House Oversight: Kellyanne Conway Re Hatch Act Violations

Addie

House Oversight: Kellyanne Conway Re Hatch Act Violations

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:46 am

Politico
House Oversight threatens to subpoena Kellyanne Conway

The House Oversight and Reform Committee will vote to authorize a subpoena for White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Wednesday if she does not show up for the panel’s hearing on her alleged violations of the Hatch Act, according to a memo sent to lawmakers.

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel has cited Conway for multiple violations of the Hatch Act, and earlier this month, Special Counsel Henry J. Kerner recommended that President Donald Trump terminate her White House employment.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), the chairman of the committee, invited both Kerner and Conway to attend Wednesday’s hearing. Cummings asked Conway to inform the panel by Monday at 5 p.m. whether she plans to attend. As of Friday, according to the committee’s memo, neither Conway nor the White House had responded.

The Hatch Act bars federal employees from participating in political speech while performing their official duties. The OSC is an independent federal agency.
Adding:
House.gov: A Resolution Offered by Chairman Elijah E. Cummings Authorizing Issuance of Subpoena Related to the Hatch Act

Kendra

Re: House Oversight: Kellyanne Conway Re Hatch Act Violations

Post by Kendra » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:35 am

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:26 pm

I expect DOTUS to pardon himself and his relatives for everything prior to leaving office, but I suspect that will be the limit of his pardons. What are the penalties a new administration can impose for such violations?
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm

woodworker wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:26 pm
I expect DOTUS to pardon himself and his relatives for everything prior to leaving office, but I suspect that will be the limit of his pardons. What are the penalties a new administration can impose for such violations?
I don't think the Hatch Act specifies any penalties at all. So a new administration can do nothing.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:49 pm

When are they going to start hauling these assholes off in handcuffs for ignoring the laws, and subpoenas and all the other legal niceties that regular people are supposed to abide by?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:49 pm
When are they going to start hauling these assholes off in handcuffs for ignoring the laws, and subpoenas and all the other legal niceties that regular people are supposed to abide by?
The Hatch Act isn't a criminal statute. The penalty is supposed to be losing your job as a government worker. But seeing as the Executive Branch is headed by POTUS, he can decide that you don't have to lose your job. Do what Kelleyanne did while being a low-level worker at a USDA office in Bumfuck, Idaho, and your ass will hit the curb within the hour.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:39 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:49 pm
The Hatch Act isn't a criminal statute. The penalty is supposed to be losing your job as a government worker. But seeing as the Executive Branch is headed by POTUS, he can decide that you don't have to lose your job. Do what Kelleyanne did while being a low-level worker at a USDA office in Bumfuck, Idaho, and your ass will hit the curb within the hour.
Didn't she renege on testifying to some committee recently? Seems like that alone would be enough to fire her ass at the very least.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 pm

She serves at the pleasure of the President. That's the actual operative phrase. If she refuses to testify because he directed her not to, he's not going to fire her. What would get her fired would be defying her boss.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:46 pm
She serves at the pleasure of the President. That's the actual operative phrase. If she refuses to testify because he directed her not to, he's not going to fire her. What would get her fired would be defying her boss.
I read that as "she serves to pleasure the President" :twisted:

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm

:sick:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 am

New York Times
White House Directs Conway Not to Testify Before House Panel

WASHINGTON — The White House is directing Kellyanne Conway, the president’s counselor, to reject a request to testify before a House committee about her repeated violations of a federal ethics law that bars government officials from engaging in political activities at work, further escalating a standoff between Congress and the Trump administration over oversight requests.

In a letter sent on Monday night to Representative Elijah E. Cummings, the chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, the White House counsel, Pat A. Cipollone, cited “longstanding precedent” in declining the invitation for Ms. Conway to appear before the committee.

“The precedent for members of the White House staff to decline invitations to testify before congressional committees has been consistently adhered to by administrations of both political parties,” Mr. Cipollone wrote, citing letters from former counsels to Presidents Barack Obama, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

The Oversight Committee is now preparing to subpoena Ms. Conway and will move to hold her in contempt if she does not comply, Mr. Cummings said. “We cannot have people disobeying the law. The president is not above the law, and nor is Ms. Conway above the law,” Mr. Cummings said. “There are many, many federal employees who are obedient with regard to the Hatch Act.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:56 am

C-Span
Wednesday, June 26
10am ET
The House Oversight and Reform Committee holds a hearing on the Office of Special Counsel’s recommendation that President Trump fire White House counselor Kellyanne Conway for violating the Hatch Act.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Vote to subpoena passed. Amash voted yes, on that side.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:04 pm

What will Mr. Kellyanne have to say?
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 pm

Kelleyanne no-showed today's hearing. White House Counsel Pat Cippolone sent another letter saying she cannot be compelled to testify about anything relating to her role as senior advisor to the President. Which is essentially a declaration that the White House is immune from any and all oversight.

Why not go with this angle? By the time the courts get around to ruling on it, Trump will be finishing his second term in office.

We're screwed.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:15 pm

The courts will never get around to ruling on this stuff if the House does not bring suit to enforce the subpoenas. :bored:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Kelleyanne no-showed today's hearing. White House Counsel Pat Cippolone sent another letter saying she cannot be compelled to testify about anything relating to her role as senior advisor to the President. Which is essentially a declaration that the White House is immune from any and all oversight.

Why not go with this angle? By the time the courts get around to ruling on it, Trump will be finishing his second term in office.

We're screwed.
If only the fathers of the constitution had foreseen this.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Return to “Congress”