Benghazi Hearings & House Select Subcommittee

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]NBC News: First Read,http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012 ... back?lite=[/link]

Benghazi hearing turns ugly: Republicans accuse Obama of lying, Dems fire back

A House Foreign Affairs hearing on "Benghazi and Beyond" quickly turned into a shouting and accusations forum.

It began when Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) said this: "What is clear is that this administration, including the president himself, has intentionally misinformed, read that LIED, to the American people in the aftermath of this tragedy. Now President Obama has the gall to float the name as possibly secretary of State, the name of the person who is the actual vehicle used to misinform the American people during this crisis." ...

Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-NY) unloaded, first sarcastically: "Let's just hang the guilty parties."

"The stench of hypocrisy that hangs over this city today emanates from this room," Ackerman said. "I've listened to my colleagues talk about the President of the United States and others in the administration using [the] terms 'deliberate', 'lies', 'unmitigated gall', 'malfeasance,' which is malicious and knowing evil-doing, 'disgust', 'coverups'."

He continued, "If you want to know who is responsible in this town, buy yourself a mirror!"

Ackerman went on to say that Republicans had "the audacity to come here" when the administration requested, for worldwide security, "$440 million more than you guys wanted to provide. And the answer is that you damn didn't provide it! You REDUCED what the administration asked for to protect these people. Ask not who the guilty party is, it's you! It is us. It is this committee, and the things that we insist that we need have to cost money."
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Piffle

Post by Piffle »

Groan. I just hate this Benghazi crap.I'm afraid it's already becoming one of those wink-and-nod troofs that nutters like to share -- even though there is no factual support for anything approaching a conspiracy whatsoever.I'll bet that during the last four years, only a handful of Sean Hannity shows failed to mention Bill Ayres and/or Reverend Wright and I have a feeling that he's going to be working in "Benghazi" for months if not years to come.

Addie

Post by Addie »

At least the Dems let them have it good :boxing:

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I'm saying again, what Birthers were for the last 4 years, the Bengazms are gonna be for the next 4.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]Foreign Policy,http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts ... n_benghazi[/link]

Republicans skip Benghazi hearing; complain about lack of information on Benghazi ...

But although McCain had time to speak on the Senate floor and on television about the lack of information provided to Congress about the attack, he didn't attend the classified briefing for senators Wednesday given to the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, of which he is a member.

Committee ranking Republican Susan Collins (R-ME) called out McCain for skipping the briefing and said his call for a special committee to investigate the Benghazi attack was not necessary because the Homeland Security committee could handle it.

Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI), "who was there at briefing, and Senator McCain, who was not, are members of our committee, and I know they would play very important roles," Collins told Politico.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), another Homeland Security committee member who was on television complaining about the lack of Benghazi information, also did not show up for the Wednesday hearing. Paul did a CNN interview from the Capitol building Wednesday in which said he had questions about the anti-Islam video, the lack of Marines in Libya, and diplomatic security. At one point he says, "I don't know enough of the details."

The closed and classified briefing included representatives from the State Department, the Defense Department, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the National Counterterrorism Center, and the FBI, an administration official said. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee held a classified hearing on Benghazi on Tuesday and the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence will hold one Thursday, but McCain and Paul are not members of either of those committees.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Take a look at the GOP members of this committee[/break1]house.gov/about/]http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/about/Jean Schmidt, Joe Wilson ...
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Berman will be going; Sherman will be staying. Ron Paul and Connie Mack will be going. Pence is leaving to be Governor of Indiana. Other changes?What a horrible mess!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Berman will be going; Sherman will be staying. Ron Paul and Connie Mack will be going. Pence is leaving to be Governor of Indiana. Other changes?What a horrible mess!Corrupt fucker David Rivera is out.

editorkorir

Post by editorkorir »

I'm saying again, what Birthers were for the last 4 years, the Bengazms are gonna be for the next 4.Fogbow Benghazi Meetup "Boots On The Ground Sand" will have a whole new meaning.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

McCain apparently "suspended" his attendance too.CNN’s Dana Bash reported on air that McCain, when questioned by a producer on the subject on Capitol Hill, not only refused to answer, but grew “very angry": I have to tell you something that just happened on Capitol Hill, and that is our Senate producer Ted Barrett just ran into John McCain and asked about something that we're hearing from Democrats, which is John McCain is calling for more information to Congress, but he had a press conference yesterday instead of going to a closed briefing where administration officials were giving more information. Well, Ted Barrett asked John McCain about that, and it was apparently an intense, very angry exchange and McCain simply would not comment on it at all.[/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/john-mccain-benghazi-briefing_n_2138973.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... 38973.html

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Senators McCain and Graham are going to find themselves out on a limb with no way to crawl down. McCain is not looking like a maverick but an senile old grump who didn't get his toast toasted to the color he wanted and his boiled egg was over cooked. So, he wants to fire the cook and kill the chicken that laid the egg.

borealis

Post by borealis »

I wanted to call McCain after he said the President was either stupid or incompetent regarding the potential appointment of Ambassador Rice to Secretary of State. He also called Rice dumb. When you consider Rice is a Rhodes Scholar with a Ph.D., I can only think ...Sekrit Stuffs!
http://www.loriferber.com/media/catalog ... e_2.jpgYou really have to wonder who the REAL INCOMPETENT is.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I'm afraid the mavericky senator has left it too long to retire with dignity. He no longer resembles a maverick, if he ever did, but more a mustang, and not the front half. :mrgreen: I've never bought the maverick label. It's just another way to say spoiled brat.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]BuzzFeed,http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/rep ... ut-keep-fo[/link]

Republicans Tone Down Attacks On Susan Rice, Keep Focus On Benghazi

WASHINGTON, DC — Senate Republicans Friday appeared to shift positions on the assault on the American consulate in Benghazi, moving away from political attacks on Ambassador Susan Rice to calls for further inquiries into substantive issues relating to security and intelligence gathering.

For weeks Republicans have hammered Rice for claiming the attack was in response to an anti-Islam YouTube video during a Sunday show appearance following the incident.

Democrats have bitterly complained that the assault on Rice, who they say was just repeating a CIA briefing — and whom President Barack Obama appears dead set on nominating as Secretary of State. Her defenders call the attacks purely political in nature, pointing out that her comments have resulted in no policy changes and that she was working with the information provided by the intelligence community.

"Increasingly the focus is going to be on the fact that despite a growing and significant amount of information being provided to the state department about the growing risk in the Benghazi area, they did not take adequate enough security measures," Sen. Marco Rubio said bluntly after a closed-door hearing with former CIA chief Gen. David Petraeus. "I think that’s what the growing amount of inquiry should be about in the coming days.”

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

[link]BuzzFeed,http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/rep ... ut-keep-fo[/link]

Republicans Tone Down Attacks On Susan Rice, Keep Focus On Benghazi

WASHINGTON, DC — Senate Republicans Friday appeared to shift positions on the assault on the American consulate in Benghazi, moving away from political attacks on Ambassador Susan Rice to calls for further inquiries into substantive issues relating to security and intelligence gathering.It would be nice if they combined their so-called "focus" on Benghazi to things like, y'know, actually showing up for the executive sessions supposedly convened for giving these morons the classified information they want to misuse.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Wouldn't it though.

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe »

My comments on MaddowBlog earlier today, just FYI.The first was in reply to a RWNJ troll, but you get the gist...[*:3r5gyjlw]Her [Rice's] statement just coincidentally echoed the CIA talking points almost word for word.[*:3r5gyjlw]He [Petraeus] knew "it" was terrorism? Define "it". She was talking about "the demonstrations". Are you asserting "the demonstrations" were terrorism, and that not only everyone now knows it, but "everyone" knew it then? Because that would be, you know, idiotic.[*:3r5gyjlw]Watergate? You people are laughable. Open a history book. Watergate was about directly conspiring to use secret and illegal powers of the executive to flout campaign finance laws, influence the election, and sabotage the opposition party. And yes, cover it up. But the original crimes were worse than the coverup. Moron.[*:3r5gyjlw]There is no crime and no cover-up w.r.t. Benghazi. None. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. There's just a bunch whiny crybabies who object to the fact that foreign policy analysts don't know every damn thing every damn second of an international crisis, and don't feel obliged to reveal sensitive diplomatic measures while in the middle of that crisis -- the same whiny crybabies who shriek when they think sensitive information HAS been divulged.[*:3r5gyjlw]This is just a spiteful partisan pack-attack in a vain and wasteful attempt to hamper the administration in its duties. These people are disgraceful.Oh for god's sake. Doesn't anybody have a brain any more?[*:3r5gyjlw]These statements go through draft after draft and are fine tuned in real time while adjusting to myriad crisis factors. They might have suspected a premeditated terrorist action -- ANYBODY with HALF a BRAIN would -- but they wouldn't put it in a talking point unless they were closer to sure.[*:3r5gyjlw]And even THEN they might not put it in a talking point, because there are other factors in play. They were dealing with the Libyan government which is very precarious. They've helped to get rid of Khaddafi, started to turn around a country that has been perennially anti-American, a haven for terrorists, and a national security threat, and started to make an ally. You all don't think there isn't some 12-dimensional chess going on here?[*:3r5gyjlw]And the Repubs won't let that happen will they. They would rather the foreign policy in Libya fail. They would rather that this incident, rather than die down, flare up. They would RATHER have a terrorist attack, and another, and another. Nothing would make them happier. And they cloak it all in faux horror and grief that "Americans died." It sure would have been nice to have the same concern for "Americans" before going to war in Iraq, or during the crash of 2008. Hypocrites.

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]Steve Benen,http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/ ... sails?lite[/link]

Petraeus takes the wind from conspiracy theorists' sails ...

But over the last day or so, the right has stumbled upon a new micro-scandal: the original CIA draft materials referenced specific suspected terrorists, but their names were removed and replaced with the word "extremist" in the final draft.

"A ha!" the conspiracy theorists proclaim. "This proves Obama's people hid key details! It's clear evidence of ... something!" [link]It's really not,http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/11 ... ttack.html[/link].

Ex-CIA Director David Petraeus told lawmakers Friday that classified intelligence showed the deadly raid on the U.S. Consulate in Libya was a terrorist attack, but that the administration withheld the suspected role of specific al-Qaida affiliates to avoid tipping off the terrorist groups.

The recently resigned spy chief explained that references to terrorist groups suspected of carrying out the violence were removed from the public explanation of what caused the attack so as not to tip off the groups that the U.S. intelligence community was on their trail, according to lawmakers who attended the private briefings.Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) noted that Petraeus "was adamant there was no politicization of the process, no White House interference or political agenda. He completely debunked that idea."

The names of terrorists believed to be involved were removed for reasons of national security, and all of the relevant intelligence agencies signed off on the edited text. As Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.) explained to the AP, "n an unclassified document you want to be careful who you identify as being involved."

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I forget where, but somewhere on the webz I pointed out that I don't see a single Republican talking about tracking down the actual terrorists who actually killed the four Americans in Benghazi.All I see is Republicans trying to track down the President of the United States of America. Unpatriotic, unAmerican pieces of dog crap, in other words.
In my language, "raining hard" means almost the exact opposite of "hardly raining". :shock:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Addie

Post by Addie »

Good job, Verbie :-bd

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

There's just a bunch whiny crybabies who object to the fact that foreign policy analysts don't know every damn thing every damn second of an international crisis, and don't feel obliged to reveal sensitive diplomatic measures while in the middle of that crisis -- the same whiny crybabies who [highlight]shriek[/highlight] when they think sensitive information HAS been divulged.You know, I have seen that word so frequently misspelled that I, for a millisecond, spotted that as a misspelling, before I was amazed that someone had actually spelled it correctly.I before e, except. . .oh wait, that works.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

I've looked and looked and can't find what should be there -- the Nov 15th CSPAN video of the House hearing on "Benghazi and Beyond". Just a self-serving youtube by the Rethug chair claiming all manner of outrageous administration failings.Anybody?
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Wasn't it classified?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

poutine

Post by poutine »

Senators McCain and Graham are going to find themselves out on a limb with no way to crawl down. McCain is not looking like a maverick but an senile old grump who didn't get his toast toasted to the color he wanted and his boiled egg was over cooked. So, he wants to fire the cook and kill the chicken that laid the egg.As I declared to my girlfriend this morning (she's met Cindy a few times, John spoke at her college commencement, and she's a big fan of them mainly for personal reasons), today was my tipping point on John McCain. I've had it. Since 2004 I have passionately defended him to Arizonans and non-Arizonans alike. I voted for him in 2004, hoped he would win the Republican nomination in 2008 and even considered joining his campaign if I didn't like the Democratic nominee, and I voted for him in 2010 even though by that time he had stopped taking any positions that remotely resembled my views of the issues whatsoever. Now he wants to run around like a doddering old fool blathering on about some non-existent conspiracy in Benghazi, all the while our nation faces serious problems ranging from tax policies to immigration reform and our federal budget. And then he skips a security briefing he was invited to? Because of a scheduling mishap? WTF?I'm done, John McCain. You're making an ass of yourself at this point, and of our state. Please stop.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Wasn't it classified?Shouldn't a been. See the earlier post here linking and quoting NBC story talking about the nasty stuff being said and Rep Ackerman's response about hanging 'em all.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Return to “Congress”