Gun Control Legislation

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Gun Control Legislation

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 am

Roadie-I wholeheartedly agree.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 am
Roadie-I wholeheartedly agree.
:thumbs:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:53 pm
Here’s the goal: make it harder for criminals and mentally unstable people to get and use a gun. AND we should do nothing to deprive law-abiding mentally-stable Americans of gun ownership and use.
This is a good example of why I want the CDC really digging into the problem. Even such simple decliration lend themselves to 'is this the right goal?'

Do we want to reduce mass shootings? Do we want to reduce domestic escalation? Do we want to reduce guns used in the commision of other crimes? Do we want to reduce suicide? Do we want to reduce accidents? Do we want to reduce fear/anxiety? Who's fear/anxiety matters?

All of these overlap, but do not necessarily have the same solutions. Starting with criminals and mentally unstable people touches on some of them, but might conflict with others, and how much do criminals and the mentally unstable actually contribute? And how well distributed should these 'sacrifices' be? People like pointing at cars as a model to follow, but we already have problems with poor people (esp redlined types) getting and keeping cars, and we can see the effectiveness of, if bureaucratic steps are needed, making it easier or harder for people from various groups to get to and from required services. Things like insurance, registration, mandatory fancy features, and other cost-centric barriers sound great till you consider who tends to have the time and resources to brush these off vs who would struggle to meet them. Same with looping in law enforcement to decide who can and can not own them.. police and judges seem oddly less concerned about some groups of people than others and you really see how that plays out when it come to ownership of automatic weapons and destructive devices.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 am

Fine, just as long as objections to the difficulty in finding a solution don't result in the decision to do nothing.

Doing nothing is unacceptable.

We already do a pretty good job of deciding who should and shouldn't be driving a car or truck. Perfect? No. But "pretty good" would be 100% better than what we're doing now.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 am

neeneko wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 am
RoadScholar wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:53 pm
Here’s the goal: make it harder for criminals and mentally unstable people to get and use a gun. AND we should do nothing to deprive law-abiding mentally-stable Americans of gun ownership and use.
This is a good example of why I want the CDC really digging into the problem. Even such simple decliration lend themselves to 'is this the right goal?'

Do we want to reduce mass shootings? Do we want to reduce domestic escalation? Do we want to reduce guns used in the commision of other crimes? Do we want to reduce suicide? Do we want to reduce accidents? Do we want to reduce fear/anxiety? Who's fear/anxiety matters?

All of these overlap, but do not necessarily have the same solutions. Starting with criminals and mentally unstable people touches on some of them, but might conflict with others, and how much do criminals and the mentally unstable actually contribute? And how well distributed should these 'sacrifices' be? People like pointing at cars as a model to follow, but we already have problems with poor people (esp redlined types) getting and keeping cars, and we can see the effectiveness of, if bureaucratic steps are needed, making it easier or harder for people from various groups to get to and from required services. Things like insurance, registration, mandatory fancy features, and other cost-centric barriers sound great till you consider who tends to have the time and resources to brush these off vs who would struggle to meet them. Same with looping in law enforcement to decide who can and can not own them.. police and judges seem oddly less concerned about some groups of people than others and you really see how that plays out when it come to ownership of automatic weapons and destructive devices.
Yes, increasing the cost of gun ownership will require people to make careful and considered cost-benefit decisions. In my view, that's a feature, not a bug.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon May 21, 2018 11:17 am

Indeed. Especially sonce you lot are doing everything other than looking at the Elephent that's sitting on the patients chest "Gee hes suffocating? Hmm. Ok we need to open the window more as moving the Elephant is impossible" "HE MENTIONED THE ELEPHANT! Smash!"

Yes, opening the window or supplying a bit of oxygen to his nose is the only thing that can be done to save the patient with the Elephant on his chest.

Also, most people with Mental illness are not violent, at least not to other people. Even the famous split personality patients are not violent. There has never been a case of a "Alter" attacking anyone else other than the host.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon May 21, 2018 11:25 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 am
Doing nothing is unacceptable.
I agree, but doing something that does nothing useful and makes things worse is also unacceptable. Otherwise we might as just well as go with 'get rid of all the brown people' since plenty of people believe that would reduce gun violence.
We already do a pretty good job of deciding who should and shouldn't be driving a car or truck. Perfect? No. But "pretty good" would be 100% better than what we're doing now.
Do we? Getting away from sovcit sillyness, our current system is often talked about in terms of being part of the cycle of poverty in the US, so we mostly 'do a good job' in that it does not inconvenience any important voting blocks.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 am
Yes, increasing the cost of gun ownership will require people to make careful and considered cost-benefit decisions. In my view, that's a feature, not a bug.
I question how much that would actually happen though. Someone in the middle class might have to make a cost-benefit decision about how many guns or how fancy of a gun they want to get, but it just makes them less accessible in general to poor people, who already have fewer options to weigh in the first place.

It is a great feature if one's anxiety is about too many other people having them and it is an option weigh against other peace of mind or luxury goods, it is a bug if your anxiety is about too many people having them and you can't afford one or have to weigh the cost of compliance (or even worse, insurance, which is not being discussed here but often is) against necessities.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am

Right. So you advocate doing nothing. Got it.
X3

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 am

Mikedunford wrote:
:snippity:
As opposed to impulsive and no-cost decisions (as in, theft) by those who are motivated by fear, avarice or malice.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Our Lt. Governor is desperate to blame anything and everything for school shootings except the easy availability of guns.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blames video games, advocates arming teachers after Santa Fe shooting

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... ium=social
First he blamed doors, then he blamed video games.

On Sunday, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick went on ABC's "This Week" to advocate for arming teachers, condemn video games and decry a culture that has "devalued life."

"We cannot sit back and say it's the gun; it's us as a nation," he told host George Stephanopoulos. "But George, we take the guns out of society -- if you or anyone else thinks that that makes us safer, then -- then -- then I'm sad to say that you're mistaken."

:snippity:

"We have devalued life, whether it's through abortion, whether it's the breakup of families, through violent movies, and particularly violent video games, which now outsell movies and music," he said, before citing statistics about the prevalence of gaming among teens.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Alrighty, we know the Republican Party line on school shootings now: Ritalin and violent video games! At least until the debunking starts. They’ve always preferred “common sense” to empirical evidence in their facile, bandaid solutions to complex problems.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon May 21, 2018 1:09 pm

neeneko wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:34 am
Mikedunford wrote:
I question how much that would actually happen though. Someone in the middle class might have to make a cost-benefit decision about how many guns or how fancy of a gun they want to get, but it just makes them less accessible in general to poor people, who already have fewer options to weigh in the first place.

It is a great feature if one's anxiety is about too many other people having them and it is an option weigh against other peace of mind or luxury goods, it is a bug if your anxiety is about too many people having them and you can't afford one or have to weigh the cost of compliance (or even worse, insurance, which is not being discussed here but often is) against necessities.
I take insurance as a given in any discussion of the gun=car model.

And, to be blunt, I'm not sympathetic to cost-of-compliance arguments. If you are going to own or operate anything that carries with it an innate risk that an act of simple negligence can lead to death or life-changing harm for another, I think you have a moral duty to ensure that you will be able to compensate them for the damage you cause.

I also seriously question the extent to which a gun is a true necessity for the vast majority of the population.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 21, 2018 1:42 pm

In my scenario I anticipated the cost argument: Perhaps there could be very little in the way of costs and restrictions on law-abiding stable-minded Americans to own guns that never leave their property, just like with cars. (Licenses, tags and insurance are not required, for instance, for farm vehicles that never go out on public roads.) Just a registered title, and guns could be handled the same way.

The solutions will not be simple and easy, but we've got a lot of smart people in this country and we cannot keep answering the problem with flippin' thoughts and prayers.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:42 pm
In my scenario I anticipated the cost argument: Perhaps there could be very little in the way of costs and restrictions on law-abiding stable-minded Americans to own guns that never leave their property, just like with cars. (Licenses, tags and insurance are not required, for instance, for farm vehicles that never go out on public roads.) Just a registered title, and guns could be handled the same way.

The solutions will not be simple and easy, but we've got a lot of smart people in this country and we cannot keep answering the problem with flippin' thoughts and prayers.
I always find it so interesting that the people who claim moral authority on the issue of being "the" true patriotic Americans are the same ones that lack any ideas about how to solve this problem. It's pretty much the same old story - the seemingly "only solution" is one we will not tolerate, so therefore there can be no discussion at all. Isn't that the exact opposite of what it is to be a real American? America is nothing if not a country full of problem solvers, invention, and creativity. I think they are actually the ones in the room that are decidedly NOT real Americans.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm

You want to change things? you have to get as organised as the opposition. You want to know the real reason nothing changes? Because the opposition is willing to sit on the phones every day. The NRA is a tiny minority of gun owners, but when anything about gun control comes up the NRA people flood the phones. I read recently that congressmen that Death lovers outnumber life lovers on the phones by 200 to 1. They are willing to fill internet forums with the same lying bullshit that JRB spouts via multiple accounts and all the other tricks of the trade.

A Small highly organised movement will beat a large disorganised movement every single time, even if the truth is on the large movements side. That is the absolute central issue here. Are you willing to drop everything and call 50 congressmen day after day after day once you get an alert? Are you willing to lie like they do for this single issue?

And if you are not, you better figure out a way to not get divided by the same Berniebro bullshit, otherwise they will beat you and keep beating you. They don't have the Law on their side and they sure as all hell don't have the Facts on their side, so they will pound the table till it breaks and they will pound on you till you break.

All so they can squirt a big expensive penis that they have no need for.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon May 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorry, but you will not solve this problem in the foreseeable future. The American system of electing lawmakers and making laws is too flawed.
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon May 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:31 pm
Sorry, but you will not solve this problem in the foreseeable future. The American system of electing lawmakers and making laws is too flawed.
Probably not, but They didn't get here overnight either. It took the other side decades of dedicated chipping at the mountain. So you gotta start chipping at the mountain yourselves.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm sorry, as i know it may not be popular here, but, yes, violence on TV, games and media devalues life and makes killing nonchalant.
Hollywood etc has made killing just part of a storyline for little pay off of storyline.
It is insane to the point we barely even notice it. TV shows with "kill" numbers per episode that rival days of the Korean or Vietnam Wars and don't advance the storyline at all.
From Netflix to Hulu etc spy shows have kill rates that are ridiculous and be beyond the pale if they actually ever happened.
The Las Vegas killing would be normal in our lives.
For What? Entertainment value?
No one would join the FBI or CIA if these "realistic" events depicted happened in real life.
There's just no point to it.
Maybe it's free speech and therefore protected, but jeez, could we limit the death count to 5 per half hour?
Would that end the entertainment value?

We are born empty vessels filled with what societal norms are in our society-- and, they're pretty plastic.
I just don't think it should be skipped over as not affecting our youth.
I almost shudder to think what stupid crap would have happened in my youth if this was so "normalized" then.
I know most see it as a cop-out to blame games and media... it is to some amount.
Violent games, movies, and shows exist in other countries (maybe still mostly American in origin") but it should not be glossed over.
We live in one of the safest times ever... not likely to die a violent death.
Which brings me to a point, a question I didn't anticipate asking, but here I am.

Is this blood lust, this desire to see death, a la Roman Gladiators etc, being satiated or inflamed by this non-chalant "entertainment" killing saturating entire genres?
Apparently young men want to get dressed up in assault gear and be killing machines...
IMHO, it isn't happening in isolation.
The Mercury Project

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 pm

I have my suspicions about bad psycho-physiological effects of super-realistic gory first-person shooter video games. Seeing images of people exploding at the end of bullets you are firing, looking down the barrel? Thousands of times?

I’m not saying they should be banned, but maybe they’re not harmless either.
X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 pm

danraft and RoadScholar, I share your concern. There is something wrong in a society that requires such violence in its “entertainment.” We need more creativity in games and movies, not the highly repetitive gore. The problem is not to exercise crnsirship; it is to be creative in positive ways.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am

Silly question. But is was pondering... it is a male thing predominantly. Generally not the most popular young men. The majority (?) seem to get into the combat weapons, fatigues etc. They rarely seem into team sports.
What stuck out to me was that while they romanticize battle gear, etc., none seem to be really into it. I mean to say that I haven't notice ROTC types- am I wrong about that?
And, there are plenty of Paintgun groups to do fake battle with, even Laser Tag.
But, they don't seem inclined to that either.
Seems to be a non-sequitor?
Loneliness? Feeling wronged?
The Mercury Project

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 pm
And p.s. Your statement that "anyone and everyone" involved in drug trafficking is armed to the teeth isn't accurate. Arrests of drug traffickers traveling with massive amounts of drugs between TX and FL are made frequently on our I-20 pipeline, and they very rarely, if ever, caught with weapons. The weapons traffickers, on the other hand, are often caught with drugs.
This makes sense. For drug traffickers, weapons might draw attention to the drugs.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:57 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 pm
And p.s. Your statement that "anyone and everyone" involved in drug trafficking is armed to the teeth isn't accurate. Arrests of drug traffickers traveling with massive amounts of drugs between TX and FL are made frequently on our I-20 pipeline, and they very rarely, if ever, caught with weapons. The weapons traffickers, on the other hand, are often caught with drugs.
This makes sense. For drug traffickers, weapons might draw attention to the drugs.
It's also a pretty serious sentence enhancement.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am

Danraft wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am
Silly question. But is was pondering... it is a male thing predominantly. Generally not the most popular young men. The majority (?) seem to get into the combat weapons, fatigues etc. They rarely seem into team sports.
What stuck out to me was that while they romanticize battle gear, etc., none seem to be really into it. I mean to say that I haven't notice ROTC types- am I wrong about that?
And, there are plenty of Paintgun groups to do fake battle with, even Laser Tag.
But, they don't seem inclined to that either.
Seems to be a non-sequitor?
Loneliness? Feeling wronged?
Pinpoint examples, Dan, and thought-provoking questions.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Return to “Congress”