2018-2019 Government Shutdown

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 29144
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#26

Post by Foggy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Today Nancy Pelosi showed - again - why we need her as Speaker. :boxing:


When reality is outlawed only outlaws will have reality.

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 10527
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#27

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 pm
Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
39m39 minutes ago
More
TRUMP: "Yes. If we don't get what we want, one way or the other...I will shut down the government. Absolutely. I am proud to shut down the govt for border security...I will take the mantle, I will be the one to shut it down. And I'm going to shut it down for border security."
Well, guess there will be no question about who to blame if there is a shutdown. :thumbs:
Obama, of course.



noblepa
Posts: 1080
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Bay Village, Ohio
Occupation: Network Engineer

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#28

Post by noblepa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Since that boast by Trump is bound to be shown on every news outlet, Pelosi and Schumer missed a golden opportunity. They should have responded "Mr. President, we will be more than happy to build the wall, just as soon as the check from Mexico clears the bank".



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9447
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#29

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:42 pm

noblepa wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm
Since that boast by Trump is bound to be shown on every news outlet, Pelosi and Schumer missed a golden opportunity. They should have responded "Mr. President, we will be more than happy to build the wall, just as soon as the check from Mexico clears the bank".
Great response for post negotiation session press conference.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#30

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm

I haven't had a chance to watch it.

Objectively speaking, was it really that bad for Trump, or are his Minnis going to crow about how "tough" his bad behavior is?



User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#31

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:10 pm
Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
39m39 minutes ago
More
TRUMP: "Yes. If we don't get what we want, one way or the other...I will shut down the government. Absolutely. I am proud to shut down the govt for border security...I will take the mantle, I will be the one to shut it down. And I'm going to shut it down for border security."
Well, guess there will be no question about who to blame if there is a shutdown. :thumbs:
Obama, of course.
No, we are past Obama. He was just a puppet. It was the (((Globalists))).


"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#32

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Press pool gathering


I think he's getting ready to do an epic stupid.



User avatar
bob
Posts: 27372
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#33

Post by bob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm
Objectively speaking, was it really that bad for Trump, or are his Minnis going to crow about how "tough" his bad behavior is?
All sides will be pleased.

Except Pence's; he looked like an idiot who had nothing to contribute.


Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9447
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#34

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:11 pm

bob wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:10 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm
Objectively speaking, was it really that bad for Trump, or are his Minnis going to crow about how "tough" his bad behavior is?
All sides will be pleased.

Except Pence's; he looked like an idiot who had nothing to contribute.
Pence the Potted Plant.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
bob
Posts: 27372
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#35

Post by bob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:14 pm

E.g., Gateway Pundit: FIREWORKS! TRUMP Blasts Pelosi and Schumer on Border Wall Funding — Shuts Pelosi Down!:
WOW!
President Trump met with Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer Tuesday in the White House.

Pelosi was asked to speak after Trump gave an opening statement on the wall.

TRUMP BLASTED HER!
Chuck Schumer jumped in!
TRUMP BLASTED HIM!

Trump called out the Democrat leaders — corrected them on border security — interrupted their talking points — and ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED THEM!

When you interrupt their lies Democrats have nothing left to say!
This was an AMAZING TV EVENT!

President Trump needs to hold one of these publicized meetings weekly!


Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#36

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm

I read somewhere that Pence is really an animatronic



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9447
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#37

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm
I read somewhere that Pence is really an animatronic
Animatronics move.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8221
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#38

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:30 pm
Julie Davis

Verified account

@juliehdavis
12m12 minutes ago
More
Aide in rm when Pelosi described Oval mtg to colleagues said she crowed about Dems having gotten him to “fully own” a shutdown. Also said wall is “like a manhood thing for him. As if manhood could ever be associated with him.”
:lol:
Of course it can. Just a tiny, horrifying one. :mrgreen:


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#39

Post by maydijo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm

I love that Trump took full responsibility for a shut-down - over Christmas!!! Could there possibly be a more Grinchy move than to not pay pensioners, the military, and federal employees over Christmas?!?!

All the people down in Washington loved Christmas a lot
But the Trump, who lived in a big White House, did not!
The Trump hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No-one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his heart was too tight.
But I think the most likely reason of all
Could have been that his brain was twelve sizes too small.



User avatar
Mikedunford
Posts: 10462
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#40

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Military are going to get paid, and so will quite a few others. That's because defense and a handful of other spending bills have passed. But aside from defense (where I have a personal interest), I'm not sure what is/isn't going to be affected.


"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9447
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#41

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm
I love that Trump took full responsibility for a shut-down - over Christmas!!! Could there possibly be a more Grinchy move than to not pay pensioners, the military, and federal employees over Christmas?!?!

All the people down in Washington loved Christmas a lot
But the Trump, who lived in a big White House, did not!
The Trump hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No-one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his heart was too tight.
But I think the most likely reason of all
Could have been that his brain was twelve sizes too small.
:clap: :clap: :clap:


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 36113
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#42

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:10 pm

The Hill
Reporter says Trump 'stormed out' of Oval Office after Pelosi, Schumer meeting

Los Angeles Times White House correspondent Eli Stokols reported Tuesday that President Trump "stormed out" of the Oval Office after his contentious meeting with Democratic leaders and threw a folder full of papers out of frustration.

“He stormed out of the Oval, walked into an anteroom just off the Oval Office and had in his hand a folder of briefing papers. And he just scattered them out of frustration — threw them across the room," Stokols said on MSNBC's "Hardball," citing his own reporting with White House officials. ...

The meeting quickly generated headlines after Trump pledged to shut down the government if he couldn't get funding for a wall along the southern border. He also said he would take the blame for that shutdown if it occurs. ...

Stokols, the Los Angeles Times reporter, also said Tuesday on "Hardball" that Trump was frustrated with Schumer following the meeting.

"His old New York sparring buddy, he felt, got the better of him," Stokols said.
Adding:
The Guardian: Pinocchio and the two Democrats: how that Trump meeting descended into farce

The president’s heated public exchange with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer was the political equivalent of a custard pie fight
Washington Monthly: Trump’s Catastrophic Meeting with Chuck and Nancy
Business Insider: Trump inexplicably told Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi that Mexico would pay for the border wall as part of the landmark new trade deal



User avatar
NotaPerson
Posts: 3353
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#43

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:18 pm



Sometime Lou Dobbs makes me want to become uncivil and hit someone. Namely him. :madguy:


Am I being detained?

User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 6950
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#44

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm
Military are going to get paid, and so will quite a few others. That's because defense and a handful of other spending bills have passed. But aside from defense (where I have a personal interest), I'm not sure what is/isn't going to be affected.
Did I read that Border Patrol would be among the unpaid?


ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#45

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:28 pm

In previous shutdowns all "non-essential personnel" were told to stay home. Theoretically they were not paid for that day, but since it was obvious that they still had to pay for their rent and groceries on that day, then whenever the shutdown was over they got paid for the days they had been told to stay home. But it's not like it was a gift -- almost all returning employees found that their responsibilities had piled up while they were gone and they had to work extra hard and/or extra long to bring things back to speed.

The real sufferers were non-civil servant contract employees, who were simply screwed out of pay for those days. Also various non-govt people who ran the luncheonettes or other services for people in the govt buildings.

Oh, but I wanted to ask: Is DELIBERATELY plotting for a govt shutdown a high crime or misdemeanor sufficient to justify impeachment??



User avatar
Dandelion
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#46

Post by Dandelion » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:16 am

Mike Pence is riveting to watch on the video. Which downer is he on do you suppose?



User avatar
Gregg
Posts: 3219
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA
Occupation: We build cars

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#47

Post by Gregg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm
Military are going to get paid, and so will quite a few others. That's because defense and a handful of other spending bills have passed. But aside from defense (where I have a personal interest), I'm not sure what is/isn't going to be affected.
Did I read that Border Patrol would be among the unpaid?

Them and the SS agents who will have to spend Christmas at Mar A Lago on rented golf carts (which I am sure will get paid for).


Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10244
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#48

Post by Chilidog » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:33 am

Dandelion wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:16 am
Mike Pence is riveting to watch on the video. Which downer is he on do you suppose?
It's almost like he knows what's in the redacted testimony from Mike Flynn.



User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 17048
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#49

Post by Suranis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 am

I think that Trump assumed that they would be embarrassed into smiling with him for the cameras, which would give him the bigger dick in the private conversation, which is why he insisted that the cameras stay in the room. He wanted them saying what a great president he was like his Cabinet does. They didn't.

I think that since they didn't do that, anything else is gravy


Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
tek
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: 2018 Government Shutdown

#50

Post by tek » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 am

Dandelion wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:16 am
Mike Pence is rivetinged to watch on the video. Which downer is he on do you suppose?
Tin Man could use some oil.


There's no way back
from there to here

Post Reply

Return to “Congress”