Democrats Behaving Badly

Jim

Re: Democrats Behaving Badly

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm
WTF is wrong with these people?
They let the wrong head do the thinking for them.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Seriously, it's not "these people." Harassment of women and the crossing of boundaries and outright abuse has been accepted in our culture as long as we've had a culture. People know it happens--in the workplace, in school, in the community--and they know (or knew) that they can't do anything about it. As has been pointed out, the blame is put on the women if she complains.

Think than any guy you like and admire is without guilt at your peril. I'm not saying "all men" by any means. I'm saying "any man". And not because they are predators. Some are just dudes who crossed the line without even knowing it. I put Franken in this group. I mean, have none of you ever been involved in the performing arts? Performance extroverts are up for anything. If we condemn Franken, there is no one who is safe.

I keep thinking I should just make a list of the dozens and dozens of casual harassment and abuse I witnessed from high school and beyond. Not to mention the part of the culture where boys having it drilled into their heads that they have to be pushy because girls always say no, or they are allowed to touch and slap and pinch because it is their right as boys.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Unfortunately, it's not just our culture. There are certainly countries where there's much, much less of this treatment of women (Scandinavian countries come to mind), but there are many countries scattered around the planet where it's as bad as here or worse.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Daily Beast
FBI Investigates Congressman for His Campaign Paying Opponent to Quit

The FBI said it is investigating Rep. Bob Brady (D-PA) for an alleged scheme to pay his primary opponent to drop out of a 2012 race against him and for allegedly lying to investigators.

The revelation came from a search warrant application unsealed in a Pennsylvania federal court on Monday, which was first reported by Seamus Hughes. An FBI agent asked a judge to authorize access to Brady’s personal email account on the belief it holds evidence contradicting an anticipated defense about the campaign payments. The judge approved the warrant and the FBI said it got one CD worth of data from the e-mail account.

Brady’s congressional office in Washington, D.C. could not be reached for comment. Brady has not been charged with a crime.

Jimmie Moore ended his campaign for the Democratic nomination in February 2012 after allegedly receiving $90,000 from the Brady campaign. The FBI said the payments were routed from the Brady campaign to businesses owned by his aides. Then the money was transferred to one of Moore’s aides, who used it to pay for services rendered to the Moore campaign.

“The payments were routed in this manner so that the FEC reports filed by the Brady and Moore campaigns would not show that Brady had made a payment to his primary opponent in violation of FECA [Federal Election Campaign Act] contribution limits,” the affidavit states.
Adding:
Newsweek: Congressman Overseeing Sexual Harassment Settlements Investigated By FBI For Campaign Fraud ...

The charges of campaign fraud are notable because Brady also oversees the Congressional committee that has jurisdiction over raising, reporting, and using campaign contributions for House candidates. Brady is also the chair of the Democratic Party of Philadelphia, which financially aides local candidates.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm going to quote the whole thing here.
(Somd good puns in there)
BRATT:
Gentlemen! Gentlemen!

A secretary is not a toy,
No my boy;
Not a toy to fondle and dandle
And playfully handle
In search of some puerile joy.
No, a secretary is not,
Definitely not a toy.

3 MALES:
You're absolutely right, Mr. Bratt!
We wouldn't have any other way, Mr. Bratt!
It's a company rule, Mr. Bratt!

MALE ENSEMBLE:
A secretary is not a toy,
No my boy,
not a toy.

So do not go jumping for joy,

MALE ENSEMBLE:
Boy! A secretary is not...
A secretary is not,
A secretary is not ...a toy,

FEMALE ENSEMBLE:
A secretary is not to be
Used for play therapy.

COMPANY:
Be good to the girl you employ, boy;
Remember, no matter what
Neurotic trouble you've got,
A secretary is not ...a toy.

She's a highly specialized key
Component of operation unity...
A fine and sensitive mechanism
To serve the office community
With a mother at home
She supports.

FRUMP:
And you'll find nothing like her at F.A.O. Schwartz!

SMITTY:
A secretary is not a pet,
Nor an erector set.

FRUMP & SMITTY:
It happened to Charlie McCoy, boy!
They fired him a shot
The day the fellow forgot
A secretary is not... A toy!

COMPANY:
(Whistling)
A secretary is not...A toy!

And when you put it to use,
Observe,
When you put her to use:

FRUMP:
That you don't find the name Lionel
on her caboose!

FEMALE ENSEMBLE:
A secretary is not a thing
One buy key, hold by string

Her pad...
Is to write in,
And not spend the night in
If that's what you plan to enjoy.
No!

COMPANY:
The secretary you got,
Is definitely not
Employed to do a gavotte,
Or you know what,
Before you jump for joy,
Remember this my boy,
A secretary is not,
A tinker toy!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 pm

How to Succeed in Bidness.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 am

SLQ wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:58 pm
Quite simply: Because they could. The culture allowed it. Let's hope that truly changes.
Not ONLY that they COULD, but that they COULD GET AWAY WITH IT. The usual result of a charge/complaint like that would have been ridicule derision of the party making the charge. I will hope that is changing but you never know.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

I'm not as hopeful that this will all change everything in the long run, but I'm hoping to be wrong.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am
I'm not as hopeful that this will all change everything in the long run, but I'm hoping to be wrong.
Nothing is going to change. Republicans are weaponizing the #MeToo movement. The very credible allegations against people like Roy Moore, Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, and others are going to get lost because of things like a totally fake twitter account accusing Blumenthal and questionable accusations against Franken. And we will go right back to disbelieving allegations that are actually credible.

Oh, and there's this.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am

RVInit wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am
Oh, and there's this.

How come these surveyors/purveyors of opinion never call me? (Is the Fogbow surveilled? :eek2: )

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am
(Is the Fogbow surveilled? :eek2: )
No, I'm the only one who can use the camera on your computer to spy on you. :mrgreen:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am
(Is the Fogbow surveilled? :eek2: )
No, I'm the only one who can use the camera on your computer to spy on you. :mrgreen:
Pshew!!! I feel SO much better!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm

:nooo:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 pm
Now that more is coming out, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm not defending him but, after seeing the new videos and the photog saying it was staged, it sounds like it's at least plausible a hit was planned. That said, it doesn't excuse Franken's poor judgement re: the photo. He's smarter than that. It's like telling your mom you were just holding that nickle bag for a friend.
For the people who planned this I think a weight and sea approach is most appropriate.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am

I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist. After noodling around in various threads (what can I say; I woke up early and am tired), it struck me as interesting that the revelations about Franken (which I still find off) not only came out after those about Moore and are a great distraction, but also after people had pointed out that he'd sharply questioned Sessions in October. Just saying.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Boston Globe
Former state senator Brian Joyce indicted on federal charges

Former state senator Brian A. Joyce was charged in a federal indictment Friday with using his Senate office as a front to collect about $1 million in bribes and kickbacks that were laundered through his law firm, along with getting hundreds of pounds of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee for free.

The 102-page indictment charges Joyce with “honest services mail fraud” for violating his oath of office, corruption, extortion, racketeering, and IRS charges including money laundering and embezzlement.

Acting US Attorney William Weinreb estimated that the scheme netted the former Democratic lawmaker about $1 million. “Brian Joyce represented over 100,000 Massachusetts citizens in the state legislature,’’ he told reporters. “He had a duty to serve them honestly. And he violated that duty by accepting bribes and kickbacks in exchange for his official action.”

The investigation took two years to complete and Weinreb indicated the trigger for the federal inquiry was a series of stories by the Boston Globe, the first of which was published in 2015.

¡Sterngard! come home.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am
I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist. After noodling around in various threads (what can I say; I woke up early and am tired), it struck me as interesting that the revelations about Franken (which I still find off) not only came out after those about Moore and are a great distraction, but also after people had pointed out that he'd sharply questioned Sessions in October. Just saying.
I think he was railroaded. And there's no guarantee that a Democrat would win his seat next year. Clinton only won the state by about 1 1/2 percent. I wonder what the Democrats who pushed him to leave will feel about losing another Senate seat?

He had asked for an investigation. I think he was owed that.

:x

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm

How much of an investigation is Roy Moore owed? What about Trent Franks?

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Former state senator Brian Joyce indicted on federal charges
Joyce is also accused of collecting hundreds of pounds of coffee — along with $125,089 in “purported legal fees” — from a Dunkin’ Donuts franchisee. On one occasion in 2015, he collected 504 pounds of coffee, worth an estimated $4,278, for free, authorities allege.
Dude likes his Dunkin'....

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I agree. I don't like the way this was handled.
AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

He had asked for an investigation. I think he was owed that.

:x

¡Sterngard! come home.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Gillibrand is getting severely beaten up in social media and there are lots of comments along the lines of "Democrats eating their own", "I won't vote Democrat any more", "I will vote for anyone rather than Gillibrand", etc.

Lots of them remind me of typical misogynist remarks - she's an opportunist, etc. We have a long way to go before any behavior by a woman is viewed in the same light as behavior by a man. The number of comments that Paul Ryan is an opportunist for telling Franks he needs to step down = 0. Not one have I seen. Of course, Ryan did not do this in public, he did it quietly, but still, it's out there that he did this.

It's very discouraging. Democrats were damned if they did and damned if they didn't regarding Franken. Why does that never seem to happen to Republicans? I just don't get how a party can be so devoid of any semblance of ethics and not seem to pay for it. At all.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm

It's very discouraging. Democrats were damned if they did and damned if they didn't regarding Franken. Why does that never seem to happen to Republicans? I just don't get how a party can be so devoid of any semblance of ethics and not seem to pay for it. At all.
:bighug: Eyes on the prize, sistah. It was always gonna be messy. I sent Kirsten G, who is my senator, two emails and a twitter response telling her she had it wrong on Franken. Then I posted a story about her being great on gun rights else on my facebook page. R's of 2000 - 2020 are 100% soulless grifters; you can't shame them.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 pm

I've been too busy (major move coming up soon) and too tired (still recovering from multiple surgeries) to post much on the sexist politician threads, but I have been very troubled about how the Dems are going about it. Read the rightwing articles & comments about Dems being rapists and pedophiles - obviously, cuz they get booted out when accusers come forth. But the GOP guys rarely get booted because the accusers are proven liars. That fact that the party doesn't boot them out is the proof that the accusers lied. (Yes, that's the logic.)

If the intent is to get more support for Dems by how they are handling matters, I don't think it's working. It's more like tarring and feathering than the the pursuit of justice.

Dems/BernieBros openly blaming Clinton for creating bad behavior also fuels the right's self-righteousness. This claim pisses me off. Clinton didn't create sexism and nonspousal sex in the WH - it's been there from the beginning. He was just the first publicly busted for it. Bush appeared with his not-wife for many years. Open secret in WDC and elsewhere. Yet when anyone brought up the double standard, they were shamed and shut down. And now seven women (so far) have openly stated that Bush grabbed their butts. In one photo that was released, his hand is clearly wrapped around the woman's okole. But Bush is still defended, not damned - he's old, in a wheelchair, hand slipped, whatever. However, one woman was a teenager in 2003 when it happened. Bush was not in a wheelchair back then. <crickets>

I'll close with the suggestion that not all behavior is equal, and some people mature, change, take responsibility, and are worth rehabilitating and keeping. Where is the process for that? So far, the process seems to be scorched earth (for Dems only). Perhaps a reconciliation process should be considered for those willing to confront their pasts as was done in South Africa. "... to enable [people] to come to terms with their past on a morally accepted basis and to advance the cause of reconciliation."

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:59 pm

:like:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:18 pm

I agree. And FFS why do the Dems have to openly chastise while Paul Ryan quietly does it behind closed doors. This is the reason Republicans mop the fricken floor with Dems. I get wanting to do the right thing, but be smart about it.

Watch what Sansa tells Jon in Game of Thrones. She says about her father and brother Robb that she loved them, she does, but there is a reason they both got their heads chopped off. You have to be smarter about it. Gillibrand's BS was a clusterfuck of major proportions.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Congress”