitments. In effect, it would be walking away unilaterally.

House Democrats met earlier in the day with former secretary of state John F. Kerry and former energy secretary Ernest Moniz, who were the primary negotiators of the deal made between Iran and six world powers. Wendy Sherman, another key negotiator, was also present. Jacob J. Lew, the former Treasury secretary, joined the discussion by phone.

Joining them were ambassadors to the United States from France, Germany and Britain — three European nations that also were parties to the multilateral agreement and have urged the United States not to abandon the deal so arduously negotiated.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm getting sick of listening to Republicans continue to disparage the JCPOA and yet admit that we should continue to honor the agreement. A-holes.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Congress”