Oversight/Intel Committees - Feb 27 2019: Michael Cohen Testimony

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: Oversight/Intel Committees - Feb 27 2019: Michael Cohen Testimony

Post by fierceredpanda »

I wish this hearing could go on forever, just so I could continue to relish in Mark Meadows' inability to control his temper. His red-faced tantrums bring me such joy.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Whip

Post by Whip »

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:52 pm
William LeGate@williamlegate

Cohen says a Russian mobster asked Trump to give Putin a free property in his failed Trump Tower Moscow project
hm. would a mobster really need to do that? color me skeptical.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

Mark Meadows is trying to make the hearing all about him and his sputtering red-faced outrage about being called a racist for using a black woman as a prop. Why, no she wasn't! She is such a good friend of the Trump family.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Damn, that's some fire and brimstone from Cummings.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:21 pm
Damn, that's some fire and brimstone from Cummings.
:like:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

WTF is going on with the republicans asking between every series of questions for ''unanimous consent'' to enter random tweets from people and magazine articles into the record?

Have we really come to the point where the best they have is to try to get tweets into the record? I think its bad enough that Trump is trying to run the government by 280 character messages.

A public official's twitter account, if they must have one, should be operated primarily by a well supervised intern. Its not how to run stuff.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Gregg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:02 pm
WTF is going on with the republicans asking between every series of questions for ''unanimous consent'' to enter random tweets from people and magazine articles into the record?

Have we really come to the point where the best they have is to try to get tweets into the record? I think its bad enough that Trump is trying to run the government by 280 character messages.

A public official's twitter account, if they must have one, should be operated primarily by a well supervised intern. Its not how to run stuff.
If you can't believe a tweet you read on-line, what can you believe?
ImageImageImage x4

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

In Thailand Cohen's testimony started at 10pm last night. It's now 6am there and I'll bet Trump's been glued to the testimony stewing over every word of it since it began and yet his Twitter machine has been silent all along. I seem to envision Diet Coke bottles flying in every direction riding waves of 4 letter words right about now. :lol: I'll bet his keepers are having a fun time with him about now. :mrgreen:

Something is bound to blow up before long :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Birfers are toast

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:16 pm
In Thailand Cohen's testimony started at 10pm last night. It's now 6am there and I'll bet Trump's been glued to the testimony stewing over every word of it since it began and yet his Twitter machine has been silent all along. I seem to envision Diet Coke bottles flying in every direction riding waves of 4 letter words right about now. :lol: I'll bet his keepers are having a fun time with him about now. :mrgreen:

Something is bound to blow up before long :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Trump is in Vietnam, but same time zone ;)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

neeneko wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:46 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:27 am
The Republicans are performing with one goal in mind and one goal only - to avoid primary challenges.
To be fair, so are the Democrats.
Elijah Cummings says hi. For starters.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Somerset wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:42 pm
MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:16 pm
Trump is in Vietnam, but same time zone ;)
:dazed: :oops: I was thinking earlier today about getting a Chicken Pad Thai take away for dinner tonight, but my 7 month old granddog ate a razor blade and I had Chick-fil-A with my grandchildren. Bowser is having surgery in the morning and expected to be okay. I must still be thinking of Pad Thai :lol:
Birfers are toast

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

He's had hours to stew. Waiting for an explosion any minute now.

Anyone wandered over to Faux News and see how they're spinning this?

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The Daily Tucker is apparently talking about a woman having her head split open by a golf glub, or something.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Suranis wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:22 pm
The Daily Tucker is apparently talking about a woman having her head split open by a golf glub, or something.
Well then. I so wished someone would ask Cohen about Hannity. Sigh.

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:13 pm
He's had hours to stew. Waiting for an explosion any minute now.

Anyone wandered over to Faux News and see how they're spinning this?
I am gonna try looking at the Facebook posts from FOX and Friends and FOX News. It may be awhile before I can post again.
How Fox & Friends spun Michael Cohen’s opening statement
Blog ››› 9 hours 4 min ago ››› MATT GERTZ

<big snip cuz my computer / internet connection is so slow it is hard to read and copy/paste now>
https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2019/ ... kX1g9HOA8w
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks Dolly. I don't want to try and watch until dinner has been digested :bighug:

Besides, the panels on CNN and MSNBC are much more interesting. Poor Jeffrey Toobin and John Dean must be exhausted after such a long day.

bob

Post by bob »

Whip wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm
where's the headline 'House Committee not asking about Obama birth certificate'? she's slipping again.
Maybe Rondeau reads here? :think: : P&E: Congresswoman Invokes “Birther Movement” Against Trump:
BUT COMMITTEE HASN’T INVESTIGATED FORGERIES

During testimony on Wednesday by former Trump personal attorney Michael Cohen to the House Oversight & Reform Committee, freshman congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (D-MA7) faulted Trump for being a “racist” as well as promoting the “birther movement.”

[Usual birther :yankyank: snipped.]

On February 13, The Post & Email contacted the Oversight Committee via its website to request an investigation. Thus far, there has been no response.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Whip

Post by Whip »

bob wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:37 pm
Whip wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm
where's the headline 'House Committee not asking about Obama birth certificate'? she's slipping again.
Maybe Rondeau reads here? :think: : P&E: Congresswoman Invokes “Birther Movement” Against Trump:
BUT COMMITTEE HASN’T INVESTIGATED FORGERIES

During testimony on Wednesday by former Trump personal attorney Michael Cohen to the House Oversight & Reform Committee, freshman congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (D-MA7) faulted Trump for being a “racist” as well as promoting the “birther movement.”

[Usual birther :yankyank: snipped.]

On February 13, The Post & Email contacted the Oversight Committee via its website to request an investigation. Thus far, there has been no response.
:rotflmao:

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:31 pm
Thanks Dolly. I don't want to try and watch until dinner has been digested :bighug:
Dolly said:
I am gonna try looking at the Facebook posts from FOX and Friends and FOX News. It may be awhile before I can post again.
UPDATE: All I noticed on FOX and Friends Facebook was the 2+ hour video of the hearing. Not gonna read those comments.
I tried FOX News Facebook and decided to just give up. I am tired of looking at blank screens with little circles spinning in the tabs at the top of the screen. :madguy:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartandhp

Elijah Cummings has empathy for Cohen unlike anyone he has ever known in Trump crime cartel.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Dolly wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:47 pm
Kendra wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:31 pm
Dolly said:
UPDATE: All I noticed on FOX and Friends Facebook was the 2+ hour video of the hearing. Not gonna read those comments.
I tried FOX News Facebook and decided to just give up. I am tired of looking at blank screens with little circles spinning in the tabs at the top of the screen. :madguy:
Thanks for trying.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Esquire - Charlie Pierce: The Cohen Hearing Was the Start of a Reconstruction of the American Republic

Elijah Cummings made it plain in his closing statement: this was about reasserting democratic norms and institutions.
The Hill: Christie: Cohen remark would 'send a chill up my spine at the White House'
New York Mag - Ed Kilgore: GOP Strategy: Call Michael Cohen a Liar, Don’t Rebut His Specific Claims About Trump
Talking Points Memo: What We Learned From Michael Cohen’s Historic Testimony
FiveThirtyEight - Live Blog: What Went Down In The Michael Cohen Hearing
HuffPo: Rep. Matt Gaetz Under Investigation For His Michael Cohen Threat

The Florida Bar confirmed Wednesday it's looking into the GOP lawmaker's tweet, which many said constitute witness tampering.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:55 pm
:snippity:
The Hill: Christie: Cohen remark would 'send a chill up my spine at the White House'
:snippity:
I bet Christie is eternally thankful to the deities that prevented him from taking a WH job :lol:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/11 ... 1390225408
Matt Gaetz
‏Verified account @mattgaetz

I’ve personally apologized to @MichaelCohen212 4 referencing his private family in the public square. Regardless of disagreements, family members should be off-limits from attacks from representatives, senators & presidents, including myself. Let’s leave the Cohen family alone.

6:18 PM - 27 Feb 2019
You can feel the panic setting in.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Thoughts and prayers for Gaetz in this trying time.

Return to “Congress”