Trumpcare...or is it?

Slim Cognito

Trumpcare...or is it?

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Thought I'd start this thread separate from the damage trump is doing to the ACA.

Last summer, wasn't trump bragging about his beautiful, wonderful, exciting new health insurance policies that people were already signing up for and loved, loved, loved! Then I read the obligatory corrections that these policies won't be available until September 1. Then I read that a lot of them won't be available at all because the crossing state lines thing is something most insurance companies don't want to mess with. Also, organizations, hoping to lump lots of small but related businesses together to form large groups that theoretically could get better groups rates, realized that wasn't going to work as planned either.

Then it all went dark. Usually I'm pretty good at keeping up on things health-insurance related due to my husband's heart condition. Then today I realized I haven't heard diddly squat for weeks so I decided to google Trumpcare and see what came up: A bunch of non-official sites talking about exciting stuff upcoming, but no recent updates. There's one site actually named trumpcare.com and right in the upper corner it says "non-official site." If you click on it, it gives you some information, such as Trumpcare isn't actually a thing but refers to the short-term policies that apparently are available, but you have to go digging for them. I learned that the short-term policies will now be available for 12 months if you want it, payable by monthly premiums, whereas they originally were only to be three months in length and apparently paid three months at a time. It also insists that they aren't junk policies but that's still to be determined. I thought I'd look further so I could compare them to what we have with our Florida Blue plans through the marketplace.

You can give them some (fake) personal information to get your "quote." I did check hypertension since it asks for preexisting conditions and I figured best not to leave that blank since everybody has something wrong with them by the time they reach my age. I gave my age correctly, but not my birthday. I wanted to see what kind of premium $$ people were looking at. But it's nothing like the Marketplace. Once they get your contact info, they give you a dozen links to a bunch of short-term insurance companies and let you go off and do your own research. So I lost interest. There's no benefit to the website at all. In other words, it's a spam farm. I sure hope the fake email address I gave them doesn't actually belong to someone.

Anyhoo, has anyone else heard anything?

If I find links to the anecdotes above, I will add.

ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Re: Trumpcare...or is it?

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Here's an August 1, 2018 link from Business Insider that seems to explain the new plans as they stand now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-o ... 018-8?op=1

Here's one from the NYT dated Aug 6, 2018 explaining how states are concerned these plans will be sold as comparable to ACA plans, without explaining to consumers what they're giving up to get that lower premium.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/06/us/p ... plans.html

Found a HuffPo article about the rally where trump said people were already signing up, but it was in July so, of course, they hadn't started signing up.
Trump Celebrates ‘Record’ Sales of Nonexistent Health Insurance Policies
The “incredible health care plans” he’s so excited about won’t even be available to buy until September.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tr ... mg00000004

Will have to look later for the information about the organization lamenting they won't be able to pull together the group insurance for small business co-op thingie.

ImageImageImage x4

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks, Slim. Most informative. :bighug:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 pm

From June, working on finalizing the small business insurance across state lines thing, Association Health Plans. But I know I read, probably late July or early August, that they may not happen because they aren't getting much cooperation or interest from small businesses or insurance companies willing to cross state lines.

I believe there's an organization, a committee, maybe a book club, that was in charge of organizing this. If I could just find their name, I could probably find the latest update.

https://apnews.com/d00df0be290742c690c3e92cb63e8e70

Here's the US Dept of Labor's blurb about them. I guess they've theoretically available since June, but still digging. I can't see any reliable (well-known) insurance companies offering what they call AHPs and I'm not wasting any more time on spam farms.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/assoc ... alth-plans

ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Thought I'd see what twitter has available. It looks like several Chambers of Commerce are offering them but they're still keeping it regional. Most other tweets are saying they're working out the bugs or advising against them.

Thank you twitter! Found a Politico article from mid July. I was confused about specifics but the overall "unworkable" thing is there.

The National Federation of Independent Business has been pushing this idea for years, but now that they have to go-ahead, they've decided they... "won’t set one up, describing the new Trump rules as unworkable."

Trump promised them better, cheaper health care. It’s not happening.
A key small business group says Trump’s new insurance rules are unworkable, after pushing the idea for nearly 20 years.
...Several of the nationwide trade groups that cheered Trump’s new insurance rules told POLITICO they’re still trying to figure out how to take advantage of them and whether the effort is even worth it.

That could signal there’s minimal early interest in an initiative the administration says will help lower health care costs — and one that Trump himself has prematurely hailed as a wild success. Trump falsely claimed during rallies in recent weeks that “millions” are signing up, though the new health plans can’t be sold until Sept. 1.

ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 am

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politi ... 97985.html
Insurers could charge huge premiums under Yoder-backed bill, health care experts say

WASHINGTON
Rep. Kevin Yoder and other top House Republicans say they’re committed to protecting people with pre-existing conditions — but their big push to change current law could actually mean ballooning insurance bills for people with chronic illness, health experts say.
Yoder’s antidote, though, is fraught with problems, independent experts agreed. “They have to cover you, they can’t exclude coverage of your pre-existing condition or deny you coverage, but they can charge you a million a month, they can charge you a deterrent premium,” said Karen Pollitz, senior fellow at Kaiser Health Family Foundation.
But Pollitz and three other health care experts who reviewed the legislation for McClatchy say that the bill includes imprecise language that could allow insurers to charge individuals or employers whatever they want to cover pre-existing conditions — potentially putting the cost of premiums out of reach for small and individuals and small employers.

ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am

Good job, Slim :thumbs:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm

USA Today published a steaming pile of.... press release, calling it an OpEd, from trump where he claims, among other ridiculous things, that he's fulfilled his promised to provide better, cheaper insurance while keeping preexisting condition protections.

Also, Democrats want to destroy private health care plans.

https://twitter.com/USATODAY

ImageImageImage x4

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:35 pm

The Washington Post has already fact-checked it -

Fact-checking President Trump’s USA Today op-ed on ‘Medicare-for-All’

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Return to “Congress”