The 2018/2019 Leadership Fight: Where you at?

Addie

The 2018/2019 Leadership Fight: Where you at?

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Thread title changed to expand topic

-------------------------------

I can bang on the Dems as well as the next person when they do something stupid. Or don't do something smart, when they could have done something smart. But this idea of tossing Pelosi from the Speakership, five minutes after taking back the House, is making me crazy. The sensible thing is for her to stay where she is until after the 2020 presidential, providing stability while the new folks learn their jobs as congress critters, have training workshops, that sort of thing. You can't walk in the door and be Speaker; that should be made crystal clear. Pelosi should commit to stepping down, I do think, in favor of a younger person that the caucus finds acceptable, but not until we take back the White House in 2020.

TollandRCR

Re: The 2018 Speaker Fight: Where you at?

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Agreed, Addie.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

dcsalmon

Post by dcsalmon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm
I can bang on the Dems as well as the next person when they do something stupid. Or don't do something smart, when they could have done something smart. But this idea of tossing Pelosi from the Speakership, five minutes after taking back the House, is making me crazy. The sensible thing is for her to stay where she is until after the 2020 presidential, providing stability while the new folks learn their jobs as congress critters, have training workshops, that sort of thing. You can't walk in the door and be Speaker; that should be made crystal clear. Pelosi should commit to stepping down, I do think, in favor of a younger person that the caucus finds acceptable, but not until we take back the White House in 2020.
:yeah:

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm with y'all.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:42 pm

My understanding is that the challenge to Pelosi is coming from the center by people who think that they can work with the Republicans.

To be honest, that just makes me want to puke.

It's wartime until Trump is gone and Pelosi is a wartime consiglieri. When Trump is gone, then maybe we can talk about hand across the aisle, but until then the goal is to crush them and I don't see anyone who can do that better than Pelosi.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm
There was an editorial to this effect a while back (post-election), but can't remember where. It said she can be in the background getting stuff done, and the new faces can get out there.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Yeah. Seth Moulton of Massachusetts is the ringleader apparently.
Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:42 pm
My understanding is that the challenge to Pelosi is coming from the center by people who think that they can work with the Republicans.

To be honest, that just makes me want to puke.

It's wartime until Trump is gone and Pelosi is a wartime consiglieri. When Trump is gone, then maybe we can talk about hand across the aisle, but until then the goal is to crush them and I don't see anyone who can do that better than Pelosi.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Pelosi, for max two years, with a plan to bring the kids into room from day one to see how it works and to develop a group from which someone can be chosen to follow her. And Steny Hoyer replaced by a young turk now.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

tek

Post by tek » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Over the next two years, the Dems have to deliver. If they don't, kiss 2020 goodbye.

Pelosi is the best shot to make that happen IMHO.

I absolutely agree that new talent needs to be groomed. 2020 would be a good transition year.

I used to like Seth Moulton, but he seems to have gone off the deep end..
There's no way back
from there to here

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm about 90% good with the idea of Pelosi as speaker for two more years. My one reservation is this: she's had a considerable amount of time to identify and nurture a younger replacement already. If she has yet to do so, how reasonable is it to expect her to now?
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:16 pm

NANCY!!!!!!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:37 pm

#IStandWithNancy :boxing:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:37 pm
:yeah:
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:53 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:58 pm
And Steny Hoyer replaced by a young turk now.
Aaaaand the Chief Deputy Whip is John Lewis.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:37 pm
It might be different if there was a youthful challenger who was saying, "We've got the Nazi's Republicans right where we want them, now it is time to stomp on their balls. I'll stomp harder than Nancy can and here is how I'm going to do it. . . ", but instead it is someone channeling Chamberlain wanting to appease them.

:sick: :bigvomit: :bigvomit:
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:20 pm

bob wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:53 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:58 pm
And Steny Hoyer replaced by a young turk now.
Aaaaand the Chief Deputy Whip is John Lewis.
That'll do nicely. :thumbs:

Now if we could please get rid of the dude who I see as the real brakes on the future: #dumpschumer
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Mostly Republicans are pushing this "fight," there's just no question Pelosi is going to win. And she should! Who else raised $170 million in the 2018 cycle and got the House back twice! Any opposition is just positioning to get some more progressive power in leadership and that's terrific, Nancy has always recruited young people. Nobody knows how to count votes like Nancy and she has the experience of being in the chair to start/stop legislation, plus she's an appropriator. There's really no doubt not only will she win, but also she's by far our best hope of getting some meaningful things through to help America. She knows how old she is and she would have left if HRC won, but she wasn't going to abandon ACA. When it's stable, she'll be ready. For a preview, check out what's she's doing with next year's HR1.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm not a fan of Pelosi, but right now I think she is the best bet for a solid and concerted effort at attempting to govern. The big problem is that I really don't see a younger Dem to replace her that has either the gravitas or quite frankly the ability and knowledge to replace her, which is concerning.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:42 pm

WaPo
Fight for House speaker explodes into national political campaign ...

“Go figure,” Navratilova tweeted. “A man loses and keeps his place, a woman wins and gets booted?!?”

While congressional leadership fights have historically revolved around insular matters such as committee assignments and rules changes, the battle over who will lead the newly empowered House Democrats has exploded into a national political campaign.

At stake is not merely the House speakership, a job second in line to the presidency, but who will emerge as the country’s most high-profile counterpoint to President Trump — who will set the strategy for investigating him, who will lead the opposition to his agenda, and who will be the face of the Democratic Party ahead of the 2020 campaign.

The country’s biggest unions, arguing that Pelosi is the best equipped to take on Trump, have lobbied Democrats to back her. Top donors have placed calls to lean on undecided members. Celebrities have weighed in as well, and prominent liberal activists have openly discussed fomenting primary challenges in the next campaign against the leaders of the anti-Pelosi opposition.

The battle lines have been drawn around identity, race and gender — issues that dominated this year’s midterm elections.
Adding:
NBC News - Jonathan Allen: Do Democrats really want to stop Nancy Pelosi from becoming speaker?

Analysis: It's unclear how many members of the next Congress truly want to stop her from taking the helm of the House in January — and how many simply need to signal to voters back home that they raised an objection to her.
WaPo: Half of the opposition to Pelosi is from her non-incumbent right flank
HuffPo - Robert Kuttner: For Democrats, Progressive Is The New Moderate
WaPo: Democratic Rep. Moulton draws fire for campaign to deny Pelosi speaker’s job

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:58 am

Fox News and other RWNJ outlets are loving it. Once again, the Dems are intentionally (and successfully) being divided by other forces. Pelosi has the experience. The challengers don't. So, yeah, kick her to the curb. :roll:

Get the younger/newer members involved in learning the process and move them up through the ranks. But dump the most experienced person? Not a good idea. The country is in serious trouble, and we don't need a fracturing of of the not-trumpsters among the elected or putting inexperienced newbies in charge of protecting a nation.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 am

I stand with the Ice Queen.

Now lets go get the bastards. Maestro, music please!

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am

Suranis wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 am
I stand with the Ice Queen.

Now lets go get the bastards. Maestro, music please!

Perfect!!!!!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Clairez

Post by Clairez » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:42 am

Lani wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:58 am
Fox News and other RWNJ outlets are loving it. Once again, the Dems are intentionally (and successfully) being divided by other forces. Pelosi has the experience. The challengers don't. So, yeah, kick her to the curb. :roll:

Get the younger/newer members involved in learning the process and move them up through the ranks. But dump the most experienced person? Not a good idea. The country is in serious trouble, and we don't need a fracturing of of the not-trumpsters among the elected or putting inexperienced newbies in charge of protecting a nation.
Agree completely. Even my millennial son believes we need an experienced hand at the till in these very troubled times.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:43 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 pm
I'm not a fan of Pelosi, but right now I think she is the best bet for a solid and concerted effort at attempting to govern. The big problem is that I really don't see a younger Dem to replace her that has either the gravitas or quite frankly the ability and knowledge to replace her, which is concerning.
I don't see a younger Dem who is ready either, which is why I'm behind Pelosi.

At the same time, I think the current/outgoing leadership (Pelosi, Hoyer, etc) bear at least some of the responsibility for the lack of viable younger possibilities - mentorship and development being integral parts of leadership - so I want to see a lot of effort being made this Congress to get some of the younger members up to speed.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 am

I think Pelosi is least effective when she is publicly representing the Democratic Party. Maybe she can find people who can do that more effectively.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Congress”