pipistrelle

Re: Republicans Behaving Badly

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:44 am

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:44 am
In the Age of Trump that just might work!

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 am

23931591-E7F3-4B8F-A558-4905D1514250.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 am

Another pardon in the making ..

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 am
Another pardon in the making ..
Unfortunately I think you might be right about this. And, Republican voters will likely not care one bit that he's going to pardon personal and political friends and associates. It's all in a day's work. This voter base was primed for Trump by years of rwnj media and by Republican politician's years of rhetoric.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:01 pm

News: Exclusive audio from closed-door GOP fundraiser reveals surprise plan for SCOTUS nominee, Mueller investigation.

9pm ET, MSNBC.

5:46 PM - 8 Aug 2018

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Preet Bharara interviews Steve Schmidt. Bonus: Before the interview Preet answers questions about Judge Ellis in the Manafort VA case.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 pm

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/wiscon ... -rape/amp/
Wisconsin GOP candidate under fire after telling opponent that his fiancee should be forced to keep baby from rape

A Republican running for state treasurer in Wisconsin is under fire after telling her opponent that she hoped his fiancee would have to keep a baby fathered by rape.

Candidate Jill Millies (R-WI) had a “moment of frustration” when she made a comment about her opponent’s views.

The exchange started when Hartwig posted a survey to Facebook asking in which circumstances should abortions be allowed.

Millies commented on the post by saying: “Travis keeps making me look better all the time! So Travis, when your fiancée gets raped, I hope she keeps the baby & when that mentally ill person shoots you with his 55 magnums or shotgun, but it’ll be ok because he didn’t have to get cleared to carry that gun! Your ways aren’t looking good now, are they?”

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 am

This is perhaps not so much a Republican Behaving Badly as a Republican Making an Humungous Laughingstock of Himself. The old guy in the pink shirt (Roger Stone would be so jealous) is the host of a fundraiser for Barr (R-Kentucky). The guy Pink Shirt is trying to evict from a public sidewalk is a tracker for the Democratic Party of Kentucky. Note that at the very beginning of the vid, Pink Asshole jokingly asks his Republican cronies whether he should shoot the tracker, or maybe set the dogs on him. At the end, Pink Shirt Poltroon hitches up his pants (khaki, what else?) like a deputy sheriff in a 1950's very B movie.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 am

Sue him for assault? Could be fun.

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm

UChicago Law Prof Says Sotomayor Got on Court Because She’s Latina, Wipes Twitter
:snippity: His tweet, which said she is a “second-class intellect,” immediately drew sharp criticism from members of the University community and beyond. Some questioned how Henderson was a professor at the Law School; one user wrote, “Your dumb ass couldn’t get onto the food court.”
https://www.chicagomaroon.com/article/2 ... t-shes-la/

If anybody remembers, this is the same person who complained about not being able to get by on $400k a year.
In 2010, Henderson wrote in a widely-mocked blog post (also now deleted) that his family was just getting by and that President Obama’s tax hikes on households making over $250,000 might force him to sell his house. In that same post, Henderson said he paid $100,000 in federal and state taxes, which, according to Business Insider, would make his annual household income around $400,000.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm

An example of Justice Sotomayor's supposedly second-rate intellect:

"Plaintiffs' attempts to distinguish Planned Parenthood are unavailing. First, plaintiffs argue that Planned Parenthood did not involve an equal protection challenge. This is true, but does not affect the First Amendment question. Second, plaintiffs argue that Planned Parenthood "mischaracterizes the [restrictions'] effect as `incidental.'" This argument does not distinguish Planned Parenthood at all, but simply disagrees with its holding. Third, plaintiffs argue that the effect on their speech is more substantial than in Planned Parenthood because the provision "impedes Plaintiffs' entire mission, not just one component of that mission." The significance of this point is not clear to us as a legal matter and, in any event, the allegations made in the two cases are far too similar to support this distinction as a factual matter."

Henderson can bite me. :twoup:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Soto mayor graduated Summa Cum Laude. Henderson?
Cum Laude

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

I remember the old saying.
Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.
Edit: Present company excepted of course

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47 pm

And those who can't teach were able to get hired by my high school.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm

There was another old lawyer/law school joke that:
A students became professors,
B students worked in government,
C students made piles of money.

:hijacked: by me.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:40 pm

8-) I'll just ingratiate myself with our shipping clerks by extending your lawyer joke:
Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm
There was another old lawyer/law school joke that:
A+ students post on Fogbow
A students became professors,
B students worked in government,
C students made piles of money.

:hijacked: by me.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Florida candidate tried to prove she’s a college graduate. The school says her diploma is fake.
The political kerfuffle around Melissa Howard began when a news site reported that the Florida state House hopeful is not a college graduate, as she claims to be. To prove the story wrong, Howard (R) reportedly flew to her proclaimed alma mater, Ohio’s Miami University, to get a copy of her college transcript and posted a picture of her smiling next to her framed diploma.

Faced with Howard’s alleged proof of her academic credentials, FLA News walked back on its story and published a correction. But the news site’s mea-culpa was only briefly in effect. In an email sent to Florida news outlets, Miami University revealed that not only did Howard not graduate from the school, as FLA News previously reported, but the diploma that she touted was fake. An email from the university’s general counsel suggested that Howard also had not been truthful about when she supposedly graduated, what degree she supposedly obtained, and what major she supposedly studied.

Miami University general counsel Robin Parker wrote in the email, which was also obtained by The Washington Post, that the diploma showed Melissa Fox (Howard’s maiden name) graduated with a bachelor’s degree in marketing; the university offers no such degree. The diploma also stated that Howard graduated in 1996, but she was not enrolled that year, Parker said; instead, she attended the university from 1990 to 1994 without graduating.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... 823d7710ef

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:47 pm

A former Kentucky judge has been sentenced to 20 years in prison on human trafficking charges.

Timothy Nolan, a 71-year-old former Campbell County District Judge, pleaded guilty to human trafficking and other felony sex crimes involving minors, according to multiple reports.

Nolan is also a conservative political activist and worked on President Trump's campaign in Kentucky during the 2016 election.

Nolan apologized and vowed to seek treatment during his sentencing hearing on Friday after prosecutors read statements from the nearly 20 teen victims, many of whom were under 16 years old, according to the Associated Press.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ex ... ar-AAwRBcp

:hang:

Of course he worked on the trump campaign. It almost goes without saying these days.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Only the best people for the Trump campaign...

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:47 am

Melissa Howard last week posted a photo of herself with what looked like a Miami University diploma after being accused of lying about her degree. The Ohio university later sent reporters a statement saying she attended the school, but never graduated and the diploma Howard posted has inaccuracies.

Howard posted an apology on her campaign Facebook page and admitted she didn't graduate from the school.

"I made a mistake in saying that I completed my degree. What I did was wrong and set a bad example for someone seeking public service. I am staying in the race and intend to win and lead by example from now on," she said.
And the local GOP response?
While some have taken to social media to say Howard should drop out, local party officials say the matter should be left to voters.

"We should just let nature take its course. Let the voters decided if they want her to win the primary," said Manatee County Republican committeewoman Peggy Simone.

In her statement, Howard said, "It was not my intent to deceive or mislead anyone." It didn't say what her intent was.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fake-diploma ... 36815.html

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 am

From the above:
"I made a mistake in saying that I completed my degree."
No, that's not a "mistake." That's an "intent to deceive."

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 am

Yeah totally didn't mean to deceive by creating a fake degree and calling the news reports fake news.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:57 am

She's not the first politician to have pretended to more education than was real. And I can recall instances of people who 'remembered' having an advanced degree when, in fact, they still owed the school a dissertation or something. But it's tough to claim this was a mere lapse of memory when she went to the trouble of faking up a framed diploma.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 pm

Someone got to her.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180 ... ee-scandal
Howard said in a text message to the Herald-Tribune that “I have come to the realization that the right thing to do for my community is to withdraw from the race. I will do so today.”

“I made a terrible error in judgement,” Howard added. “I am thankful for everyone who gave so much toward my success, and I am deeply sorry.”

Return to “Congress”