House Administration Committee: Sexual Harassment Policy in Congress

Sunrise

Re: House Administration Committee: Sexual Harassment Policy in Congress

Post by Sunrise » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 pm

The little yellow duckies on his pj's are just adorable, aren't they? Bless his heart. :daydream:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Re: House Administration Committee: Sexual Harassment Policy in Congress

Post by Addie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

WaPo
Amid Kavanaugh uproar, changes to Congress’s sexual harassment rules stall

Long before Congress was consumed by the wrenching fight over sexual assault allegations against Brett M. Kavanaugh, lawmakers had promised to make the process fairer for those who accuse lawmakers or staffers of sexual misconduct.

But nearly a year after the #MeToo era began, lawmakers have failed to deliver on that pledge — and it is not clear when they will.

Aides on Capitol Hill still have no choice but to report abusive behavior through a system that was widely decried last year as favoring lawmakers over employees who allege mistreatment. After lawmakers could not agree on a package of changes, they punted the issue until after the midterm elections — which are now shaping up as a battle between the #MeToo movement and Republicans who say many accusations have gone too far.

Some victim advocates and lawmakers who support changes view the delay as a sign that Congress has lost its urgency toward improving itself as a workplace and addressing one of the central concerns of #MeToo activists — holding powerful men accountable for sexual assault and harassment.

Return to “Congress”