2018-2019 Government Shutdown

Dolly

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

Post by Dolly »

Gohmert to 'Fox & Friends': Extend shutdown for wall 'until hell freezes over'

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday during an interview with "Fox & Friends" that the government shutdown should continue "until hell freezes over" if funding for a southern border wall isn't secured.

The comments from Gohmert come as the government continued its partial shutdown for a seventh day with an agreement unlikely to come before the end of the year. The shutdown began Saturday after the president's demand that $5 billion be included in a spending measure for wall funding was rejected by Democrats.

"Congressman, how long should the President keep the government closed?” asked "Fox & Friends" co-host Griff Jenkins.

“Again, it’s only a part of 25 percent," noted Gohmert in response. Congress has already approved prior to the current shutdown that 75 percent of the government be funded through September 2019.

"And because we keep seeing people losing their lives without one, you do it till hell freezes over," the congressman added.

“January, February?” Jenkins attempted to clarify.

“Until hell freezes over," Gohmert insisted. "Because we owe it to our country. And the best thing we could do compassionately for Mexico and Central America is not give them money that ends up in the hands of drug cartels.

"It’s to secure the border so the drugs quit coming and we don’t lose 70,000 more lives a year and Mexico becomes the top 10 economy because we get out the corruption. That’s compassion.” <SNIP>
AUTO PLAY VIDEO AT THE LINK
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4231 ... eezes-over
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Dolly wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:13 pm

There may be AUTO PLAY video at the link
Hint / Reminder

Users of Google Chrome browser can right click in the website tab and select Mute this site and the browser keeps that setting.

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:52 pm
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Dolly wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:13 pm

There may be AUTO PLAY video at the link
Hint / Reminder

Users of Google Chrome browser can right click in the website tab and select Mute this site and the browser keeps that setting.
Thank you! :bighug:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:56 pm
Reminds me of the Repug who, arguing against the ACA, said that in the old days you could pay your doctor with a couple of chickens.

Out loud. With people listening. :roll:

You could back when bleeding the patient was a common treatment, and for a chicken they'd drain out a few pints.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I have a nephew, he and his wife are both directly impacted by this. They have three small children.

FUCK YOU, TRUMP!

kate520

Post by kate520 »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Users of Apple products have no idea what this ‘autoplay’ is of which you speak. :mrgreen:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Shamed into it? Finally decided to actually "work hard" as promised?
Trump Will Not Attend The Mar-a-Lago New Year’s Celebration, Mulvaney Claims
Deadline
Bruce Haring
December 29, 2018

There will be no Mar-a-Lago New Year’s celebration for President Donald Trump, according to his new chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney.

Because of the partial government shutdown, Trump has scrapped plans to travel to his Florida estate, Mulvaney told Fox & Friends today. The President previously canceled plans to spend Christmas in the Sunshine State, citing the need to be working.

The Senate and House of Representatives are currently adjourned, providing the executive branch with some good optics in the public relations war.

“He cancelled his plans for Christmas, now he’s cancelled his plans for New Year’s,” Mulvaney said on Fox. “The president is very heavily engaged in this.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tru ... 56003.html
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Heavily engaged feeling sorry for himself, maybe, sulking and fuming definitely.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Farmers risk loss of federal payments, loans, from shutdown

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... s-60055920
The USDA in a statement issued last week assured farmers that checks would continue to go out during the first week of the shutdown. But direct payments for farmers who haven't certified production, as well as farm loans and disaster assistance programs, will be put on hold beginning next week, and won't start up again until the government reopens.

:snippity:

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, helps feed roughly 40 million Americans. According to the USDA, eligible recipients are guaranteed benefits through January. Other feeding programs, including WIC, which provides food aid and nutrition counseling for pregnant women, new mothers and children, and food distribution programs on Indian reservations, will continue on a local level, but additional federal funding won't be provided. School lunch programs will continue through February.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Trump lowers demand for border wall funding

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-lowe ... l-funding/
"We sat down with (Chuck) Schumer and gave him a number below five. I am not going to tell you what it is," Mulvaney said.

Mr. Trump canceled his plans to travel for the holiday and is doubling down on using whatever means necessary to get funding for a wall, tweeting, "We will be forced to close the Southern Border entirely if the Obstructionist Democrats do not give us the money to finish the Wall & also change the ridiculous immigration laws that our Country is saddled with."

It is estimated that shutting down the border could cost the economy up to $1 billion a day.
4.99999? ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

Mother Jones - Dec 28: On the 7th Day of the Shutdown, the EPA Has Run Out of Money

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Addie wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am
Mother Jones - Dec 28: On the 7th Day of the Shutdown, the EPA Has Run Out of Money

A feature, not a bug.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 am

The USDA in a statement issued last week assured farmers that checks would continue to go out during the first week of the shutdown. But direct payments for farmers who haven't certified production, as well as farm loans and disaster assistance programs, will be put on hold beginning next week, and won't start up again until the government reopens.

I believe that just now is the time for final planning of summer crops and ordering seeds. Difficult with stocks at max levels, unsold and no cash at hand. Dotus is just strangling them further with blocking their other part of income.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:14 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 am

I believe that just no is the time for final planning of summer crops and ordering seeds. Difficult with stocks at max levels, unsold and no cash at hand. Dotus is just strangling them further with blocking their other part of income.
And property taxes and for a lot of them yearly insurance payments.

tek

Post by tek »

Most of what I know about the farming economy comes from my semi-research into how radio changed farm economics in the 1920s-1960s, but I probably still know more than most cable TV talking heads so here goes:

Imma betting a lotta land doesn't get planted.
There's no way back
from there to here

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

tek wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:29 pm
Most of what I know about the farming economy comes from my semi-research into how radio changed farm economics in the 1920s-1960s, but I probably still know more than most cable TV talking heads so here goes:

Imma betting a lotta land doesn't get planted.
And the way it is going there will be a lot of prices going through the roof in the coming year.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida »

Gregg wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:24 pm
Addie wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am

A feature, not a bug.
Those expensive tactical pants Pruitt bought are finally coming back to bite the EPA in the ass

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:02 am
https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=Dv1sK84gTIY
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Great work by my Administration over the holidays to save Coast Guard pay during this #SchumerShutdown. No thanks to the Democrats who left town and are not concerned about the safety and security of Americans!
Maybenaut, is this true? How did he do this without Congress?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet »

kate520 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 pm
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Great work by my Administration over the holidays to save Coast Guard pay during this #SchumerShutdown. No thanks to the Democrats who left town and are not concerned about the safety and security of Americans!
Maybenaut, is this true? How did he do this without Congress?
The only thing I can thinkof is that this is referring to the paycheck that should come out sometime this weekend (my agency got theirs on Friday, but each agency is different).

So, that represents work that was done before the shutdown had commensed. It just wasn't known whether or not there'd be anybody there to actually process it.

The big realization will come in about another 2 weeks, when there is no paycheck for the work that was done since the shutdown has commensed.

bob

Post by bob »

kate520 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 pm
How did he do this without Congress?
The Coast Guard mysterious said they found a way to pay December's bills, but did not elaborate.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

tek

Post by tek »

workers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

vic

Post by vic »

tek wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:33 pm
workers.jpg

Thanks, Tek! I've shamelessly downloaded this and shared on facebook.

Return to “Congress”