Republicans Behaving Badly

Kendra

Re: Republicans Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Hiss!
:snippity: According to the Times, Tarsey’s parents rushed him into psychiatric treatment as Barcay recovered painfully and eventually attended the school prom in a wheelchair.

At first, California prosecutors filed the case in juvenile court, but it was dismissed. They tried it again in adult court.

“In the end, I pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor,” Tarsey said. “It’s not the charges that matter, it’s what happens in court.”

Tarsey, 6 feet 2 inches tall, claimed self-defense. :snippity:

MRich

Post by MRich » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Kendra wrote:Hiss!
:snippity: According to the Times, Tarsey’s parents rushed him into psychiatric treatment as Barcay recovered painfully and eventually attended the school prom in a wheelchair.

At first, California prosecutors filed the case in juvenile court, but it was dismissed. They tried it again in adult court.

“In the end, I pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor,” Tarsey said. “It’s not the charges that matter, it’s what happens in court.”

Tarsey, 6 feet 2 inches tall, claimed self-defense. :snippity:
Wow. No attempt to apologize or explain. He's owning the fact that he repeatedly struck someone in the head with a hammer. He's proud he got away with it. What a horrible human being.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Just disgusting. I can barely tolerate the human race anymore. :evil:
¡Qué vergüenza!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 pm

The over-privileged are dangerous.
Edit: "'Excitable boy' they all said."

I miss Warren Zevon.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Flashbacks to Aidan's attack and the feeling of wanting to make someone else hurt the way she did.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Flashbacks to Aidan's attack and the feeling of wanting to make someone else hurt the way she did.

How's her recovery going?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:Flashbacks to Aidan's attack and the feeling of wanting to make someone else hurt the way she did.

Almost completely healed. She gets her last tooth next week. It's called a "mono tooth" and for some reason, that cracks me up. She's finally back in school and will hopefully graduate at Christmas, if they offer all the classes she needs in the right order. She's changed her major to social work and is looking at working as a victim's advocate in some capacity.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:19 pm

She has insight that her other classmates won't have. She is also one brave woman to confront her own pain and trauma everyday by helping others. You should be a PROUD MAMA!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Addie wrote:Just disgusting. I can barely tolerate the human race anymore. :evil:
There are some really nice and kind people somewhere. I keep looking. Mostly I see them in my classrooms. Some may also be found in Maine. And J. A. Jance tells me to visit the original peoples of the cross-border Rio Grande.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

MRich wrote: Wow. No attempt to apologize or explain. He's owning the fact that he repeatedly struck someone in the head with a hammer. He's proud he got away with it. What a horrible human being.
The scary part is that he will eventually kill someone

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 pm

He's my congress critter. He runs unopposed every election. He stays under the radar, but he's as bad as any of them.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/rep-t ... le/2633646
Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Pa., confessed Wednesday he was involved in an extramarital affair with a personal friend.

"Last year I became involved in an affair with a personal friend," he said in a statement. "This is nobody's fault but my own, and I offer no excuses. To the extent that there should be any blame in this matter, it falls solely upon me."

"I ask the media to respect the privacy of my family. They have done nothing wrong and deserve to be left alone," he added.

Jesse Sally, the husband of the woman Murphy had an affair with, cited the congressman as part of his reason for divorcing his wife, Shannon Edwards. Sally's original divorce complaint included adultery and that Edwards was involved in an affair with "a well-known political figure in the community," the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette reported.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:36 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:

Almost completely healed. She gets her last tooth next week. It's called a "mono tooth" and for some reason, that cracks me up. She's finally back in school and will hopefully graduate at Christmas, if they offer all the classes she needs in the right order. She's changed her major to social work and is looking at working as a victim's advocate in some capacity.
Sugar, I am so pleased to hear that your daughter is recovered and doing well. My thoughts and best wishes to you both, her for her courage and ambition and you for your strength and love.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Tulsa World
State senator resigns after being charged with sexual battery on Uber driver

OKLAHOMA CITY — Sen. Bryce Marlatt on Tuesday became the latest Oklahoma state lawmaker to resign following allegations of misconduct.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater last week charged Marlatt, R-Woodward, with one felony count of sexual battery, according to court records.

Marlatt made his first court appearance on the charge Tuesday. ...

He is accused of kissing an Uber driver who picked him up late from a restaurant on June 26 for transport to a bar near the Capitol. Upon entering the vehicle, Marlatt allegedly told the drive she had nice breasts, according to court records.

The victim said Marlatt grabbed her head and tried to turn it towards him as he attempted to kiss her, but she was resisting, according to a probable cause affidavit.

Marlatt “then kissed her on the right side of her neck down to her shoulder leaving saliva on her neck and shoulder area,” according to the affidavit. “She told him to sit down and not touch her or she was calling police.”
¡Qué vergüenza!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Some men are disgusting pigs. :torches:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Whatever4 wrote:Some men are disgusting pigs. :torches:
On the contrary, as the Lord is his witness, he was just trying to be a "traditionalist".

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:01 pm

This incident reminded me of a cultural musing I entertained last week. Submitted for your approval:

The venerable picture (usually a cartoon drawing) of a cave man with a club dragging an unconscious woman back to his cave by her hair.

One ran into this image all over when I was a kid. It was often treated as comical. :? I never gave it a lot of thought then. Now? Well, let's unpack it.

This image, presented in such a matter-of-fact way, in fact depicts rape: the procuring of sex by brute force. And several assumptions have been made... that the (typical?) woman in prehistory was not willing to have sex voluntarily. There are things a man can do to win her willing affections; this man has done none of them.

It's sadistic, too, in that he has not only clubbed her, he isn't even carrying her... he drags her by her hair, a most undignified treatment.

I doubt this behavior was common even in primitive groups. The woman probably had family who would violently object. Even if not, after this one incident that woman and probably others will avoid this man. So it's probably counter-productive, even from the troglodyte's viewpoint.

And finally, as John Wayne Bobbit discovered, an abusive man's gotta fall asleep eventually.

I suspect the image has nothing to do with historical anthropology but springs full-blown from modern unreconstructed male attitudes.

It's a horrendous image upon examination. But here's the kicker, which connects with the "traditionalist" alibi above: There are men who are nostalgic for such probably-spurious behavior. Who imagine that "real men" act this way, and wouldn't it be great if the world were this way again. This ties in with the RWNJ internet themes condoning 'rape culture.' They want to be that cave man, and, worse, they think women secretly want them to be that guy.

The image now gives me a wave of nausea.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Good points, Roadie. Remember when a man slapping a woman on her behind was considered romantic?
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I agree with everything you wrote, RoadScholar, except your use of the abominable word "unpack" vice "analyze."

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:53 am

RoadScholar wrote:This incident reminded me of a cultural musing I entertained last week. Submitted for your approval:

The venerable picture (usually a cartoon drawing) of a cave man with a club dragging an unconscious woman back to his cave by her hair.
:snippity:
Perhaps slightly off-topic, recently I read the headline and first paragraph of an article about movements of prehistoric people which, IIRC*, said that women appeared to be moving between communities whereas men appeared more likely to live out their lives in their birth community. The article suggested that this might demonstrate that women were the go-getting explorers, the adventurers. That could be correct, and we know how women's parts in history have often been overlooked in the traditional kings-and-battles narratives.

But, skeptical of unsupported inferences, I wondered if there was a less generous interpretation, and it seems to me that the same pattern (women moving between groups, men staying in their groups) would occur if women were regarded as a tradable commodity. That gets closer to the sexist club-wielding cartoon caveman.

* I might have this wrong, I was in a rush and never went back to the article. So apologies if I have misrepresented it. And that's why there's no link either.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:21 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:This incident reminded me of a cultural musing I entertained last week. Submitted for your approval:

Perhaps slightly off-topic, recently I read the headline and first paragraph of an article about movements of prehistoric people which, IIRC*, said that women appeared to be moving between communities whereas men appeared more likely to live out their lives in their birth community. The article suggested that this might demonstrate that women were the go-getting explorers, the adventurers. That could be correct, and we know how women's parts in history have often been overlooked in the traditional kings-and-battles narratives.

But, skeptical of unsupported inferences, I wondered if there was a less generous interpretation, and it seems to me that the same pattern (women moving between groups, men staying in their groups) would occur if women were regarded as a tradable commodity. That gets closer to the sexist club-wielding cartoon caveman.

* I might have this wrong, I was in a rush and never went back to the article. So apologies if I have misrepresented it. And that's why there's no link either.
That is exactly the same behavior that you saw amongst the royal families of Europe until quite recently. Princesses were married out to foreign princes to cement alliances or acquire feudal rights.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:I agree with everything you wrote, RoadScholar, except your use of the abominable word "unpack" vice "analyze."
Sorry. LitCrit syndrome.

I'll stop.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

That is exactly the same behavior that you saw amongst the royal families of Europe until quite recently. Princesses were married out to foreign princes to cement alliances or acquire feudal rights.
That was part of what prompted my thinking. There is no a priori reason to believe that prehistoric societies would be any less arbitrary, complex or varied than modern societies. The interchange of women could have been part of exactly the same sort of negotiation. Or women could have been objects to be bartered. Or, alternatively, the societies could have been matriarchal and young "queen bees" moved elsewhere.

I'm very much in favor of egalitarian, non-discriminatory policies but it bothers me how easily we overlook how shallow-rooted and recent many of our views are, and the corollary of that observation is that if society's views have changed rapidly recently, they could change again equally rapidly in other directions. Perhaps in fifty years time the notion that men and women should be treated similarly will be regarded as laughably silly. Same-sex marriage could be regarded as absurd, or the notion that marriage is between only two people could be seen as an out-dated idea. Perhaps abortion will be regarded by liberals as murder of an innocent fetus. So much good that seems obvious and decided is actually fragile and potentially ephemeral, and it is the aim of the right-wing, the Republicans mocked here, the white supremacists, the Trumpist anti-everythingers, to roll back to those "good old days".

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 am

Associated Press: 4 sex scandals linked to GOP at Oklahoma Capitol in 2017
¡Qué vergüenza!

jtmunkus

Post by jtmunkus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Santa Fe restaurant manager says Gov. Susana Martinez skipped out on bill.
http://www.sfreporter.com/santafe/mobi ... /id:13998
The general manager of a Santa Fe eatery says Gov. Susana Martinez paid the restaurant a visit today, then left without paying her bill...
I called our governor's office today and spoke with someone named Mindy, checking to see if Governor Dine 'N Dash has gone back to Five Star Diner and paid for her lunch.

Way arrogant and rude, she told me it was basically a publicity-seeking manager blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

I asked, "How does this happen; she crumpled up the bill and walked out with the food? Who does that?"

"Let me ask you this: why did the manager let her leave without paying? So he could call the newspaper and make it a big deal instead of asking her to pay!"

"Bunch of arrogant, entitled..."

"....what?!"

"...Republicans."

"That's the best you've got?"

"I don't like you, too, Mindy."

She hung up.

What a bunch of dishonest fucking fools.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:59 am

Ah yes, the ol' "blame it on the manager" ploy. :thumbs:

As a former public defender, I can assure you that doesn't work for everybody. :doh:

:bwaha: :bwaha:
My god, it's full of stars turtles all the way down!

Return to “Congress”