Benghazi Hearings & House Select Subcommittee

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]New York Times,http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/world ... .html?_r=0[/link]

Ms. Feinstein declined to offer any assessments on flawed intelligence or security lapses related to the attack, saying that the panel intended to hold two additional closed hearings, then produce a set of unclassified findings that would be presented in a public hearing.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

[link]New York Times,http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/world ... .html?_r=0[/link]

Ms. Feinstein declined to offer any assessments on flawed intelligence or security lapses related to the attack, saying that the panel intended to hold two additional closed hearings, then produce a set of unclassified findings that would be presented in a public hearing.So do any of these pig bastards who complain about not having information intend to show up for these hearings? Or is showing up on Fox "News" to complain about not being given information a more important activity for these pig bastards?

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

:-k #-o :dontwanttolook:
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

I've looked and looked and can't find what should be there -- the Nov 15th CSPAN video of the House hearing on "Benghazi and Beyond". Just a self-serving youtube by the Rethug chair claiming all manner of outrageous administration failings.Anybody?Found it!It's got like 17 wasted minutes before it starts but it's all there, I think at[/break1]house.gov/hearings/view/?1478]http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/hearing ... 78[edit]It ends at 2 hours although the hearing appears ongoing. :evil:[/edit]

Curious Blue

Post by Curious Blue »

The Republicans just outright lie about what has been said anyway.Here's a good article about what really happened:[/break1]com/daily/intel/2012/11/petraeus-benghazi-testimony-reveals-conspiracy.html]http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/11/pe ... iracy.htmlThe recently resigned spy chief explained that references to terrorist groups suspected of carrying out the violence were removed from the public explanation of what caused the attack so as not to tip off the groups that the U.S. intelligence community was on their trail. ..."There was an interagency process to draft it, not a political process," Schiff said. "They came up with the best assessment without compromising classified information or source or methods. [highlight]So changes were made to protect classified information.[/highlight]"So there was a conspiracy ... to catch the terrorists.

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]Politico,http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico- ... html?hp=r3[/link]

Rogers: No intel failure in Benghazi

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers said Sunday that he’s sure there was no intelligence failure in response to the attacks in Benghazi that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Rogers, in his first public comments to the press since multiple rounds of classified briefings with top intelligence officials on Capitol Hill, said intelligence officials had accurately determined almost immediately after the Sept. 11 attacks that terrorists were behind the assault.

“I’ll tell you, with a high degree of confidence today, there was no intelligence failure,” the Michigan Republican said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “They had it right, and they had it right early.”

The problem came, according to Rogers, when the final set of unclassified talking points emerged and references to potential terrorist activity were removed, instead blaming a “spontaneous” demonstration on an anti-Islam film. ...

“There was only one thing that was changed … and that was, the word ‘consulate’ was changed to ‘mission,’” Feinstein said. “That’s the only change that anyone in the White House made, and I have checked this out.”

borealis

Post by borealis »

I was discussing Senator MCCain's Benghazi obsession with someone whose father had a job with the LBJ administration yesterday. HE seemed to really know his politics. He said McCain's term as senior-ranking Senate member of the foreign affairs committee will be over this year. The only thing he has to look forward to now is the Indian Affairs Committee which would sideline him from public view. HE wants a special committee to investigate Benghazi so he take charge of it for the next four years.

ducktape

Post by ducktape »

I was discussing Senator MCCain's Benghazi obsession with someone whose father had a job with the LBJ administration yesterday. HE seemed to really know his politics. He said McCain's term as senior-ranking Senate member of the foreign affairs committee will be over this year. The only thing he has to look forward to now is the Indian Affairs Committee which would sideline him from public view. HE wants a special committee to investigate Benghazi so he take charge of it for the next four years.Apparently, Harry Reid has told him that it isn't going to happen, which pisses McCain off even more.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

I was discussing Senator MCCain's Benghazi obsession with someone whose father had a job with the LBJ administration yesterday. HE seemed to really know his politics. He said McCain's term as senior-ranking Senate member of the foreign affairs committee will be over this year. The only thing he has to look forward to now is the Indian Affairs Committee which would sideline him from public view. HE wants a special committee to investigate Benghazi so he take charge of it for the next four years.I was seeing that elsewhere as well. The old man ought to take his bitter old loser self home and retire with some semblance of grace (with whatever tatters of that are still available to him).And Graham? Oooh, I'd like to see him brought up short and grabbed by the short hairs and raked over the coals of political and security reality and made to squeal like the two-faced pussy he is.(No insults to others not named herein meant)

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

I was discussing Senator MCCain's Benghazi obsession with someone whose father had a job with the LBJ administration yesterday. HE seemed to really know his politics. He said McCain's term as senior-ranking Senate member of the foreign affairs committee will be over this year. The only thing he has to look forward to now is the Indian Affairs Committee which would sideline him from public view. HE wants a special committee to investigate Benghazi so he take charge of it for the next four years.I was seeing that elsewhere as well. The old man ought to take his bitter old loser self home and retire with some semblance of grace (with whatever tatters of that are still available to him).And Graham? Oooh, I'd like to see him brought up short and grabbed by the short hairs and raked over the coals of political and security reality and made to squeal like the two-faced pussy he is.(No insults to others not named herein meant)Be careful what you wish for. Sen Graham will pussyfoot with the Teabaggers in hope of not being primaried similar to Sen Lugar. If Graham is replaced in the Senate, it's not likely to be anyone remotely similar to Joe Donnelly.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

True. It might be Stephan Colbert. I hear he's got a SuperPAC and the other Shhh!Pacs already set up and loaded with pre-laundered funds that he could use for anything he wants. I would like to see him take Graham's seat.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
True. It might be Stephan Colbert. I hear he's got a SuperPAC and the other Shhh!Pacs already set up and loaded with pre-laundered funds that he could use for anything he wants. I would like to see him take Graham's seat.Steve shut the PAC down last week with some fancy, totally legal, money laundering.
Edit: [com]421160[/com]
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]CNN,http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/1 ... community/[/link]

Official: Changes to Benghazi talking points made by intel community ...

The intelligence community - not the White House, State Department or Justice Department - was responsible for the substantive changes made to the talking points distributed for government officials who spoke publicly about the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, the spokesman for the director of national intelligence said Monday.

The unclassified talking points on Libya, developed several days after the the deadly attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, were not substantively changed by any agency outside of the intelligence community, according to the spokesman, Shawn Turner.

Republican criticism of the talking points intensified last Friday following a closed door hearing with former CIA Director David Petraeus. ...

The unclassified talking points were first developed by the CIA at the request of the House Intelligence Committee, whose members wanted to know what they could say publicly about the Benghazi attack.

The initial version included information linking individuals involved in the attack to al Qaeda, according to a senior U.S. official familiar with the drafting of the talking points But when the document was sent to the rest of the intelligence community for review, there was a decision to change "al Qaeda" to "extremists." The official said the change was made for legitimate intelligence and legal reasons, not for political purposes.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Is McCain using the Susan Rice issue to relaunch the repug war on women?[/break1]usatoday.com/story/opinion/2012/11/19/john-mccain-benghazi-susan-rice-libya/1712435/]USA Today -ut now, seven years later -- with the Democrat who dealt him a landslide defeat in 2008 still in the White House -- McCain ignores those words and threatens to use the Senate's arcane procedural rules to stop that body from voting on Rice, should Obama nominate her for the top State Department job. In this effort, Graham is his wingman.But in going after Obama in this way, they run the risk of opening an even wider gap between the Republican Party and women, 55% of whom voted for Obama in his lopsided victory this year over GOP candidate Mitt Romney. A dozen female members of the House of Representatives drove home that point when they held a news conference to accuse McCain and Graham of being sexist and racist in their attack on Rice, who is black.While the two Republican senators might prevail in keeping Rice from becoming secretary of State -- either by forestalling her nomination or blocking a Senate confirmation vote -- their opposition to her almost certainly will be seen by many others as proof of a GOP war on women.And that will cost Republicans dearly at the polls.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

McCain is still quite butthurt about losing so badly in 2008 along with his severely damaged judgement skills evidenced by picking Snowball Snookie as a running mate.Damn that man hates women...
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

Not being in a close relationship with the truth or facts, it is UNsurprising that Repubs would continue their attacks on Amb. Rice. At this point, their egos are also too involved to admit that they shot from the hip and hit their own toe!!!

Let's review:

1) Amb Susan Rice passed on the unclassified talking points.

NO UNAUTHORIZED LYING THERE! (Look, we're talking CIA here. They LIE for a living!)

Any DA would drop McCain's charges on this count. Any judge would dismiss that case.

2) Insufficient security for the Ambassador.

Turns out, according to Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger (Dem-CA) on Face The Nation, that the Ambassador's security team got to him and evacuated others.

BUT THE AMBASSADOR REFUSED OR CHOSE NOT TO LEAVE.

THAT is not a lack of security.

CASE DISMISSED!!

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]Talking Points Memo,http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... n-benghazi[/link]

GOP Senators Not Backing Down On Benghazi

Sens. John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) sat down with U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice in a closed-door meeting on Tuesday to discuss the administration's response to the attacks in Benghazi, Libya earlier this year. Rice did not appear to soothe their concerns.

"I'm more disturbed now than I was before," Graham told reporters following the meeting. "I think it does not do justice to the reality at the time and in hindsight clearly was completely wrong. But here's the key, in realtime, it was a statement disconnected from reality."

Graham added that he was disappointed with the intelligence community for providing the administration with the talking points which Rice used in the days following the attack, but ultimately faulted Rice and Obama for presenting it to the American people. ...

Asked whether she could support Rice as a possible replacement for Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, Sen. Ayotte added that she "had many more questions that need to be answered."

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Senator Graham seems to have forgotten all the really, really, really BAD information given to the American people in the rush to convince us to approve the Cheney/Bush/NeoCon Wars. Someone should remind him about BAD intelligence cooked for political purposes and presented over and over by the Bush White House.Rachel said the the interim Director of the CIA was accompanying Ambassador Rice to this meeting. There was no mention of him in this report. Was he there or not?If the Obama White House had done as Graham is saying they should have, he would still be just as critical or more about hiding information from the American people. He goes on and on about 'real time' and 'reality' and yet he seems to be the one disconnected. At the end of his little rant, he finally got to what was eating him. The Rice appearances were' 3 weeks before the election.' Of course, he, McCain and Ayotte were looking for something to use to attack the president with 3 weeks before the election and they somehow want to invalidate the election anyway they can.The presentation that Rice made was not something that was going to change or influence anything in those few days until the reports became more precise and detailed about what happened in Benghazi. Who was 'mislead' in any substantive way or that would have made any difference one way another. I could see a beef if it was purposeful deception for nefarious purposes as in past deceptions by earlier administration I don't see any of those elements here. He's providing fodder for the FOX propaganda mill and nothing more. It's like Graham's mouth itself is offended by the twisted BS that comes out of it. They are not going to let up. It looks like McCain and Graham are grooming Kelly Ayotte for future greatness as a party leader.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Apparently, he was, Esseff.Graham, who spoke alongside Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., following a [link]closed door meeting with Rice and acting CIA Director Michael Morell on Capitol Hill this morning,http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-5 ... with-rice/[/link], continued to target Rice for her September 16 characterization of the attacks in Libya, which resulted in the deaths of four Americans.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

It strikes me that Graham and company can say things that Rice and Morell cannot directly refute without getting into classified information. They do us a great disservice to subjugate national security to their political agenda.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

^^^^^Hear, hear!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Ambassador Rice is a woman ?( Ambassador Rice is not white ?( Ambassador Rice took a doctoral degree from an institution outside the U.S. ?( Ambassador Rice was never a member of "The Family" ?(
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

editorkorir

Post by editorkorir »

Fox expected author Tom Ricks ( The Generals) would criticize Obama,Rice and Benghazi. When the host asked the Benghazi question [link]Ricks,http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 50296.html[/link] "blasted the network as "operating as a wing of the Republican Party” and accused it of hyping the Benghazi attack for political purposes". [link]Great 44 seconds of TV,http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 50296.html[/link].

Fox's response is to call Ricks a liar, claiming he apologized [link]after the interview,http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 50376.html[/link],... ([link]Ricks denies this,http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 50382.html[/link]) Fox is not responding to Rick's claim he spoke to anchor Bret Baier, not network execs, after the interview. The truth really hurts over there.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Ambassador Rice is a woman ?( Ambassador Rice is not white ?( Ambassador Rice took a doctoral degree from an institution outside the U.S. ?( Ambassador Rice was never a member of "The Family" ?(Ambassador Rice does not have a Chevron super tanker named after her. ?( Ambassador Rice is not a board member of Chevron, Transamerica, Hewlett-Packard. ?( Ambassador Rice is not a Senior Fellow of the Hoover Institution. ?( Ambassador Rice was not a protege of George Shultz / Bush I and II. ?( Ambassador Rice has not given her approval of torture in CIA interrogations. ?( Ambassador Rice is not on the Board of Charles Schwab. ?( Ambassador Rice does not talk about smoking guns becoming mushroom clouds. ?(Ambassador Rice is not on the boards of a broad array of corporate giants with giant international interests and footprints. ?(

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

So, Senator Graham is going to try to block anyone who had anything to do with Benghazi from Senate approval. Just all the more reason to change the Senate rules when they get the chance. He's foaming at the mad rabidly insane. McCain is a senile artifact. What's Ayotte's excuse?[/break1]yahoo.com/senators-wont-support-rice-until-libya-questions-resolved-162116177.html]http://news.yahoo.com/senators-wont-sup ... 16177.html

Return to “Congress”