Republicans Behaving Badly

Kendra

Re: Republicans Behaving Badly

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/ ... ssion=true
Matt Gaetz appears to run afoul of House ethics rules
The Florida Republican spent thousands of dollars on a speechwriting consultant, and the construction of a private studio.

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:26 pm https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/ ... ssion=true
Matt Gaetz appears to run afoul of House ethics rules
The Florida Republican spent thousands of dollars on a speechwriting consultant, and the construction of a private studio.
He also used taxpayer $$ to build a tv studio in mommy's basement.
In another possible violation, a private company installed a television studio in his father’s home in Niceville, Fla., which Gaetz uses when he appears on television. Taxpayers foot the bill to rent the television camera, and the private company that built the studio — which Gaetz refuses to identify — takes a fee each time he appears on air, his office said. It’s unclear how much it cost the private company to construct the studio.

This may run afoul of the House gift rule, which prohibits any lawmaker, aide, and their family members from accepting gifts worth more than $50. The official definition of a gift is very broad and covers virtually any good or service with monetary value.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The Hill video clip with details on the corruption case

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NPR
@NPR
·
11m
The House has unanimously passed a resolution to reprimand GOP Rep. David Schweikert for breaking congressional and campaign finance rules.

He admitted to 11 ethics violations and agreed to pay a $50,000 fine.

https://t.co/bVuJQRPnl5?amp=1

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... ciJwxr2SAk

Virginia GOP official posted personal info of people who reported mask violations: report

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Jesus.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Arrest warrant issued for Alabama Republican who celebrated KKK founder’s birthday
August 6, 2020
By Sky Palma

Alabama GOP Rep. Will Dismukes, who recently made headlines when he appeared at a celebration for Confederate general and Ku Klux Klan leader Nathan Bedford Forrest, now has a warrant out for his arrest for felony theft from a business where he once worked, according to a report from the Alabama Political Reporter.

Montgomery County District Attorney Daryl Bailey said Thursday that the charge is a Class B felony and applies when a person steals more than $2,500.

“I will tell you that the alleged amount is a lot more than that,” Bailey said.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/arrest ... -birthday/

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 pm
Arrest warrant issued for Alabama Republican who celebrated KKK founder’s birthday
August 6, 2020
By Sky Palma

Alabama GOP Rep. Will Dismukes, who recently made headlines when he appeared at a celebration for Confederate general and Ku Klux Klan leader Nathan Bedford Forrest, now has a warrant out for his arrest for felony theft from a business where he once worked, according to a report from the Alabama Political Reporter.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/arrest ... -birthday/
Reading the article, it appears that the business victimized by Dismukes is a floor covering showroom. Shortly after leaving there, Dismukes went and opened his own floor covering showroom. And then he started up with all the Confederate celebratin'.

What is it about floor covering businessmen? After all, that's the source of the Seim family's money. I realize two doesn't make it a trend, but it sure is funny to consider the possibility.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

This is basically two totally unrelated actions, one a free speech event and the other a felony. I really dislike seeing things conflated this way since they are irrelevant to each other. I will grant you, the man is an ass, but I 'm not aware of that being a crime currently.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Alaska AG resigns after sending junior state employee inappropriate text messages

Alaska Attorney General Kevin Clarkson resigned Tuesday after he admitted to repeatedly sending inappropriate text messages to a junior state employee, the governor announced in a statement.

“Kevin Clarkson has admitted to conduct in the workplace that did not live up to our high expectations, and this is deeply disappointing,” Gov. Mike Dunleavy, who appointed Clarkson to the role, said. “This morning he took responsibility for the unintentional consequences of his actions and tendered his resignation to me. I have accepted it.”

A report published Tuesday by ProPublica and the Anchorage Daily News revealed the Republican attorney general sent an unnamed junior state employee over 550 text messages to her personal phone, inviting her to his house at least 18 times and often using suggestive emojis.

In messages sent in March, Clarkson referred to the junior employee as “sweet lady,” asking her to come over to his home, and telling her she was “beautiful.” He often used the kiss emoji.

“Haven’t seen you in awhile, so you owe me a number of hugs,” Clarkson texted her March 26, according to ProPublica and the Anchorage Daily News. The attorney general was not the woman’s supervisor, but their jobs required them to interact.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... t-n1238063

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Congressman’s old social media posts about sex with 15-year-old girls, rape surface in South Florida re-election fight

South Florida Congressman Brian Mast joked about rape and referenced sex with 15-year-old girls in old Facebook comments to a friend who is now his campaign manager.

The messages were posted years ago, but they’ve surfaced in Mast’s tough re-election fight against Democratic challenger Pam Keith.Mast, a 40-year-old Republican, represents one of South Florida’s most competitive swing districts. He apologized for the remarks on Tuesday.

Mast commented, “im so proud of you... i hope you hook up with at least fifteen 15 year olds over there.... its legel there right.”

Two years later, LeDonni asked in a May 20, 2011, post: “Anyone have any good pick up lines for this weekend considering according to the crazy christian radio guy the world may end on sunday?”
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/polit ... story.html

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.newsweek.com/alabama-gop-co ... ng-1528614
Alabama GOP Congressional Candidate Faces Backlash After Posting and Deleting Meme on Kenosha Shooting Suspect

Representatives and current congressional candidate, deleted the meme shortly after posting it on his Facebook page. According to a screenshot of the meme shared by AL.com, the meme shows photos of two injured people on the ground paired with the phrase, "didn't fight back." Beneath the photos is another of Kenosha shooting suspect Kyle Rittenhouse beside the phrase, "fought back."

"I apologize for the graphic nature of a post earlier, showing scenes from the violence tearing through Kenosha," Moore wrote in an apology posted on Facebook on Saturday. "I should have expressed my feelings about the situation in words, not just with a meme."

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 am https://www.newsweek.com/alabama-gop-co ... ng-1528614
Alabama GOP Congressional Candidate Faces Backlash After Posting and Deleting Meme on Kenosha Shooting Suspect

Representatives and current congressional candidate, deleted the meme shortly after posting it on his Facebook page. According to a screenshot of the meme shared by AL.com, the meme shows photos of two injured people on the ground paired with the phrase, "didn't fight back." Beneath the photos is another of Kenosha shooting suspect Kyle Rittenhouse beside the phrase, "fought back."

"I apologize for the graphic nature of a post earlier, showing scenes from the violence tearing through Kenosha," Moore wrote in an apology posted on Facebook on Saturday. "I should have expressed my feelings about the situation in words, not just with a meme."

I somehow doubt he would be able to express his feelings any better with just words. :fingerwag:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You're right. The few words on the meme, not the picture, were his doom. :lol:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hubs is a super laid-back kinda guy, he's practically horizontal. That said, he hates trump but the owner of the upholstery shop where he works is a trumper. They struck an agreement to never discuss politics...ever!

Then one day, after hubs got home from work, a neighbor (an independent) called hubs and told him that, while walking his dog, he noticed a trump sticker on the bumper of hubs' dually. Hubs was out of that chair and in the driveway like lightning. I don't think I've ever seen him move that fast. It apparently hadn't been there long and came off pretty cleanly.

He knew exactly where that sticker came from because one of the customers brought in a bunch and put them on the counter so the next day, hubs confronted his boss. Hubs made it very clear he wasn't taking that kind of shit from anyone and he'd be happy to pack his tools right then and there. (He's the only upholsterer the guy has and only does it because he loves doing it. It's a dying profession and if you're not willing to hire possibly undocumented immigrants, it's almost impossible to find someone with the necessary skillz). He almost never loses his temper but apparently lost it big-time that day. The chickenshit denied it and blamed his brother, who doesn't work there but stores his bike in the garage. Hubs told him, the next time brother came in to ride, he was going to find his bike covered in Hillary and Obama stickers.

The next day boss fessed up, apparently afraid hubs was going to carry out his threat. What a trumpanzee.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This posting belongs here and also in "The media is a #$*$*#^!!! Problem".

I just heard Mitch McConnell being asked if he knew how bad the coronavirus is. He answered that both he and the president knew how bad it was and the president should be credited... blah blah blah.

Why the F%$K isn't the very next question or response from the media..."Trump admitted he knew the virus was not only seriously bad, but he admitted on February 9th in a recorded conversation that what makes it so bad is that all you have to do is breathe it in. So, why does he continue to encourage the anti-mask protesters and continue to downplay and flat out poo-poo the idea of wearing a mask". Every freaking person in the media should be pointing out, and Biden should be pointing out - that in spite of Trump knowing that what makes this virus so dangerous is that you just "breathe it in" and yet he is STILL encouraging anti-mask attitudes.

That is criminal level negligence - obviously not in US legal actuality, but in reality actuality - Trump is criminally negligent.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local ... e-breaking

DPS: Attorney General reported hitting a deer, but man's body discovered the next morning

South Dakota's attorney general reported hitting a deer Saturday night but actually hit and killed a man whose body wasn’t discovered until the next morning, the Department of Public Safety said Monday morning.
Because an adult male totally looks like a deer. The initial report "doesn't say" if the AG stopped. I can't help but wonder if alcohol was involved and somebody had to get home to sober up before facing the music. I mean, if it was an accident, if the guy was, (for example) riding an unlit bike down a dark road (which I have no idea is the case), why not stop? Why not stop just to see what kind of damage was done to your car and if it's safe to continue? Maybe make sure the "deer" carcass isn't a hazard in the middle of the road.

ImageImageImage x4
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

He was too drunk to see it was a human being.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 pm https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local ... e-breaking

DPS: Attorney General reported hitting a deer, but man's body discovered the next morning

South Dakota's attorney general reported hitting a deer Saturday night but actually hit and killed a man whose body wasn’t discovered until the next morning, the Department of Public Safety said Monday morning.
Because an adult male totally looks like a deer. The initial report "doesn't say" if the AG stopped. I can't help but wonder if alcohol was involved and somebody had to get home to sober up before facing the music. I mean, if it was an accident, if the guy was, (for example) riding an unlit bike down a dark road (which I have no idea is the case), why not stop? Why not stop just to see what kind of damage was done to your car and if it's safe to continue? Maybe make sure the "deer" carcass isn't a hazard in the middle of the road.
Here's a clue.
The attorney general had been driving home to Pierre after attending the Spink County Lincoln Day Dinner in Redfield, Bormann said. The event was hosted at Rooster’s Bar and Grill from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., according to the website of the South Dakota GOP.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Ugh. That's a horrible case to prosecute, too. They're not going to be able to prove he was drunk (although common sense makes it highly likely), and I'm sure a handsomely-paid defense team will conjure an expert who can come up with all kinds of scenarios in which a reasonable person could have made such a mistake.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm Ugh. That's a horrible case to prosecute, too. They're not going to be able to prove he was drunk (although common sense makes it highly likely), and I'm sure a handsomely-paid defense team will conjure an expert who can come up with all kinds of scenarios in which a reasonable person could have made such a mistake.
I grew up in splat-a-deer country, and I’ve never known anyone to drive off. Partly because deer tend to make dent, partly because you might get a tag for it and have some venison. Partly because any normal person wants to know what that big thud was.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm Ugh. That's a horrible case to prosecute, too. They're not going to be able to prove he was drunk (although common sense makes it highly likely), and I'm sure a handsomely-paid defense team will conjure an expert who can come up with all kinds of scenarios in which a reasonable person could have made such a mistake.
Would someone coming forward at the bar & grill be of any help? Maybe a waitress? Of course, it might just put a target on her back. I have no idea what the area is like.

ImageImageImage x4
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:22 pm

I grew up in splat-a-deer country, and I’ve never known anyone to drive off. Partly because deer tend to make dent, partly because you might get a tag for it and have some venison. Partly because any normal person wants to know what that big thud was.
I've seen two calf elk dead on the side of the road, and the drivers apparently didn't bother to report, apparently didn't bother to stop, and certainly didn't get a tag for venison. That's remarkable, since a calf elk is large enough to do some serious damage to a vehicle, too. Guess both times the drivers figured they knew what made that big thud.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Off Topic
The reason Pennsylvania is listed in the top ten for dangerous roads: so many deer. I'vs seen them in the middle of the city.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!

Return to “Congress”