Republicans Behaving Badly

spiduh

Re: Republicans Behaving Badly

Post by spiduh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Secular Americans Vote Mississippi “God’s Army” Legislation Worst State Bill in the Nation
:snippity:
The "Mississippi Church Protection Act" would allow churches to empower designated members of their congregation as part of a security team with a "shoot to kill" authority equivalent to a police officer but with less government oversight. The bill contains few restrictions regarding where one may act within this capacity, allowing a church's volunteer security personnel to exercise this authority in public and private venues outside of the church.

The bill passed the House in February and is awaiting a floor vote in the Senate. It was introduced by House Judiciary Rep. Andy Gipson, a minister, who said he occasionally carries a firearm while at the pulpit. Mississippi already allows firearms inside of churches, howeverGipson's bill would provide legal immunities for members of the church's security team that would also apply in some public places outside of the church itself.

"The ‘Mississippi Church of Protection Act' is well deserving of the title for ‘Worst State Bill.' This legislation would put ‘soldiers of God' above the law, allowing them to act as judge, jury, and executioner," said Larry T. Decker, Executive Director of the Secular Coalition for America. "Religious institutions are already exempt from taxation, financial transparency, and many civil rights laws. The Mississippi Church Protection Act would constitute an unprecedented and dangerous next step. Belonging to a church should not afford anyone the same rights and protections as law enforcement. This legislation emboldens extremists by creating a legal means for radical preachers to enlist their congregants into ‘God's army.'"
https://www.secular.org/news/secular-am ... ill-nation
“If they kill me, grab my phone.” –Ammon Bundy (Reuters)
"Yes, I Did Turn the Flying Monkeys Loose!" -Anna von Reitz (FB)
"I 'Self Identify' as a female" -Jon Ritzheimer (FB)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Can we just replace Mississippi with Puerto-Rico?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:37 am

Chilidog wrote:Can we just replace Mississippi with Puerto-Rico?
Andy Gipson is a stark raving lunatic. He's also the sponsor of the anti-gay law just passed, but I think he way underestimated the support for this POS legislation. Pastors all over the state have been coming out against this but I don't remember seeing a single one, other than Gipson himself, supporting it. I haven't been following it closely but there have been several articles about local preachers opposing it. Maybe I'll look at it a little more if my stomach can take it.

This bill also contains language making it legal to conceal carry in a holster, which has nothing to do with churches. Maybe Philbilly the Fuckwitted Moron will leave it lying on his desk unsigned, but I doubt it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:46 am

Someone should point out to them that the law would protect Muslim extremists as well.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:09 am

Dennis Hastert accused of sexual abuse by at least 4, sources say

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watc ... story.html
For months, federal authorities have hinted at the motive behind the hush-money payments former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert has admitted to making: the sexual abuse of a teenage boy when Hastert was still a suburban high school teacher and wrestling coach.

But now, a Tribune investigation has uncovered new details of the case — at least four people have made what law enforcement sources say are credible allegations of sexual abuse against Hastert.

The Tribune has determined the identities of three of them, all men, whose allegations stretch over a decade when they were teenagers and Hastert was their coach. One is dead. The Tribune has approached the other two — described in federal court records as Individuals A and D — and confirmed their roles in the case.

The man who received $1.7 million from Hastert and is at the center of the federal indictment — Individual A — declined to be interviewed by the Tribune. Behind the government's carefully worded court documents, reporters discovered a sometimes-pained narrative of his life since his days as a standout wrestler in the 1970s and how his interactions with Hastert might have affected him.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:53 am

spiduh wrote:
Secular Americans Vote Mississippi “God’s Army” Legislation Worst State Bill in the Nation
The "Mississippi Church Protection Act" would allow churches to empower designated members of their congregation as part of a security team with a "shoot to kill" authority equivalent to a police officer but with less government oversight. The bill contains few restrictions regarding where one may act within this capacity, allowing a church's volunteer security personnel to exercise this authority in public and private venues outside of the church.
Does this apply to any "church" or is wording limited to "christian"? Do they need a shock therapie with Muslim "security guards" also on a rampage? And can adherents of The Flying Spaghetti Monster now legally roam the streets in pirate attire and swinging long sharp swords to enhance public safety?

spiduh

Post by spiduh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 am

RTH10260 wrote:
spiduh wrote:
Does this apply to any "church" or is wording limited to "christian"? Do they need a shock therapie with Muslim "security guards" also on a rampage? And can adherents of The Flying Spaghetti Monster now legally roam the streets in pirate attire and swinging long sharp swords to enhance public safety?
For purposes of this act, "church" or
30 "place of worship" means and shall only be applicable to a bona
31 fide duly constituted religious society, ecclesiastical body or
32 any congregation thereof that was operating as such at the time of
33 any actions described in this act.
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/docume ... 0786PS.pdf

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 am

spiduh wrote:
So, of course, the next question is how do they determine what counts as a "bona fide duly constituted religious society..." Does it have to have some kind of centralized administrative body, or can churches that have remained independent of such affiliations be considered "legit"?

What utter crap.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 am

Interesting definition. I'm sure they will be happy with the Nation of Islam nutters being all black and armed on their streets. Black Power!!
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:00 pm

spiduh wrote:
Hmmm - they wish by law to define what a church is? I guess ACLU will be riding in with the cavalry real soon now. The Church of the FSM will not be ignored as not "bona fide". And they intend to reject any future religious organisations from using armed security - is that legally nondiscriminatory?

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Pro tip: Remember to churchify your posse, gang or lynch mob whenever you go to kill someone. Singing a hymn ("Onward Christian Soldiers", for example, seems well-suited), spouting preachy language or thumping bibles oughta get you a pass. There's no loophole in the law that allows for post-hoc churchification. (Of course, you can always lie, but that goes without saying.)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:47 pm

Piffle wrote:Pro tip: Remember to churchify your posse, gang or lynch mob whenever you go to kill someone. Singing a hymn ("Onward Christian Soldiers", for example, seems well-suited), spouting preachy language or thumping bibles oughta get you a pass. There's no loophole in the law that allows for post-hoc churchification. (Of course, you can always lie, but that goes without saying.)
What's the proof of churchification? IRS tax excemption?

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

chancery

Post by chancery » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Andy Gipson is a stark raving lunatic. He's also the sponsor of the anti-gay law just passed, but I think he way underestimated the support for this POS legislation. Pastors all over the state have been coming out against this but I don't remember seeing a single one, other than Gipson himself, supporting it.
I think (and hope) you meant that he overestimated the support?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:11 pm

April 11, 2016
Feds charge Texas AG Ken Paxton with fraud

AUSTIN – The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission accused Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on Monday of breaking federal securities laws, yet another blow to the first-term Republican, who faces three criminal indictments and a state bar complaint.

The new civil charges allege Paxton convinced – even “pressured” – five people to invest in a North Texas tech firm called Servergy Inc., all while hiding that he had not invested himself, and was, in fact, getting paid a commission by the company.

“Despite a duty to do so, Paxton knowingly or recklessly failed to inform the individuals he recruited that he was being compensated to promote Servergy to investors,” the SEC complaint read. Paxton is accused of raising $840,000 from investors for the company in exchange for 100,000 shares of Servergy stock from then-chief executive William Mapp III.

Paxton will fight these new charges in federal court, his attorney said Monday, while he simultaneously appeals three criminal indictments a Collin County grand jury lodged against him last year. Two of the indictments allege the same misconduct as mentioned in the SEC charges, while a third accuses him of funneling clients to a friend’s investment firm without being properly registered with the state. <snip>
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... robe.html/

One of the earlier posts about this: (you can search for a couple more)
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... on#p671662

NOTE: NOT Board index Politics and the Economy Congress
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:38 pm

I think Paxton might deserve his own thread.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:08 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
spiduh wrote:
Hmmm - they wish by law to define what a church is? I guess ACLU will be riding in with the cavalry real soon now. The Church of the FSM will not be ignored as not "bona fide". And they intend to reject any future religious organisations from using armed security - is that legally nondiscriminatory?
I'm wondering about how they'll handle the small autonomous groups like covens and kindreds common in the Pagan community. There are very few organizations that serve as any kind of central authority for local groups. There are some that serve as an umbrella group to help people find covens/kindred in there area, while others provide ordination - though typically that is done on an individual basis and they do not provide any kind of "approval" or oversight of covens/kindred the ordained persons may serve. There's also still a question as to whether the ordination from these groups are viewed like an ordination from a more traditional church or like one from the ULC.

For the most part, though, each coven or kindred is its own thing, so I don't know how they'd be able to demonstrate they are a bone fide church, even though they serve all the same functions a traditional church would for their respective communities. In some ways they are similar to the various non-denominational churches that run independent of any centralized authority, but are still generally considered to be "real" churches.

I have no doubt they'll try to deny such status to "alternative" religions - and in some ways it's a bit of a moot point since not that many covens or kindred are going to feel a need for armed defenders (and with covens, especially, their members are more likely to be anti-gun than to own guns) but I have to question the constitutionality of making such a deteremination.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Nearly four dozen letters in support of former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert were made public Friday evening in advance of his sentencing on hush money charges next week, including one from his former congressional colleagueTom DeLay.

"We all have our flaws, but Dennis Hastert has very few," wrote DeLay, who served as the Republican majority leader under Hastert in the early 2000s. "He is a good man that loves the Lord. He gets his integrity and values from Him. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: He doesn't deserve what he is going through. I ask that you consider the man that is before you and give him leniency where you can."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Yeah, Jesus was a pedophile too! Poor Denny IS THE VICTIM HERE!!
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:39 pm

The Hammer as character witness? Can't make this shit up.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

ArchangelGabriel

Conservatives Behaving Badly

Post by ArchangelGabriel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:32 am

Boris Johnson vs Barack H. Obama

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/ba ... er-gutter/

A worthy read ....

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Volkonski wrote::o :shock: :o :shock: :shock:

Texas secession resolution passes GOP committee, headed for Party vote Saturday

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 676280.php
A proposal to put Texas secession to a non-binding vote in March passed a state GOP committee vote in Austin on Friday afternoon, clearing the way for a vote Saturday by the Party's full executive assembly, party officials reported.

Party leadership has said the independence item won't likely be approved in a full-body vote. An informal poll of executive committee members conducted by the Chronicle showed the assembly was split on the issue.

The resolution would put a breakup with Uncle Sam to a non-binding vote, which would essentially serve as an opinion poll and wouldn't legally compel Texas to secede.

It was introduced by State Republican Executive Committee member Tanya Robertson, who represents parts of Harris, Galveston and Brazoria counties. In November, she told the Chronicle that many of her constituents had voiced support for a reborn Republic of Texas, the short-lived nation of the mid-1800s
Nope, not this year. :nope: However, it shows how far the crazies have come in taking over the GOP that it got this far. :?

GOP committee ends talk of secession at party convention

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 466700.php
A Texas GOP committee struck secession language from a proposed party platform late Thursday, ending anticipation for an independence debate on the convention floor Friday.

Party leaders voted 16 to 14 in favor of nixing the language with one member abstaining. For now, that's likely the end of a saga that drew national attention as an activist group ably advanced the call for Texas independence through the state GOP apparatus to the party convention, even as party leaders and most members scoffed at the notion.

It was the most high-profile emergence of Texas recurrent secessionist movement since the early 1990s, when the country watched a west Texas hostage situation unfold. Now advocates of the fringe agenda say they come away encouraged.

Indeed most observers were surprised to see the proposal to ditch Uncle Sam make it this far.
It was thanks to the activist efforts of the Texas Nationalist Movement, a Nederland-based secessionist group that has picked up momentum and visibility in the last year. Unlike typical Texas pro-independence activism, like waving flags and making public decrees of outrage, the TNM set to work within the Texas GOP to push their agenda.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 am

:rotflmao: :swoon:
A Conservative Christian Politician Left the Porn Tabs Open on Screenshots He Posted to Facebook
by: Hemant Mehta

Mike Webb is running for Congress from Virginia’s 8th District as a conservative Republican, but didn’t get the primary nod earlier this month at the state’s GOP convention. So now, he’s running as an independent.

Actually, scratch that. Now, he may not be running at all.

His website is down, and earlier today, he posted a story on Facebook intending to trash the Democratic incumbent. It mentions some prank calls he received from a staffing agency in the candidate’s district (as if the calls were the fault of the Congressman). To verify the story, he posted screenshots of the agency’s information as it appeared on a search engine, along with his phone records showing the calls (unintentionally giving away his own home address and phone number). But the most interesting things were the unclosed tabs in his browser.
Moar including screenshots:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... witterfeed

spiduh

Post by spiduh » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Ha, that's a good one Karen Walker.
Mark Callahan for U.S. Senate
8 hrs ·
Let's Get Rid of Ron Wyden!! (electorally) This is a link to an interview I did with Jayne Carroll on KUIK 1320AM on 5/16/16: http://hillsboro.kuik.com/…/Jayne_05161 ... ahanUSSena… . Please Share, and Enjoy. Thanks.

The fact that he felt it necessary to include "electorally" speaks a lot to his target voter.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:04 am

While we were transfixed on the Trussell trial, another one was finishing up in Alabama for the Speaker of the Alabama Legislature. He was found guilty on 12 of 23 felony ethics charges. He is facing many years of prison time.

http://www.al.com/#/0

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... _big-photo

The state legislature appears to be hopelessly corrupt.

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:00 pm

esseff44 wrote: The state legislature appears to be hopelessly corrupt.
That's unfair, esseff. The governor and the judiciary are equally corrupt.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Return to “Congress”