Republicans Behaving Badly

RVInit

Re: Republicans Behaving Badly

Post by RVInit » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:16 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 pm
Republicans have never been "family values", "patriots", "Christian" or any of the other values they have traditionally claimed. The difference between now and then is simply that now they are no longer pretending. Trump has truly set them free - free to be exactly what they always have been.
:fingerwag: A large percentage, for sure. And the elected class, definitely. But Old School Republicans, like I used to be, the Teddy Roosevelt or Eisenhower or Rockefeller Republicans are/were good people. I think most people — right, left, or centrist — are good people. It’s an analog world.
I am usually very careful to specify Republican politicians when I make these statements. :oops: Of course I'm talking about the politicians. I don't include Republican voters in my criticism of Republicans. Republican politicians haven't demonstrated these values at any time in my lifetime. They have paid a huge amount of lip service to these values, though, to the point where they get an automatic pass and are even specifically associated with these values. Which is BS. Talk is cheap.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 am

RVInit wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:16 am
Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:10 pm
Republicans have never been "family values", "patriots", "Christian" or any of the other values they have traditionally claimed. The difference between now and then is simply that now they are no longer pretending. Trump has truly set them free - free to be exactly what they always have been.
:fingerwag: A large percentage, for sure. And the elected class, definitely. But Old School Republicans, like I used to be, the Teddy Roosevelt or Eisenhower or Rockefeller Republicans are/were good people. I think most people — right, left, or centrist — are good people. It’s an analog world.
I am usually very careful to specify Republican politicians when I make these statements. :oops: Of course I'm talking about the politicians. I don't include Republican voters in my criticism of Republicans. Republican politicians haven't demonstrated these values at any time in my lifetime. They have paid a huge amount of lip service to these values, though, to the point where they get an automatic pass and are even specifically associated with these values. Which is BS. Talk is cheap.
:thumbs:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:55 am

Kendra wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 pm
If there's a dedicated Mike Huckabee thread, I was unable to locate it, but then again I only tried so hard :bag:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -by-qatar/
Mike Huckabee Praised Qatar Without Revealing He Was Paid $50,000 by Qatar
The payment was disclosed in a new foreign lobbying document highlighting Qatar’s big spending.
Would that make him also a foreign agent required to register, for getting paid by a foreign agent for positive tweeting?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Ex-Trump adviser tells black Fox News guest he's out of his 'cotton-picking mind'
BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN - 06/24/18 10:19 AM EDT

President Trump’s former deputy campaign manager, David Bossie, told a black Democratic strategist appearing on “Fox & Friends” on Sunday that he’s out of his "cotton-picking mind.”

Bossie and strategist Joel Payne got into a heated exchange about the rhetoric used in debating immigration and other issues during a discussion moderated by Fox News host Ed Henry.

The men were discussing former CIA Director Michael Hayden posting a photo of Auschwitz in reference to the Trump administration’s since-ended policy of separating immigrant families at the border when Bossie made the comment.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/39384 ... cking-mind

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Kendra wrote:
If there's a dedicated Mike Huckabee thread, I was unable to locate it, but then again I only tried so hard :bag:

The payment was disclosed in a new foreign lobbying document highlighting Qatar’s big spending.
Getting paid to tweet is petty grifting. Low!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm
Kendra wrote:

Once a whore always a whore, a Chucklebee family lifestyle, vocation and avocation.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm
Kendra wrote:

Especially when a fiery Dog believeing Evangelical goes to pick up fleas lying in bed with those nasty Mooslims. :blackeye:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 pm

I miss Mellissa what's-her-last-name (too lazy to check the spelling) doing Spicer on SNL. Oh, the way she said the mooslum word.

Anyone hear about this kerfuffle earlier today? There was quite the shouting match between Bossie and the gentleman with the opposing opinion. Ask said gentleman (who is black) if he was out of the cotton picking mind. Oopsie.

During a heated segment on Fox & Friends today, I should have chosen my words more carefully and never used the offensive phrase that I did. I apologize to Joel Payne, Fox News and its viewers.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:17 pm
he was out of the cotton picking mind.
Until today, I had never, ever given that phrase a second thought.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:24 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 pm
Kendra wrote:
Same here.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:02 pm

I never picked cotton
But my mother did
And my brother did
And my sister did
And my daddy died young
Workin' in a coal mine

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 am

Cotton-picking: interesting phrase! I hadn't thought of possible racist connotations, probably because it's not a phrase I use and I only hear it as an innocent substitute for swear words or as an adjective expressing irritation about something. There's a decent little article about it at The Phrase Finder website: The meaning and origin of the expression: Cotton-picking. The author (I can't see a name, so no attribution, sorry) ascribes the modern-ish popularity of the phrase to Bugs Bunny, saying it wasn't really used much before then exceptz of course, in its literal meaning.

He draws a distinction between the act of cotton-picking, a frustrating and difficult chore, and references to cotton-pickers, the people. The former is probably free of racist connotations but the latter can be used to make derogatory reference to the poor, black, callus-handed laborers of the South and stereotypes of them.

I dunno, I like a rich language, I like figurative references to old activities and bits of history or nature, I dislike people manufacturing offense where none was intended, but I am aware of subtle racist, sexist, etc. strains that run through the language and now feel that they are more important than I would have felt twenty years ago.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 am

It's a phrase we hear fairly regularly down here but I've never thought of it as racist. Most everyone I knew living in the Delta, including me, chopped cotton at some point in their life. Some worked at McDonalds. some worked in the fields. We still say high cotton too, but I don't know if that's racist either.

We were walkin' in high cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten,
Those fertile fields are never far away,
We were walkin' in high cotton,
Old time there are not forgotten,
Leavin' home was the hardest thing we ever faced.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:45 am

I always thought high cotton was good because if it's high it's easier to pick. You don't have to bend over as far to reach it.

But what does it mean to "chop" cotton? That's a new one.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:57 am

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:45 am
I always thought high cotton was good because if it's high it's easier to pick. You don't have to bend over as far to reach it.

But what does it mean to "chop" cotton? That's a new one.
We use high cotton for living the good life or when something is expensive. If you're in high cotton, the crop is good and so are the prices. I've not heard it used in relation to how easy it is to pick but it makes sense.

Chopping cotton is going down each row and turning the roots of weeds up and maybe mounding a little dirt around a cotton stalk that might be leaning a bit. You literally "chop" the dirt up between the rows.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 am

Oh, cool. It's 7 a.m. and I already learned something new today. :dance:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 pm

This has been an interesting discussion, thanks all. Back to Bossie who started it all:

David Bossie, the ex-Trump campaign aide and current outside adviser to the president, has been suspended from his Fox News contributor gig after telling a black Democratic strategist, 'You‘re out of your cotton-picking mind!,' The Daily Beast reports.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 pm

I always thought the root of that phrase was that picking cotton was so boring that your brain was zonked at the end of a day of it. Never thought of it as particularly racist.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Neither did I. It always just seemed synonymous with “gosh darned.”

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 pm

I've been aware of the expression pretty much all of my life. I know where it comes from but as I am concerned, it has NO racial connotation. It has to do with a mind numbing back breaking labor that WAS NOT exclusive to any one race. Although, after thoughtful consideration. I will grant in this instance that the negative connotation assumption may very well have been justified when I consider the parties involved. When dealing with a Trumpinista assuming the worst is usually the best and safest and usually the most likely choice.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:46 am

Ya, whites were pulling on the Cotton as much as the blacks, if not more.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 pm
Kendra wrote:
I bought a souvenir sweatshirt at a cave I'd toured in Iowa. The logo displayed the name of the cave and a ghost on the front. I wore it a lot, and up North here I never once thought about the potential race-related connotation of the cave's name - until I wore it in Missouri. There, for the first time, I got double-takes and negative reaction to the sweatshirt.

This is why. The cave's name also happens to be a racial slur, and the ghost's head resembles a hood more than a bit.
► Show Spoiler
I think I've mentioned here before the controversy over the name used by most local Italian restaurants hereabouts for a hot Italian sausage patty sandwich: a hot dago. Everybody knows what a dago is: a sandwich! It took a visitor from New York literally making a case out of it (he filed a complaint with the City of St. Paul's Human Rights Commission) to forcibly remind everyone that 'dago' is also an ethnic slur.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... al-n888386
Powerful GOP Rep. Jim Jordan accused of turning blind eye to sexual abuse as Ohio State wrestling coach
"At the end of the day, he is absolutely lying if he says he doesn’t know what was going on," a former Ohio State wrestler said.
Well, then. Isn't the the one who got the beautiful smack down from Rosenstein last week?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:14 am
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... al-n888386
Powerful GOP Rep. Jim Jordan accused of turning blind eye to sexual abuse as Ohio State wrestling coach
"At the end of the day, he is absolutely lying if he says he doesn’t know what was going on," a former Ohio State wrestler said.
Well, then. Isn't the the one who got the beautiful smack down from Rosenstein last week?
Yes. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy more deserving asshole.

However, I can also guess his obvious reply: The law firm investigating for Ohio State University is none other than Perkins Coie, the Democratic-affiliated global mega-firm that was also involved in retaining Fusion GPS to provide the Steele Dossier. Jordan is going to claim that he's being smeared because of his efforts to "expose the phony dossier." Guaranteed. And right-wing pundits will gobble it up and repeat it endlessly.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Jordan is such a knucklehead. He's a big brave guy when he has the microphone that no one is willing to shut off. I agree with FP, he will now play the victim.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Return to “Congress”