Republicans Behaving Badly

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 pm

O'k, so we all know that former Nevada Senator John Ensign is a total scumbag and a coward, and we all know that he resigned, but he may not be able to walk away from his misdeeds:

Senate Ethics Refers Ensign Case to DOJ, FEC

Susan Crabtree | May 12, 2011, 2:34PM

The Senate Ethics Committee has uncovered extensive evidence that former Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) and others broke U.S. law by trying to cover up an affair Ensign had with a campaign aide, the wife of one of his top Senate staffers.

The panel has forwarded the evidence of criminal activities to the Department of Justice for further investigation, which it is required to do in any investigation that turns up evidence of criminal wrongdoing, Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), who chairs the ethics panel, and Johnny Isakson (R-GA), said in letters to the DOJ and FEC released Thursday along with a final report from a special prosecutor handling the case.

"The committee voted unanimously to refer Senate findings to the Department of Justice and the Federal Election Commission because we have reason to believe that Sen. Ensign violated laws within their jurisdiction," Boxer said in a rare floor speech addressing the committee's usually private proceedings.

[highlight]The evidence the committee uncovered, was so egregious, Boxer said, that a special counsel assigned to the case was set to recommend expulsion had Ensign not resigned. The potential criminal actions include violating a one-year-lobbying ban, discrimination on the basis of gender and obstruction of justice, among others.[/highlight]

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/senate-ethics-panel-ensign-sex-scandal-may-have-broken-us-ethics-laws-we-have-forwarded-ensign-findi.php?ref=fpa]http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... hp?ref=fpa

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

poutine

Post by poutine » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 pm

NYT reports that this scum was specifically warned, by his top aide, that his actions were illegal. He groaned and said, bah, do it anyway.

He also instructed his staff to delete emails. They did it. I assume they too are now going to be investigated for obstruction of justice. They will hate and regret ever meeting this man more than ever. He has destroyed many lives and careers.

[/break1]ms/iu5T5S]http://nyti.ms/iu5T5S

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 pm

NYT reports that this scum was specifically warned, by his top aide, that his actions were illegal. He groaned and said, bah, do it anyway. He also instructed his staff to delete emails. They did it. I assume they too are now going to be investigated for obstruction of justice. They will hate and regret ever meeting this man more than ever. He has destroyed many lives and careers.[/break1]ms/iu5T5S]http://nyti.ms/iu5T5STrue. But he saved a lot of dogs and cats.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 pm

NYT reports that this scum was specifically warned, by his top aide, that his actions were illegal. He groaned and said, bah, do it anyway.

He also instructed his staff to delete emails. They did it. I assume they too are now going to be investigated for obstruction of justice. They will hate and regret ever meeting this man more than ever. He has destroyed many lives and careers.

[/break1]ms/iu5T5S]http://nyti.ms/iu5T5SI thought his top aide was the guy whose wife...oh, never mind. ;)

I believe Anita Hill!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 pm

O'k, so we all know that former Nevada Senator John Ensign is a total scumbag and a coward, and we all know that he resigned, but he may not be able to walk away from his misdeeds:

Senate Ethics Refers Ensign Case to DOJ, FEC

Susan Crabtree | May 12, 2011, 2:34PM

The Senate Ethics Committee has uncovered extensive evidence that former Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) and others broke U.S. law by trying to cover up an affair Ensign had with a campaign aide, the wife of one of his top Senate staffers.

The panel has forwarded the evidence of criminal activities to the Department of Justice for further investigation, which it is required to do in any investigation that turns up evidence of criminal wrongdoing, Sens. Barbara Boxer (D-CA), who chairs the ethics panel, and Johnny Isakson (R-GA), said in letters to the DOJ and FEC released Thursday along with a final report from a special prosecutor handling the case.

"The committee voted unanimously to refer Senate findings to the Department of Justice and the Federal Election Commission because we have reason to believe that Sen. Ensign violated laws within their jurisdiction," Boxer said in a rare floor speech addressing the committee's usually private proceedings.

[highlight]The evidence the committee uncovered, was so egregious, Boxer said, that a special counsel assigned to the case was set to recommend expulsion had Ensign not resigned. The potential criminal actions include violating a one-year-lobbying ban, discrimination on the basis of gender and obstruction of justice, among others.[/highlight]

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/senate-ethics-panel-ensign-sex-scandal-may-have-broken-us-ethics-laws-we-have-forwarded-ensign-findi.php?ref=fpa]http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... hp?ref=fpaAt last. True bi-partisanship on something. It must be really disgusting to be able to overcome IOKIYAR.

[/break1]senate.gov/]http://ethics.senate.gov/

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:59 am

Rachel Maddow did a great segment on this last night. [/break1]msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#43016334]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#43016334He be in a heap o' trouble.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

poutine

Post by poutine » Fri May 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Some pretty gross details (not sex gross, just creepy-man gross) from the investigation into the affair are summarized in this Las Vegas Review-Journal article:[/break1]lvrj.com/news/ensign-s-former-mistress-speaks-in-ethics-report-121764093.html]http://www.lvrj.com/news/ensign-s-forme ... 64093.html

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Some pretty gross details (not sex gross, just creepy-man gross) from the investigation into the affair are summarized in this Las Vegas Review-Journal article:[/break1]lvrj.com/news/ensign-s-former-mistress-speaks-in-ethics-report-121764093.html]http://www.lvrj.com/news/ensign-s-forme ... 64093.htmlYes, Ensign and Hampton were engaged in a kind of mutual blackmail with Ms. Hampton as a pawn in their chess game. It also struck me how big a role that cell phones played in the saga. In the old days, it was intercepted letters. Now, it's those hand held devices that unravels the tangled webs of deception. In the old days, one could burn and shred incriminating evidence. Now, one can never be sure about the e-mail trail and how to erase it. I can see where Ensign might feel really betrayed by his electronic devices. They were immune to the kind of hold he seemed to have on all the people around him. How did he keep that hold for so long? It was more than fear and loyalty, but I don't have a good sense of what it was.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Usually the coverup is worse than the crime it seeks to hide. In this case, however, Ensign used Mrs. Hampton sexually and she had no choice as her entire family was economically dependent on Ensign for their financial livelihood. Ensign was really a disgusting sleazebag in this. And Tom Coburn of C Street fame doesn't escape much, either, since he was an enabler of the coverup.

poutine

Post by poutine » Fri May 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Some pretty gross details (not sex gross, just creepy-man gross) from the investigation into the affair are summarized in this Las Vegas Review-Journal article:[/break1]lvrj.com/news/ensign-s-former-mistress-speaks-in-ethics-report-121764093.html]http://www.lvrj.com/news/ensign-s-forme ... 64093.htmlYes, Ensign and Hampton were engaged in a kind of mutual blackmail with Ms. Hampton as a pawn in their chess game. It also struck me how big a role that cell phones played in the saga. In the old days, it was intercepted letters. Now, it's those hand held devices that unravels the tangled webs of deception. In the old days, one could burn and shred incriminating evidence. Now, one can never be sure about the e-mail trail and how to erase it. I can see where Ensign might feel really betrayed by his electronic devices. They were immune to the kind of hold he seemed to have on all the people around him. How did he keep that hold for so long? It was more than fear and loyalty, but I don't have a good sense of what it was.The old days of secret affairs are definitely dead and gone. We have become so dependent on cellphones, blackberries, iphones and email in general that it is virtually impossible to avoid creating a paper trail. If someone wants to litigate your affair, it's all going to unravel. Text messages are preserved by cellphone providers, so deleting them from your device is useless. Phone calls are preserved through the phone numbers, dates and times of calls, and duration. Emails might be gone if too much time has passed, but then again, they might be recovered even with the passage of time from the physical hard drive of the computer that was used. The effort to try and maintain an affair without creating this trail would be monumental, and would require sophisticated tech knowledge.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Usually the coverup is worse than the crime it seeks to hide. In this case, however, Ensign used Mrs. Hampton sexually and she had no choice as her entire family was economically dependent on Ensign for their financial livelihood. Ensign was really a disgusting sleazebag in this. And Tom Coburn of C Street fame doesn't escape much, either, since he was an enabler of the coverup.I get that part. At the same time, it seems the Hamptons were trying to hang on to a certain lifestyle which other people would have been willing to sacrifice. Were there really no other choices? In some ways, it reminds me of the people around John Edwards who covered for him until the National Enquirer broke the story.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Mrs. Hampton had a choice. She could have resigned her job and sought other employment. Ditto for her husband. She could have said "No". What would have happened? She'd lose her precious home, her children's private tuition payments would stop, and she might be broke. Well, that all happened anyway, and all while she literally prostituted herself. I'm not so sure she was a totally unwilling participant in all of this.

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:58 pm

The old days of secret affairs are definitely dead and gone. We have become so dependent on cellphones, blackberries, iphones and email in general that it is virtually impossible to avoid creating a paper trail. If someone wants to litigate your affair, it's all going to unravel. Text messages are preserved by cellphone providers, so deleting them from your device is useless. Phone calls are preserved through the phone numbers, dates and times of calls, and duration. Emails might be gone if too much time has passed, but then again, they might be recovered even with the passage of time from the physical hard drive of the computer that was used. The effort to try and maintain an affair without creating this trail would be monumental, and would require sophisticated tech knowledge.Or throw away prepaid cell phones. :mrgreen:

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Mrs. Hampton had a choice. She could have resigned her job and sought other employment. Ditto for her husband. She could have said "No". What would have happened? She'd lose her precious home, her children's private tuition payments would stop, and she might be broke. Well, that all happened anyway, and all while she literally prostituted herself. I'm not so sure she was a totally unwilling participant in all of this.That's what I was thinking as I read through the report. The Hamptons may have been broke but they would have their dignity, self-respect and have been much healthier mentally and physically. It in no way excuses the repulsive behavior of Ensign and all the people that covered for him.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 am

[/break1]washingtonpost.com/entertainment/la-times-schwarzenegger-shriver-split-up-after-he-acknowledged-fathering-child-with-staffer/2011/05/17/AFBMTW5G_story.html?hpid=z3]Associated Press

Schwarzenegger acknowledges fathering child with longtime member of household staff

LOS ANGELES — Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, a revelation that apparently prompted wife Maria Shriver to leave the couple’s home before they announced their separation last week. ...

The Times did not publish the former staffer’s name nor that of her child but said the woman worked for the family for 20 years and retired in January.

In an interview Monday before Schwarzenegger issued his statement, the former staffer said another man — her husband at the time — was the child’s father. When the Times later informed the woman of the governor’s statement, she declined to comment further.

The child was born before Schwarzenegger began his seven-year stint in public office.

¡Qué vergüenza!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 am

[/break1]washingtonpost.com/entertainment/la-times-schwarzenegger-shriver-split-up-after-he-acknowledged-fathering-child-with-staffer/2011/05/17/AFBMTW5G_story.html?hpid=z3]Associated Press

Schwarzenegger acknowledges fathering child with longtime member of household staff

LOS ANGELES — Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, a revelation that apparently prompted wife Maria Shriver to leave the couple’s home before they announced their separation last week. ...

The Times did not publish the former staffer’s name nor that of her child but said the woman worked for the family for 20 years and retired in January.

In an interview Monday before Schwarzenegger issued his statement, the former staffer said another man — her husband at the time — was the child’s father. When the Times later informed the woman of the governor’s statement, she declined to comment further.

The child was born before Schwarzenegger began his seven-year stint in public office.I would be surprised if anyone were surprised at this news. Before he was elected, there were women coming out of the woodwork alleging various kinds of infidelities.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:48 pm

I would be surprised if anyone were surprised at this news. Before he was elected, there were women coming cuming out of the woodwork alleging various kinds of infidelities.

We seriously and for real, this was absolutely no joke when we could have had Angelides, elected this asshat to run slam our once-great state into the ground. Well done.

Edited for further clarity.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Eh, Ahnald was just following in the footsteps of Thomas Jefferson.

I believe Anita Hill!

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I would be surprised if anyone were surprised at this news. Before he was elected, there were women coming cuming out of the woodwork alleging various kinds of infidelities.

We seriously and for real, this was absolutely no joke when we could have had Angelides, elected this asshat to run slam our once-great state into the ground. Well done.

Edited for further clarity.I still blame Darryl Issa for starting the whole thing. He's the one who instigated the recall of Gray Davis so he could buy the Governorship for himself. Then, Arnold, Arianna, and a hundred or so others jumped in the race. Just think how bad it would have been if Issa had won (speaking of Republicans behaving badly).

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 pm

What, Thomas made a movie about his horndoggedness and his narcissism, with worldwide release? How did I miss that?! :mrgreen:

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 17, 2011 1:01 pm

I guess it's good he is finally acknowledging his child. But he's always been what he is. Bleh.

¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 pm

I still blame Darryl Fucking Issa for starting the whole thing. He's the one who instigated the recall of Gray Davis so he could buy the Governorship for himself. Then, Arnold, Arianna, and a hundred or so others jumped in the race. Just think how bad it would have been if Issa had won (speaking of Republicans behaving badly).We Californians should always use his full name, to show our respect.

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest.

Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

poutine

Post by poutine » Tue May 17, 2011 1:14 pm

The French press are currently engaged in a self-doubting campaign, triggered by the DSK arrest shockwave. There is also another recent revelation that the press knew all along that France's foreign minister once had an affair with the daughter of Syria's defense minister, fathering her child. One French journalist now admits, with some degree of humility, that these facts were relevant to France's foreign policy and should have been disclosed to the public, not concealed.But the French might want to take a second look at how these things play out in our country, when bad behavior actually is reported on and disclosed to the public. Apparently, if you look at what was reported about Arnold prior to his election, the public really doesn't give a damn.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

I guess it's good he is finally acknowledging his child. But he's always been what he is. Bleh.Best comment about the Arnold bombshell on HuffPo:4 minutes ago (2:04 PM)You can't stop the Inseminate­r.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:35 pm

This story pales next to some of the others coming out recently, but it still appears to show a possible presidential nominee having really bad judgement and lack of control of his personal finances. Huff Po and other sites are saying Gingrich has flamed out anyway.[/break1]sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/17/state/n135358D61.DTL&tsp=1]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

Return to “Congress”