Volkonski

Re: Oversight/Intel Committees - Feb 27 2019: Michael Cohen Testimony

Post by Volkonski » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:13 pm

John Dean

Verified account

@JohnWDean
15h15 hours ago
More John Dean Retweeted Anderson Cooper 360°
I asked Cohen’s attny what he’ll say? @LannyDavis responded while my cell was off: “He will pull the curtain back and we will hear true stories of Trump’s complicity in crimes, and his immoral, bigoted, and morally vacant character in specific, detailed personal anecdotes.”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:27 pm

I'm taking the day off.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm

The Hill
Cohen to testify before Senate Intel on Tuesday

Michael Cohen is scheduled to appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee for closed-door testimony Tuesday, a source familiar with the plans confirmed, teeing up a busy three days on Capitol Hill for President Trump’s former personal attorney.

Cohen is also slated to testify publicly before the House Oversight and Reform Committee next Wednesday, an appearance that promises high drama as lawmakers question the one-time Trump confidante about money paid to women who alleged affairs with Trump before the election, the president’s business dealings and other matters.

The former Trump lawyer will also appear before the House Intelligence Committee in a closed setting the following day as part of the panel’s revived and expanded investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Cohen was spotted on Capitol Hill on Thursday ahead of his testimony, though it was not immediately clear why he was there.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Cross-posting

New York Times
Cohen Gave Prosecutors New Information on the Trump Family Business

Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s former lawyer and fixer, met last month with federal prosecutors in Manhattan, offering information about possible irregularities within the president’s family business and about a donor to the inaugural committee, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Cohen, who worked at the Trump Organization for a decade, spoke with the prosecutors about insurance claims the company had filed over the years, said the people, who did not elaborate on the nature of the possible irregularities.

While it was not clear whether the prosecutors found Mr. Cohen’s information credible and whether they intended to pursue it, the meeting suggests that they are interested in broader aspects of the Trump Organization, beyond their investigation into the company’s role in the hush money payments made before the 2016 election to women claiming to have had affairs with Mr. Trump. Mr. Cohen pleaded guilty last summer to arranging those payments.

The prosecutors also questioned Mr. Cohen about a donor to the president’s inaugural committee, Imaad Zuberi, a California venture capitalist and political fund-raiser, according to the people familiar with the matter, who were not authorized to discuss the confidential meeting. Around the time that Mr. Zuberi contributed $900,000 to the committee, he also tried to hire Mr. Cohen as a consultant and wrote him a substantial check, one of the people said.
Adding:
Vox: Michael Cohen is sharing new information with federal prosecutors about Trump’s inauguration money

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Brandi Buchman
@BBuchman_CNS
Michael Cohen followers save the date. I'll live-tweet his testimony before the House Oversight Comm. this Wed 2/27 at 10AM ET for @CourthouseNews. Cohen will likely face Qs on hush $, campaign finance compliance & will provide insight into all things Trump. Hope you'll join me.

11:13 AM - Feb 25, 2019
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 am

CNN
Michael Cohen on Capitol Hill Tuesday, start of 3-day congressional gauntlet

(CNN) This week President Donald Trump's former fixer and attorney Michael Cohen is slated this week to discuss publicly for the first time Trump's role in some of the crimes Cohen pleaded guilty to last year, a source familiar with Cohen's preparations for his testimony told CNN.

In congressional testimony, Cohen is expected to give behind-the-scenes details raising questions of Trump's conduct in business and when he was a presidential candidate, according to the source. Cohen may also provide documents to back up his claims, the source said, though the congressional committees have not confirmed they have received anything new from Cohen.

Cohen is scheduled to appear before three congressional committees in three consecutive days this week, with one public and two private sessions, a Capitol Hill gauntlet that begins behind closed doors Tuesday before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Cohen arrived at the Senate Intelligence Committee's secure spaces on Tuesday without responding to questions from reporters.
Adding:
NPR: Get Caught Up On Michael Cohen, Trump's Ex-Lawyer, And His Big Week In D.C.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 am

WH statement.

I was just thinking, they could sell tickets to watch the live coverage and pay for his stinking wall. :sarcasm:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:51 am

Disgraced felon, Michael Cohen, whom the president trusted for years to act as his fixer and has documents and recordings implicating Donald Trump, ...

fixed it for her.
ImageImageImage x4

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 am

So... he can lie to Congress with impunity, then, Sarah? :think:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:22 am

New York Times - Maggie Haberman
Michael Cohen Is Said to Have Plans to Go Negative on Trump During Testimony ...

Mr. Trump and his allies have been preparing for days for Mr. Cohen’s testimony, which will take place over several hours while the president is in Vietnam for a summit meeting with the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un. The president’s aides have been anxious about the effect that the testimony might have on him.

They anticipate, though, that Republican allies on the House Committee on Oversight and Reform will aggressively question Mr. Cohen’s credibility, trying to paint him as a liar and accusing him of fabricating stories to help his cause.

Lanny J. Davis, a lawyer and adviser to Mr. Cohen, declined to discuss details of Mr. Cohen’s testimony, saying only that Mr. Cohen “worked very hard on this moment to not only tell the truth, but to back it up with documents.” Mr. Davis said Mr. Cohen’s response to questions about his truthfulness will be “I take full responsibility, I lied in the past; now you have to decide if I’m telling the truth.”

The testimony provides Mr. Cohen with the opportunity to tell his story under penalty of perjury before an audience of millions of people, about two months before he is scheduled to report to prison.

Among the most explosive and potentially damning aspects of Mr. Cohen’s testimony will be providing evidence of potential criminal conduct since Mr. Trump became president, according to the person familiar with the plans.
Adding:
Axios: Cohen to present new evidence of alleged Trump "criminal conduct"

President Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen is expected to present evidence of alleged "criminal conduct" by Trump during his time as president to the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday that was "stumbled across ... within the last 48 hours," a source familiar with Cohen's testimony told Axios.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Since Cohen, like Trump, is a known liar, I would guess that documents backing up Cohen's claims will be key to this testimony.

:popcorn:
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Sometimes the lying out of that asshole Sanders' mouth is so blatant you just want to slap her. Cohen lied to Congress to protect Trump. He got caught and is paying the piper. Now his deal hinges on him telling the truth. If he lies again it will add real prison time. Trump on the other hand has no incentive for telling the truth. He has gotten away with lying all his life and has no intention of telling the truth now. Just screw her and may she be struck down by lightning for lying.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:10 pm

When he gets sh*t from Trumpsters in the committee, all he has to do is look straight at the questioner and reply, "Congressman, although you may not want to hear this, you know in your heart that I am telling the truth."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:19 pm

:daydream: Wish someone will ask him about what he was doing with Hannity.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 am

WH statement.

I was just thinking, they could sell tickets to watch the live coverage and pay for his stinking wall. :sarcasm:
I smell fear :twisted:

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:19 pm
:daydream: Wish someone will ask him about what he was doing with Hannity.
:yeah:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Cross-posting

New York Daily News
New York court officially disbars Michael Cohen

Michael Cohen officially can’t practice law anymore.

The New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan disbarred the prison-bound former personal attorney to President Trump on Tuesday.

“(Cohen) ceased to be an attorney upon his federal conviction of making false statements to the United States Congress,” a five-judge panel on the court wrote in a disbarment decision, referencing his pleading guilty last year to lying to lawmakers about a scuttled Trump Tower development in Moscow.

The eight-page decision came in as Cohen was in Washington, D.C., testifying behind closed doors before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

A spokeswoman for Cohen did not immediately return a request for comment.

This is a breaking story. Please check back for updates.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Brandi Buchman

@BBuchman_CNS
5m5 minutes ago

My fingers will move like the wind tomorrow. Join me as I live-tweet Cohen's hearing Wednesday at 10AM ET for @CourthouseNews.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:44 am

CNBC: Read Michael Cohen’s opening statement here
CNN: Michael Cohen apologizes to Senate panel for lying to Congress
WaPo: Michael Cohen to testify that Trump knew of WikiLeaks plot
Vox: Michael Cohen’s explosive opening statement: Accusations about Trump, Roger Stone, and more

Cohen claims he heard Stone tell Trump, on speakerphone, about Julian Assange’s plans.
Associated Press: Michael Cohen Is Preparing to Testify that President Trump is a 'Cheat,' 'Conman' and 'Racist'
Business Insider: Michael Cohen details hush-money payments in bombshell opening statement: 'Lying to the First Lady is one of my biggest regrets'
New York Mag: Every Embarrassing Story Michael Cohen Tried to Squash

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:58 am

CNN has a copy of a check signed by Trump payable to Cohen, dated August 2017. Says we'll be seeing another signed by Junior. Lol, they have a countdown clock running.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:08 am

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 am

Showtime. Gym Jordan tried to delay since they didn't get the statement and evidence in time.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:25 am

24 minutes in and I've already got a headache.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:04 am

For all the crap that Elijah Cummings put up with while the Republicans controlled Congress, I can't express how glad I am that he is now in the position he is in. As the Republicans are finding out, payback is a bitch.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 am

Is it my bias or are the republicans just being gigantic assholes? I do not think this is actually going to help their hero. It’s obnoxious.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “Congress”