Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weird Houses, etc.

sugar magnolia

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by sugar magnolia »

We looked at a house many years ago that we fell in love with. Built in the late 1800s and situated right next to a gorgeous city garden. Close to everything and the right size and price. Downstairs was perfect with all the original brick walls, woodwork, original 1890s linoleum in the kitchen and perfect wood floors. 10' ceilings and 8' windows. Sold (almost)! We headed up stairs to the bedrooms. The stairs were a bit narrow and dark but we could work with that. The first bedroom, all original again and large enough. Same with the second bedroom. Then we get to the "master" bedroom. Oh my. Cedar walls, floor and ceiling. It's huge, with great windows and 2 big dormers overlooking the front of the house. And shelves on every wall. Every. Wall. Floor to ceiling. 10' ceiling. And those shelves were COVERED with scientific specimens of .....animals? We identified snakes (lots and lots) and fetal pigs and weird unhatched birds and god knows what else. We never even made it to the far end of the room where the really big jars were. All floating serenely in formaldehyde. We left so quickly we never did see a bathroom in the house.

Even after fleeing, we considered making an offer on it (it was priced really low) until the realtor told us the formaldehyde was considered an eco hazard and we'd have to pay to have it removed and disposed of. We bought a house down the street and passed it daily for about 2 years. Never gave up on the dream of owning it either. The municipal garden next door to it eventually bought it and tore it down for a parking lot. I still think of that house.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Maybenaut »

Well, one man’s trash, as they say. We once bought a house that looked like this:
IMG_8755.jpeg
IMG_8755.jpeg (157.5 KiB) Viewed 305 times
And now looks like this:

IMG_8756.jpeg
IMG_8756.jpeg (169.63 KiB) Viewed 305 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Fabulous!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by bill_g »

That's wild. Good makeover.

One of the jobs I had in the 70's while going to Uni was gutting houses like your BEFORE picture. Remove all the trash, take out the plaster lathe, wiring, plumbing, carefully remove the well preserved porceline fixtures clawfoot (tubs, sinks, and toilets), window glass, sash window frames, etc, and try to preserve exterior features like Gingerbread and lap siding. In a week or two the houses would be down to the studs, and sometimes had open floor joists ready for the carpenters and other trades to renovate. It was fun to return in a year to see what the project did.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Great renovation! I've done minor to major work in every house I've owned but floors falling into the crawl space is a hard stop for me. :eek:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Maybenaut

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Maybenaut »

We were looking for land for a hunting camp. Cabin, no cabin, either would have been fine. If there was no cabin we would have brought in a 5th Wheel.

We found this place. Built in 1967 on 16 acres, adjacent to and downhill from Maybelot. The front half of the house was in reasonably good shape; the back half was in the crawl space. Near as we could tell (from all the old newspapers) the place was abandoned in 1983 or 84). The headline on the newest newspaper was about the bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut, which was in April, 1983.

We think the pipes froze, and then the pump pulling water from the spring-fed cistern just ran and ran until it failed. You could see where the water shot up along the back wall of the kitchen.

My husband and son are the kinds of people who can fix anything. They did all the work themselves, except for a few things that required a contractor (like the septic and the road). Working one room at a time, they jacked up the house and replaced the rotted rim joists and floor joists. We ended up having to replace all of this lovely long leaf pine flooring. We pulled all the vertical plywood paneling and replaced it with horizontal knotty pine tongue-in-groove. All new electrical, better insulation, etc.

And we came this close to losing it to a fire this week, but all is well.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by AndyinPA »

Great Story! :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Mirror, Mirror on the…OMG!

IMG_7038.webp
IMG_7038.webp (69.32 KiB) Viewed 207 times

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/720- ... 2661_zpid/
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by northland10 »

:cantlook:

This may be the first time I have seen a cathedral-ceiling bathroom with a tub, toilet, sink, and grand piano, but no mirrors.

I have seen more realistic rock walls in middle school plays.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveo_20240324_160805.jpg
Estiveo_20240324_160805.jpg (126.33 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by northland10 »

How nice. They provided a bunch of nooks and crannies for the mold, mildew, and whatever comes from various splashes, to grow and prosper.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Estiveo »

Well I do like a stinky cheese.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by Maybenaut »

:sick:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weird Houses, etc.

Post by RTH10260 »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 pm How nice. They provided a bunch of nooks and crannies for the mold, mildew, and whatever comes from various splashes, to grow and prosper.
Are you thinking it results in Blue Cheese?

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”