Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Why is Holocaust Denial Still A Thing?

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It makes people feel smart and fighting the establishment who mandates a lie to the world. Like COLUMBUS!! (Who was wrong and everyone told him the world was a globe.) And GALILEO! (Whose evidence was Mathematically wrong.)

So it makes them a hero... and allows them to deny what their attitudes have wrought.

Of course, even the "Establishment" was not what they want it to be back then. For example...
I say that if there were a true demonstration that the sun was in the centre of the universe and the earth in the third sphere, and that the sun did not travel around the earth but the earth circled the sun, then it would be necessary to proceed with great caution in explaining the passages of Scripture which seemed contrary, and we would rather have to say that we did not understand them than to say that something was false which has been demonstrated. But I do not believe that there is any such demonstration; none has been shown to me.
Cardinal Robert Bellarmine, the Judge of the Inquisition at the trial of Galileo.

So they are exibeting a definition of heroism and smartness that does not conform to reality of both their heroes and the Establishment.
Hic sunt dracones
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Its really quite simple. Holocaust denial is still a thing for the same reason that it has always been a thing; antisemitism still is and always has been a thing.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, that's true too, but I think there's more to it. I think they also want to downplay all the bad stuff Fascists did in general. You know, the myth of the gentleman SS officer and "the most efficient government ever!!", how could THEY do so much cold blooded murder?
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Suranis wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:42 pm Ya, that's true too, but I think there's more to it. I think they also want to downplay all the bad stuff Fascists did in general. You know, the myth of the gentleman SS officer and "the most efficient government ever!!", how could THEY do so much cold blooded murder?
I can't determine internally which is worse: the myth of the Clean Wehrmacht or Lost Cause. They're both infuriating.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Why is AIPAC still a thing and what's their problem with non-white people?

A Statement From Jewish Americans Opposing AIPAC

https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... ing-aipac/

We are Jewish Americans who have varying perspectives. We’ve come together to highlight and oppose the unprecedented and damaging role of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and its allied groups in US elections, especially within Democratic Party primaries. We recognize that the purpose of AIPAC’s interventions in electoral politics is to defeat any critics of Israeli government policy and to support candidates who vow unwavering loyalty to Israel, thereby ensuring the United States’ continuing support for all that Israel does, regardless of its violence and illegality.

Given that Israel is so isolated internationally that it could not continue its inhumane treatment of the Palestinians without US political and military support, AIPAC is an essential link in the chain that holds in place the unbearable tragedy of Israel/Palestine. In the coming US elections, we need to break that chain in order to help free the people of Israel/Palestine to pursue peaceful coexistence.

In the same 2021-22 election cycle in which AIPAC endorsed Republican extremists and dozens of Congress members who’d voted against certifying Biden’s victory over Trump, AIPAC’s network raised millions from Trump donors and spent the money inside Democratic primaries against progressives, mostly candidates of color. AIPAC is now vowing to spend even more millions in the 2024 Democratic primaries, targeting specific Democrats in Congress—initially all legislators of color—who’ve advocated for a Gaza cease-fire, a position supported by the vast majority of Democratic voters. AIPAC’s election spending increasingly works to defeat candidates who criticize Israel’s racist policies.

In contrast to AIPAC, we are American Jews who believe that US support for foreign governments should only be extended to those that respect the full human and civil rights, and right to self-determination, of all people. We oppose all forms of racism and bigotry, including antisemitism—and we support the historic alliance in our country of Jewish Americans with African Americans and other people of color in the cause of civil rights and equal justice.

Therefore, we strongly oppose AIPAC’s attempts to dominate Democratic primary elections. We call on Democratic candidates to not accept AIPAC network funding, and demand that the Democratic leadership not allow Republican funders to use that network to deform Democratic primary elections. We will support candidates who are opposed by AIPAC, and who are advocates for peace and a new, just US policy toward Israel/Palestine.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

So AIPAC supports Holocaust Deniers? That seems to be kinda stupid, eh?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks for the opponents of AIPAC article. I admit I know zero about AIPAC (and regularly confuse it with AAPI). I've been confused by their posts on social media. I now have a bit of context.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Never heard of AIPAC, honestly. I guess there are a wide range of ideology in supporters of everything.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Other weirdos”