Resolution to Censure President Trump: Re "Shithole"

Mikedunford

Re: Resolution to Censure President Trump: Re "Shithole"

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm

It’s remarkable that there are apparently people who don’t quite seem able to grasp the difference between an alleged entertainer and the President of the United States.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:58 pm

I think most of us do. So far only one of us can't tell the difference.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 pm
Kendra wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Might as well dump there here as another thread.

https:// www.facebook.com/washingtonpost/posts/10157326700987293

26240841_10159735162555398_2426482612029243000_o.jpg
:rotflmao:

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:50 pm
Of course it's not going to happen, just like I'm not going to win the lottery. I harbour no illusions about it happening, much like I harbour no illusions about winning the lottery (which is why I never buy a ticket.) In fact, the odds of Trump acting like a decent human being are about the same as me winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
You stand a much better chance of winning the lottery.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Trump supporters are now saying he didn’t say “shithole”, he said “shithouse”.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Skip Intro wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm
Trump supporters are now saying he didn’t say “shithole”, he said “shithouse”.
That doesn't matter, but it gets Tom Cotton and Perdue off the hook. :rotflmao:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm

See, they weren’t lying after all.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Skip Intro wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm
See, they weren’t lying after all.
Exactly.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Off Topic
spotted on my young RWNJ "friends" page
Fox & Friends
Yesterday at 12:58pm ·
Liberals continue 'racist' narrative after President Trump's comments, but how quickly they forget this isn't the first time a top politician has spoken this way...

The woman says:
....Obama referred to the African country ..... Libya as a "blank-show"
NO. Obama referred to the CONFLICT in Libya as a shitshow..
Thursday 10 March 2016 2
Barack Obama says David Cameron allowed Libya to become a 's*** show'
Unprecedented attack by serving US President claims UK was 'distracted'
Barack Obama has sharply criticised David Cameron for the UK’s role in allowing Libya to become a “shit show” after the fall of the dictator Muammar Gaddafi, in an unprecedented attack on a British leader by a serving US President.

Mr Obama said that following a successful military intervention to aid rebels during the 2011 Arab Spring revolt, Libya was left to spiral out of control – due largely to the inaction of America’s European allies.

In a candid US magazine interview, Mr Obama said: “When I go back and I ask myself what went wrong… there’s room for criticism, because I had more faith in the Europeans, given Libya’s proximity, being invested in the follow-up.”

Singling out the British Prime Minister, he suggested that Mr Cameron had taken his eye off Libya after being “distracted by a range of other things”.

Mr Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy, then the French President, pushed hard for the bombing raids on Colonel Gaddafi’s forces that led to his fall, but since 2011 Libya has sunk further into violence and civil war, and latterly has become a focal point for Isis in North Africa.

Mr Obama went on: “We actually executed this plan as well as I could have expected: We got a UN mandate, we built a coalition, it cost us $1bn – which, when it comes to military operations, is very cheap. We averted large-scale civilian casualties, we prevented what almost surely would have been a prolonged and bloody civil conflict. And despite all that, Libya is a mess.”

Referring to that mess in private, Mr Obama reportedly uses the more colourful term, “shit show”. <SNIP>
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 23976.html

Obama Blames Cameron For Libya Becoming A "Shitshow"
In a recent interview with The Atlantic magazine, US president Barack Obama appears to partly blame David Cameron for what Obama called a "shit show" in Libya.
Obama, The Atlantic reported, described the present situation in Libya as a "mess".
But privately he is more candid, labelling it a "shitshow".
https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewchampio ... hkAv8yjwa3

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

Using the Google-Books search engine I had no problem finding about twenty books where the expression "shithole countries" was used with reference to pretty much the same countries supposedly intended by Trump. Also Google dredged up about 40 books more without displaying the actual use of that expression but the fact that they came up with the search suggests that maybe they used the same expression.

So the expression - and even its application to Haiti and west Africa - did not begin with Trump by a long shot.
It was rough language, but there's no law at all that our President has to talk like Elsie Dinsmore.
It was also said at a WH meeting at which journalists were excluded and the story of this expression was blabbed by the one and only Democrat at that meeting, which suggests a breach of confidentiality. Trump certainly didn't say this for public consumption.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:18 am

Yeah, he's a great guy, Forti. :roll:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 am

It is not the use of that obscenity that matters. It is the racist thinking that enabled Trump to say it.

We do not want racists in positions of power in this country. Our history is already badly stained by generations of racists — people in power who are prejudiced against persons of African, Native American, Hispanic, Chinese, and other Asian descent. Trump is not the first president who is openly racist; in the 20th century Calvin Coolidge and Woodrow Wilson were also racists.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am
Using the Google-Books search engine I had no problem finding about twenty books where the expression "shithole countries" was used with reference to pretty much the same countries supposedly intended by Trump. Also Google dredged up about 40 books more without displaying the actual use of that expression but the fact that they came up with the search suggests that maybe they used the same expression.

So the expression - and even its application to Haiti and west Africa - did not begin with Trump by a long shot.
It was rough language, but there's no law at all that our President has to talk like Elsie Dinsmore.
It was also said at a WH meeting at which journalists were excluded and the story of this expression was blabbed by the one and only Democrat at that meeting, which suggests a breach of confidentiality. Trump certainly didn't say this for public consumption.
Wow. You sure know how to use Google.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am

Fortinbras wrote:

whatabout whatabout whatabout whatabout...

And using the Google-Books search engine I had no problem finding over 38,000,000 books where the term "Africa" was used. In other words, the use of that term is vanishingly small.

And of your 20 or 40 books, none of them were quoting a sitting U.S. President in a meeting where he was discussing immigration, and explaining why non-whites shouldn't be welcome here.

As everyone here other than you seems to understand, the term is not the issue, the racist thinking is.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Edit: By the way, freedom of speech comes before freedom of the press in the first amendment; it isn't just limited to journalists. Senator Durbin represents the people of his state, and had a duty to reveal this information.

But if you think only journalists are allowed to report on our embarrassment of a president, show me your papers, please. While I don't consider myself a journalist, my reporting has actually been credited on page 1 of a major U.S. newspaper.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am

:like:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 am

Jennifer Rubin

@JRubinBlogger

many GOP lawmakers now consider lying in defense of the president to be routine, part of their normal duties as card-carrying Republicans.
http://
wapo.st/2EH9s4h?tid=ss
_tw&utm_term=.3107c95ef39b

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am

The Hill
House Dem: Trump censure resolution meant to put Congress on record opposing racism

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Monday that a resolution censoring President Trump for disparaging marks he reportedly made about Haiti and African countries is meant to put Congress on the record opposing racism.

“The goal is to put the Congress of the United States on record that we don’t approve of racism and that the president, when he makes these kinds of racist remarks, he’s not speaking for the people of the United States,” Nadler said on CNN’s “New Day." ...

Nadler said Monday that he would “absolutely” call Trump a racist, describing the latest reports as consistent with the president’s past behavior when responding to the violent clashes between white nationalists and protesters in Charlottesville, Va., last August.

“What he was clearly saying was, we don’t want black or brown people, we want white people coming here. And that’s straight racism,” Nadler said of the “shithole” comments.

¡Estiveo! come home.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am

Robert Reich
Page Liked · January 12 ·

America has always been made stronger by immigrants from all corners of the world.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm
Flatpointhigh wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 pm
Kendra wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Might as well dump there here as another thread.

https:// www.facebook.com/washingtonpost/posts/10157326700987293

26240841_10159735162555398_2426482612029243000_o.jpg
:rotflmao:
My Work is Done.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
That others have said it, that there was no law against it, that it was a closed door meeting, none of these are relevant. It doesn't even matter if he said 'shithole' (dem claim) or 'shithouse' (gop omission) is of little consequence. Its place in the larger 'we want cheap middle class people from white countries, not cheap lower class people from brown countries' narrative is what people are reacting to, with the specific wording simply being a more blatant than usual example.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:38 pm

While Fortinbras, the originalist, continues to chase the origins and usage of "shithole," the rest of us are looking at the policies, the laws and regulations that Trump wants to impose against people from the countries he believes are shitholes.

So keep up your etymology, Fortinbras; it will keep you out of trouble. The rest of us will not be so easily distracted.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Jon Lovett: "Trump's racism impacts our policies every day."

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
It was also said at a WH meeting at which journalists were excluded and the story of this expression was blabbed by the one and only Democrat at that meeting, which suggests a breach of confidentiality. T
It wasn't just the evil Democrat, Forti. Grassley, Republican, confirmed he said it, and newspapers said "sources," Plural, which means that IF there was only one Dem at the meeting then Republicans definitely blabbed to the press or confirmed it. Hell, smeone probably told the press that Trump confirmed it in a phone call where he called a "freind" who had to sit there saying "uh huh" as Trump ranted down the phone at him about Grassley talking up to his genious just becasue he said shithole and we all know he is right and...

Bot that isn't the point. Nothing else was leaked out of the meeting that we can tell, so for some reason THIS was egregious. Rather than collating every time someone said shithole in the history of the word. maybe you should stop and think why people feel that way.

And I am going to try and explain it.

The fact is, when anyone is at a meeting like this. they represent something. Whether it is the department of agriculture, or Mickey mouse wearers, or Vampires, or (in the President's case) the voters of America AND the government he is the chief of, you represent someone. And that demands you measure what you say against that responsibility. That actually stresses you out, so its very common for people to unload in private after meetings. But mostly that does not matter. During the meeting, you are aware that you are not talking for yourself. You are talking because your expertise has been chosen to represent others.

Now its a lie if you say "you are not a racist." Yes you are. You have biases. I have biases. HOWEVER, you are called on to say to yourself "Don't act like an asshole." Normally that rule gets you along.

NOW, lets get back to the meeting. The guy who was there, at a meeting about Immigration policy, who was representing the people of America AND the head of the organization who was going to implement these policies, decided in that meeting to say that the people of America, and the Government organizations considered the countries in the continent of Africa to be shitholes, and that they should restrict immigration to people from everywhere else. That means that he told Africa that the people of America conciders them Shitholes and that he was arguing that the policy of the American goverment should be that these counties are shitholes, and every country that now has to deal with America has to in the knowledge that America considers them shitholes.

Aside from everything else, he just put every trade agreement between the USA and 30 odd countries in jeopardy. And the fact that people are trying to defend it makes it worse. Especially when the defense is that he was not calling them Anus's, he was actually calling them Toilets. :thumbs:

And here is the logical counter to whataboutism. A million people would say what you said, and it does not change your own guilt about what you said one iota. A million people can steal, but you will be still just as guilty of stealing.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm
It’s remarkable that there are apparently people who don’t quite seem able to grasp the difference between an alleged entertainer and the President of the United States.
Saw a new meme this morning. Obama lied all the time with polish. Trump tells the truth all the time crudely. Truth = why we ❤️ Trump.

Return to “Congress”