State of the Union: Feb 5 2019

Addie

State of the Union: Feb 5 2019

Post by Addie »

BBC News
Democrats ask Trump to delay State of the Union speech

Democrats have asked President Donald Trump to postpone a speech to Congress, arguing security cannot be guaranteed due to the government shutdown.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said in a letter to Mr Trump that "unless government re-opens this week" the event should be re-scheduled.

Mr Trump is due to address Congress for the annual State of the Union speech on 29 January.

The US government is partially shut due to a row over border wall funding.

In Wednesday's letter, Mrs Pelosi cited the "extraordinary demands presented" by the event as the reason for postponing.

She wrote: "Both the US Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security have not been funded for 26 days now - with critical departments hamstrung by furloughs.

"Sadly, given the current security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to Congress on January 29th."
Addie

Re: State of the Union: 2019

Post by Addie »

WaPo: Pelosi asks Trump to postpone State of the Union address because of government shutdown — or deliver it in writing ...

Pelosi later told reporters that the letter was intended as a suggestion and that she was not rescinding the invitation for Trump to speak. “He can make it from the Oval Office if he wants,” she added.
USA Today: Citing 'security concerns' due to government shutdown, Speaker Pelosi urges delay of State of the Union address
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

May I suggest he simply tweet his SOTU address? It's the most cost-efficient way to do it during the #TrumpShutdown and, as an added bonus, American's do not have their Tuesday evening TeeVee line-up preempted (again). :pray:
Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

I play GO. I've looked at the Meuller Investigation as a Go Game. It's all about capturing territory and blocking your opponent.
The McConnel-Thwimp Shutdown has seen its final move.
Here's her letter:
DxCitYzX0AEUyzr.jpg-large.jpeg
January 16, 2019

The President

The White House

1600 Avenue, Northwest
Washington, DC. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

On January it was my privilege as Speaker to invite you to deliver the State of the Union
address on January 29th. The Constitution calls for the President to ?from time to time give to the
Congress Information of the State of the Union.? During the 19th Century and up until the
presidency of Woodrow Wilson, these annual State of the Union messages were delivered to
Congress in writing. And since the start of modern budgeting in Fiscal Year 1977, a State of the
Union address has never been delivered during a government shutdown.

In September 2018, Secretary Nielsen designated State of the Union Addresses as National Special
Security Events (N SSEs), recognizing the need for ?the full resources of the Federal Government
to be brought to bear? to ensure the security of these events. The extraordinary demands presented
by NSSES require weeks of detailed planning with dozens of agencies working together to prepare
for the safety of all participants.

The US. Secret Service was designated as the lead federal agency responsible for coordinating,
planning, exercising, and implementing security for National Special Security Events by Public
Law 106-544, December 19, 2000. However, both the US. Secret Service and the Department of
Homeland Security have not been funded for 26 days now with critical departments hamstrung
by furloughs.

Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we
work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address
or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on
January

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

CY SI
Speaker of the House
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

I love Nancy Pelosi SO MUCH. :lovestruck:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I like "Sincerely," not "Respectfully." :thumbs:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am I like "Sincerely," not "Respectfully." :thumbs:
"Sincerely" appears more customary here. I'm more curious if the letter addressed to "The President" v. "President Donald J. Trump" is the rub?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

If there's one line in that letter that's going to set him off - and I think he's going to be very triggered when he reads it - it's the "thank you for your attention to this matter."

That one line simultaneously:
1: Sets up Pelosi as co-equal to Trump (if not superior);
2: Is perfectly polite and neutral in form yet holds clear overtones of "she's telling you what to do."

I'm seriously impressed. He's going to break shit when he reads it. It's a work of absolute beauty.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Yes, I absolutely love it. That letter is a work of art. Clear, concise, with NO fawning or histrionics, and perfectly proper and formal. As MD says, if Der Trumpenfurher doesn't start breaking furniture and chewing the carpet over this I will be greatly surprised. Definitely blood vessel popping quality.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I suppose if Trump does insist on giving the address to Congress, they can always just turn the lights off.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am May I suggest he simply tweet his SOTU address? It's the most cost-efficient way to do it during the #TrumpShutdown and, as an added bonus, American's do not have their Tuesday evening TeeVee line-up preempted (again). :pray:
Best choice evah - we don't have to listen to him. :twisted:
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm I suppose if Trump does insist on giving the address to Congress, they can always just turn the lights off.
As birthers lurve to say: the House Sergeant-at-Arms has the authority to arrest trespassers -- including the president.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
much ado

Post by much ado »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm I suppose if Trump does insist on giving the address to Congress, they can always just turn the lights off.
I don't think Trump has the authority to insist. The SOTU address is at the invitation of Congress. It is a 'fake' SOTU if it is not invited by the Congress and certainly cannot be held at the Capitol Building unless Pelosi allows it.

Pelosi is writing this letter from a position of power. Although phrased as a request, it is not actually a request.
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I think him tweeting it would be the best option, to everyone like he did that last thing he sent out.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
bob

Post by bob »

much ado wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm
I don't think Trump has the authority to insist. The SOTU address is at the invitation of Congress. It is a 'fake' SOTU if it is not invited by the Congress and certainly cannot be held at the Capitol Building unless Pelosi allows it.
The invitation requirement was a minor plot point in this West Wing episode.
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm
much ado wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm
The invitation requirement was a minor plot point in this West Wing episode.
I was thinking of exactly that scene when I saw Pelosi's letter.
Edit: A great episode. But so were pretty much all the episodes in the first few seasons.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Can the turtle invite him address the Senate?
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

I can hear it now: We’re facing the biggliest emergency ever!
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

CNN: Nancy Pelosi just pulled a major power move on Donald Trump's State of the Union
:snippity: There's an argument to be made, however, that it could backfire on Pelosi -- and in the process hand Trump a much-needed foothold in a debate he is very much losing at the moment.

Donald Trump Jr., in an interview with the conservative Daily Caller website, gave a preview of what the argument coming out of the White House might sound like when he said this Wednesday:

"Speaker Pelosi is clearly attempting to block my father from giving his State of the Union speech, not because 20% of the government is shut down, but because she is terrified of him having another opportunity to speak directly to the American people about her party's obstruction, unfiltered and without her friends in the media running interference for her."

Pelosi -- and Democrats -- will, of course, scoff at that logic. They will note that Kirstjen Nielsen, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, was the one who designated the SOTU speech as a special security event. And that it is Trump who continues to demand $5 billion for his border wall -- keeping the government closed until he gets it. And that Pelosi is doing what she feels is the best course to keep everyone safe under the current circumstances.

But the question is whether voters who may not like Trump but who just want the government to reopen and politicians to get back to working for the people who voted them into office will see Pelosi's move to effectively cancel the State of the Union as an unnecessary provocation. And whether Trump, who is desperately in search of a life preserver in this whole mess, can seize on Pelosi's decision as evidence that the left is trying to silence him.

My guess is he's going to try like hell to make that case.
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

More shade from the House:
... he [trump] can go see @SpeakerPelosi..."
bob

Post by bob »

PaulG wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm Can the turtle invite him address the Senate?
No; both chambers must invite the president.

Pelosi told the president that it's cool if he gave the SOTU from the Oval.
Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida »

Hopefully, none of the Dems take a page from Joe Wilson's book and yell "you lie", they would most certainly lose their voice in the first 15 minutes
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 am I love Nancy Pelosi SO MUCH. :lovestruck:
Me 2!!!!!! :thumbs: :lovestruck: :P
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

She educated him and the public also about the history of the SOTU. THEN she used his own appointee's (Nielsen's) actions and words in Pelosi's favor!

So professional, politic, and powerful!!!!!!!!

Oops, I forgot- :happyfamily: :bunny: :duel: :dogballoon:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

PaulG wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:15 pm Can the turtle invite him address the Senate?
But it would not be a SOTU
All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Return to “Congress”