Resolution to Censure President Trump: Re "Shithole"

Mikedunford

Re: Resolution to Censure President Trump: Re "Shithole"

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am
Using the Google-Books search engine I had no problem finding about twenty books where the expression "shithole countries" was used with reference to pretty much the same countries supposedly intended by Trump. Also Google dredged up about 40 books more without displaying the actual use of that expression but the fact that they came up with the search suggests that maybe they used the same expression.

So the expression - and even its application to Haiti and west Africa - did not begin with Trump by a long shot.
It was rough language, but there's no law at all that our President has to talk like Elsie Dinsmore.
It was also said at a WH meeting at which journalists were excluded and the story of this expression was blabbed by the one and only Democrat at that meeting, which suggests a breach of confidentiality. Trump certainly didn't say this for public consumption.
Neither the President nor any Republican at the meeting has claimed that Durbin somehow breached "confidentiality" or that there was any confidentiality to breach. So you've actually found a way to beat up on a Democrat that is so inane that it hasn't yet been discovered by Republicans. That's kind of impressive.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, you continue to fail to grasp that the issue is not the "rough language." I'm not sure that anyone has genuinely given a fuck about rough language since Truman called people sons-of-bitches. Nor is the heart of the issue in the description of certain countries as shitholes. The attempt to focus the discussion on those areas, rather than on the substance of the issue (i.e. the combination of the blatant racism involved in describing countries with people of color as shitholes while simultaneously praising countries like Norway and the President's decision to take a shit all over Ellis Island then wipe his ass with the poem on the Statute of Liberty) is something that I can't adequately describe here due to board rules.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm

:like:

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm
It’s remarkable that there are apparently people who don’t quite seem able to grasp the difference between an alleged entertainer and the President of the United States.
Saw a new meme this morning. Obama lied all the time with polish. Trump tells the truth all the time crudely. Truth = why we ❤️ Trump.
I suppose that's accurate if you define "truth" to mean "things we like to hear".

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Plus, it's not an isolated incident. He's said about Haitians (I think) "They all have Aids." And that Nigerians, once they saw America, would "never go back to their huts." And that Mexican immigrants are all rapists and drug-dealers. Ad nauseam.

So the ethos behind speaking of immigrants from "shithole countries" is of a piece with all the other racist white-folks-are-all-great-and-brown*-folks-are-inferior crap the Orange Menace is on record having spewed.

Racist.

There is no sugar-coating it. Vile, despicable racism.

Sekrit Stuffs!
It's not, but shouldn't that be "spewn?"
*also tan, red, yellow. You know: non-white.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Sekrit Stuffs!
speweaded :mrgreen:

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Neither the President nor any Republican at the meeting has claimed that Durbin somehow breached "confidentiality" or that there was any confidentiality to breach.
Well, Trump is now blaming it on Durbin, because he's trying to dig his way out of the hole he dug for himself.

But let it not be forgotten in the noise that the original leak actually came from Trump himself - he was calling people up after the meeting and bragging about the vulgarity he used. He thought it would play well with his base.

Durbin was only confirming what the press was already hearing from other sources. If Trump hadn't chosen to broadcast the meeting to his circle of fluffers, Durbin wouldn't have said anything specific about the meeting - the lede would have been, "We had a vigorous dialog, but at present we do not have agreement on a path forward. Hopefully we will be able to continue this discussion."

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm

I still believe that a President - even one I dislike - has as much right to express himself in non-public meetings as Bill Maher has on nationwide TV.

And while I might not say it out loud, nor puzzle about its cause, I do notice that our immigration demographics are heavily loaded from what we used to call Backward Countries.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm
I still believe that a President - even one I dislike - has as much right to express himself in non-public meetings as Bill Maher has on nationwide TV.

And while I might not say it out loud, nor puzzle about its cause, I do notice that our immigration demographics are heavily loaded from what we used to call Backward Countries.
The President* also has the right to try to enact racist policies.

The hole that the President* started is getting bigger. Keep digging Fortinbras. Not sure why you're doing this, but it's very unbecoming. You've moved from whataboutism to wilfully ignoring what Trump is doing by focusing on what you believe is his right to say something. And by saying that's all fine with you. Well, good for you. You've finally earned my ignore after all these years.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Fortinbras wrote:

Like Scotland.

You’re working hard to miss the point. Why?

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Fortinbras wrote:

Which pretty much proves that Trumps racist ideas about backward countries (he said SHITHOLES, please quote your President* accurately) must be bollox as you have done really wall from all these bad genes and lazy immoral behaviour. That you partially got from the shithole country I live in.

And I'm sorry, but your opinion on his rights to be an asshole means fuck and all. And Its nice that I was right in my guess that Trump leaked it himself by being an asshole rather than "The Lone Democrat." Hi Ho, Dollar!

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Fortinbras is either dabbling in trolling or racism. Neither is becoming.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Why, oh why, would someone from a developed country which provides higher education, health care for all, low poverty, and low crime rates, especially re gun violence, choose to emigrate to the United States?

My ancestors came from Norway in order to have a better life. My husband's ancestors came from Bohemia in order to have a better life. They were farmers and shop owners. They were neither rich nor well educated. But they were hard working. My goodness, but you have to work a lot harder to survive when you live in a backward country! Those are the folks who will apply themselves when they get to America. Think about all those hard working Mexicans who have toiled picking farm crops. Aren't those the folks we want as citizens?

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Michael J

Post by Michael J » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm

What the hell does Trump have to do or say before some people admit - that's just wrong - PERIOD!

:madguy:

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." - Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Fortinbras wrote:

A right to do something doesn't mean that one can't be criticized or censured for doing it.

Well, except for members on the Fogbow, where I don't have the right to say that another member is a f**king s**thead. So I can't say here what I think about your recent posts.

However, I can follow Sterngard's lead and put you on ignore. So you will have the right to defend the dumbfuck who lives in the White House (I can say that, since he's not a member here), but you will be expressing yourself in a vacuum.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm

vic wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm
(I can say that, since he's not a member here)
OR IS HE??? *Twilight zone music*

Scene cuts to Trump, drinking some claret, some Mozart on the player. He pauses his reading of his daily Dickens, his hand resting on the books on Philosophy he had to sneak into the whitehouse in golfing bags. He looks over at the computer screen and he smiles.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Suranis wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm
vic wrote:

Scene cuts to Trump, drinking some claret, some Mozart on the player. He pauses his reading of his daily Dickens, his hand resting on the books on Philosophy he had to sneak into the whitehouse in golfing bags. He looks over at the computer screen and he smiles.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 pm

vic wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 pm
Suranis wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 pm
vic wrote:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:shock: Squeeky?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:22 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Why, oh why, would someone from a developed country which provides higher education, health care for all, low poverty, and low crime rates, especially re gun violence, choose to emigrate to the United States?
This. Unlimited the law changes or my kids move to the US for a while as adults, they won't pass their US citizenship on to their kids. Sometimes I wonder if my grandkids and great grandkids will resent me for it. But mostly I think they'll be grateful.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 am

WaPo: Inside the tense, profane White House meeting on immigration

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:54 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 am
My recommendation to the WH: withdraw the promise of Teh Donald to visit the Davos WEF meeting, he wil be crushed.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am

I hope the President* goes to Davos. He deserves to be treated the way he treats others. But I suspect the Davos crowd will be very polite to him.

Sad.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 am

Addie wrote:
But some White House officials, including conservative adviser Stephen Miller, feared that Graham and Durbin would try to trick Trump into signing a bill that was damaging to him and would hurt him with his political base. As word trickled out Thursday morning on Capitol Hill that Durbin and Graham were heading over to the White House, legislative affairs director Marc Short began to make calls to lawmakers and shared many of Miller’s concerns.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 am
I hope the President* goes to Davos. He deserves to be treated the way he treats others. But I suspect the Davos crowd will be very polite to him.

Sad.
I bet same treatment as with the Gx, EU and NATO meetings, he will give his speech and everyone will politely nod, wip on their toe tipscause the end is overdue, and some will be caught on camera with a wide grin on their face. For the rest he will largely remain isolated. I assume he will not take long walks thru Davos in the snow, golf carts don't move well in that environment.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am

Addie wrote:
For those people who don't want to read it. Essentially Graham and Durbin had hammered out a Bi-partisan deal and were bringing it to the White House at Trimps invitation. After Trump publicly saying that he would sign anything they put in front of him, and that he would "take the heat," the racist brigade were afraid he would actually sign something. so they all got to work on him, knowing that Trump goes with the last person to say anything to him. When the Senators actually arrived, Trump was hostile to any deal, and Kelly was in the room to keep an eye in case Trump changed his mind again. The meeting was short and contentious.

Return to “Congress”