House Ethics Committee: Re Devin Nunes, Conflict of Interest, Abuse of Office; Bidens, Ukraine

Addie

House Ethics Committee: Re Devin Nunes, Conflict of Interest, Abuse of Office; Bidens, Ukraine

Post by Addie »

Newsweek
Devin Nunes Spent $57,000 on Flights to Europe to Allegedly Investigate Bidens as Ethics Complaint Filed Over 'Abuse' of Office ...

The figures seem to confirm allegations made by Lev Parnas—a Ukrainian-born American who worked as a "fixer" for Rudy Giuliani before being indicted on criminal charges—who said that he helped Nunes arrange meetings with various Ukrainian officials to dig up dirt on Biden. ...

It follows a letter that was sent by the Democratic Coalition to the House Ethics Committee that raised the conflict of interest and called for an investigation. ...

"Rep. Nunes allegedly met foreign officials on an overseas Congressional delegation using taxpayer funds which appears to be related to obtaining materials solely for the purposes of domestic politics," the letter said.

"Rep. Nunes is currently engaged in overseeing an investigation which it appears he is a fact witness, and which may examine his own activities meeting with foreign officials.

"Rep. Nunes is aware of the actual conflict of interest from his relationships to persons under investigation by the House Intelligence Committee for the purposes of an impeachment inquiry upon which it must issue a report, but failed to either disclose his conflict of interest with the investigation or that he has firsthand knowledge of the persons of interest to the committee.

"This is a complaint against Rep. Nunes for abuse of his official office in violation of House rule XXIII."

Kendra

Re: House Ethics Committee: Re Devin Nunes, Conflict of Interest, Abuse of Office; Bidens, Ukraine

Post by Kendra »

Do listen to his rant this morning, he's going to take these criminals to court!

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: House Ethics Committee: Re Devin Nunes, Conflict of Interest, Abuse of Office; Bidens, Ukraine

Post by fierceredpanda »

Yet another reversal of longstanding GOP policy positions. Republicans used to be in favor of tort reform.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Nunes threatens to take CNN, Daily Beast to court over story about meeting with Ukrainian prosecutor ...

The ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee told Maria Bartiromo on Fox News that he plans to take both news organizations to federal court “right after Thanksgiving” and that he hopes they will cooperate.

He criticized the outlets' "fake news" reports that said an attorney for indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas said Parnas had knowledge about a meeting between Nunes and ousted Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin last year. The representative slammed the media for using “indicted criminals” as sources.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't work in the criminal justice system but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a lot of people in prison right now on the word of indicted criminals. Paul Manafort comes to mind.
Hubs (and me) at the Rockabilly Fest
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Addie wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:00 pm
The Hill: Nunes threatens to take CNN, Daily Beast to court over story about meeting with Ukrainian prosecutor ...

The ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee told Maria Bartiromo on Fox News that he plans to take both news organizations to federal court “right after Thanksgiving” and that he hopes they will cooperate.

He criticized the outlets' "fake news" reports that said an attorney for indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas said Parnas had knowledge about a meeting between Nunes and ousted Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin last year. The representative slammed the media for using “indicted criminals” as sources.
His clown lawyer doesn't want to be in federal court. Nunes will be destroyed by CNN's lawyers. I'm guessing the Daily Beast also has insurance that will provide them with some good lawyers too. Seems to me to be Nunes trying to distract because he's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Would anyone else very much like to know how Nunes is financing his spree of litigiousness? I know I would.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:11 pm
Would anyone else very much like to know how Nunes is financing his spree of litigiousness? I know I would.
:mememe:

So far I suspect it hasn't cost him much. He's got a two-bit lawyer who probably isn't billing him. Just some filing fees and service of process fees. Biss (the two-bit lawyer) is in way over his head. Maybe Consovoy will have some free time soon!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:43 pm
https:// mobile.twitter.com/MariaBartiromo/status/1198636810408210432we
Maria Bartiromo @MariaBartiromo
Nunes: We are going to take CNN and Daily Beast to court http://ow.ly/Mck430pVXs5 @SundayFutures @FoxNews

17:17 - 24 Nov 2019
Do listen to his rant this morning, he's going to take these criminals to court!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I'm waiting to see the travel receipts and hotel bills, flight plans and passport stamps.

:?: How does the expense thing work in Congress? Do trips need pre approval, or do they have a government charge card? Does anyone look close and approve the expenses so they're not milking the money jar.

One would think the receipts are still around somewhere where they can be looked up. Can we get an enterprising reporter on this?

Addie

Post by Addie »

Newsweek: Ex-Polish President Who Serves on Burisma Board Suggests Hunter Biden Never Said Anything About His Father
Fresno Bee Editorial: Devin Nunes must stop suing fake cows and explain $60,000 Europe trip

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN
Democrats obtained phone records showing how Trump allies coordinated 'false narratives'

(CNN) Armed with never-before-seen phone records, Democrats on Tuesday accused President Donald Trump's allies of coordinating with a conservative journalist to peddle "false narratives" about Trump's opponents as part of his multi-pronged pressure campaign on Ukraine.

The House Intelligence Committee's impeachment report -- which was made public Tuesday -- says the committee's top Repubican, Rep. Devin Nunes of California, was linked to that effort.

The records, according to Intelligence Committee member Rep. Eric Swalwell, were subpoenaed from third-parties. ...

The phone records, which are labeled in the report's endnotes as coming from AT&T, show a web of communications between Solomon, Trump personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, Ukrainian American businessman Lev Parnas, Nunes and the White House's budget office. CNN is owned by AT&T.

"Like all companies, we are required by law to provide information to government and law enforcement agencies. In all cases, we ensure that requests for assistance are valid and that we act in compliance with the law," said Jim Greer, a spokesman for AT&T.

Many of these calls occurred in April, according to the Democratic report, the same time Solomon pumped out columns in The Hill. The stories were filled with discredited conspiracy theories about then-US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch and former Vice President Joe Biden, whose son was on the board of a prominent Ukrainian energy company.

The Democratic report identifies at least four phone calls or attempted calls between Parnas and Nunes, including one call on April 12 that lasted longer than eight minutes. Within an hour of that call, Parnas also spoke with Giuliani, who later connected with Trump's attorney Jay Sekulow and a "White House phone number," according to the phone records.

The call logs show the extent the Democratic investigators went to get hands on any evidence it could get, even as the administration blocked access to records. The records were not discussed publicly before the release of the report.
Adding:
Rolling Stone: Trump’s Ukraine Shakedown Scheme Was a Textbook Case of Abuse of Power, Report Says

This is what a lawless president looks like
The Hill: Nunes files defamation suit against CNN over Ukraine story
Talking Points Memo: What We Learned From The Phone Records Obtained In The Impeachment Probe

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche
·
1h
Lev Parnas' attorney, Joseph Bondy, added: "Devin Nunes was definitely part of an attempt to gather information about the Bidens. He was definitely involved in Ukraine. He definitely had involvement in the GOP shadow diplomacy efforts in Ukraine, contrary to his claims."
Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche
·
1h
Lev Parnas had "no idea" that House Intel Committee had phone records of his calls w/ Rudy Giuliani and Devin Nunes. But Parnas' lawyer said it is "particularly gratifying" that physical evidence of Nunes' connection has been revealed through phone records after Nunes' denials.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/devin-nunes-sues-cnn
Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., sued CNN for defamation on Tuesday, accusing the cable network of publishing a “demonstrably false hit piece” about him amid his high-profile opposition to the Trump impeachment inquiry.

The 47-page lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the liberal network of publishing “numerous egregiously false and defamatory” statements about Nunes on Nov. 22, 2019 when journalist Vicky Ward reported claims that Nunes met with Ukranian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, in Vienna in 2018 to dig "up dirt" on Hunter and Joe Biden.

WATCH DEVIN NUNES DISCUSS HIS SUIT AGAINST CNN ON 'HANNITY' TONIGHT AT 9 PM ET ON FOX NEWS CHANNEL

Nunes, who has been leading GOP opposition to the House Democratic impeachment inquiry in the House Intelligence Committee, says he “did not go to Vienna or anywhere else in Austria in 2018” and “has never met” Shokin.

“CNN is the mother of fake news. It is the least trusted name. CNN is eroding the fabric of America, proselytizing, sowing distrust and disharmony. It must be held accountable,” the lawsuit, obtained by Fox News, states.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Nunes is just begging for some cranky judge to designate him a vexatious litigant.

Addie

Post by Addie »

McClatchy: Devin Nunes’ calls to Giuliani, Lev Parnas have Democrats exploring discipline

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm
Nunes is just begging for some cranky judge to designate him a vexatious litigant.
In California at least, vexatious litigants are pro pers. Nunes has Steven Biss to file the frivolous lawsuits for him.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
Law & Crime: Whistleblower’s Lawyer Responds to GOP Rep.’s Challenge: I’d ‘Happily’ Discuss My Communications with Nunes

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Hay, constituents in CA22 who haven’t had a town hall in a decade. Call Devin. He picks up🐮#CallDevin

Addie

Post by Addie »

Fresno Bee: Fact check: Was Devin Nunes ‘vindicated’ by report on FBI’s Trump investigation?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Devin Nunes Threatened to Sue Ted Lieu for Saying He Conspired with Lev Parnas
by Jerry Lambe | 12:21 pm, January 16th, 2020

Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA) revealed on Wednesday that House colleague Devin Nunes (R-CA) threatened to sue him for saying that he conspired with former Rudy Giuliani associate Lev Parnas.

Lieu disclosed the threat minutes after Parnas spoke about relationship with Nunes and Nunes aide Derek Harvey in an interview with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow. Lieu said Nunes’s attorney wrote him a letter demanding an apology for his comments — or else.

“Amazing Lev Parnas interview on [The Rachel Maddow Show]. Also, I’m disclosing that the lawyer for [Rep. Nunes] wrote a letter saying Rep Nunes will sue me if I didn’t apologize for saying last month that Nunes conspired with Parnas,” Lieu wrote, adding, “Devin, I’m adding to my statement: ‘Your pants are on fire.’”

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/de ... ev-parnas/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

So little Devin couldn't run to Faux fast enough last night to give an absurd reason that he was talking to Lev Parnas. Just a "random call" where they spoke of random stuff and he referred Lev to his "aide." IIRC, the phone records showed the call lasted approximately 9 minutes. Devin is a terribly weak liar. I would love to depose him.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Weren't there two drives of files from Parnas that Schiff sent off to whoever, one of which was not intended by the public? Is it possible that there's more call info (or similar) between Devvie and Parnas that prompted him to walk back his prior *I didn't know him* comments?

Return to “Congress”